Type Resort/Public
Ballantyne Hotel Golf Club

Year Built 1997
Fairways Hybrid Bermuda
Greens Champion Ultra Dwarf
Architect Architect Land Design, LLC (1997)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Dana Rader Golf School"

Walking Allowed Yes, at certain times
Dress code Appropriate dress attire includes collared shirt, Bermuda length shorts, no jeans or jean shorts, no halter tops.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in North Carolina (2015 #6)

Entertaining Clients 26

Place of play too slow

I was so pleased with the condition of the greens. This long hot summer had little effect on these well kept greens. Place of play was terrible. Had a 20 minute late start and got worse from there. Only saw the Marshall twice but that was on the 13th and 15th, by then it was too late. Round took 5 1/2 hours with a three some.

The course was in great shape, it was Hot out there , the course sent out ice cold towels for everyone.Hope to play again soon

Excellent resort course, but pricey without a deal.

I play this course via Golfpass free hot deal (monthly). Large staff keeps course in excellent shape, but all those guys cost money and rack rates are high. Fairways are good and greens are speedy most of the time. Good mix of holes, but some are fairly short. Don't know how long this course will be open, as new owner/developer takes over.

Still worth it...

The only bad thing i can say is that i am disappointed how slow the greens have been the past couple times i have played here. My favorite aspect of this course is that the greens usually run 11 or 12. Lately its been 8 at best. They still run true and are in good shape just so much slower than they once were. Staff is still super friendly and the amenities are brilliant.

Fun Course

Staff at pro shop was not as friendly as in the past. Seemed more interested in other things than the guest. Course is fun and in great shape. Pace of play was too slow and the ranger did not offer any help, just some mentioned 1-6 is always slow. Play the course, before it turns in to concrete and steel.

Buh Bye Ballantyne

Replacing golf course in a year with office buildings, homes & shopping. Good luck to locals with your future traffic nightmare!

Well Worth the Wait

I had been aiming to play Ballantyne for several years but just finally made it happen. It was indeed well worth the wait! The course conditions were very good (only a random rough spot or two), the greens were fast and rolled true, the layout was fun, varied and challenging and everything went smoothly with the round, from check in, getting set up to play, pace of play, on-course amenities (water, restrooms, snack shack, etc.) and finish.

I would highly recommend playing this course. If possible, I recommend going during the week as I suspect it is much busier (and costlier) on the weekend.

As some comments noted, it appears that the Ballantyne course will be going away within the next couple of years - a victim of being in a desirable location. If you haven't played this course - ever or in a while -- I'd highly recommend that you get out and so so before it's gone.

Well worth it

Nice course. Great greens. Great condition. Friendly staff

good, fast greens; pricey resort

this is a resort course that does not seem to get a lot of play during the week. Rack rates are high, probably due to the high maintenance and staff costs. Greens are very good and fast. This course is slated for redevelopment, date TBD. Too bad.

Glassly greens

These greens run at about 10.5-11 some of the fastest I’ve been to! Love the challenge of a tough layout and Has both tough slippery greens and a hilly layout that forces you to hit Tough spots...miss and ur left w tough shots! Want to challenge yourself?l..do you Want to get better? Think like a golfer...then play here 2-3xs before it’s to late!!!

It’s ok

7-5-2019
A few of the tee boxes were rough not to mention the greens r quick but bumpy(need some time). I’d love to see these in great shape!! Course needs some love and NOT worth the $80 I paid to play...period! Rather play Rocky River or Eagle chase for half the cost and yet still better conditions. I’m not mad bc I had fun although I over paid . Live and learn.

Decent public/resort course

Very hot day and greens were still recovering from being punched 2 weeks ago. They were fast but bumpy. Wish the rates were more reasonable; luckily used my Golf Pass Free Hot Deal. WIll come back.

Good Course! I hope they don’t develop over it

Course in good shape. Greens had been punched a couple weeks ago, but still rolled smooth. Tuner is they are going to build shops and businesses over the course. We will see I guess.

Beautiful course! But!

The course itself and layout are beautiful. But nobody told us the greens have recently been punched, hit on to the first green walked up and WOW holes and sand! Paid for 3 golfers. We played anyway, on punched greens. After round went into pro shop and told the gentleman behind the counter nicely that it would have been nice if somebody told us before we paid the greens were punched. At lease we would of had a choice to play or not. He was very arrogant and said the morning guy must had been sleeping and blew me off. Just not right! Suppose to be hi-end course! Not! Just Hi-end attitude. Let me just say bag drop guys and starter were all very nice and friendly. Would I recommend this course yes, well worth playing. Just hope you are treated a little better. Would love to play the course with greens up to par. Just blowing off some steam!

You learn the most about an organization when things go wrong

My wife and I were staying at the Ballantyne and slated to play the course on a Monday morning before she was to catch a flight that afternoon. I got an e-mail from one of the pros on Sunday afternoon (e.g., about a 1/2 day before we were supposed to play) saying that they were having an outing (shot gun start) on the day we were supposed to play. The e-mail indicated that we would not be able to finish our round without running into the outing.

While they indicated that they would have tried to set us up at a different course, given that it was Monday the courses would not be open. So we decided to play anyway.

Long story short, we only got 14 holes in, but Ballantyne did everything they could to soften the blow. They gave us our round for free. They bought us lunch (sandwich, drinks, chips). They gave us range tokens. And the starter crew (who were the best of all of them in terms of focus on customer service) actually gave us each logo balls.

While we were disappointed that we didn't get to finish (mostly because we were really LOVING the course - great layout and really well maintained), the customer service was exceptional.

Weddington, North Carolina