Golf Club at Ballantyne, The

Golf school / academy: Yes - "Dana Rader Golf School"

Walking allowed: Yes, at certain times
Dress code: Appropriate dress attire includes collared shirt, Bermuda length shorts, no jeans or jean shorts, no halter tops.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Green (W) 71 5400 yards 71.2 130

Location is convenient to the city at a resort worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers entertaining clients a weekend splurge   Challenges include undulating greens bunkers elevation changes   Great for drinks dinner patio dining

"a truly disappointing day"

calliverian's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/12/2018

These were the worst conditions I have ever seen this course in. I have played here many many times but haven’t in almost six months. The ranger said it was soggy out there but that certainly did not describe the poor conditions the course was in. The greens were the slowest I have ever seen them and muddy as well in places. I have always held Ballentyne to a higher standard due to the quality the course used to be . As for amenities there were none available on the course and since the turn doesn’t come back to the clubhouse it’s 4 hours with no, absolutely no refreshments

"A solid layout and very nice course with terrific greens"

LICC's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/08/2018

I'll preface by saying that I played the course when the grass was dormant and all browned out. I liked it and would give it a solid 3-1/2 stars. I tried to picture the how the course would be in the warmer weather and evaluate it but maybe I would bump it to 4 stars if I played it in top condition.

The good- Nice rolling property. Good movement of the fairways. Nice setting of many of the holes. I really liked the greens. They were nicely shaped and had challenging slopes and contours without being severe or tricked up.

A few holes play alongside commercial buildings. Quite a few of the holes are basic hit your spot between fairway bunkers and not much thought involved. And the par-3s while all nice are repetitive (all drop-shots with similar distances).

This is a very good course that I enjoyed playing.

"Nice course. close to everything."

bradjack's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/23/2018
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

The course was nice. It had poured the night before so it was quite wet. It was golf cart path only. The day was sunny and warm which made the wet conditions ok. We enjoyed ourselves. We booked through Golfnow. When we arrived we discovered we paid the normal price. It was upsetting to find out that we paid more because of fees to golfnow. I would recommend you call the course before you book.

"Last Group Out"

danhowze20's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/30/2017
Previously played Used cart Cold weather Verified Purchaser

I booked a single tee time on 12/30/17. Paired up with a threesome. Nicest guys to play with!! Had a lot of fun getting to know them. As it turns out we were the last time off that day due to the grounds crew having to tarp the greens for the freezing temps arriving. We were behind another foursome and they were a bit slow but not overly. The grounds crew were waiting on us on every hole. Even had a marshal telling us to speed up because the grounds crew were having to wait. Nothing we could do about that. Disappointing when that happens. Great course at that rate. Regular rate is a bit too high in my opinion. Hopefully will play it again in warmer weather at a discounted rate.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/14/2017

"Ballantyne resorts slowest ever"

walleye8's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/05/2017

This was the slowest round I have played all year. Almost 5 hours on a weekday No cart person, snack bar at the turn was not open. So 5 hours out there with nothing to drink. Tee boxes were in poor shape and many of the green side bunkers lacked enough sand. I’m not sure what has happened recently but not the same course conditions that we have played before. Just no excuse for a 5 hour round.

"Pace of play, conditions"

walleye8's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/05/2017

Unfortunately the ridiculously slow pace of play has cast a cloud over what I had considered to be a good golf course. I never believe a round of golf should take more than 4 hours. The score card slots 4:30. So I was disappointed a bit before we even teed off a disappointing 15 minutes late. Including first tee wait, my round of golf took over 5 hours! We waited every hole and every single shot. On a Tuesday as well! Cart path only, no reason why and stil no excuse for such slow play. Greens were great and why not overseed entire course as is with 18th? Every single tee was a disaster, more sand than grass. For what should be premier course and one of most expensive to play in this area, my expectations were destroyed. Not sure what is going on but I will be hard pressed to want to play there again.

"Ballantyne"

OptimistCentral's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/27/2017
Previously played Walked Perfect weather

The course was good to play. We had a cart, but had to stay on the cart path, the fairways were not wet and there weren't any frost. We were told it was to prevent damage to the grass, we had a tee-time at 11:30. It felt like we walked, with the way the fairway sloped. We booked the tee-time on line, there was no note(s) or any indication it was cart path only. The greens had ball marks left from all the players ahead of our group, no one bothered to repair their ball marks.

