2.2

Style Parkland
Pickering Valley Golf Club

Year Built 1985
Fairways Rye Grass
Architect John Thompson (1985)

Dress code No tank tops or cutoffs

2.2

Better than I remember

I used to not like this course at all. If I ever got an invite to play I would say no. Played Sunday May 24 2020 and I have to admit that I enjoyed the round. Tee boxes were in good shape. Greens were well maintained - little slow. Lots of cool elevation changes. Gets pretty tight on a couple holes on the back nine and I would highly recommend hitting an iron off the tee. Next time someone asks me to play there I think I will say yes.

Where do I begin

Staff is not friendly at all. Tee boxes are awful. Pace of play is extremely slow with their 8 min tee times and a ton of walkers. Not worth the money for course conditions.

Not worth it

Would not recommend. Have played there a bunch over the years and I will no longer go back. They don’t take care of their course and they jam as many people on the course as possible. If you go just expect to overpay a decent amount, hit off bad tee boxes and wait A LOT. 5 hour round is not all that uncommon at Pickering.

I had a good time here. I usually do.

First off by way of clarification and full disclosure, I just took advantage of PVGC's 2 years of play for $298 but that said, I've played here off and on since 1994. This course was built in the mid-1980s on a challenging piece of real estate. There are substantial ups and downs that make for a real workout if you walk. There are not (yet) paths all around the layout. That's good news if you're a purist who hates asphalt scraped golf balls. That's bad news since carts can get onto spots that are wet and create damage. Pickering is one of four courses build in the general area by a designer, John Thompson. He also did Spring Hollow, which is just about 8 miles further out from the city, and Moccasin Run, and Furnace Bay in Maryland. The par 3s are well done. The 4s also vary in length and shot demands. Number 18 is a bit of a bear because of its length and constant climb. I enjoy the par 5s but I'd expect that some might find #8 with it's 90 degree turn a bit contrived. Number 17 is also a two or three shot proposition that some will get down to the bottom off the tee (and love) or wind up on the downhill or worse (and hate). Practice facilities are nice with a large putting green, a full range, and a short game area that could use some TLC. They seem interested in working cooperatively with players to improve conditions. The tees do get worn. Let's put sand boxes on those tees and move the tees regularly. I'd also recommend bottles with divot mix on every cart. Clubhouse is pretty Spartan but the people I've met are nice. For the record, I've played 800+ golf courses. This isn't Pine Valley or Aronomink but it's a good time. It can play 5100 from the forward tees or 6500 from the tips. Slope and rating (from the tips) 127 & 71.5. Lastly let me comment about some of the views! Those can be magnificent, overlooking Phoenixville, Royersford, Kimberton, and a bunch of other very attractive communities.

Horrible

No grass in tee boxes some of the greens looked like someone drove a car on them and that’s being kind I’ve played many course from public to private this has to be the worst ever

It’s just okay

Nice layout. Not recommended for beginners. Very hilly. Tee times are 8 minutes apart and that can cause log jams. Only 1 water fountain on the course, so bring your own. $53 on the weekend — which is about right for the courses in this area. Aside from bushes that represent 150 yards, forget it - so bring a gps. Greens are on the slow side. Finding balls in the rough can be tough. Honestly, there are too many other quality courses within 20 minutes of this track.

Prices

The prices was too high for the green condition. Green wasn't cut or rolled so it was like putting on a thick carpet. I've seen tee box in better condition than this green. The guy a the pro shop was a completely ignorant. I've booked the 11am tee time for $45fromt their website and he tell's me its suppose to be $51, but he'll give it to me for $45. So why was he thinking about over charging me? My 2nd time playing in this course and the green was bad as the last time I've played. NOT worth $45.....$25 at best. that'll be my last time there.

for $ 51.00, not worth it.

If you plan on spending $ 51.00 on a course spend it on a place you know or like. I am playing every course I can this summer 2 different per weekend. I called Thursday for a tee time letting them know I'm a solo player I was told just come out we'll put you with another or a group ok I'm fine with that. Checking in I got the aaahh I don't know we're really busy maybe you can get 9 in,,, I didn't drive an hour to play 9. ok,,problem solved but we had to check in at 16 to see what tee time we could get when we came around to 1, I was started of the back with a guy nice enough person,, he gave me the rundown on each hole which was nice. As we played on it seemed like the grass was growing in the fairways or are they always that long ? The greens were just untrue and allover the place when putting it may have been esier to putt if they where airated last week. Maybe its just this time of year when everything is still getting up and running as far as courses go, some of The bunkers had tire tracks from the grounds crew machine that rakes them. This is not a $ 50.00 course if you haven't played it take your money somewhere else where you know its worth the spend. The bacon and egg sandwich was good.

734ab6f2-9731-5a63-b04d-1c5942a4d152
Commented on 10/23/2017

I had the same issue's this past Sunday, it was just the horrible. Poorly cared for green and a waste of time & money.

Nice Course for All (except maybe Beginners)

My son and I have played this course about 4 times in 2014 and 3 times this season so far. It features all kinds of hazards, forced carries, and changes in elevations that make you bring your "A" game. There are some long uphill holes and long downhill holes. Many are wide open, others can be somewhat narrow. One dogleg par-5 has 2 forced carries over water. The greens are good, some fast, some slow depending on conditions. Plenty of scenic vistas of Chester County, PA everywhere.

If you choose the correct tee box, this course will properly challenge golfers of almost any ability. We played PV the day after a serious line of storms had dropped heavy rainfall in the area. Nevertheless, PV was in really decent shape. They said it was the only course letting people out in carts that day -so it was more crowded than usual.

My only suggestion is that management (PV is family owned) install online Tee times.

Malvern, Pennsylvania