Mount Mitchell Golf Club

Type Public/Resort
Scorecard for Mount Mitchell Golf Course
Blue M: 70.0/132 330 200 370 380 520 170 340 500 360 3170 340 145 530 430 450 180 490 360 400 3325 6495
White M: 68.2/125 W: 73.5/136 320 175 360 370 490 145 320 480 350 3010 330 125 490 410 420 120 480 350 390 3115 6125
Gold M: 65.0/106 W: 69.1/122 260 130 280 320 460 125 290 360 250 2475 290 90 440 330 375 110 400 290 270 2595 5070
Red M: 63.9/102 W: 67.4/117 260 130 280 270 460 120 300 350 250 2420 290 85 430 320 370 100 400 270 270 2535 4955

Year Built 1975
Architect Fred Hawtree (1975)

spectacular

The course was in impeccable condition due partly to the fact that carts are never allowed on the course. My sons and I had the course practically to ourselves since we had a late tee time on a rainy day. Fortunately we encountered only a brief shower which interrupted us for about 10 minutes. This is a pristine, beautiful, lay-out with smooth bent grass greens, full bodied fairways, and a troublesome rough. This is mountain golf at its most enjoyable.

Great Mountain Golf

A mountain course that is basically flat. Beautiful views, cooler temps and wall to wall bent grass. The layout is good with the ball going a long way at this altitude. Course kept in great shape as it is always cart path only. Frequent summer thunder storms keep this course green but wet most of the summer. The location and beauty of this course makes it expensive but worth it to play. A must play if in the area.

Through the years

While having a cold brew in Teo’s Restaurant, I reflected on my past forty years of coming to Mt. Mitchell Golf Club. In my twenties, I played from the white tees. In my thirties and forties, I moved to the blue tees. In my fifties, I moved back to the the white tees. Now in my mid-sixties with a bad back, I thank Mt. Mitchell Golf Club for adding the yellow tees for seniors. From the senior tees, I can still hit greens that are like putting on carpet and on a good day, I can sometimes hit a par 5 in two. But most importantly, I can still enjoy playing one of the best and most beautiful golf courses with my wife in North Carolina. Anyone planning a fall golf trip should not miss this special place.

A Must.

I have been fortunate enough to play some of the best courses in the United States, and while those have all been amazing experiences, Mount Mitchell Golf Club is just a perfect golf experience. As you wind your way up rural highway 80, the air gets cooler and the scent of mountain rhododendrons emanate. As you exit your car, you are greeted by a fantastic panorama of Mount Mitchell and the surrounding mountains with a beautiful view of most of the front nine, #10, and #18. The front nine, is flat and the small river, filled with huge rainbow trout, follows you as you meander through tree-lined fairways leading up to well maintained bent grass greens. The back nine starts off fairly easy, but gets extremely challenging on #12, #13, and #14, as the fairways get tighter than a back alley and the eye is led in the wrong direction. You finish up with a stretch of scoring holes, and the drastically downhill 18th leading back to the clubhouse. Grab a beer and a meal at the no frills (this is a good thing) Teo's and you've pretty much had yourself a perfect day. The only way you would possibly be disappointed is if you expected an upscale clubhouse complete with a corporate shine. This place is not that, and that's a good thing. Do yourself a favor and stay at a condo or rent a house through the club and enjoy sleeping with the windows open in the middle of summer and drinking a warm cup of brew while watching wispy clouds float over the highest point east of the Mississippi River. The views are amazing, the price is right, and the beer is cold, what else could you want?

Wonderful Golf

What a great course, mountains, trout streams, perfect weekend

Best Course in NC for the money

I've played the course many times. A little difficult to get to, but worth it. Bent greens and fairways. Wonderful condition. Visually stimulating and challenging to play. Front nine situated in open valley surrounded with holes lined with trees and streams. Very flat. Back nine winds throught the mountains.. 10, 11 and 18 have some elevation, but the other holes are flat. It is an absolute delight to play. Cart path only...all year long. No driving range. You will love this course...if you love golf. It will be an instant favorite. If you are looking for entertainment or fabulous dining, you'll need to go to Asheville.

Great value for the $

My wife have the good fortune to travel the backroads of the US and play a variety of public and private courses. We really enjoyed our round at Mt Mitchell. This was there opening weekend for spring play, April 6th, and the weather was perfect. We chose to walk and price was $35.00 each. The greens were arrified and sanded 5 days prier, but that is the case with most of the courses in this area. At the time we made our tee time we were advised of that and encouraged to wait a week or so. We decided to give it a go anyway. We loved it. Beautiful setting, very wakable for late 50 early 60 yr olds. A river runs throughout the course and it made the walking that much more enjoyable. The landing areas are wide, each teeing area has an accurate depiction of the whole and yardages are on most sprinkler heads. It is a very fair test of golf. The fairways were in great shape for this time of year. It was just one of those courses that made you feel like you were going to play a good round when you got on the first teee.It is a cart path only course, which was not a problem for us. The practice putting green is a generous size and typical of the greens on the course. There is no driving range. The eating area was not open until May, so cannot comment on that. Barry and Dean, who run the pro shop were very personable and helpful, giving us a good history of the course and making us feel right at home. Having been in the golf business over the past 30 years, it was exciting to be on a course that was privately held and open to the public, with reasonable rates, friendly staff and to be in such good condition. We will be back

Burnsville, North Carolina