Bob O'Connor Golf Course at Schenley Park/The First Tee of Pittsburgh

The Bob O'Connor Golf Course at Schenley Park
Men 67 4620 yards 63.3 104
Women 67 4620 yards 66.6 114
Scorecard for Schenley Park
Mens M: 62.8/103 273 364 408 361 118 264 189 260 267 2504 237 247 175 227 189 173 261 252 355 2116 4620
Ladies W: 66.3/112 273 364 408 361 118 264 189 260 267 2504 237 247 175 227 189 173 261 252 355 2116 4620

Year Built 1902
Architect Mark Ormison (1902)

Carts No

Golf Simulator Yes

Fivesomes Allowed No. Only with permission.

OK conditions, funky layout

I loved how I was able to play in under 3 hours. But the fairways could have used some mowing. I'm not a fan of having to hit over roads multiple times. 8, 9, and 17 are hit from the top of a hill, over a fairly frequented road (protected by a chain-link fence) toward a green on top of a hill on the other side of the road. So it's a lot of walking up and down hills. The par 3s are fairly long, while most of the par 4s are quite short. So it's a nice course for brushing up on your short game. The greens were in decent shape and many of them are quite sloped.

Interesting round with a little bit of everything

The course is very picturesque with a nice First Hole set up, views of the city, great house behind 17, beautiful 18 hole... the course is also in very good shape which is likely because no carts run all through it. It can get a little confusing at times, especially holes 8-10. The 8th tee box doesn’t make it clear where the pin is- without GPS I would’ve shot at 10 instead of over the road. Still, great golf. However, I’m guessing that because it’s an open park, some people come onto the course without paying? There was a man on 11 and 12, no shirt, who just played those two holes. A little weird but okay. I enjoyed the course nonetheless.

Can't Say Enough About "The Bob"

I've only been playing golf now for about 12 years now and this was the first course I played, so I may be a bit biased. However, I do believe that this course is by far one of the better kept "executive courses" in the PGH area. The holes are manageable and they are short enough that they make a 9 hole round seem like a nice walk through a park. Play is generally at a decent pace in the mornings and throughout the day, although it can get crowded after work hours due to First Tee lessons and groups. I generally find that, even though the fairways and rough are basically the same grass just cut to different heights, the greens are always well maintained for a course that is located in the heart of the City of Pittsburgh. I happen to think that this course is perfect for trying out new clubs, finding you r swing, or just getting in a good practice round coupled with a nice walk. I really can't complain too much about the course and with a price tag of only $15 for either 9 or 18, that's a deal that is a no brainer. Yes, there are a few hills that test the average walker, but again I find it a challenge. Overall, if you have the time and are looking for a good value, then give "The Bob" a try. You might find a new course on your favorites list.

Unique Course

This was my first time visiting PIT and I was looking for a course in the city. I played this course with a group of 3 friends. It was a unique course to say the least. The course plays pretty short. The tee boxes are mats which was unique. What made this course interesting was that certain holes played through a semi busy street which is not for the faint of heart. It was a good source of cardio because of the steep inclines. We started on the 3rd tee because holes 1 and 2 were reserved for lessons for kids that morning. I did not realize that this was a walking only course, but pull carts were provided. It was an affordable course. It was nicely kept. I would recommend it just for the courses that played through the strets.

bobby c

Not terrible for the price. Nine holes, no carts available so you have to walk and the terrain is very steep on some holes. Some holes cross over a busy intersection. The worst part about this course is the tee boxes are turf. The course itself is in fairly good shape and it has a great view of Pittsburgh.

Good Value/Practice Course

I've played this course several times solo and with others. They have no carts so you must walk the course. It's pretty easy to play. This is a great course for beginners or those who just want a place to practice. A few of the holes have really great/scenic views of Oakland/Pittsburgh.

Best bang for your buck!

I could not have asked for a more beautiful day. I had a wonderful time. The gentleman in the clubhouse was very friendly and was very thorough in explaining the course to me. I let one pair play through but other then that I felt no pressure with speed of play. I was playing slow and feeling very self-conscious because this was my first round in over 3 years. My only complaints are that the two holes going towards the clubhouse I believe they are 8 and 17 were very confusing. I ended up driving the wrong fairway because they were not clearly marked. My only other complaint was that the grass had been cut and not picked up. Not only was I playing in rough (that was my fault obviously) but I was hitting through dead cut grass as well. Other than that how can you complain with such low prices. Plus, having gone to college in Pittsburgh the view of Oakland from the fairways was beautiful.

North Braddock, Pennsylvania