2.4
2.3

Year Built 1931
Architect Alex Findlay (1931)

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Welcomed

Very cheap. Not good for your money.

I thought since it was a shorter course, the $25 greens fees would be fair, however, this was still too much money for how this course is kept. The cart paths look like they've been beat up with jackhammers, and the carts themselves had form exposed and were difficult to navigate. with this combination i ended up hurting my wrist going over a cart path because it was too bumpy.

Furthermore, they spraypaint their greens each morning and since I went early in the morning and it was still wet, I got green paint on my balls, gloves, clubs, pants, and my hand which took two days to wash out.

Sad

I haven’t played here in over 10 years but it is beat up badly. The cart paths and bridges are so beat up that I’m sore from driving the cart through the course. The grass had gotten so high that while they cut it, balls were lost in the cut blades. The price and location worked well for what we were looking for but if I knew how bad the conditions were, I would have driven an extra half hour and paid an extra $20 to play somewhere else. I used to love playing here but it’s in really bad shape right now. I guess it’s just a sign of the times as I was told that joke cant be marked anymore because kids come and steal the signs.

Commented on 08/20/2019

Thank you for your feedback. We take your opinion seriously, and are working everyday to improve the customer experience. Please email info.johnbyrne@golfphilly.org if you have other comments or concerns. Have a great day!

Commented on 07/24/2019

Thanks for your 5 star review. We hope to see you back again soon.

Needs help!

The water and mud were terrible today. They have to do something about the cart path. It’s just a mess. The tee boxes are like hitting out of bunkers. I would rather pay a few extra bucks to have a well maintained course.

Commented on 07/24/2019

Thank you for your feedback. We take your opinion seriously, and are working everyday to improve the customer experience and course conditions. If you have any other comments or questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at info.johnfbyrne@golfphilly.org.

byrnes review

played at byrnes for years. you cant ask for much more for the price to play. perfect for beginners or advanced players who like to fly around the course and get as many holes in as possible.

Commented on 07/24/2019

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your time with us and feel that it's a great value. Hope to see you back again soon.

City course

It’s a good place to work on your game. Bunkers, tee boxes some fairways, carts and cart path need work. I will play again as it is close and a great value.

Commented on 07/24/2019

Thanks for your review. We appreciate your honesty on course conditions and are glad that you find our course to be a great value. Hope to see you back again soon.

Needs A Lot of Work

Tee boxes need a lot of work
Rough and fairways need to be cleaned up
Greens need to be cut better (like putting on a fringe, too fluffy)

Commented on 07/24/2019

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your review and comments. We take customer feedback seriously and want to do all that we can to provide a great experience for our guests. Our agronomy team is hard at work to get the course conditions to the best that they can be every day. We appreciate your patience. Thank you!

Commented on 07/30/2019

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and are working hard to improve the customer experience. Please let us know if there is a specific service area you are dissatisfied with.

This Place Needs Work

This was my second time playing here. First time I paid for 18 holes late in the day. The back 9 had a lot players so I decided to play the front twice. After 4 holes the second time around, they were going around collecting the flags to wrap their day up. The sun had even set yet! Second time, I Called in earlier to get a 9 hole walking rate. They said $20. When I got there, they say “we don’t offer 9 hole rates”....like what? They were nice enough to give me the discount but the course itself is not maintained well at all. A lot of tee boxes are literally like hitting out of a bunker, all sand. Grass on greens was Long so they were really slow. Fairways were the best part and even they are average. $25 isn’t even worth these conditions

Commented on 08/05/2019

Thanks for your review. We apologize for the miscommunication and greatly value your feedback. We are working hard to improve the customer experience.

Frustrated.

Have played John Byrne countless times, but today was beyond frustrating. We teed off at 4:40 and were not told we had to bring the carts in at any certain time, so we assumed we could play until sundown. On the 16th hole, at 7:15pm(40 minutes before the sunset) we were told we could not continue as the cart has to be in. Ridiculous. No notice, plenty of sunlight. We literally had another 45 minutes to finish our round. I didn’t pay for 16 holes. Even as we were told to finish the hole we were on, the cart attendant pulled the pin off the green as we drove to our second shots even after we were told we could finish that hole. If we were given a heads up at check in, that would’ve been one thing but it was completely uncalled for to cut our round short because someone wanted to go home early. Won’t be coming back anytime soon and be aware they have zero regard for customers. I get Byrne is a Philly muni but still, not acceptable.

Commented on 08/20/2019

Hi Shawn, thanks for your feedback. We are sorry about the lack of communication about this policy and that you were on the short end of it. Unfortunately, we've experienced consistent issues over the past couple of years where local teens and young adults steal the pins if we leave them in close to dark. As such, we've had to adopt stricter policies regarding pins and carts. Regardless, the staff should have communicated this with you and for that we apologize. If you have other comments or concerns, please email info.johnbyrne@golfphilly.org. Have a great day!

Good ol brynes

25 bucks can’t beat it, to go out n hit some balls play 18 in less then 3 hours . Just don’t fall into the malieria water pits in the sand and on each side of the bridges .

Commented on 08/20/2019

Thank you for your feedback. We take your opinion seriously, and are working everyday to improve the course conditions and golfer experience.

Commented on 07/30/2019

Thank you for your review. Please let us know if there is a specific service area you are dissatisfied with. We value your feedback.

J Pop

Just plain horrible. The cart path was the worst I’ve ever seen

John Byrne

This was a great course for mediocre golfers. Challenging enough to better yourself but not to much where you never want to play again. I wish the course was marked better, but other then that great for inner city golf course. Would recommend

be aware of your surroundings

Yes some of the holes have incoming, just look for people blasting off on other tees because there is a good chance that they are going to land in your fairway. Once you play here a few times and know what to look for it becomes a lot less dangerous. I highly recommend riding if one is suffering from constipation, I promise a round here a week will be having you regular like nobodies business. Seriously, if you keep expectations in check you might just be glad you played here. Not for the elites, that course is across the street.

A course to practice on.

The golf staff was friendly and the pro shop is nice. However, the course needs a lot of work. The tee boxes are a mess; they are rock hard and it’s very difficult to get your tee into the ground. The cart paths are brutal as well, all sand with giant potholes, the bridges are sketchy and look as if they are about to fall apart (multiple bridges have broken wood pieces). The other golfers playing here the day I played we very rude and disrespectful (not everyone was, but the vast majority was). For example, I would tee off, hop into my cart and quickly drive down to my ball location. Then, after quickly grabbing a club and setting up for next shot, I see another ball roll right by me. The majority of golfers here, at least on the day I played, have no sense of etiquette.

As a result, I will never play this course again and do not recommended this course. However, if you enjoy rock hard tee boxes, dangerous cart paths/bridges, and lack of etiquette by other golfers this is the go to course.

Good for getting some swings.

If you need some practice, not a bad local course. The tee boxes were bad however. Practically hitting of dirt at times.

Better than before

Although this is an inexpensive city owned course that we only play when there are no better options, this time I found the greens immaculate. The fringes and aprons had crabgrass, the roughs had large area's of bare spots. The cart paths will jar your teeth loose.

Bensalem, Pennsylvania
Bensalem, Pennsylvania
Riverton, New Jersey
Cheltenham, Pennsylvania
3.4019647059
Jenkintown, Pennsylvania
Willingboro, New Jersey

Valid dates: Nov 22, 2019 - Dec 31, 2019
Unlimited golf for two and stay at Ritz Carlton on Dove Mountain with daily American breakfast for two at CORE Kitchen & Wine Bar.
From $1900