Oak Lake Golf Course

Oak Lake Golf Course in New Kensington is one of the area's hidden gems. Though you may not have heard of it, this course is well worth a look. The par-71 layout sprawls across gently rolling terrain and boasts well maintained greens that provide excellent putting surfaces. The course starts off with a player-friendly front nine that is wide and inviting. Don't get too comfortable though because the back nine tightens up and becomes much more challenging. The bunkering is heavier on the back nine and there are also some subtle but tricky slopes. Your accuracy will be put to the test as will your course-management skills, but Oak Lake G.C. is not an overly punishing golf course. Players of all skill levels will be able to appreciate the course as well as the idyllic scenery.
Oak Lake Golf Course
Scorecard for Oak Lake
White M: 67.4/116 W: 70.7/119 253 433 134 357 304 144 536 253 319 2733 352 453 139 321 265 118 244 478 382 2752 5485

Year Built 1958
Architect Ferdinand Garbin (1985)

Carts Yes - $13
Clubs No

9/10

Beautiful course. Friendly staff, good conditions. It’s shorter than average at only 5500 yards off the back tees but very challenging. 9/10 recommend especially for the price.

You better go with a partner

I would recommend to take a partner so both can find the balls in the course. A pretty nice course but difficult if you dont hit directly to the fairway. People was friendly I really enjoyed it

Friendly and Helpful Staff

We got a hot deal through golf now, but because of massive storms and rain were going to get totally screwed over. Fortunately, we called the pro shop, and they understood our situation, and even changed their policy to allow us to have a rain check and come back the next week, which they kept their word on. Course was in average shape, and while some of the holes, especially on the back, are throw away holes, it’s a fun little course and I would recommended it to anyone

Nice course but not well kept

This was our first time playing the course. The main problem was that the fairways had not been mowed in what looked like a week or so. We had trouble finding balls in areas where they should have been easily spotted. This course has potential, but it was not well kept enough to make me want to visit again.

Hidden Flags but Not Bad

Great value, front 9 much easier than back 9. But many of the flags, and several fairways, are hidden over hills and their are some thick areas of grass. But it was a fun course. I’d play again.

Great course to practice accuracy and short game.

Fairways and greens were in good condition. Sand traps have been abandoned for quite a while but it doesn’t change the course much since there are so few. My wife and I enjoyed the round.

Great Quiet Round

My buddy and I played 18 in 3 hours. Greens were in excellent shape, even after prior day rainstorms.

Nobody was golfing there and I was surprised. The course was in good shape. Greens were in great shape and Rhere seemed to be a lot of ball cleaners which was nice. The bunkers have 0 sand they are overrun with muck and weeds but just pull your ball out and keep playing. For the money it’s a great place to play. Shot my best round there so I can’t complain. If they put sand in the bunkers and leveled a couple tee boxes it could easily be a $45 per round course. I’m definitely going back.

Challenging for the Value

Booked a Hot Deal so the price was very reasonable. We were a few minutes late but staff was nice and accommodating. Course itself was in pretty good shape as far as fairway cuts and green conditions. However there’s a couple of challenges with this course that will leave less skilled players like my group having a tough day. First off, the course is very hilly. I’m not sure I took a single shot with even footing the entire day, including when in the midway of the fairways. The rough was very unforgiving as the balls would sink very deep into it and often created optical illusions where the ball was only visible from certain angles, leaving us looking for balls for extended periods of time (no one near us on the course so pacing wasn’t a problem because of this) and leading to quite a few lost balls that were only a foot or so off the fairway. Some bugs flying around but nothing too extreme. Would play again but will bring bright colored balls to make finding them easier.

Nice round

Fresh count fairways,greens running a little fast. Sunshine and good friends . Had a great time

The rough is rough

Not women friendly course only 245yds less than the men's tees. The first cut of grass of fairways TOO HIGH AND THICK. Back 9 is tight

Tired and Hanging On

First of all, after arriving after a morning rain storm I can tell you that I was not very welcomed at the course. Maybe they really don't want anybody from Golf Now, I don't know. Well finally I got some real conversation about the course. I got the Keys and off I went. Surprisingly the Greens and fairways were pretty good. Actually the Greens were Very Good. They held and putted true! No Complaint! On the second or third hole I finally saw the main problem at this course! Horrible Horrible Bunkers that have not been worked on in YEARS! I was in one....Totally unplayable! The worst I have ever seen in Western Pa Public Golf! They need to take care of them OR remove them! A Cancer to be sure. If I had members of my Golf League there to play,they would think this was a joke the conditions of the Bunkers. Word of mouth would KILL this place. Somebody does not get it,that whatever dollars you pay to play, you deserve decent conditions, NOT Country Club but Good playable traps! That is What a Golf Couse is supposed to be and what the buyers of time on the course deserve! This place has a neat layout That demands shotmaking even at 5400 yards. Fix the Bunkers, Get a Better Attitude and TRY to attract players! They might be surprised to find that a short well maintained course can and will attract players other than the regulars that accept mediocrity! Maybe the Owners better take a Good Look at themselves and decide whether they want IN or Out of the business. Let somebody Lease the property to turn it around. Because this is the way we have done it for 50 years does not mean it is right!

Tried to give another chance... Never again

I played this course 5 times last year, 2016. I wrote a review then about the lack of upkeep for the fairway and rough. The grass is so high, you can hit a great shot and spend 10 minutes trying to find your ball. It took us 3.5 hours for the first 9. I will NEVER, EVER play here again. This course sucks and you are bound to either lose balls or spend 15-20 minutes finding it. Good luck, I spend way too much on my balls too play here. The course layout is beautiful though and it had its challenges these are the positives of this course.

Awful course

The course was terribly layed out, the staff was fairly friendly but what an awful experience I had. The course should have been shut down with how soaked it was, but that wasn't anything the staff could control. What they could control is the trash everywhere, and the terrible greens. I will never go back and hope the review keeps others from going and wasting their money.

Lower Burrell, Pennsylvania