Maggie Valley Resort & Country Club

Maggie Valley Resort and Country Club
Green (W) 72 4600 yards 66.6 114
Scorecard for Maggie Valley
Blue M: 69.9/121 389 336 458 474 298 513 229 402 140 3239 415 342 109 450 375 198 359 293 556 3097 6336
White M: 68.5/118 356 324 430 457 282 501 211 386 128 3075 403 325 97 410 365 183 345 284 544 2956 6031
Gold M: 65.2/111 348 308 312 435 256 399 172 363 108 2701 382 227 77 410 330 170 322 284 441 2643 5344
Red W: 65.9/105 293 243 312 348 256 399 146 291 108 2396 269 227 77 295 330 127 224 259 441 2249 4645

Year Built 1961

Good Shape For Early December

I’ve played here a few times over the last two years, most recently was Feb. 2018, so kind of interesting to start and end the golf year at Maggie. Anyway, course was on the wet side do to rain yesterday, but course was green and in very good shape for the time of year minus a few trouble spots in fairways and two temporary greens, which I’m ok with because that means they care about repairing greens / upgrading course conditions. For the last ‘spring like’ day of the year, 65° and sunny yet very windy, the course wasn’t packed with people so the lack of a ranger and starter was not a factor. For a Sunday, a $36 hot deal for a 12:20 time was a very good deal. Although I don’t think the course is worthy of paying more than $40 on a weekday / $45 on weekends, but if you can score a hot deal for under $40 for this course, it’s absolutly worth it. Sadly, we could not find a number of our drives after watching where they landed rather closely, kind of a mystery, since they actually did a great job of removing remaining leaves and debris off of the course. Younger guy working the pro shop gave me a free bucket of balls, but the new range is about a quarter-mile up the mountain residential street. I look forward to playing here next spring!!

Fun course, excellent staff.

Greens were in great shape. Staff was phenomenal. Fun course to play if you have a little knowledge of it. Very enjoyable.

Great Layout

Tough course with a great layout. Greens have a lot of slopes and border on unfair. If you like elevation changes like me you’ll love it. More challenging than I remember, very tough course. Staff and locals very nice, I’ll play again when in town.

Good course fairways need attention

I've been in the area a couple times and I've always wanted to play Maggie Valley. Play it today the course layout is good and not to tricked up and overly difficult. It's just 6400 yards from the blue tees. The greens were in great shape and are a real challenge due to the undulation. The fairways were in need of attention in some spots but all in all the course was in good condition. I played the Twilight rate for 40 bucks but had I paid the full rate of $80 for the conditions I don't think I would have been happy. I'd love to come back and play it when the fairways are in better shape

Great mountain course

Greens, tee boxes are in great shape. Some summer, die out in the fairways.

Great Mountain Golf Couse

This is a great mountain golf course. Golf course was in great shape and the weather was perfect. I personally loved to variety of holes here. The front 9 lays in the valley and the back 9 has much more mountain elevation. Overall a great golf course that i would highly recommend to any golfer!!

Amazing views, enjoyable course

What a beautiful course! Well maintained and playing moved along well. Will be back

Wet&Slow

I live in the area and play this course as often as I can. Very rainy last time I played cart path only which of course slows down play but three and a half hours to play the front nine finally made it to the fourteenth tee box looked out over the carnage ahead of us and decided it will take another three hours to finish the round cut our losses headed home. This course can handle most rainy conditions not the courses fault. A ranger with a little friendly prodding along could have helped.

Good hot deal

The hot deal was 1/2 the cost of the off season rack rate. To make it an even better round they let us play the back 9 first (75 min) because the front was a little backed up. Then when the crowd made the turn, we had a pretty open front 9. Because of wet conditions, the greens were running a bit slow. Still and all it was a good round.

greens were terrible

greens were hard as a rock and had just been sanded should have advised players of greens or had a reduced rate for greens work

We always enjoj playing this course

My wife and I (in our seventies) like this course a lot, the course is usually in great shape(although the last time we played the greens had recently been aerated and were slow) .We play golf 2-3 times a week at different courses and this course is among our favorites.

Good Experience

When we played the greens had been aireated two weeks before so they were still a little rough and unpredictable. The only long term improvement I would recommend is that more obvious yardage markers be placed on edge of the fairway. Birdhouses, large rocks, fence posts, etc. at 200, 150, and 100 yards . Anything large and conspicuous would help and speed up pace of play. If you don’t have a gps on your phone you spend a lot of time looking for distances - which I did.

Surprised, but not in a positiv way

When we arrived, we were told that the superintendent had decided to close the front nine to take advantage of the incoming rain storm. While I understand the need for course maintenance, it would have been a simple courtesy to let us know of the change in advance. We had driven 60 miles to get to play there and were deeply disappointed. My friend had not played the course since 1976 and was looking forward to the experience. The course is an excellent one and some simple courtesy--a rain check for a future round--would have been appropriate and ameliorative.

Two courses in one... valley and mountain

Friendly golf staff and very accommodating. Driving range, chipping area and practice green well kept. Front nine weaves around in the valley well-spaced away from adjacent holes throughout. Back nine leads up into the mountain which allows for beautiful vistas. The greens on the back nine are borderline unacceptable as slope and close cut causes even the best approach shot to roll off the green (esp #17).

The worst possible service at the bar. Stood like ghosts at the empty bar and waited 10 minutes while staff handled the only other two tables. Didn’t even acknowledge we existed, so we left.

Heavenly Fun

Maggie Valley Club and Resort is located in Maggie Valley, North Carolina nestled between the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains and the Great Smoky Mountains. At 3000 ft above sea level this luxurious golf resort is truly a mountain retreat or better yet, a remarkable Treat. The golf course is the crown jewel of the Maggie Valley Club and Resort, but it's not alone; other exciting attractions in the area like white water rafting, horseback riding, zip lining, fly fishing, day hikes and the spa are a bonus to the golf packages.

The crisp soothing mountain air, combined with rich woodland picturesque views, makes golfing here in the fall, when the leaves turn colors, a golfers paradise. The course is divided into two distinct 9 hole courses. The Valley course offers a pristine country club flavor, with winding and sloping fairways, fast undulating greens, and just enough hazards to disrupt your best round. The Mountain course is exhilarating, breathtaking, and challenging with several elevation changes. It has the Wow factor, with memories, and conversation for the 19th hole and years to come. The course has a few signature holes, and for me they are holes #3 and #11. Hole 3 is a 458 yd, par 4, with a dogleg left that you can cut the corner and thus shorten the hole. Be advised that there is water on both sides of the fairway! Hole 11 is a short 342 yd, par 4, dogleg right with a serious elevated green to contend with on your second shot. Trust me you do not want to be short on this hole. Play well on the front, then brace yourself for some serious fun and intriguing golf on the back. Enjoy, and make a few birdies!

At this point I need to clarify something: the nice warm and cozy welcome you receive on the first tee box is the calm before the storm. By the time you reach hole 3, sharpen your game because the 458 yrd par 4 is no joke and will require your "A" game to get a respectable score!

I had the pleasure of playing this course under near perfect conditions; partly cloudy skies, 80 degrees, no rain, and mild wind conditions. The course has 4 sets of tees for all skill sets; I played the Blue (championship) tees with a slope rating of 69.9/128 at 6466 yards. The next set of tees, (White tees) has a slope rating of 68.6/ 125 at 6130 yrds. The view from the first tee is refreshing, delightful and visually gratifying. My game plan was to start with a 3 wood but after seeing the wide fairway it was time to feed the big dog driver. For many avid golfers, par on this hole is almost guaranteed. The ego boost and confidence will be greatly appreciated by hole 3.

What I liked about the Maggie Valley club is its willingness to forge its own trail in the golf landscape. It seems this golf resort has embraced fun and golf strategy, over length and difficulty. I enjoyed this natural, visually stunning course with a quiet calm and memorable challenges, verses an intimidating, brutal, beast of a course where your first thought is your concern about losing your new golf balls.

As I played the course it reminded me of rounds I played at the Fairmont Banff Springs Resort located in the Canadian Rockies and Bodega Bay Golf Course located high in the hills of Northern California. These prestigious golf courses take advantage of natural terrain and a challenging layout.  Maggie Valley Club seems to have the best features of these courses combined into one spectacular golf course. The views are refreshing and captivating, my round was completed in 4 hours, the course condition are excellent, plus the aesthetics and ambience are a winning combination for repeat business and happy golfers. I throughly enjoyed my day at the Maggie Valley Club and I look forward playing it again.

If you are visiting Waynesville or Asheville and looking to have some fun golfing, then I highly recommend the Maggie Valley Club for your next round of golf.

One Happy Golfer

H.Bell  (Golf Enthusiast / Freelance Writer)

Great golf course

Pace of play was very slow. We waited 5 min on every hole. The golf course condition was out standing.

MVGC

Late start due to frost. Pace of play horrendous. Short course. Still took 4hrs 40 min. Elderly community course. The 4some In front of me drove cart onto fringe and waddled all over green for 10 min per hole. Starter was abrupt and rude like I wasn’t a regular at his course. The valley side of the course is bland. The scenery is spectacular. All in all I would play again if in the area and had the time.

Waynesville, North Carolina