Type Public/Resort

Year Built 1975
Architect Fred Hawtree (1975)

Bar, Restaurant

Lodging

Lodging Available

disappointed

this place is a cow pasture. the fairways are in bad shape and looks like they have not been mowed in a few days. there is zero sand in the bunkers and there is also grass growing in them. they need to start a sanding policy on the fairways and the greens. the greens are super slow and soggy and in bad shape. the rough is around 3 inches or more.. they have a strict cart path only policy and do not allow push cart also have to stay on the cart path.

i would not go here even if there was no cost to play

Commented on 09/20/2020

I would give it another shot next year. Its usually not like this but I was up there around the time you posted and it was wsy worse than usual. The sand is usually great (covid is preventing sand rakes so they advise you to remove the ball from the bunker) and the greens are always slow because the elevation causes excess moisture. Typically its better to play later in the day so it has time to dry up a bit.

Mt Mitchell at the crossroads

I have played this once great mountain course 20 times over the past 35 years. I am very concerned about it's future after my July 2020 round. Realizing CoVid has made everything difficult for everyone it can't explain the amount of crabgrass in the fairways, bare spots on every green, and overall unkept look that the course currently has. This is truly a visually spectacular location. For the first time in my memory the condition of the golf course actually detracts from the natural surroundings.

Commented on 08/17/2020

ya just played it it was disappointing at best

scenic mountain course

always enjoy playing this course in the shadow of Mt Mitchell. Cart path only keeps the fairways in excellent condition, although many fairways do not drain well in periods of heavy rain making it challenging to find plugged balls. Course winds through the scenic south Toe river valley (monster trout), and is mostly flat with elevation changes only on a few holes. Greens are always in great shape and roll true. Can't wait for the course to reopen in the Spring.

Great Group Outing Course

Course is fun, fair and challenging all in one. Holes 3, 5, 13 & 14 will test the best. The South Toe River meanders back and forth throughout the course layout. Rainbow Trout hang out on several of the holes waiting on golfer treats. Pro Shop staff is great, accommodations in nearby homes or condos is wonderful also.

TURN OFF THE SPRINKLERS!!!!

First off, it's kind of hard to play golf when they turn the sprinklers on when you are standing on the 2nd tee box, and keep them running when are trying to tee off on the 3rd hole. I had to call the clubhouse and then about 5 minutes later the sprinklers were turned off. This was at 1:30 pm, on a full golf course, so I am really not sure what they were thinking.

The course itself is nice, with nice conditions. The greens were really slow though, even though they were in decent shape. But man, it was like walking on a sponge they were so ridiculously wet. This was an 84 degree day with nothing but sunshine, and I walked off the course with soaking wet golf shoes. And based on the fact that they were irrigating on the 2nd and 3rd holes, someone on the maintenance crew would do well to actually check the moisture level on the course, and stop irrigating it. They're basically soaking the course to death.

This course apparently is cart path only all the time, so that's no fun. I would honestly have preferred to walk, but apparently they don't even allow that here.

Oh, and if you are reading this, and you are coming down from New England, and are just visiting the area, Turn off your cellphone during the round and actually play golf. It would be nice if you weren't looking at your phone the entire round, and actually hitting shots was an afterthought to you. This is why I play golf; to get away from distractions. However, no one teaches anyone to play ready golf anymore, so while you were playing around on your phone, I was waiting for you to hit your next shot.

Obviously that last part was no fault of the golf course, but essentially what I am saying is that this is a tourist trap. I wouldn't pay $49 to come back and play here, at least by myself. Only if someone really begged me to come back here I might consider it.

Oh, and I guess the trout swimming on the river over the 15th hole is the big attraction here. Well, I'm not a fisherman, but a golfer. The layout itself was ok, but again nothing that really excited me all that much. And there are better courses in the area with much better views, like Sequoyah National for starters.

Before I forget, the bunkers had minimal hard packed sand in them. Anyone who is not an expert at bunker play will struggle with this crap. Apparently they are spending all of their money on water, and none on sand in the bunkers.

Commented on 08/05/2019

I've played there many times and it's always been nearly perfect. Also the layout is wonderful in my opinion. I agree cart path only all the time sucks but I can understand with wall to wall bent grass and the amount of rain they receive in the high country.

