Reading Country Club

Type Municipal
Opened in 1923, Reading Country Club is one of the area's oldest golf courses. Located less than a half hour from King of Prussia, the course is easily accessible from anywhere in the greater Berks County area. Though it has a traditional layout that doesn't have the length that most modern courses do, that hasn't stopped it from being one of the most challenging public golf courses in Berks County. The rolling terrain provides a variety of elevation changes that range from subtle to dramatic. The course will test you with lightning fast, undulating greens that are protected by sand traps and there is punishing rough bordering the narrow, tree-lined fairways. Be prepared for uphill shots and blind approaches throughout the golf course. Reading Country Club's par 3s are especially notable for their difficulty.
Scorecard for Reading Country Club
Blue M: 70.2/131 W: 76.2/134 371 386 365 203 523 159 426 183 328 2944 169 391 360 407 510 220 304 512 345 3218 6162
White M: 68.6/129 W: 74.1/129 360 335 345 184 515 146 405 158 287 2735 154 381 349 367 510 187 290 495 333 3066 5801
Gold M: 65.4/122 W: 70.1/122 345 278 329 170 440 139 353 128 262 2444 141 330 331 315 430 162 283 400 281 2673 5117
Silver M: 61.6/115 W: 63.7/108 288 205 240 110 326 90 280 100 185 1824 141 275 260 245 380 90 205 349 205 2150 3974

Year Built 1923
Architect Hugh Wilson Alex Findlay (1923)

Entertaining Clients 12

Philly Advisor

Old favorite, new food venue, hornets too frequent

I continue to enjoy the layout of this old course. They’ve made some changes with a new covered eating area outside which is good Andrew smart. Course conditions were same as prior, generally good, but the number of holes with hornets was out of hand. I reported it to the clubhouse in hopes they will address it. Absent that issue, it continues to entertain my eye when I play it.

Back again

It was great to get to play this course again

It is really an old-style course that follows the lay of the land - lots of challenges lots of fun and the people they are sure great.

If you want to remember what golf used to be like play this course and bring your accuracy and putting skills. .

Response from Reading Country Club on 11/06/2017:
Thank you for your review, Bob. We're glad to hear that you enjoy our older style golf course that offers unique challenges. Come back and tee it up at Reading Country Club again soon.

Scenic and Challenging

A beautiful day, a well-conditioned course, but some pretty high scores for us! You need to play from the back tees to get over 6000 yards, and that means you’ll have some difficult carries. Sidehill lies are common. The greens were true; but reasonably fast, which adds to the challenge, because most have some slope to them.

Overall, I like this course a lot!

Response from Reading Country Club on 11/02/2017:
Thank you for your 5-star review. We're glad to hear that you were up for the challenge of playing from the back tees. Hopefully you'll score better next time. See you again soon.

Nice challenging course

Course is challenging. Up hill and slope fairways. Greens are super fast. Shots have to be well placed on greens. Some blind second shots. Pro shop was top class as soon as you enter. Explained everything about the course.

Response from Reading Country Club on 10/18/2017:
Thank you for taking the time to share the 5-star experience you had with us here at Reading Country Club. Come back again soon!

Waited to long, Should`ve played sooner

Staff was super, Course was GR8 for this time of year.

I`m so glad I played, W/ my son, Never played this course before, But I can`t wait to play it again. The layout of this course is super, It has a little of everything, uphills-downhills-lefts and rights-Water

sand, blind shots, And beautiful Trees everywhere. Very Mature course. Really waited to long to play here. Can`t wait to do it again.Playing golf is Gr8, Playing golf with Family is Priceless , I`m Glad my son was with me, He liked it as well..........

Jack Nickolas said it was one of the best courses in eastern Pa,,,,,,,, He might be right................

Response from Reading Country Club on 10/16/2017:
Thank you for choosing Reading Country Club. We're glad to hear that you were finally able to make it out here to play. We hope to see you out here again soon.

Great old course. Pace of play was agony.

I really wanted to like this course after attending a wedding there in spring. Lots of history, great layout and conditions but took 5 hours on a weekday.

Response from Reading Country Club on 09/27/2017:
Thank you for choosing Reading Country Club! We sincerely apologize that your round was anything short of 5 stars due to the pace of play. 5 hours is definitely not the norm and we hope you'll consider joining us for another round in the future.

Told you I'd be back

The only problem I have with course is it is over an hour away from where I live. Played it a month ago, and played poorly. Got a great hot deal and went back. I knocked 9 strokes off my previous score. Having seen it once before helped ALOT! Reading is in great shape and the greens are fast and true. I do love the par 3s. It will be a place I will play at least once a year. Just too far for me to travel to often. See you next year!

