Middletown Country Club

Middletown Country Club has been one of Bucks County's major golfing destinations for more than a century. Originally designed as a nine-hole golf course in 1913 by Scottish architect Alexander Findlay, the second nine was added three years later. In the many years since opening, the golf course has undergone renovations by both George Fazio and Stephen Kay. This tough course is proof that a layout doesn't have to be 7,500-plus yards to be a challenge. Although the Middletown C.C. golf course plays to a seemingly modest yardage of 6,217 from the back tees, the rolling terrain provided by its location in the scenic Neshaminy Valley makes the course seem much longer. The small greens have plenty of undulations and you'll also be faced with a variety of uphill, downhill, and sidehill lies. There are also towering trees looming above the fairways and water comes into play throughout the golf course as well.
Middletown Country Club
Back 69 6217 yards 68.4 119
Middle 69 5746 yards 66.7 116
Forward (W) 73 5175 yards 64.3 107
Scorecard for Middletown
Blue M: 68.4/119 W: 70.1/125 413 418 360 532 355 198 412 200 310 3198 224 276 440 422 206 430 455 252 314 3019 6217
White M: 66.7/116 W: 69.4/118 385 384 310 516 335 162 356 159 302 2909 184 256 412 412 188 430 405 242 308 2837 5746
Red M: 65.1/111 W: 66.8/115 370 364 275 486 315 73 342 159 247 2631 176 220 416 342 162 430 369 226 258 2599 5230

Year Built 1913

Great Conditions

This course can play so tough. Don’t let the distance fool you, it has plenty of length. Kicked my butt today. But I’ll be back.

Response from Middletown Country Club on 10/18/2018:
Hello, thank you for the five stars! We are glad to hear that you had a good time at Middletown Country Club. We appreciate your feedback, and we can't wait to see you again soon.

Course has nice layout

The layout of the course is nice however the conditions were not so good. I have seen this in a few other courses this year also it may be due to the heavy rains the summer. The Tee Box is could really use some work

Response from Middletown Country Club on 09/25/2018:
Hello, thank you for the three-star review. We are glad that you enjoyed our layout. Thanks for the feedback, and we hope to see you again soon.

This is a great course to challenge your shot shaping

In town for business and found this jewel of a public course. Great experience both on and off course.

Response from Middletown Country Club on 09/05/2018:
Hello Skyla, thank you for the four stars! We are thrilled that you had a great golfing experience while you were in town. Thanks for the feedback! #middletowncc

Great layout

Loved the course, Aeration marred the putting experience. I wish it was called out during reservation.

Response from Middletown Country Club on 09/05/2018:
Hello, thank you for the four stars! We are glad that you loved Middletown Country Club. Thanks for your feedback regarding the aeration.

Nice course, like the layout. Only one par 5 and greens are tough.

Response from Middletown Country Club on 09/05/2018:
Hello Steven, thank you for the four stars! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our course layout and had a good time overall. Thanks for the feedback, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

It’s there if you look

1st Time here in 10 years. I know the course is fun from the many times I’ve played it in the past. You can’t help but feel and see the uniqueness of this course. However, it’s obvious the owners can’t afford to maintain it or simply don’t care. I suspect the former. I’ll note they are doing the basics. They simply need more resources. Greens were aerated recently and I’d expect that to be identified when paying. Never mentioned it. They had some equipment running. My takeaway was there is no regard for the golfer/customer. There was a level of disconnect i found strange. Bottom line - course is fun, however expect to be penalized on good shots, tight spaces, lots of elevation changes.

Response from Middletown Country Club on 09/05/2018:
Hello Dale, we are sorry to hear that your experience at Middletown fell short this time. Your feedback is important to us, and we are glad that you enjoyed the course. Thanks for stopping by!

Nice layout

Although the course could use some work in terms of maintenance around the greens and tee boxes, the layout is very nice and many scenic holes. Has a private course feel although slope of course not very difficult. The greens get tougher from the 1st hole to the back nine. Great par 3’s. If they invested $$$ into the course could very well be a hidden gem and a nce short private country club course. I would recommend playing prefer back nine to front

Response from Middletown Country Club on 08/28/2018:
Hello Daniel, thank you for the four stars! We appreciate your feedback regarding the conditions and we are glad that you enjoyed the course layout. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Fun, but not in great shape

I've been playing at Middletown since 2000. It's a sentimental favorite, fun course with some warts.

First off, never play before mid-afternoon. The pace of play on a weekend morning is horrible and the $55 price tag is a poor value. The course gets really backed up starting at 6, the first par 3 and gets really bad once you make the turn. 10 is another par 3, so expect a back up. Then 11 is a really short par 4 that virtually requires you to wait for the group to clear the green. Not to mention 11 tee is in prime landing area for tee balls off 12 tee. This is the bottleneck of the course and really screws up the pace of play, not really much management can do to fix the problem because there is no space to expand to open up the course/change the layout. I think Middletown is the only course I've ever walked off of due to pace of play (done it at least 3 times, I've learned my lesson).Twilight price of $39 is a more reasonable for this course given the condition and the course is usually pretty empty in the afternoon so no pace of play issues.

