Triggs Memorial Golf Course

Dress code: Proper golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

"stay away"

chazz59's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2018

For a municipal course and under the revenue of RI this place was a pit I'll never go back.

"Oasis in a Urban Jungle"

Pearson10M's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2018

Great little course tucked away in an urban setting. Once on it, you many times you forget you're surrounded by a major city.

Nice course with some challenging holes with elevation, blind shots, and hazards. Fairways in great shape. My only complaint was the the punched several holes and did not fill them. Consequently these greens were "unplayable". This was for 3 out of the 18.

I played with another gentleman who said when the greens come in a little more, they play well.

Overall, great experience. Will play again and worth the $.

"Triggs"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2018

Golf course was in good shape seeing it's early in the year. It's a little soggy in areas due to rain. Greens are pretty hard and hard to hold shots but they are fast putting. The greens are being aerated so they should soften up but it will take a few weeks to have nice smooth greens again.

Edward7836938's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2018

"A mess"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/30/2018

Although it is early in the season, general clean up shouldn't be the courses problem.

"Good deal"

Gowellgolf's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/27/2018

Not the greatest of conditions but then again it’s March! Played 9’for 20 bucks

"Great course"

Toby7547647's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/04/2018

Great course, friendly staff, challenging holes. The greens were in great shape and overall the course was too. A couple of soupy spots but that is normal after the snow we have received. Will definitely be back this year

"Winter Golf"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/26/2018
First time playing Walked Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Played at Triggs for the first time this year! Course is open year round which is great for the hard core golfers out there. Due to the wet February the course was pretty wet & muddy in places which I expected so didn't mind. We walked but was surprised they were letting people play with carts. By the end of the day the sun came out & it was beautiful. We only did the front nine but enjoyed it. Nice long course. Greens were in good shape considering it was still winter. Pro working the Pro Shop was very friendly and helpful. People at the Bar likewise. In fact, everyone we met was so pleasant. Would definitely go back again.

"Triggs in February 2018"

mrstots's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/26/2018
First time playing Walked Cold weather Verified Purchaser

First time playing this course. It's a fairly long course for an urban setting and the conditions were good, considering it was late February! The course was clean; there were wet/muddy areas, as to be expected at this time of year. The staff and other golfers were very friendly and courteous. Will definitely play again!

""Old Growth Golf""

sorenj's avatar
Idaho Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2017
First time playing Walked Perfect weather

The first comment I made to my wife as we walked down the number 1 fairway at Triggs Memorial golf course was that this should be called “old growth golf.” Much like an old growth forest, parts of Triggs are a bit too scraggly and overrun to be called beautiful by some; however, if you appreciate a raw, natural environment, this oak scattered course may be just your cup of tea.

The trick to Triggs is that all of the playing surfaces are great, stay on them and you’ll be fine. The crew does a good job with the fairways and greens and I didn’t have a single issue with my situation following a good shot. It’s when you get a little off the beaten path things get more interesting. The rough is just that… unkempt, at times vengeful feeling, rough. There is not only inconsistency in the tall grasses that surrounds many of the fairways, but a relative disregard for fallen branches from the trees etc. It’s as if the areas that are not a part of the proper tee to green path are not really the province of the grounds crew. This is not to say they are completely neglected, just not overly doted upon.

Personally, I loved this. It’s a very different look and feel than most of the courses I’ve played where everything within the property is manicured, sculpted or at least maintained to promote or preserve a certain image. Triggs is 18 holes working their way through an actual living, breathing forest.

I was a little concerned when I saw that the driving range allowed only irons and that, even from the back, the course only stretched to 6522 yards; however, in part because of the rough terrain around the fairways and also because of a nice design and layout, this track boasts plenty of challenge. The 71.8 rating and 131 slope seemed spot on to me as I made my way around.

While similar in distance (200, 191, 200) the first three par 3’s are different enough to make this okay. The first is uphill and therefore plays longer while the second has water running right in front of the green. The last of the three’s is one that kind of exemplifies the course. Slightly downhill and much shorter in distance (158) than the others, you are still firing at a quite small and well protected green (featuring multiple bunkers across the front and sides with forest in the back). Despite looking inviting, Triggs never really gets easy.

It’s a Donald Ross course and as such the greens are typically small and well protected while the fairways are generally fairly straight but narrow. You don’t have to be able to move the ball side to side much to score here, but you do need to be able to place your shot where you want it. Not coincidently the short dogleg left par 4 16th was both the curviest and my favorite hole.

In addition to having cool forward tees that launch from an island tee box in the pond at the beginning of the fairway, there are two large trees that stand sentry over the green for any shot that isn’t quite long enough off the tee. This does not make this a grip-it-and-rip-it hole, however, as a shot too long off the tee will leave you out of bounds (or at least in trouble shrouded in trees). It would not be difficult to outhit this fairway at all. I used a 6 iron which was just enough club to clear the “guard trees” but not enough to put the far side of the fairway into play. From there it was a fairly routine 9 iron-putt-putt-par.

I started my round very early in the morning and was pleasantly surprised when the grounds keeper not only worked diligently to make way for me, but spoke to me about his schedule on the next few holes over one stretch (he was watering) so I would not have to worry if I saw sprinklers on a fairway as I approached. It was an over and above level of service I don’t see many places. While they were very busy in the clubhouse (especially after my round) everyone there was friendly and made time to talk to me and answer any and all questions I might have had. In short my service experience at Triggs was outstanding as well.