Response from Reading Country Club on 09/20/2017:
Thanks for driving out here to give Reading Country Club another shot, Andrew. Way to knock 9 strokes off your previous score, that's awesome! See you again next year and in the meantime be sure to Like us on Facebook for the latest course news and specials.

Staff Top Notch

Scheduled a Memorial tournament on Sunday 9/10; needed to cancel some tee times due to travel difficulties associated with Hurricane Irma. Staff was extremely accommodating considering the tee times lost. Course was in excellent condition except with a few traps associated with all the rain this summer. The individuals who played most from NJ and as far away as NC enjoyed the challenge the course presented.

Response from Reading Country Club on 09/19/2017:
Thank you for choosing to spend a part of your day with us at Reading Country Club. We're glad that the players in your tournament enjoyed the course and we hope to have all of you back here again in the future.
Response from Reading Country Club on 09/19/2017:
We appreciate the 5-star rating! Book another round soon.
Response from Reading Country Club on 09/19/2017:
Thank you! Hope to see you again soon.

nice course

the course is easier then when it was private but still callehging,,,,,,,,vert well maintained.....greens a little in consisdent due to hole regrowth but still rolled nice......still the best course in Berks Co.

Response from Reading Country Club on 09/19/2017:
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words and feedback. We hope to see you out here for many more rounds to come!

Nice Country Club Atmosphere

The course is nicely positioned and would definetely be a course that even a beginner or intermediate would have a good experience playing on. I would definitely recommend it.

Response from Reading Country Club on 09/19/2017:
Thank you for your review, Paul. We take great pride in our golf course being playable for all levels of golfers and we appreciate you taking the time to recommend it.

I love this course the lay out is outstanding although hole 3 and 5 can be very dangerous to beginners due to the highway being to the right of the trees the biggest issue I had was that I like to bring my wife with me when golfing usually I let the people at the front know and get charged about $5 for a Ride Along however this location charges $15 which is a bit expensive for someone just to watch you play just a heads up

Response from Reading Country Club on 09/19/2017:
We appreciate your review and we're glad to hear how much you enjoy the layout of our course. We hope the cost of the ride along fee won't stop you from coming back for another round in the future.

Hope to do better next time

This course is over an hour away, and finally got my chance, and hopefully play better when I return. Hills, trees a little water thrown in. Elevation changes!! Fun track. A little under 6200 yards from tips. Every thing was in very nice shape. Not perfect, but well worth the hot deal from golf now. All the par 3s are very worthy!! As Arnold said, " I'll be back!!!"

Response from Reading Country Club on 09/19/2017:
Thank you for choosing Reading Country Club, Andrew. We're glad that you finally made it out here and hopefully we made a good first impression on you. Be sure to Like us on Facebook for the latest course news and specials.

Good public Course.

This is not a Country Club. It is however a good public Course. Greens were a little slow but nice. Rough was to long. Fairways were mostly good. Good layout. Tough for ladies. Good , challenging Course.

Response from Reading Country Club on 09/19/2017:
Thank you for your thoughts and feedback, William. We appreciate your 4-star rating and we hope to see you out here again soon.

Nice Track

Very good course!! Elevations were challenging. Greens were in great shape. Staff was on point. Will definitely recommend and play again!!

Response from Reading Country Club on 09/12/2017:
Awesome! We're glad to hear that you had such a wonderful overall experience. Come see us again soon.
Response from Reading Country Club on 09/19/2017:
We appreciate you recommending our golf course to others. Can't wait for you to return.

Old-fashioned gem

We really enjoyed this scenic, moderately-hilly course. It is a great example of 1920's-era golf design aesthetic. The wholes are not very long (many short par-4's), and the greens have very subtle slopes.

Response from Reading Country Club on 07/31/2017:
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our course. We're glad to hear that you enjoy the old-fashioned style of our golf course and we hope you'll join us for many more rounds this summer.

slow greens

the course was great but due to hot weather greens were slow. took 9 holes to get speed. still the nicest course in berks co.

Response from Reading Country Club on 07/31/2017:
Thank you for your review. We apologize if the greens were a bit slower than normal due to the weather conditions but we hope to see you out here for another round soon.

Not what it use to be!

Traps were in terrible condition. Greens are very inconsistent. But all in all with the hot deal price it was a good deal and an enjoyable round.

Response from Reading Country Club on 07/31/2017:
We're sorry to hear that you feel this way about the course conditions but we appreciate the feedback. We hope you'll give us another chance soon and be sure to Like us on Facebook for the latest course news and specials.
Mohnton, Pennsylvania