Greencastle Green Golf Club covers more than 200 acres of lush, rolling countryside studded with mature trees and tranquil ponds. The winding layout has many doglegs and incorporates a variety of elevation changes. Golfers should be prepared for a fair amount of blind shots as well as uneven lies. The spacious golf course has several holes that will please long hitters, but this layout will test your accuracy and course-management skills too. Water comes into play most memorably on Greencastle Green's signature third hole where there is a man-made waterfall and fountain but the par-4 10th is the toughest. This hole has an island green that is cut in half by a large drop in elevation, a good test for the two following holes which are not any less challenging.

Year Built 1991
Architect Robert Elder

Clubs No

Update from Last Year (May 2018)

My yearly trek to Greencastle Greens (as it's a 1.5 hour drive). There was a shutdown on I-70, so found a way around, which caused us to arrive 10 mins before our tee time. They still put us out right away on the back, which we appreciate very much. The course was green throughout and in very good condition. I did see some minor crabgrass sprouting on some holes, but nothing too bad. The bunkers were nice, as was the rough. The greens were tough, as they were rolling extremely fast. I hit on the apron on a couple of the holes and my ball bounced--very high--and rolled off the back of the green! The greens were in excellent shape, but undulated, hard to stick, and as I stated running very fast. The Pro Shop is now on the lower level and allows for quicker check in. We weren't able to stay and take advantage of the grill, however, it has always been very good. I really like this course, and it's worth the 1.5 hour drive. We played on a Saturday morning for $40 (senior rate) and $55 (regular rack). And, we played in 4 hours, which is unheard of on a Saturday! Great job, Greencastle Greens! We'll definitely be back.

Much Improved

This course is really coming up in the world. The course is in great shape and improving every day. The new pro shop allows a place for golfers to relax and shop. The new restaurant with liquor license offers golfers a great meal before or after play. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Central P A Advisor

What Was The Architect Thinking?

This course is splayed over a large tract of hilly land that offers a few memorable views but almost no level lies. Forget about walking the course, one would have to be an Olympian! A sign on the first hole instructs cart drivers to use the Z Rule, but most of the fairways are so steeply sloped along the margins that a cart is uncomfortably tilted making the Z Rule unworkable.

Blind shots are an acceptable aspect of golf course design, but when a golfer can't easily determine which fairway to use from the tee, that design feature loses its charm! That's what we encountered on the ninth tee. One could easily play up the eighteenth fairway where you can see the flag from the tee, instead of the blind ninth.

This has been a very wet spring. Thus, I was not surprised to find the course lush and green. The course drains well; I didn't notice any marshy areas where one should hit a golf shot. And we experienced deluges over the last four days!

Many greens have significant slope; I wonder how many playable pin locations are available on some them. One green had significant bare spots. Green speed is reasonable given the severity of the slope. Some tee boxes are in sad shape and could easily get very hard during dry spells.

The exterior of the clubhouse is very attractive, and the Pro Shop in the basement is brand new.

Homes located along the fairways on the edges of the property should not pose a problem for golfers except, perhaps, on one hole ,#10 I think, where a few yards get close to the fairway. Perhaps the course was designed to accommodate homesites along the interior holes that were never developed. That is a possible explanation for what the architect was thinking.

Commented on 07/18/2019

We appreciate the time you took to thoroughly review our course! We can't say we disagree with your comment about the 9th tee! That's why we're adding forward tee boxes to help with speed of play and confusion on which fairway to play! We are continually making changes to better the course so we hope you'll be back soon to see our changes!

-Greencastle Golf Club

Under New Management

Haven't played in 3-4 years, and heard was under new management. I was surprised that some of the water hazards are no longer there, i.e., the #3 waterfall and #10 water surrounding the front of the green (it's there on the back). However, the course was in very good shape. Tee boxes and fairways were in good shape with plenty of grass, the bunkers had nice sand and I saw no shallow spots or erosion, and the greens were faster and smoother than I thought they would be. The other amazing thing to me was that we tee'd off a little before 11:00 on a Saturday morning and we saw no one! We let a single play through on #9, but didn't see anyone before or after him! We played the course in 3.5 hours on a Saturday morning! Unheard of. The course is a nice layout--not overly hard, but you need to hit fairways! And, some of the mounding and subtle undulations can give you some unfortunate bounces...just be mindful. I see changes the new owners are making, and I do believe we should patronize this course.. What a treat to play a course in great shape on a Saturday morning in 3.5 hours! I'll take it every time.

