Sinking Valley Country Club

Year Built 1963
Architect Ed Ault (1963)

Bar, Grill

Great Day of Golf

The course is laid out very nice. This is one of our favorite places to play golf.

Friendly!

First time on this course. Staff exceptionally friendly. We will be back!

Great Day

I live about 45 mins from Sinking Valley but come here 3-4x a year and have never have a bad experience. It's been a hot, dry summer but this course is in better condition than most; the fairways and greens are still in very good condition, the rough had recently been mowed and the course is very playable. I love the layout - it has a nice mix of par 4s, par 3s of varied lengths and a couple of monster par 5s, but 2 reachable ones as well. The clubhouse/pro shop are average in appearance, but I come here to play golf and I feel they offer great value for what I pay, and that means more to me than a fancy building. The greens here set this place apart from most of the area public tracts - smooth, they have some speed and many have subtle breaks that aren't seen on the first visit. Friendly members welcome you and thank you for your patronage; that along with zero snootiness in the pro shop makes one want to come back again and again. Great job to the staff here both inside and out! Great rural golf course!

Like to golf

This is a nice course to play, but it is a little more challenging due to the uphill and downhill lyes. The course is in great shape considering they haven't had much rain.

Course is much nicer shape than last year although it has always been a good course. Perfect weather and pace of play. Great day!

Country Club Conditions

Course was in excellent condition from tee to green! My compliments to the Greenskeepers. Good layout that is fairly open. Lots of up and down which is to be expected with the surrounding landscape. Well worth playing if you are in the area.

Stay below the hole here

Our foursome was in the area playing for the weekend and decided to try this course for the first time. We were welcomed by a friendly staff and even given some free tees prior to our round.

There is a driving range , practice bunker and a sand trap to prepare for the round. The bent grass greens rolled much nicer than a lot of public courses out there and its best to stay below the hole especially on the back 9 that goes a little up the grade to the ridge. There is a par 3 up there with a green like a ski slope. Yes i 4 putted for double bogey.

The wooded course was quiet and peaceful.
It was worth the trip and we are planning to return for another visit

If you're going to Altoona Pa

A family matter brought me to Altoona Pa, Most likely for the last time. So as any avid golfer would I brought my clubs and booked a tee time at Sinking Valley on Saturday. The course is surrounded by just stunning mountain views and even pictures can't describe them.
The pro shop has everything you need as well as YARDAGE Books ( take note courses that don't ) that traveling players need. The Staff is very friendly, yellow stakes means no carts past them, $ 7. for range balls range is good, it has target flags and bag stands a bunker and chipping green and a clock. Putting green is by the 1st Tee box. Electric carts,, so very nice and quiet and paved cart paths and good directions. Starter / Ranger even though he wasn't doing much rangering and a beverage cart. The course opens with a par 5 dog leg right creek on the right behind the trees, I got out of there with a 6. The fairways were dry but not a big issue you could still take your divot and replace it. The greens are receptive and pretty readable. Most of the fairways bottleneck into the greensand have bunkers well placed around them. Elevation changes show up now and then but nothing crazy and water comes into play on 3 holes, par 5 # 1 / par 3 #10 and par 5 on 17. you should be able to get through them dry. Play came to a stand still on 10 the pair I was sent out with left after 9. I was jambed in behind 3 foursomes nowhere to go, even though they said play thru. I began playing with my new partner " Patience" The day was perfect for Golf, hot but plenty of shade at Sinking Valley, and several vending stations. I had 4 cigars left so I wasn't panicking. I shot a 43 on the front, I'm ok with that except the 7 I took on #4. The group behind me caught me at the 16th local guys who were having a great time and invited me to finish out with them. I got thru 16 with a bogey and 17 I crumbled with a lost ball snowman and finished 18 with a bogey. total back was 48. A 91 total less 13 hcp.. ok
I can't believe there hasn't been a review on this course as nice as it is Great Course really nice people inside and out put this on your play list when you get to Altoona Pa.
in memory of M.J.S.