Tom's Run at Chestnut Ridge Golf Resort & Conference Center

Clubs: No

Singles allowed: Yes
Dress code: Proper golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Chestnut Ridge Golf Club in Blairsville offers two 18-hole courses, the original Chestnut Ridge Course that opened in 1964 and Tom's Run, which was added in 1994. Quickly after opening, Tom's Run became a local favorite, earning rank as the sixth best public golf course in Pennsylvania. It is the longer of the two courses, making it a bit more challenging. The layout tumbles across gently rolling hills, weaving in and across laurel-lined canyons. The front nine features steeper inclines and fairways tightly lined with trees. The third and seventh holes in particular will require some careful maneuvering. The back nine opens up into more links-style holes with wider fairways that are more forgiving. Due to its challenging-but-playable character, Tom's Run has hosted several events over the years including the Pittsburgh Open and the Tri-State PGA Championship.

Location is worth the drive at a resort   Great for a weekend splurge locals group getaways   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes undulating greens   Great for drinks patio dining

"Most frustrating round in my life"

Ricky6819869's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/16/2017

I played this course for my first time at the recommendation of a friend on 9/16/17. This was the most frustrating round of my entire life...and not due to my own game. There was a group of 24 players who booked tee times between 9:30am-10:50am. The pace of play from these groups was the slowest I have ever experienced. On the front 9, we asked the ranger on two separate occasions to ask them to pick up the pace a little. He confirmed that he would, and then would drive right past the groups. The threesome behind us even called the clubhouse on multiple occasions to ask them to speed up.

Their pace was not due to being below average golfers. It was strictly due to the fact that they were too preoccupied with literally wrestling each other on several greens and hailing the beer cart girl every hole possible.

My group and the group behind us ended up waiting 15 minutes minimum on each tee box. Waiting to hit our approach shots was even more infuriating, as we watched the group ahead of us wrestle each other to the ground.

After the round, we even entered the clubhouse to complain, which is a rare occurrence for any of us as we understand the pace of play is sometimes slower. However, management and the rangers did absolutely nothing to alleviate the situation. It took a total of nearly six hours to finish our round (as a twosome).

If I were to recommend this course to anyone, management must address several issues that were stated prior. The course itself is great and offers several challenges, yet the entire day was extremely disappointing. I understand groups of friends want to have fun and mess around on the course, but this experience was incredibly disappointing.

"Fall golf"

Randy8232246's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/08/2015

Good shape. Leaves not bad. Paid twice as much as our playing partners and the booked on golfnow as well. Not sure how that happened???

"C.R. was above PAR......."

DenRen's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/05/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Course was in great shape. Some leaves but to be expected. Took an early (9:00)tee time and finished in about 3 hours.<br/> Only one negative was on the back 9, one green near the pond/lake was covered with duck p...!

"But for the leaves - it was great"

pourdog's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/05/2015

The leaves on the early holes slowed down play - but after we got into the open things really picked up. I really enjoyed the course and look forward to playing again

"Course has really gone down hill"

Rsteinhart's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/04/2015

Played this course about 10 years ago and it was in great shape. They have really let it go. Not even considering that they charged full rate despite the greens recently being aerated, the conditions were bad.

Greens were obviously bad in addition to the aeration. Fairways were awful and there were weeds in the bunkers.

Definitely needs improved maintenance to justify the costs.

"Its been better"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/26/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Very nice course, but I have seen the conditions much better in the past

"Montain views"

toyota123's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/25/2015

It was a great day. My brother and i thought the course was in great shape. The weather could not have better. The layout was nice with great views. Some of the holes were challenging with water and sand while others were quite easy making for a good round. i will play this course again.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Better than most"

moeb041's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/12/2015

The fairways could of been swept up from the clumps of grass from cutting them.Drainage isn't bad. Good greens. Leaves could be sucks up more often. Best view of the mountains in Pennsylvania.

I know it sounds like I'm bashing this course but in reality I really enjoy playing here. Friendly staff. Good food. I'm just hoping the Pro or higher ups will read this to know what needs caught up work wise.

I play 2 to 3 days a week at various courses. This is Def one of my most favorite. Electric carts are a plus and as dumb as it sounds it's nice the course has a food cart that comes around because 80 percent of the courses in PA dont.

"Fairways were pretty rough"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2015

The course was in fair condition. I know you have to arriate the greens and fairways but when you do you shouldn't charge full price. I didn't think it was worth the $44 to play today, there was so much water in the fairways you couldn't take a divot or it turned into a all out chunk shot. And when you water keep track of where everyone is, we had to drive through sprinklers on 3&4!

John2097897's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/29/2015

My brother and I played Tom's Run which is a very nice course however, I don't know who's idea it was to let 8 people play together 3 groups ahead of us which we caught before the front nine was even finished, I've played here before and always have seen a ranger same with Chestnut Ridge but yesterday we didn't see one, it took us almost 5 hrs to play 18 holes which is absolutely ridiculous!! I'm not a scratch golfer by any means but I don't play slow or hold anyone up and let people play thru when I'm holding them up!!

"Golf"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/02/2015

Overall this is a great deal for a great course. Unfortunately due to the current weather conditions that we have been having in the area the course was rather dry. There were several spots where the grass was so dry/dead that you were hitting off of the dirt. Hopefully we get some rain soon to help with this.

"Worst conditions have ever seen at this course"

hack69's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/19/2015

Have played this course numerous times, used to be a gem, not sure what is going on. Numerous traps had no sand and rocks the size of your head, clover and weeds in rough around greens. I know it has been a wet summer but conditions are not up to par, at $60, not worth playing too many other courses in W. PA to play that are in better shape for half the price

Robert5996614's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/18/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Course was in excellent condition. Perfect mix of challenging and forgiving holes. Best course in the area and Hot Deals on Golfnow (~$30) make it an absolute no brainer to book a round. Both courses are a must play, but Tom's is slightly more challenging from a strategic standpoint

"Sloooow"

Joe1397234's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/11/2015
Previously played Played with a group Verified Purchaser

6+ hour round caused by a scramble. Brutal. I would comment on the marshals, but I've never seen one here. At least we finished. Not sure about the 8 groups behind us that probably ran out of light. Course was just ok with amount of rain lately

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2015

Only negative for the course was that many of the bunkers were being eliminated/refurbished and marked as ground under repair. Beautiful day beautiful course, made a bad day scoring for me still very enjoyable!

"Coolers"

mscerbe's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/07/2015

This is an awesome course. Even with a high slope rating, the course is playable for all skill levels. I am just surprised that a Resort/stay and play does not have coolers for the carts. I bought a $15 six pack and was given a plastic bag filled with ice that melted before finished round. This course does not turn at clubhouse so had to go without ice.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"Fun course"

Egrotz46's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/25/2015

From the white tees 5900+. Nice test of golf. Greens were in excellent condition.

"Tom's Run is a must play"

Sam6425080's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/23/2015

Loved the course. Conditions are top notch. Two beverage carts out was very nice. Pace of play could've been better, otherwise it was a great

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Traps"

Michael5127096's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2015

The only thing that they need to improve are the conditions of many of the sand traps otherwise five star<br/> They need to have breakfast at cafe

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Try it, you won't be disappointed"

Andrew9264125's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/13/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

Good course, tough shots if you're not in the fairway. Greens were in great condition.