Learn more about becoming a member at
Agawam Hunt Golf Course

Type Private

Previously known as "Metacomet Golf Course".

Year Built 1895
Architect Willie Park, Jr. (1895) Gil Hanse (2007) Donald Ross (1920) Geoffrey Cornish (1964) Donald Ross (1911) Robert McNeil Gil Hanse (2018) Ian Andrew (2018)

Clubs No

Bar, Snacks

Banquet Facilities

Available Activities

Swimming

Available Sports

Tennis, Squash

October 2020 - Course is in great shape

Played Agawam for the first time this year and was very happy with my experience. The course was in great shape, greens firm and quick. The staff was very kind and friendly. Seems like the membership has grown and the course has clearly benefitted. With Metacomet closed, this is a great option close to Providence. Paid $85 on a weekday which seems steep, but reasonable for what you're getting in this area. I have seen weekend rates at $100+ and I believe many players would feel this is overpriced for a shorter inland course with a few quirky holes.

Great value for the money. Greens are really good. Bunkers are poor for a “private course”.
I see a lot of reviews mention that this is a Donald Ross course. That is really not true.
Willie Park jr did the original 9.
Donald Ross did the expansion to 18 and then the City took over many of the holes he designed across Pawtucket Ave in 1964.
Geoffrey Cornish then did a redesign and added holes across Centre St. Cornish May be the worst architect in golf history and you can tell by the upside down bowl greens on a lot of the holes. Someone told me Gil Hanse did a master plan to redo the Course but the Club want bankrupt before they could do that.

Tricky Layout for First Timer

Very hilly course with interesting and challenging layout. Tees and greens in excellent condition. Not worth $85 for 18 with cart though for non-member.

18th hole is a joke as its fairway is also the driving range. Don't hit a yellow ball on 18th hole or you will never find your ball.

Our tee time was pushed back in favor of members who had missed their tee times or walked on. Then we were told we couldn’t use the range as it was members only.

The course is in great shape and has a fun but difficult layout.

Would play there again, if non members weren’t treated so poorly.

Commented on 11/17/2020

My Name is Norm Alberigo, and I am the Head Golf Professional at Agawam Hunt. We really appreciate the feedback from all of our customers. With that in mind, I personally was involved with the experience of the customer in this post. I would like to provide some clarity to the circumstances they describe. September 3 was Labor Day. We would not normally have inventory available until later in the day if at all. Inventory was populated earlier in the week through the auto-load program. I noticed this mistake on Wednesday night, and immediately contacted GolfNow to cancel the reservations. GN failed to execute the cancellations as the case that I filed proved after later investigation. It was after we had two reservations show up, that we realized something went wrong. The remaining reservations that were not cancelled, we honored, despite having a Member tournament earlier in the morning. Unfortunately I had member reservations that needed to be honored as well. I personally checked in all of the GN reservations, I explained the GN mistake, and I ask them to be patient as I would try to make "lemonade out of lemons". The golfer's comments above, in my opinion, do not accurately portray the manner in which we treated our customers that day. We are very proud of the manner in which we host our GN customers. We value their experience, and that day, we went out of our way to treat them as if our own. Please reference the many other posts that reflect other customer's experiences. I am confident you will observe comments that do not support the feedback this customer experienced.

Commented on 09/18/2020

Hi, we appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Agawam Hunt. We hope to see you again in the future.

Superior

An absolutely superior experience. A private course where paying visitors are treated like members. The members also treat visitors as if they were members. Played as a twosome and a foursome ahead of us was holding us up a bit. They asked us if we wanted to play through, which was not expected as they were the members not us. Ended up getting around in three hours and 15 minutes. Did I say this is a private not a public course.

Don’t let the yardage fool you. It is a par 69 so add 300 yards or so for the actual ‘playing’ yardage, if it were a par 72. I am 69 and drive the ball 200 to 210. There were numerous par fours that I could not reach in two. The greens were extremely undulating adding to the challenge.

I cannot recommend Agawam Hunt enough. If you appreciate great architecture, variety, superb conditions and a fun, challenging course you will also love it. Thank you to the club for allowing public play.

The attached picture is of the par three, second hole.

Nice Course

Worst range setup with people literally hitting balls up the 18th fairway. Course is immaculate. Greens are true. Par 3s are all short. The whole course is tight, meaning tee boxes and greens are often very close. I’d play again.

Commented on 09/18/2020

Thank you for reviewing us. We see you rated the course 3-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve before your next round. Feel free to comment on this review or reach out to the team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Agawam Hunt, and we hope to see you again soon.

Highly recommend Agawam Hunt

Upon arrival I was immediately greeted by an attendant in the parking lot with a warm , friendly welcome and a cart . The young lady in the club house was equally as gracious as she checked in my group , collected greens fees and kindly went over the layout of the course . Our tee time was for 9:00AM but we were able to tee off a bit earlier . The course was pristine. Classic Donald Ross design made for a fun yet challenging day . We finished our round in 3 hours . I highly recommend Agawam Hunt to anyone that hasn’t had the opportunity to play this R.I. gem. I will definitely be back soon . Kudos to Agawam Hunt for partnering with golfnow to offer non member tee times .

Outstanding!

Great conditions, great pace of play. 3.5 hours for 18. Friendly staff. Great day!

Commented on 11/13/2020

Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give us another try in the near future. Thanks for choosing Agawam Hunt.

Great Track!!

Played 18 in under 3 hours. Course was in great shape. Even a little wet in a few spots. Greens were fast even with the light sanding but rolled true. Will definitely play again!!

Excellent conditions and diverse layout

Both the greens and fairways were in excellent condition. The layout is diverse, which makes this course fun to play. They also do a great job spacing tee times out so you do not feel on top of anyone. Would easily recommend this course to anyone.

Rumford, Rhode Island