Timberlake Golf Club in Clinton sits halfway between the Triangle and Wilmington. The classic design is reminiscent of traditional Scottish links courses, featuring a combination of water and pot bunkers as well as large grassy swales. The golf course sprawls across rolling hills, which provide plenty of contours and elevation changes. From the elevated tees, golfers will have a dramatic view of the rugged landscape. The golf course is mostly open though there are a few stands of mature trees that can be troublesome if you're not careful. The cavernous bunkers and carefully molded mounding present formidable challenges that will test even the best golfers. In addition to the golf course, Timberlake also offers a full driving range and practice green as well as tennis courts and an Olympic-sized swimming pool.

Timberlake Country Club

Year Built 1988
Architect Willard Byrd

Clubhouse, Lounge, Banquet Facilities

Available Activities

Swimming, Billiards

Available Sports

Fitness, Tennis

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in South Carolina (2016 #13)

Rough

Although is a nice track and can be fun, the overall condition is rough for the price.

Needs a lot of love and conditioning

Let me preface this by saying I’ve been playing golf in the Columbia area for almost 30 years. I can remember when Timberlake was being constructed and how part of it opened and the other 9 holes opened up later. I can remember the clubhouse being out on the point above the 18th. I can remember playing there one year on temporary greens where the holes were coffee cans. Needless to say, I’ve been around here a few times.

The layout itself is still really solid. It has some really memorable holes and you can tell some thought went into the design, except for on the 9th hole. I realize they tore up the old one and built a characterless par 4. It happens. The best part of this course is the back nine to me.

The conditioning leaves a lot to be desired. There were a couple of holes on the front where the greens almost looked totally lost for the season. I can tell they are trying to fix it but I think some heavy duty tree thinning would solve a lot of the problems around the greens.

Pace of play was horrific. I played as a single and got stuck behind a six some who I didn’t pass until after the turn. I still made it around in less than four hours.

The gentleman at the counter was very nice and accommodating but beyond that, there wasn’t anyone else who greeted me or asked me if I needed help. They were having a fitting day with Callaway so it’s possible they were tied up with that. Who knows?

They are also in the middle of a construction boom with the houses being built around the front nine. The first couple of holes you couldn’t get away from the hammering and saw noises. The construction really tightened up on the last 3 holes. The 9th, especially if you’re offline you’ll end up in someone’s basement.

If you live in Irmo or Chapin, this is pretty much the closest place to play. Unless you’re willing to go to Lexington or Blythewood. Otherwise, this is at the bottom of my list until conditions improve.

Great layout, poorly maintained

It is a shame that a great location on the lake is so poorly maintained and managed.

Greens slow, old style bermuda, and inconsistent. Cart paths really bad. No rangers or bev cart on course. Slow play due to a group of 6 playing.

Overpriced for the condition.

Beautiful scenery. Challenging for any level of golfer.

Course in general was in great condition. Some of the greens were in rough shape but majority were in good condition. They were very slow but it was right after a week of rain. Scenery was great! Beautiful and calm with lots of water.

Not impressed at all by this course. Overpriced for these bad course conditions. The twilight rate should be the normal rate at best. For a Lake Murray course with all its surrounding resources and working class citizens I was disappointed. IDK where all the money from customers/members is going but it is not going into the course. Greens were patchy, bumping and furry (slow). Fairways were tight from lack of grass growth not because they are cut low. Tee boxes looked average and the cart paths with it’s pot holes and dirt/rocks at holes and tee boxes didn’t help either. Lake views & Cart guys were the nicest things we experience. Wish I would have read the reviews before I booked online b/c I would not have took some visiting of town family members here. Will not come back.

Nice course, grass tight

The only negative I have is the grass in the fairways is cut really tight. I would like a little more cushion.

Have been wanting to play this course for awhile. It did not let me down. The course is well layed out with some very interesting holes. The staff was very welcoming and helpful with a newbie. The only bad thing I can say is the greens were recently fertilized and it stuck to your ball as you putted. Can’t wait to come back and play once they are healed. Would highly recommend this course.

This was the first time my wife and I played this course. The pace of play etc was great. The course was very challenging, my only complaint was the grass was very short to non existent. I have found that at all the courses in the Columbia area. I hope its just the time of year etc. .Couldn't really rate the pro shop etc because of the virus pandemic. I will definitely play here again.

Saturday Golf

Took a group to play here, as we play here 6-7 times per year, as we really enjoy the course. But yesterday we were sorley disappointed in the condition of the course. Driving range a mess, hit off mats. Putting green very poor. On the course, tee boxes had no grass and hard. Fairways were ok. Greens were very bad. Lots of bare sandy areas. Where there was grass, it was bumpy and rough. This is a great layout, but condition was the worse I’ve seen this course in 3-4 years. Always was one of our favorite to play in the area. Charged $45.00 for weekend. Right now this is a $25.00 course. Hope they can get it back. Very disappointing.

Poor conditions

It was my first time in this course. Fairway and green conditions were dismal. The course layout is interesting and challenging so it has potential for fun playing but the conditions made it very frustrating. I will not come back.

What happened to Timberlake?

This use to be one of my favorite courses. Just last year I thought the condition of the course was overall very good conditions. Today I encountered greens that may be the worst in the state. I play every weekend rain or shine and I live quite close to this course. There's an awesome neighborhood surrounding this course but if it continues this way I can see the houses loading faith and just building over this one prestigious course. So sad

Chapin, South Carolina
Batesburg-Leesville, South Carolina
West Columbia, South Carolina
Gaston, South Carolina

Valid dates: Jun 06, 2017 - Jun 30, 2020
Let The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee create unforgettable Georgia vacations with packages that deliver adventure-filled weekend getaways, unrivaled golf outings or romantic escapes with your significant other.