"Best Public Course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/13/2017

It’s a bit pricey...... But this is the best public course in Charlotte. The Greens are always in phenomenal condition. The tiered greens make it challenging. Not too long though. Overall it’s a great course

"Nice design, tough greens"

u000002062462's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/31/2017

Nice variety of holes. Amazingly serene for a course in the middle of office buildings in Ballantyne. Greens are small, undulating and fast. Tough to hit close approach shots. Great set of par 3's.

"Excellent Choice in Charlotte"

laneburtz's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/24/2017

Although this is a hotel course this is not your usual resort course. It is demanding, requires good shots in order to score low and requires a lot of good putting. The course is beautiful and was in great condition!. And for a little over $60 on a weekday, it’s a great golf value.

"Great course, play early"

Devo7576's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/22/2017

This is the second time I played the course. The first time was early morning and the course was perfect. Greens were fast and smooth, pace of play was 4 hours and very enjoyable. This time I played at noon and the course was very nice, greens were not as fast as last time, but still good speed. There were two negatives: pace of play and the bunkers. The bunkers in the middle had no sand and were showing the liner for many of the ones our group were in. The pace of play was over 5 hours with carts off path and no ranger to move play along. Other than that I would definitely recommend this course to anyone, just play early!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2017

"A Good Resort Course"

bobjacobs's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/13/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Enjoyed a round at Ballantyne GC on a cloudy, but not rainy day. Rains the previous few days had the course somewhat softer than I expected. Pace of play was good, probably due to the lack of players on the course. Overall very good conditions - greens and fairways were well maintained. Tee boxes were a little bare, but not too bad. Interesting routing through an office park made for some unusual perspectives. A little on the pricey side relative to other courses in the Charlotte area, but not outrageous.

"Avoid"

u220807830's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/11/2017

First off, I had a great round but this is an honest review. This was a major disappointment. I now played here several times and it just keeps getting worse. The course is in fair condition. You would expect more from the only public golf course in the Charlotte area over $75. They don't have anyone managing the course so it's not uncommon to have 5+ hour rounds here. Greens were slow and shaggy and the course layout is average at best. The tee boxes are all jacked up and so is the driving range. They definitely need to schedule tee times a larger increments than every 8 minutes because so many people who play are hacks. I'm sure a lot of people find it nice because they have a big hotel attached but if you have played much golf in your lifetime this place will not be anything other than an average. Public golf in Charlotte is pretty weak, but to spend your money at this course is waste. The whole experience is low vibe. Major improvement would be to set the expectation that we play 4:30 rounds here.

Course Layout: Poor

"Great Day"

kg70041's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2017

Booked a Hot Deal for a late morning start on Sunday and was not disappointed. Top-notch from the get-go and we were able to get off an hour early after warming up at the practice facility. Pace of play was great as the course was relatively empty. We stopped for a quick bite after #10 and let two two-somes through and still managed to barely crack 4 hours for the round.

Aside from some pretty chewed up tee boxes on a few holes, course conditions are outstanding. Greens were pretty fast but rolled true.

Course is definitely worth a try if you haven't before. Plenty of challenging holes and a few relatively easy ones to break it all up. Pretty short from a yardage standpoint compared to some other local courses but they make up for it with bunker placement and other contouring.

"Corporate Golf"

ajjames1120's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

The course was in great shape. It was differently playing such a great course with all the buildings around. I enjoyed the round and I would recommend. When you are playing this course its hard to remember you are in North Carolina.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

"Wow!"

Jfazio13's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/13/2017

At 6,700 yards I was thinking it's a little on the shorter side. Days earlier i went to practice at the course and noticed how fast the greens were. Fast forward to the round, two holes in I knew I was in for a tough day of golf. Each hole was uniquely their own and filled with slopes and elevation differentials including the greens which were running at a 13. This course seemed longer than the 6700 yards and definitely required distance control as you could not be above the hole. Great course, great condition and PGA caliber greens. Only problem is I live in FLA.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/13/2017

Excellent golf course for the $42 hot deal. Very good experience, starter was very personable, gave me a logoed ball. Course very nice, although as a plus handicap thought the greens had too much undulation for the 13+ green speed and wonder how enjoyable course can be for higher handicappers.