The course layout is really solid. 1 and 2 are tough opening holes. 3 is a nice little breather but plenty of ways to get in trouble. 4 is a solid par 5 - dogleg left that funnels towards the green. Can reach in 2 but there's not much room for an errant shot. 5 is a tough short Par 4. If you play driver there is trouble right and a Tree that blocks your approach if too far left with a very sloped back to front green being the last defense. 6 is a picture-esque par 3. Could be really nice with better maintenance. 7 is a really tough tee shot which requires a carry over hazard and trouble left (made more difficult by an uneven tee box). 8 is a below average par 3. 9 is an ok short par 4. They've done some maintenance around the green which makes the prospect of going for the green more fun. 10 is a nice par 3, requires mid to long iron to a small green with a steep slope back to front - par is a great score. 11 is a short par 4 reachable by 3 wood. Another severe sloping back to front green is the challenge on this hole (they've been cutting the hole in an unfair position (front right on a ridiculous slope) this year, basically impossible to make birdie on what I feel was intended to be a birdie hole before the start of a pretty tough closing stretch. 12 is a really tough tee shot. They did some tree maintenance to make a little easier (and more fair), but still demanding - either need to lay up with a 5 iron or fade a longer club. Anything over 200 and straight is dead OB. Good solid hole. 13 is a tough hole, dog leg right, probably the most severe sloping front to back green you'll ever come across - par is a solid score. 14 is an ok mid iron par 3. 15 is a really difficult long dog leg par 4. This tee shot to me has gotten harder over the years as the trees grow in. Used to be able to have a chance to get a 3 wood over the trees but now seems almost impossible. Have to play a draw around the tree which if you execute is rewarded with a nice run out. Still have a tough iron on a sloped fairway to a small green that is protected visually by a false front. Hit a straight tee shot and you've got 200+ approach. 16 is a solid hole, hit a good drive 250 to the left side of the fairway and you have 150 in to a two tiered green protected by OB right behind. Hit a poor tee shot and you're laying up because of the pond protecting the green (which is probably the worst conditioned green on the course). 17 is a short par 4 reachable with a solid 3 wood. Green slopes severely from front to back, so the ideal tee shot if you don't land the green is to be long of the green pitching back into the slope. Otherwise requires a nearly impossible short pitch off the slope to get close to the hole for a birdie look. 18 is a solid closing hole (in terrible shape - cart path is a disaster, it's an unfortunate cosmetic ending to your round that I hope is addressed for what otherwise could be a solid closing hole). Shortish uphill par 4. Left is safe but leaves a tough shot from poor conditioned area to a green which is well protected by a bunker in front. There is a sliver of fairway on top of the hill which is only accessible by a fade or dead straight shot as OB is tight to the right. If you can execute you have a better angle into the green with a wedge in your hand. Green is severely sloped front to back, not a lot of makeable putts on that green, just hoping for a two putt.

Fairways aren't in great shape/virtually non existent on some holes. When you do find the fairways don't expect a plush lie.

Greens have a ton of slope. You'll be faced with a lot of short putts with decent movement to avoid 3 putts. They're in decent shape. If you're above the hole it's impossible to make putts.

Tee boxes aren't in good shape. A lot have some slope to them and a few aren't necessarily set up square to the hole, so it's visually annoying.

Condition of the course aside, I really enjoy the layout. It's not long in terms of yards and doesn't require a lot of drivers, but it demands accuracy and shaping the ball, strategic shot placement off the tee and smart approach shots that must be below the hole. I've had some really low rounds and some really high rounds. If you're not hitting the ball straight, you're in for a frustrating day.

If this course was in better shape, and a little more spread out to help with pace of play it would be a gem. Ultimately, I think management does the best they can do with what they have. I would recommend the course to anyone with couple caveats re course condition and don't go on a weekend morning.

Response from Middletown Country Club on 08/16/2018:
Hello, thank you for the three-star review. We appreciate your detailed feedback, hole by hole on our course. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

6 Hour Round

We couldn't even finish the round. We got through 10 holes in 3 and a half hours and finally had enough. There was at least a two group backup on every hole. My group and I decided to call it a day-it's unfortunate since the course wasn't in awful shape. I made a comment to another golfer and the course and he said it's always like this on weekends. Sounds like they need some better course management to figure out tee times. Definitely will not be playing here again.

Response from Middletown Country Club on 08/07/2018:
Hello, we are sorry to hear that you were not able to finish your round of golf. We are not sure what you are talking about with the pace of play, as we found the opposite to be true. We hope you'll give Middletown Country Club another try soon.
Response from Middletown Country Club on 07/27/2018:
Hello Peter, thank you for the four stars! We are glad to see that you had a good round of golf out there. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a rating, and we hope to see you again soon.

Great time!

Great course, super friendly staff. I had a great day.