Commented on 07/18/2019

Hello,
We're so glad to see you are on board with us on this journey we're taking to create a better Golf Club for our community! On our list of goals to accomplish are certainly to fix the waterfall on #3 and fill in the water on #10! If you know of a sponsor, send them our way! (; We are working to keep play fast, but it sounds like you came to play on a particularly fast day! We hope you will be back and we can dazzle you with some new improvements we've made!
-Greencastle Golf Club

Good time

This course has a nice layout and is golfer friendly... Not many tree problems but must hit fairway's on most holes.....9 and 18 always are a challenge to any handicap golfer....good time for all

Course set up

This is the first time I have played the course. I liked the way the course was laid out. I t was very hilly and I liked that type of course.

The course could use more water at a number of places. The green however were in good shape.

Glad I didn't pay full price

The day started with a 4x4 trail to the ugly driving range. I guess my expectations of the course were much higher due to rates they are charging. I can a comparable fee in the area and play much prettier, maintained course. I know it's been dry lately but this course was almost completely brown. Penn National was in much better shape on Wednesday when I played there.

Commented on 11/07/2016

Greencastle costs less than 1/2 of Penn National. Greencastle is very INEXPENSIVE golf. (GolfNow specials of $20/round with cart). Of course they're not going to water or "maintain" as much as Penn National.

My daughter and I walked-on with no tee time and played 18 there Sunday for $43, total. Checking Penn Nationals Greens fees for the same time... $47 each.

Interesting course. Nice lay-out. ( Stay in the fairway! ). Play can come to a grinding halt if you get behind the wrong foursome.

Course has gotten in better shape

It was smoldering hot. A foursome of older gentleman held us up, as a twosome. We followed them the entire course and they never let us play through, poor etiquette. Course was in good shape after all the rain.

Challenging approaches and greens

Nice course. Challenging approaches and greens. Value in playing course previously and knowing when/ how to club up or down with slope, elevation and pin placements

Great course for the value

This course plays just as well as the high end courses in the area. Always in great shape, they really should have the ground keepers repair ball marks when they mow the greens. Several old deep marks in most greens. My only other complaint is they need marshals at off hours as well. My last 3 rounds (played in the afternoon, as a single) were way too slow. I'm assuming their lower the average prices draw folks that don't understand the rules and courtesies of the game. Waiting 15 minutes on every shot and not being invited to play thru is just unacceptable. My last find I actually left after 13 holes because of waiting for the group in front. Driving back to the clubhouse, I didn't pass another group until the 18th green. I haven't played here in 2 months because of this.

Picturesque, challenging course with friendly staff.

A very good price through GolfNow. Course was in good condition and greens are challenging - fun to play.

Interesting holes, especially waterfall hole,

In good shape, challenging, yet enjoyable. Cart paths have been improved tremendously since our last visit. Only complaint we had was the ridiculous pin positions. Perhaps there had been a tournament the day before or the weekend before, but the pin positions should have been changed before switching back to regular play. The average golfer is extremely overmatched by the pin positions.

Good value for maney

Well-maintained, reasonably priced, friendly staff, not to difficult, not to easy course.

course has some holes

the course was in excellent shape considering all the dry weather we had. the greens were soft and a pleasure to putt on.

Greens were excellent.

Roughs were a little dry but everything else was in really good shape. Good mixture of easy and tough holes.

Very interesting and challenging layout

Beautiful views. Each hole is different. For seniors I would suggest playing either the yellow or red tees. If you have never played the course before-red is perferable. Long ball hitters have the advantage on this course

Must play course

Course was in excellent shape,the greens were fast and in perfect condition. Holes 9,10 and 18 are long and tough. The par 3 third is the signature hole, play's 175 yards uphill and has a water fall. Played this course once a year for the last 10 years and the condition seems to improve every time we play. Would play more often but it's more than an hour away. Booked thru Golf Now for a great price.

Enjoyable but spread out.

Really enjoyed each of the holes and the course in general. Nothing super challenging. Nothing super easy. Only drawback was the distance from green to next tee on several holes is very long. On the positive side signs were available so you don't feel lost. Despite the fact the course seems a little understaffed all the staff was friendly and helpful. Greens were spongy from recent aeration/sand, to be expected and shows maintenance is being done. Will play again.

This course is in great condition

They are doing a great job on the course condition,

This is an excellent course for this area, well maintained and enjoyable to play

This course is well maintained and challenging to play. They have put all new cart paths in last year. Fairways are in good condition, greens are excellent, and secondary rough is also mowed, so it doesn't take time to find errant balls. There is considerable woods along some fairways and water to cross on 3 holes.

Mercersburg, Pennsylvania