Style Links

Year Built 1981
Fairways Paspalum Grass
Greens Paspalum Grass
Architect Jack Nicklaus (1981) Jack Nicklaus (2016) David Heatwole (2001)

Carts Yes - $30

Caddies Yes

Single Allowed No
Dress code Proper golf attire.

Showers, Lockers, Locker Rooms

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Off-course amenities in the U.S. (2019 #24)

GCamtour major at Turtle point

We played day2 of Kiawah major in relatively calm wind with 1030 tee time.
Course played relatively difficult over the 3 ocean holes which are beautiful, tight and challenging at the same time.
Green speed was around 9, course in great shape for the time of the year.

AM Tour - tournament play

After playing Ocean Course the previous day I was expecting. an easier day. The course was much more challenging. that expected. Fairways were wide enough, just trouble on both sides almost the entire way. Water, sand, OB all came into play. Enjoyed the great condition of the course and layout. Great to see the ocean on a couple holes as well.

Turtle point in fantastic shape

I've played Turtle Point several times and this year the course was in the best shape ever! The greens would hold good shots and they were fast but not crazy fast and putts rolled where you hit them. The fairways were in great shape. This is one of the top courses that we play in GCAT. I will come back every year to play the Ocean Course and Turtle Point!

What a Bonus

I played a 2 day Golf Tour AM event. The first day we played the Ocean Course. Enough said there. The second day was Turtle Point and what a great bonus. Given that is was the off season the over seed on Turtle actually made some of the conditions even nicer here. The fairways and tees were pretty darn lush for the first day of March. We had perfect weather. Make sure to take a caddie if you can. Just makes the golf experience much richer. This course had a little more trouble off the tee if you don't hit it straight but coming back to the beach on the par 3 was another bonus. Just cannot recommend this experience enough. Enjoy!

Turtle Point - Beautiful Course

This is one of the courses I played for the Golf Channel Amateur tournament. Although I didn't play as well as I would like to but I did enjoy the course layout and scenary especiially the holes around the ocean! Definitely a course worth the money! Will be back again!

Fun and challenging

Nice course to play for any level. Very fair. Enjoyed the 3 holes on the ocean shore

Awesome Track!

We played Turtle Point as one of the courses in the rotation for the Golf Channel AmTour event at Kiawah. This was my first time playing this course and it was extremely enjoyable...just a great course in perfect conditions (especially for this time of the year). Holes 14, 15, and 16 were especially spectacular and this course along with Oak Point and the Ocean Course made for a fantastic weekend!!

Exceeded My Expectations

I played this course as part of a Golf Channel Amateur Tour Event. The draw with this tournament was playing the Ocean course, but I found this course to be equally as challenging and enjoyable. Lots of water and sand. Pristine tees, fairways and greens. Unexpected quick pace of play which was surprising given the beauty all around. I look forward to playing it again as course knowledge will help with course management.

Overall a great experience which I’ll share with many of my golfing buddies.

Many people rate Turtle Point as their least favorite of the Kiawah courses. I rate it 2d only behind the Ocean Course. It challenges every aspect of your game and leaves you wanting to play more. Best value on the Island!

Fear the Turtle

Took on the turtle in another great Golf channel amateur event. The course was in great shape. Often considered the hardest course of the resort courses, the turtle flexed it’s muscles. This course will test your mettle. Once you get through some tight challenging holes on the front nine, you find yourself facing some short but wind swept holes along the ocean. I recommend this course to anyone who is looking for a challenging but fair test of golf on a beautiful golf course.

GCAM Tour tournament

Played a tournament here and boy was it a beast. I have played many tough courses in my life but this was the toughest of them all. Hazard left OB right on almost every hole. Bring your A game or a lot of golf balls. This course brought my single digit handicap to its knees.

a great experience and helpful people

i played the course in a Golf Channel Amateur Tour tournament on a day that was cool (mid-50's) and 15+ mph of wind (this really makes some of the holes along the ocean quite challenging).

the staff was very helpful and the caddie, Ethan, was great. I walked and that added to the experience. i saw the largest alligator within 30 feet of a tee box that i have ever seen. I thought the course layout was fair, while still being challenging. with the wind, those fairways requiring thinking about how to adjust for the wind. i scored well, so it couldn't have been too tough.

I also took a lesson from Abbie Thomas at the learning center there and the instruction was very helpful and well run. i highly recommend taking a lesson on the short game at Kiawah if you have not played there before. i came from Mass, and since the grass is different, the lesson helped me rapidly adjust.

it was a great experience, the staff was very helpful, and bar and restaurant had great food, great drinks, and great service. Enjoy the experience of dinner while watching the deer and the alligators out on the course.