Commented on 07/04/2019

What a waste of ink. Some people never have a good day.

spectacular

The course was in impeccable condition due partly to the fact that carts are never allowed on the course. My sons and I had the course practically to ourselves since we had a late tee time on a rainy day. Fortunately we encountered only a brief shower which interrupted us for about 10 minutes. This is a pristine, beautiful, lay-out with smooth bent grass greens, full bodied fairways, and a troublesome rough. This is mountain golf at its most enjoyable.

Great Mountain Golf

A mountain course that is basically flat. Beautiful views, cooler temps and wall to wall bent grass. The layout is good with the ball going a long way at this altitude. Course kept in great shape as it is always cart path only. Frequent summer thunder storms keep this course green but wet most of the summer. The location and beauty of this course makes it expensive but worth it to play. A must play if in the area.

Through the years

While having a cold brew in Teo’s Restaurant, I reflected on my past forty years of coming to Mt. Mitchell Golf Club. In my twenties, I played from the white tees. In my thirties and forties, I moved to the blue tees. In my fifties, I moved back to the the white tees. Now in my mid-sixties with a bad back, I thank Mt. Mitchell Golf Club for adding the yellow tees for seniors. From the senior tees, I can still hit greens that are like putting on carpet and on a good day, I can sometimes hit a par 5 in two. But most importantly, I can still enjoy playing one of the best and most beautiful golf courses with my wife in North Carolina. Anyone planning a fall golf trip should not miss this special place.

A Must.

I have been fortunate enough to play some of the best courses in the United States, and while those have all been amazing experiences, Mount Mitchell Golf Club is just a perfect golf experience. As you wind your way up rural highway 80, the air gets cooler and the scent of mountain rhododendrons emanate. As you exit your car, you are greeted by a fantastic panorama of Mount Mitchell and the surrounding mountains with a beautiful view of most of the front nine, #10, and #18. The front nine, is flat and the small river, filled with huge rainbow trout, follows you as you meander through tree-lined fairways leading up to well maintained bent grass greens. The back nine starts off fairly easy, but gets extremely challenging on #12, #13, and #14, as the fairways get tighter than a back alley and the eye is led in the wrong direction. You finish up with a stretch of scoring holes, and the drastically downhill 18th leading back to the clubhouse. Grab a beer and a meal at the no frills (this is a good thing) Teo's and you've pretty much had yourself a perfect day. The only way you would possibly be disappointed is if you expected an upscale clubhouse complete with a corporate shine. This place is not that, and that's a good thing. Do yourself a favor and stay at a condo or rent a house through the club and enjoy sleeping with the windows open in the middle of summer and drinking a warm cup of brew while watching wispy clouds float over the highest point east of the Mississippi River. The views are amazing, the price is right, and the beer is cold, what else could you want?

Wonderful Golf

What a great course, mountains, trout streams, perfect weekend

Best Course in NC for the money

I've played the course many times. A little difficult to get to, but worth it. Bent greens and fairways. Wonderful condition. Visually stimulating and challenging to play. Front nine situated in open valley surrounded with holes lined with trees and streams. Very flat. Back nine winds throught the mountains.. 10, 11 and 18 have some elevation, but the other holes are flat. It is an absolute delight to play. Cart path only...all year long. No driving range. You will love this course...if you love golf. It will be an instant favorite. If you are looking for entertainment or fabulous dining, you'll need to go to Asheville.

Great value for the $

My wife have the good fortune to travel the backroads of the US and play a variety of public and private courses. We really enjoyed our round at Mt Mitchell. This was there opening weekend for spring play, April 6th, and the weather was perfect. We chose to walk and price was $35.00 each. The greens were arrified and sanded 5 days prier, but that is the case with most of the courses in this area. At the time we made our tee time we were advised of that and encouraged to wait a week or so. We decided to give it a go anyway. We loved it. Beautiful setting, very wakable for late 50 early 60 yr olds. A river runs throughout the course and it made the walking that much more enjoyable.
The landing areas are wide, each teeing area has an accurate depiction of the whole and yardages are on most sprinkler heads.
It is a very fair test of golf. The fairways were in great shape for this time of year. It was just one of those courses that made you feel like you were going to play a good round when you got on the first teee.It is a cart path only course, which was not a problem for us. The practice putting green is a generous size and typical of the greens on the course. There is no driving range.
The eating area was not open until May, so cannot comment on that. Barry and Dean, who run the pro shop were very personable and helpful, giving us a good history of the course and making us feel right at home. Having been in the golf business over the past 30 years, it was exciting to be on a course that was privately held and open to the public, with reasonable rates, friendly staff and to be in such good condition. We will be back

Burnsville, North Carolina