Birkdale Golf Club

Year Built 1997
Greens Crenshaw Bent Grass
Architect Arnold Palmer (1997) Ed Seay (1997)

What a difference!

Had not played this course in several years. Staff was awesome and the course was in great shape. They have really changed the old “ cold and aloof atmosphere “. .

Greens were great but slow due to tons of rain .

North Carolina Advisor

Bad Greens and Way Too Expensive

It's just nowhere worth the $59 they charge for a weekend round. While most of the course is in decent shape, the greens are terrible. They're patchy and extremely bumpy. And from what I've heard, this is the best the course has been in two years. I'd probably only pay about half of what they want to charge for this course now. Has some potential to be good, but the greens need to be completely redone. There are better and cheaper options out there.

OVERALL: 4.9/10

Way Over priced

The charge for play is entirely because of the Arnold Palmer name. When we arrived, there was no one at bag drop and when I went inside to check in both the guest services emplyess were standing in the pro shop. Course was in terrible condition except for the fairways. Rough was so deep, half the time not one of us could find our ball. Lost 7 golf balls and 1 of them actually was to a hazard. Would not recommend. Especially to recreational golfers that aren't always in the fairway.

Sad

Grew up in the area and this course was once cream of the crop. Great layout; was always in good shape. My how the mighty have fallen. Greens were the worst I've ever played and I have played a few true goat tracks. Bumpy. Slow. Dead spots. Furry. With the amount of play they get you would think they would take heed from Mooresville GC 8 miles to the north and switch to a new hybrid Bermuda grass I.e tif eagle/ mini verde. I remain hopeful they will make some changes before it's too late. It really is a great track and it pains me to write this review. Get well soon, Birkdale

Very disappointed

I'd expect a course with Arnies name on it to be in better shape than this. It has such potential with that layout. Just in very poor condition all around.

Response from on 08/15/2017:
We're sorry to hear the conditions were not up to par during your round. We are working towards getting everything to pristine conditions like they always have been. We do hope you return soon, we can't wait to see you and would love to make your next round with us an exceptional one.

Great layout, weekend rate too high for this course.

Had relatives in for the PGA tournament, played this course that Saturday. Nice course but was wet of course, enjoyed the round. Lot of the greens were in bad shape and some of the bermuda rough was a bit tall for most of us amateurs. $69 for this course is a bit overpriced and no senior rate on weekends is not a good policy.

Response from on 08/15/2017:
Thanks for your feedback, it is important to us. We're happy to hear you loved the course and your round overall. We are working towards the best greens and conditions possible, we hope you return soon and play another round.

Arnold Palmer would be ashamed

For a 55$ round this is one of the worst values for your money. Course is in extremely poor condition, but they still have 6 rangers that were heckling us every hole to speed up our play. One ranger passed us and told us to speed up 4 times. He also saw my friend hit a poor shot and had the nerve to drive over to us in the fairway and demonstrate to him how he should correctly hit. The greens were a -1/10 condition. Tees look to have been in the same spot all summer as there was no grass to even tee up your ball on, only sand.
Will never come back

Response from on 08/08/2017:
We regret to hear you did not have the best experience due to the conditions you may have experienced at the golf course. We will address these concerns with our staff and crews and work diligently to create the best golf course experience for you on your next round. We do hope you give us another shot soon.

Overpriced

If the round was free or if my money was returned, I would have left. Greens slow with weeds, bunkers need more sand, if you miss the fairway by a foot you may not find your ball. There is no 1st cut of rough, 5 inches, lots of long dead grass in the fairway. I will not play again until I hear several great reviews.

One good thing: the ball cleaners were nice and the pace was fast because no one else was playing the field.

Slow greens

Course is always a good test but the greens were extremely slow today.

Response from on 06/07/2017:
Thank you for playing at Birkdale, we're sorry to hear the greens were a bit slower than usual on your round. We are working towards the best possible conditions for your next round. We will address this with our staff and crews, thanks for bringing it to our attention. See you soon at Birkdale Golf Club!
Response from on 06/02/2017:
We're sorry to hear the greens were not in ideal shape. We have our staff and crews informed, we will ensure that the greens are evaluated and addressed for the best conditions possible your next time around. We appreciate you looking out.

Great course, needs a little work

Great course in an easily accessible exurb north of Charlotte. Some of the fairways needed a mow, and the greens, while they ran true, were VERY slow and needed work. But overall I'd definitely return and heavily recommend the course.

Response from on 06/02/2017:
We thank you for your review, we hear you about the fairways and are working towards the best fairways possible for your next round. We can't wait to see you back, thank you so much for your recommendation!
Response from on 05/22/2017:
Thanks for this great rating, we're so glad you enjoyed your round with us!

Guy in Pro Shop is Great!!! Course is Good

Played there several times and every time I play it's the same result the assistant pro in the gofb shop who seems to be there everyday I come in, he is absolutely the best! Always is very friendly and try's to do the best possible to make me feel like it's my own place. He is one of the reasons I keep coming back because he always makes my experience better! Also, the golf course has the best layout! Greens are a work in progress but are getting better and overall the course is in much better shape than last year. Will definitely keep coming back!!

Response from on 05/22/2017:
Awesome! We're happy to hear your overall experience was memorable, and our staff made your time with us a great one. We can't wait to see you again!

Okay, greens are pretty rough.

We played and the course was a fun layout without penalizing you too much for bad shots. The rough was in good shape with the edges of the course not maintained to well. Otherwise, the fairways, rough, and bunkers were in good shape. The greens were not very great. They were spotty and very thin grass. Not aweful just bumpy on a few putts. We paid $31 for a late afternoon round and it was worth the money, I wouldn't pay any higher than that.

Response from on 05/22/2017:
We appreciate your feedback and sorry to hear that the conditions may not have been up to par. We have informed our staff and crews on the matter and are working hard to rectify the situation and make this the best Birkdale GC possible for your next round. Come back and see us again we look forward to your visit!
Response from on 05/22/2017:
We thank you for playing at Birkdale Golf Club and taking the time to review our course and the facility. We hope to see you again and we're working towards patching up anything we may have missed especially on the greens, thank you for letting us know and we hope you return to see all our improivements.

Greens were in bad shape

Overall a fair value for $30 but greens were pitted and in bad shape. I was disappointed with the greens conditions.

Commented on 11/21/2016

Thank you for your review and feedback gdad2z2. We value our golfers' opinions and are always striving to provide the best experience we can at Birkdale Golf Club. We hope we'll see you again soon!

This course I will never play again

Starter was very rude and disturbing. He followed up almost every hole in the front nine yelling across the course that we need to play ready golf when there was a backup at the two holes in front and behind us. It's not fun to play when you're rushed and it honestly doesn't allow you to play well when you're that frustrated. Never will I go to this course again even if it were free. The greens are in horrible conditions and never in my life as a golfer have I had such a bad expierence.

Commented on 09/10/2016

Hi u000005744853,
Thank you for playing at Birkdale Golf Club. We are disappointed to hear you did not have a great experience with us. We appreciate your feedback as this helps us make improvements for future golfers. We hope you will give us another chance, and will come back to see us again.
Best Wishes,

Huntersville, North Carolina
Denver, North Carolina
Mooresville, North Carolina

Valid dates: Nov 01, 2019 - Feb 29, 2020
Back at Kiawah Island Golf Resort for a limited time, the Golf or Gourmet Escape is a perfect opportunity to pursue your passion for the game and experience this premier resort's pristine championship courses.