1.9

Cobbs Creek - Olde Course

Year Built 1916
Fairways Rye Grass
Greens Rye Grass
Architect Hugh Wilson (1916) William S. Flynn (1916)

Shows its age

Cobb's Creek runs through this course and adds very nice views, but this is the highlight, unfortunately. This muni course used to host the PGA, but shows many years of neglect and/or lack of funding for upkeep. The greens on 9/18 were furry. With a 25 foot uphill put on the 2nd hole and a 2-1/2 foot back swing, I didn't make it to the hole. It was as if the putt was on wet Velcro. The course layout offers so much more than what was delivered.

Commented on 10/16/2019

Thank you for your honest feedback. We take your thoughts seriously and are working hard everyday to provide great course conditions for our guests. We appreciate your patience as sometimes weather (or lack thereof) make us pivot our course maintenance routine. If you have any other comments or would like to continue this conversation, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at info.cobbscreek@golfphilly.org. Thank you.

Unfortunate.

Played the Olde Course about five times now, and has always been a nice experience. Despite the poor turf, drainage, etc. I've always been willing to overlook those factors because it's clear the course has great bones and the history is interesting.

However, today was impossible to defend. There seems to be very little effort to maintain even reasonable conditions tee to green. Multiple spots in the fairways had not been mowed - for example, the fifth is a great hole but balls that were hit well into the driving areas were buried under six inches of weeds.

Most importantly, it took our group of three 2 hours and 20 minutes to get to the 7th tee. There was no where to go and no one moving anything along. It's a city course and we expect it to be slower, but that's disgusting all things considered. We walked off in frustration - first time I've done that.

Hopefully, the supposed future restoration comes through and something great can be done with the place. Sad to say because I love some of the shots, but until there are changes, go literally anywhere else.

Commented on 08/20/2019

Thank you for your feedback. We take your opinion seriously, and are working everyday to improve the customer experience. The conditions have suffered due to some equipment and machine issues, but we hope to be able to correct these for the remainder of the season. We hope you'll come see us again, and if you have any other questions or comments please email us at info.cobbscreek@golfphilly.org. Have a great day!

Worn out

This course may have once been OK but is a dog track now. Rumors that investors are circling and plan major renovation. If so prices will rise but basic layout could be nice.

Commented on 08/20/2019

We appreciate your feedback and want to thank you for your review! Come back and visit us again soon.

Above average day

I’m just a beginner so I don’t have that many courses to compare it to. The layout was a lil confusing, especially because there are 2 courses intertwined together, but we figured it out. There were a few challenging holes for me on the front 9 playing over the water hazards. But I enjoyed the long holes on the back 9 once I finally got my driver going. Pace of play was smooth until the 16th when we ran into a group of six beginners. It looked like a man was actually giving lessons to an older woman while they were playing. I’m pretty sure any groups over 4 is frowned upon, but there are no rangers there. We eventually ended up saying screw it and skipped to the 17th. If there is one recommendation I could make; I would ask for new signs marking every hole. I will def play there again in the future.

Commented on 10/16/2019

Thank you for your honest feedback. First off -- welcome to the game of golf! We take your feedback seriously and are working hard at providing our guests a better experience. You are correct, groups of more than 4 are frowned upon. If you run into this again, please don't hesitate to call the Pro Shop and we will try to get a member of management out to keep play moving along. We look forward to having you out again. If there are any other concerns or topics you'd like to discuss about your experience, please email us at info.cobbscreek@golfphilly.org. Thank you.

Plays Twice a year
Commented on 07/18/2019

Hello, thanks for your review. If you have any other comments or concerns, please email us at info.cobbscreek@golfphilly.org. Thanks, and have a great day!

Don’t do it

For $43 thought it would be a decent round. Not so much. Greens in rough shape. Fairways uncut. Puddles everywhere despite no rain for a few days. Would not go back.

Commented on 07/18/2019

Hello, thanks for your review. We're sorry to hear the course conditions were not in great shape for your round. We are taking steps to rectify the situation and hope to see you again soon. If you have any other comments or concerns, please email us at info.cobbscreek@golfphilly.org. Thanks, and have a great day!

Classic Old Philly Muni

Classic old Philly Muni, layout designed by same guy who designed Merion. Course was in a bit rough condition and tough for them to keep up with mowing with all the extra rain in Aug 2018, but overall good fairways and greens. I would play there again. Pace of play a bit slow for a weekday.

