Lykens Valley Golf Course
Scorecard for Lykens
Blue M: 70.2/116 394 484 417 215 391 543 166 355 359 3324 239 394 195 314 206 490 333 556 290 3017 6341
White M: 68.7/114 385 473 410 206 355 527 165 349 354 3224 202 381 171 307 179 425 293 549 282 2789 6013
Green M: 66.6/113 314 473 356 181 320 452 165 349 354 2964 180 340 155 307 179 405 293 469 282 2610 5574
Gold M: 65.8/108 314 430 356 181 320 452 125 300 310 2788 180 340 155 260 160 373 283 469 258 2478 5266
Red W: 67.9/111 305 400 343 122 300 448 110 279 285 2592 137 337 126 256 149 300 253 433 240 2231 4823

Year Built 1960

Dress code Golfers must dress in industry approved golf attire. Tee shirts are permissible as long as they are not offensive. No tank tops, strapless tops, or bathing suit tops are permitted.

Traps/turf needs work

grounds around the greens are extremely blotchy. Traps need redefined and the roughs well..... look I get it you hit off the fairway there should be some type of an impediment penalty however not being able to find your ball because the rough is too tall or the clumps of clippings hide the ball is a little much. Also, guys come on!!!!....??? The trees are out of hand and need trimmed back. I mean my god some of them are so matured that you can’t even play dog legs on the course!!! Basically this place is becoming a mini putt course. Irons off the tee and low shots the rest of the way in. Still definitely worth the price and the GREENS ARE AMAZING!!!
Course Layout Average

Forgiving course

I enjoy this course immensly. It's a forgiving course, however the grass needs to be cut drastically.

Enjoyable Course

The only negative thing I can say about the course is that it was quite wet due to the recent rains. We plan to plan it again once the course has a chance to dry out.
Course Layout Excellent

Where are the water coolers ?

Great course, Great staff but why are there no on course water coolers ? I was told they are worried about people putting stuff in the water ? Easy solution - place the coolers in a cage and lock the cage. No reason paying customers cant get a simple drink of water. Other than that its a GREAT course.
Course Conditions Good
Course Layout Excellent

Great Course. Long Course.

Played Lykens Valley for the first time today. We were fortunate to have beautiful weather and the course didn't disappoint. The course is long. The greens are well cared for, sloped, and fast. The staff was friendly and the restaurant serves a great burger. It's a shame it's such a drive to get there. We will certainly make this a yearly must play.

Slow Play

Great course, but the pace of play was horrible. Tee times were not far enough apart making and the course was full, meaning I waited on every shot on every hole.
Pace of Play Poor
Value for the Money Excellent

If you like speedy greens!?!

Fairways were mowed to within an inch of their life, and in generally fair shape. The green's speed were insanely fast. Towering shots into the greens, with short irons, would not hold, they rolled off. Too be fair, I was told that they had a tournament the day before and the greens were brought up to a 12 on the stimp just for that purpose. It continues to be one of the most beautiful courses in the area, and certainly one worth playing.
Value for the Money Average

A Good Drive Spoiled

I have been fortunate the past several months to play some different courses out of my area. I thought Lykens would be a nice change and the reviews were promising. So much for that idea! In fairness, this course is a bit remote and I think if I only lived a couple miles away I would probably play it but...... since I drove two hours I can't suggest anyone do that. I will say the greens are very nice. The fairways are very hard and have many dead and or bare spots. They were friendly and sent me out ahead of my tee time which was great but..... after chewing up the better part of an hour by the fourth tee, I was totally ready to bail. I stuck it out and came it about 2:15 for the first nine ( I would say that time par for this layout would be maybe 3:15 for 18). Sadly when I arrived at the 10th tee ( a long par three from the back tees) there were suddenly three groups waiting to tee off. I made a quick decision to drive ahead to see if I could just skip a couple of holes but no luck totally backed up so I jumped back over to a parallel fairway on the front nine and played about five more holes before I again got behind the US Open foursome who had no intention of letting a single player through although totally open ahead of them. Here's the deal: They DO NOT monitor play here and because of that, players ahead don't really give a rip what's going on behind them. That's the course's fault. Would like to be more positive because the layout itself is scenic and could be fun but my "Good Drive Was Spolied' this day.
Pace of Play Poor
Course Conditions Fair

Welcoming

The course and especially the greens were in great condition. The thing that always impresses me most is the staff. I always feel that they truly appreciate my business.
Quality of food & beverage Excellent
Off-course amenities Excellent
Course Conditions Excellent

All Around Good Time

This course is in excellent condition and the greens are in great shape. You have to stay on the fair ways because the ruff is relentless. This was the second time I played this course and it was well worth the 75 minute drive. I hope to be back at least one more time this year.The only flaw was the lack of sinage to the next hole.
Quality of food & beverage Average