It did seem to be getting very busy as we were leaving, so an early tee time might be best. While I understand the non-manicured look might not be for everyone, I really enjoyed my round at Triggs and would certainly come back again if I was in the area. It’s a different, but in no way inferior, feel. Which, again, I really liked.

"Dissappointment at a Donald Ross Course"

sumbriano's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2016
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

This course was dried out and burnt. the tees and green looked like no work was being done to them. It is a shame because this use to be such a nice course to play when I was younger. The City of Providence just let a valued gem of a golf course wither and die. Sad. Won't play here again.

"Nice Ross design at reasonable price"

Jim60R's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/06/2016

If you're a fan of Donald Ross courses then you will like this course. Although a muni it still retains a lot of the original Ross design features and routing, but has that burned out feel most of the time (which isn't necessarily a bad thing on this type of course). The routing and terrain on this course are terrific and you really need to think about your shots. Plus there are some of the oldest trees on this course that you'll ever see. And the fact that it's right in the middle of the city of Providence it pretty incredible. Really enjoy playing this course, but be prepared for an odd drive to the course passing through some potentially sketchy areas of Providence - but it's fine with no problems.

"Donald Ross for everyone"

MikeBaileyGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/14/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Anytime I get a chance to play a Donald Ross design, I'm taking it, but most of the time, those have been on high-end private clubs. Triggs Memorial is Donald Ross for everyman. During peak season, you can play here for less than $40 (and there are senior rates, too), and while this certainly isn't a country club experience, it's special nonetheless. The greens, which were in excellent condition, have those signature Ross slopes, and the bunkering is classicly beautiful. Fairways are generally in pretty good shape, too, and locals love to hang out at the Rescue Pub next door.

"Getting better????"

Stevecal75's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/09/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

I play this course often late afternoons and avoid it like the plague on weekends BUT.... Thanks to the new online tee time system I was able to get a 7:12 tee time on a Saturday. We played our round in just under 4 hours.In the past I would have to deal with the eternally unpleasant staff who don't care to try to fit singles in. The online tee time system limited my interaction with them creating a much more pleasant experience. The course is in excellent shape. Greens are rolling nice and the fairways are looking good. I'm hopeful that the upward trend will continue.

"Awful staff and treatment"

Mikedel777's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2016

Don't expect the starter or anyone in the pro shop to be accommodating. The starter is incredibly rude and will cuss you out if you ask a simple question. I called 20 minutes before I arrived and asked to make a tee time. I was told to not bother. When I got there I was told there was a tee time with 6 groups ahead of us and we should have made a tee time. Don't ever go to this course if you want to enjoy your day. The course itself isn't bad but the staff make me never want to go back.

Commented on 08/20/2016

I agree with Mikedel777, I walked up as a single and they wouldn't even tell if I could play or not.

Commented on 06/03/2016

Mike please call Karl at the Triggs Pro Shop

(401) 521-8460

"Triggs"

uEVAU2475EV's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/20/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

first time there, can't wait to try it again. The holes could be marked better

"They don't honor you reservation if you are a single"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/05/2014
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I showed up at 6:25 for a 6:56 tee time I booked as a single. I go in to pay and the guy in the proshop said I couldn't have booked as a single, they don't do that. I showed him my confirmation with my phone and he had no answer other than "you can't play as a single." I stood there in front of him in the pro shop for 10 minutes, finally a member of the 6:40 group came in and said they had a no show - your welcome to play with us. I go out and get in the cart and no score card so I go back in the pro shop :"what's the problem now" is the greeting I get. Whatever, I go out and play a nice front nine with the three guys I pared up with. We come around to the 10th tee and there are three groups waiting. We were the second group at 6:40 and came around in just under 2 hours. They put 3 groups of ladies off the back in front of us. It took 3 hours to play the back.. We had a full group wait on every hole. The conditions were pretty good, but the staff was rude and the round was ruined by the groups off the back in front of us. I'll never play there again, but it doesn't matter because they wouldn't honor my tee time anyway.

"A Fast Round at Triggs?"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/18/2014

Until today I had never played this course in under 5 hours, today it was 3.5 hours ... the greens were in the best shape I have ever seen them in ... A great round, hope this is what this course will be like moving forward

"Donald Ross Gem"

Will6655585's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2014

Was lucky enough to stumble across Triggs through GolfNow and got out as a single with a group of inner club members. I learned to play golf on a Donald Ross track and it's been a long time since I'd played a weathered links style course in New England but the sense of familiarity was a welcome one!

The fairways and second cut were impeccable and although the greens had just been aerated I could still get true reads and lag out of my putts. I loved having Par 4s that we're more often than not over 400 yards from the white tees alone, which made keeping higher than a 6 iron necessary in the bag for the next round!

Will be back!

Will F<br/> Providence

"Better have plenty of time"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/18/2014

March 18th 44 degrees out and a 5 hour round is ridiculous . Starter lets out a fivesome and then 3 straight singles wtf really this isn't rocket science. Nice track but you better and I mean better not be in a hurry.