Awful Experience

For starters, all of the water coolers were empty and they do not refill them on Sundays, which was ridiculous with today being 93 degrees outside. The course was in rough condition all around. Greens and tee boxes were in good shape, but otherwise it was not a good surface to play on and my group was very disappointed. Pace was fairly slow, we had to wait a few minutes before teeing off on just about every hole.

Commented on 04/09/2019

What a dump, won’t be back. If you do play here remember “byog”. Bring your own grass because there is very little on the course. Cart paths are shot, and the carts are very old and dirty. Steering the carts is an adventure. Should just close down.

Forgotten Gem

I pleasantly surprised by the course. So many golfers overlook this venue. I played the Olde Course and had a great time. The course was in good condition and the pace of play was average for any course on a summer Saturday. Some of the cart paths need attention but I find that everywhere

Terribly managed course ruins great day for golf

Tried to play this course yesterday but they overbooked every tee time so the course backed up for HOURS. 11:15 tee time and we didn't start our round until 11:52. 3.5 hours later and we were only on hole 10 and had to leave course early. Most holes to 15-20 minutes to play since groups in front were slow. Rangers didn't care about pace of play at all. The only time we saw a ranger was when he came out to complain to all groups he could find about how cart paths and driving on the course should work since some of the groups ahead of us were "being reckless"...

Can definitely say we will not be back. Won't miss the course much either as there are many better courses in surrounding towns for similar price. Maybe they should stop the Olde-only cart policy and alleviate some of the congestion to the other course you have. Had carts been allowed on Karakung yesterday there would have been far less issues concerning the pace of play.

Horribly kept and managed

They obviously booked a bunch of groups for the same tee times and the whole course was backed up. If that wasn’t bad enough the course is also horribly maintained. Cart paths are chopped up, greens are terribly kept, and all sand traps looked like small lakes. Complete and utter waste of my time and money. The condition of the course was disgraceful. I would never recommend this course to anyone.

hurry over

The course is in excellent shape! Great time of year to play here. If you are thinking about playing here I recommend do it soon before the heat and a lot of rounds take its toll on the place. Great bang for your buck. Hopefully will return soon.

I keeps it real!!!!!

Ok, Bachelor Party, Course we grew up on and Groom’s Dad maneuvering between the 3 foursomes. Giving tips, comments and just being Big D. Awesome time no matter what happened. The course was in alright conditions. Some greens a little worse than others. Bunkers were cement and weedy, luckily didn’t spend a lot of time in them. I love this course and will play it anytime. It just always disappoints me because it could be so much more if it had the staff. Pin placement is always in question at Cobbs, but mostly fair this day. Fairways were clean and in decent shape. The new tee box on 17 is a nice view. I’ll play it again this season.

The Olde Course at Cobbs Creek

Had a foursome when we started. Starter made sure a twosome was in front of us, smart. The cart we had had a punctured tire that we saw before heading to the 3rd hole; swapped carts after the 2nd hole. The cart paths need work as do some drainage areas on the course. Many trees still down from the storms from the previous couple of months. At least the greens were better than average for size and complexity.
After the round, decided to get some food and drink from the “club house”. Don’t waste your money. The dog was barely cooked and the selection of drink was limited.
For the price, it’s good but still an average course. If you live within 25 minutes, it’s not a bad course choice.

Commented on 04/17/2018

Thank you for playing Cobbs Creek! We're sorry that your experience wasn't exceptional, which is what we strive for. This past weekend was extremely busy and we simply weren't prepared for all of the rounds this early in the season. Give us a try again in a few weeks, you won't be disappointed!

Cobbs Creek the Olde Course

Tee boxes and greens were in great shape for a public course. In fact they were in the best shape that I’ve played on, for a public course, for 90% of the rounds I’ve played this year. Pace of play was pretty good as well. Could have had a better selection of food at the concession stand/Pro shop. All in all a good day.

Starter can use a bit friendly attitude

Ending up with not playing the course due to the argument with starter.
I understand 100%when starter ask me how and where he want a cart parked.
But I am not going to take any looking down attitude of Drill Sergeant,yelling and cursing, specially early Sunday morning.
Arguing started then heated up.
He said we can not play and that was it.
He ruined my Sunday.
I am still weighing on my option for next step.
If you play better to be nice to starter.

Commented on 09/22/2017

We are very sorry to hear about this interaction. We strive to provide a FUN and ENJOYABLE experience to every guest that visits Cobbs Creek. Please give Dennis Taggart a call at 215.877.8707 to discuss further.

Upper Darby, Pennsylvania