Windermere Club, The

Type Private
Located just outside of Columbia, The Windermere Club sits along the banks of the lake that it takes its name from. Pete Dye designed the golf course, crafting a number of memorable holes. It's his only design in the Midlands. No two holes are alike on this challenging layout, so expect to use every club in your bag. The golf course offers a variety of risk-reward opportunities that will appeal to both low and high handicappers. There are also five, and sometimes six, tee boxes on every hole, making the golf course even more appealing for any skill level. The fairways are generous but lined with mature hardwoods and there are strategically placed bunkers to contend with. Golfers at The Windemere Club will also encounter subtle but tricky elevation changes and several lakes and ponds.
Silver (W) 72 5510 yards 67.1 128
Scorecard for Windermere
Gold M: 73.8/138 387 412 542 192 388 507 446 483 201 3558 509 410 394 203 310 461 423 160 531 3401 6959
Blue M: 71.7/134 369 390 512 170 365 486 424 445 186 3347 483 382 370 173 288 434 402 150 503 3185 6532
White M: 69.4/127 348 355 483 155 337 472 383 413 165 3111 456 341 339 145 267 406 356 132 475 2917 6028
Silver M: 67.1/115 W: 71.5/126 328 305 454 128 302 446 351 382 123 2819 431 293 322 136 245 368 336 118 442 2691 5510
Red W: 69.4/116 261 263 426 109 263 406 332 346 91 2497 412 256 293 104 216 318 305 108 401 2413 4910

Year Built 1989
Architect P. B. Dye (1989) Pete Dye (1989)

Loved the course and layout!

This was my first time playing at Windermere, and I was a bit concerned that it might not be in the best condition after reading some of the reviews here. However, I was sweetly surprised by the overall conditions of the course. The P Dye design was challenging, yet fun, and scenery around the course is beautiful. After a terrific round, we stopped in the Club for lunch. I had the Shrimp Burger and it was amazing. Staff is very professional and friendly. I will definitely return!l

Continues to improve

I played this course last week. They continue to improve the condition of the course. The greens are better than last week. Gary Bennett has done a masterful job of bringing this course back to a very good condition. If you have not played it recently you should see for yourself.

Gary Bennett has done a remarkable job since he took over as Supt. in September 2017. I had not played here in many years due to the course condition. The Bentgrass greens are in good shape for this hot time of the year. Fairways had plenty of grass and it was a very enjoyable round. The course will only get better. I am looking forward to playing there more often as it is a great layout.

Greatly Improved Greens

I have played this course several times in the last year. The condition of the greens has vastly improved. They are completely covered and offer an excellent surface on which to putt. The layout of the course is challenging and offers a variety of tees for all skill levels. I recommend giving it a try if you have not played it recently.

Response from The Windermere Club on 06/11/2018:
Thank you for noticing how much our greens have improved over the last few months! We appreciate you recommending other golfers to come out and play The Windermere Club as well.

greens are very good

greens have come back very well from a harsh winter that hurt almost all greens in this area---this is a Pete Dye design and build, and is an excellent layout!

every hole a good design!

Response from The Windermere Club on 06/11/2018:
Thank you for playing The Windermere Club, Max. We appreciate your kind words regarding the condition of our greens. This past winter was rough but our amazing staff worked very hard to get the course conditions back to 100% and we couldn't be happier. Hope to see you out here again soon!

Over the years the course had declined. Prior to today it had been a year since I played it. I and my friends were pleasantly surprised. The fairways had more grass than a year ago and the greens were in good shape.

Response from The Windermere Club on 06/11/2018:
Thanks for giving us another try! We're thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectations. We hope you and your friends come back to play many more rounds in the future.

Getting better

There is a big improvement over the last few months, fairways are in pretty good shape and the greens are much better, a little slow and bare in in a few places. I love the layout.

Response from The Windermere Club on 06/11/2018:
Thank you for playing The Windermere Club, Michael! We appreciate you taking notice of the great improvements we have made recently. Be sure to Like us on Facebook for the latest course news and specials. See you again soon!

Great shape.....great staff

Enjoyed the course. Greens are best around. Staff was a pleasure to meet. Made my group feel welcome and went out of their way to make for an enjoyable day. Will play again soon.

Response from The Windermere Club on 06/11/2018:
Thank you for playing The Windermere Club! We appreciate your kind words regarding the greens and our friendly staff. We look forward to seeing you out here again soon!

Beautiful Views

I came back to Windermere Club after a 3 month hiatus because I love a Pete Dye design and Bent Grass Greens.They surely did not disappoint. OMG, the difference between March and late May was phenomenal. I am so glad that Windermere Club has focused on it's premier amenity, the greens! They are in terrific shape. I look forward to playing regularly as it is by far the best course in the midlands.

Response from The Windermere Club on 06/11/2018:
Awesome! Thanks so much for coming back to give us another try. We're glad to hear we exceeded your expectations and we look forward to seeing you out here for many more rounds to come.

The Windermere Club has made a complete turn around!

I played The Windermere Club this week because of positive things I heard from other golfers. The course has made a complete turn around. The Bent Grass greens were almost perfect and the tees and fairways are in good condition except for a few spots. The bunkers are being maintained and roughs were mowed.

You should make plans to play at Windermere. The rates are great and you want be disappointed.

Response from The Windermere Club on 06/11/2018:
Thank you very much for coming out to play The Windermere Club! We're glad to hear we lived up to the expectations of what you heard from other golfers who have played here recently. Thanks for recommending us as well. See you again soon!
Columbia, South Carolina