Cobb's Creek Golf Club - Olde Course

2.1

Type Public/Municipal
Cobbs Creek - Olde Course
Scorecard for The Olde Course
Blue M: 70.7/127 484 361 304 168 413 122 470 194 264 2780 297 431 440 377 614 447 275 193 348 3422 6202
White M: 69.0/121 423 343 277 136 349 117 416 178 259 2498 288 399 431 368 589 392 266 166 339 3238 5736
Red M: 65.5/116 W: 69.9/118 412 307 263 110 336 109 391 162 253 2343 277 374 422 356 574 378 225 154 330 3090 5433

Year Built 1916
Fairways Rye Grass
Greens Rye Grass
Architect Hugh Wilson (1916) William S. Flynn (1916)

Classic Old Philly Muni

Classic old Philly Muni, layout designed by same guy who designed Merion. Course was in a bit rough condition and tough for them to keep up with mowing with all the extra rain in Aug 2018, but overall good fairways and greens. I would play there again. Pace of play a bit slow for a weekday.

Awful Experience

For starters, all of the water coolers were empty and they do not refill them on Sundays, which was ridiculous with today being 93 degrees outside. The course was in rough condition all around. Greens and tee boxes were in good shape, but otherwise it was not a good surface to play on and my group was very disappointed. Pace was fairly slow, we had to wait a few minutes before teeing off on just about every hole.

Forgotten Gem

I pleasantly surprised by the course. So many golfers overlook this venue. I played the Olde Course and had a great time. The course was in good condition and the pace of play was average for any course on a summer Saturday. Some of the cart paths need attention but I find that everywhere

Terribly managed course ruins great day for golf

Tried to play this course yesterday but they overbooked every tee time so the course backed up for HOURS. 11:15 tee time and we didn't start our round until 11:52. 3.5 hours later and we were only on hole 10 and had to leave course early. Most holes to 15-20 minutes to play since groups in front were slow. Rangers didn't care about pace of play at all. The only time we saw a ranger was when he came out to complain to all groups he could find about how cart paths and driving on the course should work since some of the groups ahead of us were "being reckless"...

Can definitely say we will not be back. Won't miss the course much either as there are many better courses in surrounding towns for similar price. Maybe they should stop the Olde-only cart policy and alleviate some of the congestion to the other course you have. Had carts been allowed on Karakung yesterday there would have been far less issues concerning the pace of play.

Horribly kept and managed

They obviously booked a bunch of groups for the same tee times and the whole course was backed up. If that wasn’t bad enough the course is also horribly maintained. Cart paths are chopped up, greens are terribly kept, and all sand traps looked like small lakes. Complete and utter waste of my time and money. The condition of the course was disgraceful. I would never recommend this course to anyone.

hurry over

The course is in excellent shape! Great time of year to play here. If you are thinking about playing here I recommend do it soon before the heat and a lot of rounds take its toll on the place. Great bang for your buck. Hopefully will return soon.

I keeps it real!!!!!

Ok, Bachelor Party, Course we grew up on and Groom’s Dad maneuvering between the 3 foursomes. Giving tips, comments and just being Big D. Awesome time no matter what happened. The course was in alright conditions. Some greens a little worse than others. Bunkers were cement and weedy, luckily didn’t spend a lot of time in them. I love this course and will play it anytime. It just always disappoints me because it could be so much more if it had the staff. Pin placement is always in question at Cobbs, but mostly fair this day. Fairways were clean and in decent shape. The new tee box on 17 is a nice view. I’ll play it again this season.

The Olde Course at Cobbs Creek

Had a foursome when we started. Starter made sure a twosome was in front of us, smart. The cart we had had a punctured tire that we saw before heading to the 3rd hole; swapped carts after the 2nd hole. The cart paths need work as do some drainage areas on the course. Many trees still down from the storms from the previous couple of months. At least the greens were better than average for size and complexity.

After the round, decided to get some food and drink from the “club house”. Don’t waste your money. The dog was barely cooked and the selection of drink was limited.

For the price, it’s good but still an average course. If you live within 25 minutes, it’s not a bad course choice.

GMcobbscreek
Commented On 2018-04-17T08:21:47.000+00:00

Thank you for playing Cobbs Creek! We're sorry that your experience wasn't exceptional, which is what we strive for. This past weekend was extremely busy and we simply weren't prepared for all of the rounds this early in the season. Give us a try again in a few weeks, you won't be disappointed!

Cobbs Creek the Olde Course

Tee boxes and greens were in great shape for a public course. In fact they were in the best shape that I’ve played on, for a public course, for 90% of the rounds I’ve played this year. Pace of play was pretty good as well. Could have had a better selection of food at the concession stand/Pro shop. All in all a good day.

Starter can use a bit friendly attitude

Ending up with not playing the course due to the argument with starter.

I understand 100%when starter ask me how and where he want a cart parked.

But I am not going to take any looking down attitude of Drill Sergeant,yelling and cursing, specially early Sunday morning.

Arguing started then heated up.

He said we can not play and that was it.

He ruined my Sunday.

I am still weighing on my option for next step.

If you play better to be nice to starter.

GMcobbscreek
Commented On 2017-09-22T16:33:53.000+00:00

We are very sorry to hear about this interaction. We strive to provide a FUN and ENJOYABLE experience to every guest that visits Cobbs Creek. Please give Dennis Taggart a call at 215.877.8707 to discuss further.

Much Improved!

Cobbs Creek Olde Course has been improved to the point that its greens are impressive and fast, its fairways are very nice, the staff is friendly as usual although the pace of play was a bit slow. Very happy to see the effort put into this course and it shows!

Hugh Wilson design

Well, if you can't play Merion, you can play this historic little gem. It's pretty cramped and some of the holes are quite short, but it is scenic and quirky. The conditioning has always been sketchy, due to volume of play, weak finances, and just the tightness of the space, which channels everyone into the same places.

I try not to get hung up on the rugged conditions; for sheer challenge, history, scenery, and fun shotmaking, Cobbs is wonderful!

Better than expected

As far as muni courses go, this is the best I've played in Philly. The olde course was in much better shape than I expected and the layout was way better than I expected. I wish the course was maintained better as it could really be an awesome golf course but it's definitely worth it if you can pay $30-$40. Having a range is helpful too. The hole markings could be better but the tee boxes were for the most part in great shape. Hole 17 has a bad teebox but it's a 180 yard par 3 so I guess that can be a little expected. Greens are incredibly slow so if you're used to firmer greens you're going to need to really hit your puts, greens play pretty true for the most part. Overall, I would happily go back.

Pack your patience

9am round took 5 hours...guys in front of us were not playing ready golf, acting like it was a tour event. Let them know they needed to pick up the pace around 9th hole, but didn't change anything. After a delay causing our group and two groups behind us catching up we decided to give them a few warning shots. Course needs some rangers out keeping pace up. Course pretty good condition for August. $50 a little steep for how long it took, would only play with a hot deal.

Philly and golf is an oxymoron

I played on a Sunday so I expected a 4-5 hour round. It was slower than that. Since the clubhouse burned down there is nowhere to stop at the turn for a bathroom or food or drinks. It was 93 degrees and not one cooler on the course had water in them. Golfers from other holes would just drive their carts with no regard for others. It's a shame because I live close to the course but I'll never play there again.

The course was in great shape. Only problem was the starter pushed out 5 groups right on top of each other with no time in between. Took 3 hours to play 9 holes then quit. Staff gave us a voucher for next time which was nice.

Course looks great!

The course was in great condition even after all the rain we received the last week and a half. The greens were real fast but played well.

Upper Darby, Pennsylvania