Turtle Point Golf Channel Major Round

Very challenging course. Bring your A game. Green rolled very well with decent speed. A caddy is recommended to help you avoid the many water hazards. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Highly recommended

Awesome course

Turtle point was in great shape for the time of year. It was a pretty tight course but had lots of great views. I especially liked the few holes on the ocean. Two thumbs up.

Great Course, Location and Conditions

Played this course with a range handicaps and everyone had a great time. Much of the course has the feel of an inland course, with the closing holes along the beach. Put it on your list to play.

Missed My Target

A nice course but not worth the rate. The layout is fair - and the three ocean holes were fun - but after trekking out to Kiawah Island I had hoped for a little better experience.

The fairways were in great shape and the greens were too, with a few minor exceptions. However, a number of tee box areas and areas around greens were in rough shape.

My biggest complaint was the number of distractions. A group teeing off from the family tees and cackling and laughing while I was putting; a car alarm blaring; kids riding bikes through the course right in my line to the hole; people in the house across the pond from the 11th green with a screaming and crying toddler; leaf blowers; nail gun popping off the 10th fairway; people walking by the 13th green yelling to their friends during my putting stroke; people wandering down the path on the 15th, oblivious that they were right in the line from the tee box; a gaggle of young girls having a group photo by the 17th green; and other similar distractions.

I'm no elitist - I play courses that wend through communities regularly and am used to occasional distractions - but Turtle Point was plainly the worst that I have seen in this regard, even more so than the average muni.

Finally, I was not impressed with the staff with whom I interacted. I generally got the sense that they could have cared less that I was there.

I would not play this course again.

More ocean golf at Kiawah

There is only one Ocean Course at Kiawah, but there are two courses on the ocean. Nicklaus' Turtle Point has a unique stretch of holes from Nos. 14-16 that are tucked between the ocean dunes and some prized real estate. The remainder of the course is much flatter and winds through shady corridors. Turtle Point was the recipient of far more fairway thanks to the recent renovation, so if you haven't played it since 2015, you can expect much more playability off the tee.

Greens are generally raised with a lot of runoff areas that are shaved. I found that most of my approach shots that missed ended up on grass as opposed to bunkers.

The clubhouse F&B is excellent, including a bar with an expanded outdoor back deck with a great menu for both food and cocktails. It is a happening scene there especially on the busy spring morning I was there. Tomasso is also on sight for dinner that is a little more formal.

All in all, Turtle has spectacular views and exemplary facilities but I actually liked the 18 holes at Cougar Point a little more in totality.

California Advisor

It's easy to compare one golf course to another when there are five great public courses to choose from. I think it would be unfair to compare this course to the Ocean course. They're designed differently, and they play very different, and in fact you rarely see the ocean while on this course.

Course was in great shape and all the amenities and services that Kiawah does well are still true of this course. I didn't think the layout was that interesting. Some courses have very memorable holes that stay with you forever. Turtle really didn't have that for me. 7 was a nice par 3 over water, 14-16 are on the ocean, but on the whole I'll remember Turtle as a nice course, and a very good course, but not an all time great course. It plays very honest too - smaller greens require accurate iron play, but I felt you could get away with some lousy tee shots here.

Forgetable Layout

The layout of this course is very bland. Many of the holes are very similar. The last few holes near the ocean are very good, most of the others are forgettable.

The course is in nice condition, but this is my least favorite of the Kiawah resort courses.

Go play Oak Point, Osprey or the Ocean Course, don't waste your time playing this course.

New Jersey Advisor

Straight Off the Tee is the Key!

I really enjoyed this course which surprised me because I met some golfers the day before I played that said "it was too narrow, unfair, too hard, etc."
I had a great time while playing from the forward tees. Yes, some fairways are narrow but not all of them are "too narrow."
The one hole that was really narrow was the 16th hole (see photo) but it was a lot of fun to play!
I would say if you have a really bad hook or slice you will have a hard time but if you are normally straight off the tee, have a mild fade, or mild draw, you will love this course.

Commented on 03/18/2015

the picture looks more like hole #14 on Turtle Point.

Request A Vacation Quote From Kiawah Island Golf Resort
Please provide your information below and a staff member at Kiawah Island Golf Resort will be in contact to help you start planning your travel.
Hollywood, South Carolina