Response from Middletown Country Club on 07/26/2018:
Hello, thank you for the awesome five-star review! We are thrilled to hear that you had a great experience both on and off the golf course. Thanks for stopping by, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Never an even lie

Fairways are like a cow pasture

Response from Middletown Country Club on 07/24/2018:
Hello Shane, we are sorry to hear that you did not have a great time with us the other day. Your feedback is important to us, and we hope to see you again soon.
Response from Middletown Country Club on 07/17/2018:
Hello, thank you for the four stars! We are glad to hear that you found our greens challenging and found the course in good shape. We appreciate your feedback, and we hope to see you again soon.

What was and could be isn’t what it currently is...

Looking for a cheap round on my club’s maintenance day I decided to play Middletown because I heard about it’s quirky golden age lay out. I also heard if played before August the course is in decent shape. Here’s the thing, I don’t mind a course that’s a bit scruffy but I hate when a design is completely compromised by conditions. The bones of this golf course are actually really cool. It’s very Alex Findlay, little trouble off the tees, minimal bunkering, fairways and greens using much of the land’s natural contours etc etc. I especially felt like the greens COULD BE the highlight of this short par 68 layout because they are so undulating and use of much of the terrain to dictate break that they’re very demanding from approach through putt. The clear problem with Middletown is money and maintence. The course desperately (and I mean desperately) needs trees removed and brush taken back. I would say at least half of the holes if not more cannot be played with the intended lines because of encroaching vegetation. Next the fairway (and some green) sizes have shrunk so much over time it’s almost comical. Some fairways are less than 20 yards wide simply because a choice has been made to not have fairway grass to maintain. The original fairway lines are clear but they are now rough. 18 is a great example, once an interesting double fairway daring players to take on OB right to set up an approach level with the green the current hole only has the upper FW available while the lower section is completely grown in. There are no longer choices at Middletown simply bang a driver as close to the green as possible on a short par 4 or try to land a long iron on some sliver of FW. Finally (and I know this review is a bit long winded) the greens need to be maintained at a reasonable speed. I love fast greens but when I played the greens were far to fast for their slope and firmness. When short irons aren’t holding and anything above the hole will not hold the green (11 is a good example) that’s a problem. At times I felt like I was playing a smaller, dumpier version of the US Open at Shinnecock with how baked out the greens were. In the end I think this place could be a super fun quirky little course that offers enjoyment for all golfers. It’s got a really awesome collection of par 3s and is demanding enough on and around the greens no matter it’s yardage. With all that said to ever get to that point the township (someone told me they own it) would need to focus resources on important things: vegetation removal, irrigation, FW restoration, and bunkering. Clearly a lot to be done. In the end for 25 bucks go check out the bones of this place just in case it becomes a park or houses one day or if you’re lucky check it out before it gets the help it needs so you can say you saw it during the dark times.

Response from Middletown Country Club on 07/10/2018:
Hello, thank you for the three-star review. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the course layout as much as you hoped. We appreciate you leaving your detailed feedback and suggestions. Those are important to us. Thanks for choosing Middletown Country Club and we hope to have you back again soon.

Hot day in Middletown

Its was really hot today 100°

Course was in good shape. Greens were fast. Staff was out making sure we had plenty of water. Very friendly staff.

Response from Middletown Country Club on 07/05/2018:
Hello, thank you for the four stars! We are glad to hear that you had an overall good time out there despite the heat. Thanks for playing, and we hope to see you again soon.

Greens were great!

We got a GolfNow deal and it was well worth it. As you all know, you never get a flat lie at Middletown but the course was in phenomenal shape and the greens rolled like those on the tour. I certainly would recommend this course this year to anyone. It’s not real long, but still very, very challenging.

Response from Middletown Country Club on 07/05/2018:
Hello Ray, thank you for the four stars! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our greens and had an overall good experience out there. Thanks for stopping by, and we hope to see you again soon.

I believe they overbooked the course because of Fathers Day and didn't do anything to keep the pace moving. Almost 6 hours to play 18. Long day!

Sand traps need attention.

Response from Middletown Country Club on 06/25/2018:
Hello and thank you for taking the time to review our course, Middletown Country Club, and for the four stars. We apologize about the slow play on Father's Day and for the condition of the bunkers. Your feedback will be forwarded to our staff, and we will make sure to keep working on improving the course so that you have a 5 star experience the next time you are here.

Classic, challenging yet fun

After moving to the area a few years ago, we have grown to love this course. We routinely play in 3-1/2 to 4 hrs (midweek) ahead of their 4:15 pace and that can include walking (it's hilly). As others commented, course and GREENS knowledge is very helpful - 1st timers need to relax and give it another shot - you'll have more fun 2nd time around. Enjoy the beautiful, massive trees and fast greens. Nice bar to watch golf, Phillies or Eagles.

Response from Middletown Country Club on 06/25/2018:
Thank you for leaving us a review! We are glad to hear that you like the course, and on behalf of our staff here at Middletown CC, GO BIRDS!!!
Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania