1.7
1.9

Lions Paw

Year Built 1990
Architect Willard Byrd (1990) Nai Chung Chang (1990)

Bar, Grill, Restaurant

Lions paw

The golf course is not in very good shape. The greens are very very slow. The rough was so long you couldn’t find a ball. To many courses around to play here!!

grounds crew

We were the first group off and we were told we had to wait until the grounds crew crew got in front of us. We never saw one person or any tracks. Thus, the course especially the front line needs a boatload of work

Course was vert wet and fairways were not mowed due to that.

Bob

Course was in good shape, cart path only when I played. Made for a long afternoon as it was muggy and hot. The course was in good shape based on rain they had had.

course is in bad shape

boxes bad,, greens had bare spots, fairways in poor conditions

The cats no longer roar....

While living in the area for about 20 years all the cat courses were a real pleasure to play and work as I was former staff and can vouch.
I have read many reviews and have seen very bad reviews and was a bit put back at how bad they are....the people have spoken and the cars aren’t roaring anymore unfortunately.
I am visiting family and paid through an online local company and for some reason it didn’t go through to the pro shops tee sheet. The gentleman at the front was kind of a tool when I didn’t show on the tee sheet. I had showed through my bank app that they had charged me. Finally he just kept my card until someone from the booking company could vouch for me later which was done. The worst part is the attitude of the pro shop about me going out as a single. I mentioned that as a single I just wanted to relax a play at an easy pace. He abruptly said and I quote “we don’t like singles early for the reason of the maintanence crew”. In these times I would think they would like the extra money???? He went on to say “well you can’t play in 2:30-3:30 hours”......in the end I saw no maintanance men and played in under 3 hours. It’s a shame the beginning of my round was slightly ruined by an idiot who didn’t know what he’s talking about.
Things that haven’t changed since I played lions paw is the sheer layout and character of the course. Truly amazing!! That’s why I played! Unfortunately....I know why I didn’t see maintenance....the course is complete trash!!!! Tees and fairways are really long and different types of grass growing. Greens are bumpy, blotchy, and slow!! Knowing this course for when I was staff this made me very sad as this is a thinking mans course with awesome charm. It now has been ruined by terrible maintenance!!
This course is unfortunately brought down to your classic $20 municipal course level, and that would be putting down municipal courses slightly. There’s a reason there are tons of times open at all the cat courses. They are in terrible shape and have awful service. 10-15 years ago it was an worth the trip to play any of the cat courses! I remember as staff we could never get out on tigers eye because it was always fully booked. It rivaled Caledonia, which is the best public course on the strand. Now I would stop at Eastport to play.
Stay away from the cats!! Their courses bite!!!

Invest in a green mower

Might possibly be the worst greens I have ever seen in the coastal areas of north and South Carolina. The location and course layout is nice but the conditions of everything was well below average. Cart paths looked to be bombed out and not one single green on the track rolled pure at all. Not sure if it’s a management issue or just an unfortunate off-season.

Stay away!!!

The course was in terrible shape. Greens were horrible.
If like like weeds, they have plenty on the tee boxes, fairways, rough and greens.
They need to invest in a lawn mower.

Nothing good I can say. Many other good and great courses nearby.

Commented on 06/21/2020

Played second week in June 2020 and was surprised to see the greens so bumpy. Ball would not stay on line - perhaps that's how I managed to roll in 3 birdies (Ha) ... but they held well.
They'd had a lot of rain but the fairways apparently drain well as they allowed carts off paths (paths were in need of repaving) ... Nice layout and I'd like to play it again when the conditions improve.

Big Cat Course - More is expected.

I was excited to play this big cat course, Lion’s Paw., but I expected more. The course was just okay. The greens were bumpy and slow. The course is difficult but I like a challenge. I am 20 handicap golfer, and I play a lot of golf. The fairways were too grassy but too much rain may allow forgiveness for this. Due to the price and the popularity of the big Cats, I expected better. I’d play it again because of the layout, difficulty, and beauty. I hope to see better maintenance next time. Staff friendliness was okay! Amenities were as expected during ClOVID.

Commented on 03/31/2020

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Lion's Paw Golf Links. We wanted you to know the MiniVerde greens on Lion's Paw are now in excellent condition and we expect this to be the case for many years to come. We hope you will Come Chase Birdies with The Big Cats again very soon!

Bad Timing

We played this layout in October and they just over seeded the fairways and when we played in the afternoon it had just got done raining in the morning and the course was not in very good condition. There was no grass on the tee boxes, fairways were terrible. Its to bad because the layout was very nice. Not much fun that day to play that course.

Don't GO

Course was not mowed well. Bermuda 6" deep in most places. Can't even find your ball. Some tees even had weeds 6" tall. what was mowed was uneven.(bad equipment) Zero of the sandtraps were raked for the World Amateur. No excuse for this lack of maintenance.

Commented on 03/31/2020

We deeply apologize for your most recent experience playing Lion's Paw. Last summer was very difficult due to heavy rain and unusually high temperatures, which contributed mightily to the rate of growth for grass in the roughs. We wanted you to know we have a new greens superintendent who has implemented many new maintenance practices that have immensely restored Lion's Paw and the other Big Cats courses to their original glory. We hope you will come again soon and see for yourself.

What has happened to Ocean Ridge Plantation course maintenance?

My 11th round in my 2018 Myrtle Beach World Amateur trip.
Well, paid full rate to play Lions Paw. Feel I got ripped off. Tee boxes and fairways terribly burnt out. Don't know if they can't water or what. But, then the rough was about 4 inches deep. Found lots of balls other had lost in this deep crap. The greens were about the only good thing about this course. At least they were in good shape.
Not sure what is going on at Ocean Ridge Plantation but was always fond of their courses. Their maintenance and upkeep of their golf courses has fallen well off now. Nope, would not recommend playing any of their courses till they improve.

Commented on 05/06/2020

I just wanted you to know Lion's Paw has undergone significant renovations since your last visit, including vastly improved greens conditioning and a bunker renovation project. We hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a better golf experience in the future.

Crappy greens. Nothing else good here

Greens absolutely suck

Tee boxes need mowing

Cart signs are 100 yards from greens

Cart gal 70 years old and unfriendly

Bartender not friendly

Layout was nice, but did I mention the greens are horrible!?

Bought a package and were not offered any type of discount or anything for playing totally burnt greens!

No reason to ever play here again!

Commented on 05/06/2020

We sincerely apologize for the conditions you experienced in the late spring of 2018. This was due to winterkill that decimated most of the bermuda courses in our region that year. We undertook extensive renovations to all of our bermuda greens courses in the summer of 2018 and they are all in excellent condition again at this time. We hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to provide you with a better golf experience.

DO NOT PLAY HERE LION'S PAW

GREENS ARE TOTALLY UNPLAYABLE. Give me greens that are aerated and sanded. What a joke these greens were. I would have to rank them in the worst condition I ever played. DO NOT waste your time or money.

Commented on 05/06/2020

We sincerely apologize for the conditions you experienced your visit in the late spring of 2018. The conditions you describe were the result of severe winterkill that decimated most of the bermuda courses in our region that year. To address these issues, we undertook an extensive renovations project on all of our bermuda greens courses in the summer of 2018 and they are all in excellent condition again at this time. We hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to provide you with a better golf experience.

Very Average

Everything about Ocean Ridge Plantation presents itself as being very high end. However, I thought it was very average for the area. First the good. The staff was extremely friendly. My brother in law had won a free round of golf here. However he left the certificate at our hotel. The pro shop allowed him to get his wife to text him a picture of the certificate and still use it. That in my opinion was extremely kind. The greens were also in decent shape. They rolled pretty smooth and at a good speed. Other than that I thought the course was very average. The tees and fairways both had some burnt out spots. There were also several weeds around in both of those areas. The bunkers had little sand in them. They were extremely hard packed and made getting out of them difficult. The rough also was burnt out in some spots. And hadn't been mown in others. In areas that were mown the mower blades were uneven and the grass was cut at different heights. Overall, if you could get a cheap round here I'd go play because the layout isn't bad. However, there are so many options in the area that I probably wouldn't return unless conditions improved.

Good time, great course, but rude staff

First of all, let me say that of all four of the Big Cat courses, my group and I enjoyed this one the most (there were 12 of us). Awesome time on the links. When I went inside to get a breakfast sandwich before the round, the old lady working the counter was very rude and actually complained that there were too many of us. Again, there were only 12 of us. I decided not to give her any of my money and went on out to the course. Loved the conditions, the layout, and the overall experience. There were some LONG par 3s that made for an interesting day.

If Leopard's Chase had the smooth rolling greens of Lion's Paw, it would have been the winner of the four cats, but the award goes to Lion's Paw!!!

Unsatisfied Experience due to condition of greens

Everyone has been to a golf course where maybe due to weather, or some other issues, the greens are not as good as they should be. And as a golfer, I can understand this happens. Well, on April 1 2016, I played Lions Paw with a group of others at 8:30 tee time. My biggest complaint is that the greens were in such poor shape that I thought they were unplayable (compared to other courses I have played in the area). Crows foot and poana made up the majority of the greens resulting in a very unsatisfying experience. The other issue was that we teed off at 8:30 am and the greens had been sprayed with fertilizer which included a "blue dye". This dye bled into towels, clothes and golf equipment.
Having said all of that, I did approach pro shop staff with my issue, and they were pleasant and understanding, but without a solution. I believe that when you plan a golf getaway (3 days) the courses should advise of temporary problems/issues or make efforts to compensate the golfers who chose this course not knowing of the conditions.
This particular place (Ocean Ridge Plantation) has four courses, and could have offered to switch our group of 14 players to another course out of courtesy, but did not, and did not mention how terrible the greens were.
Overall, Ocean Ridge Plantation is a beautiful residential area, and offers several courses to play but I would definitely recommend researching the course conditions prior to making a tee time.

Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina