Panthers Run

Greens Bent
Architect Tim Cate

Bar, Grill, Restaurant

Needs Maintenance

Enjoyed playing but the course does need some maintenance. Weed control, rough cut, traps raked could all make for better experience. I do realize the Covid 19 problem has caused serious problems with courses but poorly maintained courses will cause long lasting effects.

Needs Maintenance

Poorly cut, greens not great, just needs some TLC. I do understand the Covid 19 is causing financial hardship on courses in the area.

Average or Less...

Greens were spotty. Entire course was extremely wet. Fairways bare in lots of areas and grass hasn't been mowed. Course maintenance under way while playing and operators didn't even stop work even when we were on the tee box. With all the other courses in Myrtle Beach, probably won't play there again.

Happy They are on Golf Now

with 5 courses as part of the Ocean Ridge Plantation it's great they are now on Golf Now which is our primary tool for booking.

Panthers Run was a very nice course, worth the money. The rough is hard so try to keep in the fairway. Greens in excellent shape. A few holes had tough setups. #9 needs a wider landing spot in the fairway. #7 very nice visual.

Good course

Staff was courteous and professional. Course was not busy. We teed off a few minutes early at 7:45 and never had another group around us. Course overall was in good condition. There were some poor spots on a few greens. We enjoyed the day.

Awful

I’ve never written a review about a course before but since I relied on the review for this course I felt compelled to save some other souls from wasting money on this course. I’ve played courses up and down the strand for years and never played greens so slow and burnt out. The rough is either over grown and neglected or non existent. The man who checked me in was unpleasant and dismissive. We were a twosome behind a slow foursome that refused to let us play through even though they had no one in front of them. When the ranger drove by and asked how things we going we told him the situation and his reply was “ that’s too bad”. There are so many courses in Brunswick and Horry county that you should avoid this one

Decent play for a resort course

Good layout, fair conditions. Number nine hole was pretty bad, though. Greens rolled good, but a little slow. Decent value. Worth going back.

Great Layout

When we played in October, 4 of the greens were a little beat up but the guy in the pro shop warned us about them before we teed off. I believe they were trying a different type of grass on the greens. The layout was tough but fair just like any course you just have to play the right tee's I would absolutely play this course again.

Commented on 03/31/2020

Thank you very much for the kind review. The new TifEagle greens on Panther's Run are in incredible condition now and we expect this to be the case for many years to come. We hope to see you again soon.

Great course and layout but greens need work

Its a very enjoyable course. Bunkers well maintained and tee box to fairways in good shape. However, the greens were scaly and too fast. Staff very friendly and helpful. I would be back but would prefer to see the greens in better shape.

Great Value for the money

It should be on everyones must play list. Great layout, conditions and overall playability. Very friendly staff. My only complaint is you have to walk 200 yards to the Driving range.

Disappointed

I had played Panthers Run a few years ago in the winter and loved it. Course was in really good shape and the layout was really nice and very fun. I played here last Friday and payed $30 for an afternoon replay after playing Lions Paw in the morning. Everything about Ocean Ridge Plantation presents itself as a high end establishment. For the most part this course is not and I was disappointed. The layout was still great. Unfortunately the conditions, especially on the front were not good. The tees and fairways had several bad spots in them. Other spots had really big weeds. It's obvious the course isn't getting enough water and they hadn't sprayed any weed killer this year. Several burnout spots on the course. The rough was cut with an uneven mower deck and looked bad. There was a stretch of holes around #7 where the entire right side should have been marked GUR Bc it was not playable. I will say that the conditions improved some on the back side and the greens were in good shape especially compared to the rest of the course. However a couple of times I had to sweep clippings from other mowers off the tees and greens and several clippings had been blown into the traps. There are too many other courses in the area to play in my opinion. Based on course conditions I would not pay more than $30 and while I can't comment on Leopards Chase or Tigers Eye, Panthers Run does not live up to the image they are projecting.

Panther sure was running

Played Panther's Run (and Leopard's Chase) today. Pace first nine was terribly slow. We were a twosome and went off behind a foursome. We were on first tee at same time and waited EVERY shot for front nine. Foursome group was playing two man scramble format. I even called pro shop from 5th tee to request a marshall. A par five. No one else on hole. We got to tee before foursome finished teeing off and were not offered to play through. Pro shop said course was really busy today--and as long as they were keeping 15min/hole pace (4-1/2hr pace) they were still on pace. Luckily group stopped for break at turn and we passed-- played back nine in 1:15 and never saw another group until 17th hole. Course needs to do better job monitoring pace of play

They should be embarrassed

PLAYED 4/8/2017. Saw another review for yesterday, I can confirm that indeed that was a FAIR and HONEST. FRONT nine in much worse conditions then BACK. NO MAINTENANCE, doesn't look like they water or weed/feed. SCRUBBY TEES, FAIRWAYS are a mess, GREENS have some serious issues with competing grass. It rained Wednesday, this is Saturday and yet BUNKERS, fairway and green, had not been raked, NO EXCUSES! To bad, design wise this is a pretty good layout, should be a lot of fun to play, BUT alas it is very poorly maintained...EMBARRASSING. There are way to many other finely manicured courses to play, then this MESS.

Stay Home and Play with Yourself

Played Panther's Run, unfortunately, as the last round of a golf trip. Every course we played was in great shape until we arrived at Panther's Run. The tee boxes were mostly brown and full of divots; the fairways were patchy and where there was actually grass it was very long; the rough was a combination of hard pan and tree roots; and the greens were only green because they had been painted. Nice greens can often be a saving grace for a course, but at Panther's Run you can expect your ball to be knocked offline by weeds. We had to play 2-putt max. The layout is actually pretty good, but don't let that fool you into thinking you should play here. The course was an unmitigated disaster that left us feeling like $70 had been stolen from us.

Very nice course

Nice layout. Fairways were in good shape., Some greens were thin, but most were good. Staff was friendly, and my wife and I enjoyed playing here. We will be back

Great place to play!

Panthers Run is a great course with plenty of challenges but also plenty of opportunities for birdies. Excellent condition!

Bait and Switch

The starter told me the group I was to play with started early. I was 30 minutes early for my tee time. Starter said he could put me in with a group at some point later, or play by myself. I played alone between two foursomes. It was a nice layout but the condition of the greens was sub par.

Big Cats Growl and Bite

Weather in NC & SC Coastal Plains can be questionable in November, but the week prior to Thanksgiving this year (2014) was better than expected. Playing Panther's Run at ten in the morning began with us in sweaters (jumpers) until the seventh hole but soon after, shirt sleeves became all that was needed for the afternoon sunshine.
Upon arrival the staff, cart guys, starter and Pros in the shop were most helpful and made us feel as though we too were members.
The course was in fine shape although the fairways had been recently over seeded with winter rye we were allowed to ride the fairways after ten am. The greens are 'mini verde' and to say they were fast is an understatement. They were running about 14 on the Stimp meter the day we played.
Panthers Run is one of five courses in the Ocean Ridge Plantation group of "Big Cats". I suggest you take them all on whenever you visit the North Carolina/South Carolina coastal area, aka the Myrtle Beach Golf Destinations.
Remember, cats can bite!

Panther Ran Us Down

I first played this course in its opening season, what a jewel it has become! due to the many years that have passed I cannot compare 'then and now', I can however, tell you of my joy at once again playing the Panther.

As with all the "Big Cats" in the Ocean Ridge Plantation, the course is as pristine as it can be in late November on the coast of North Carolina.

After a three hour drive from home we arrived about an hour ahead of our tee time. Jack in the Pro Shop was expecting us and offered us the option to tee off earlier than our scheduled time. The day was brisk yet by the seventh hole we were in shirt sleeves (long sleeves) and loving the greens. Fast? Do you like looking down at a Miniverdi and seeing your reflection? I have never three putted so many times (7 greens)in one round.
Playing the White Tee set the slope is 128 and plays to 70.8 rating, but is a beautiful layout through the lower woodlands of coastal plains.

The tees, fairways and greens were as fine as any course and better than a great many this time of year. The Bermuda fairways were, of course, dormant but had recently been over seeded and most likely are green with the rye by the time of this writing. The Greens Staff are spot on in their maintenance.
The clubhouse staff were accommodating in every way making us feel as though we were members.

On your next visit to the Myrtle Beach area take time to seek out and play the Big Cats at Ocean Ridge Plantation. I am sure you will be as enchanted as I, just be prepared to out run the Panther.

Valid dates: Jul 01, 2020 - Dec 31, 2020