A fall day view of a hole at Northwoods Golf Course

Northwoods Golf Club is one of the Columbia area's premier public courses. P.B. Dye, son of renowned course architect Pete Dye, designed the layout, incorporating some of his father's signature features. The golf course is player friendly enough to appeal to any skill level but there are some challenges in store as well. Mature trees line most of the fairways and there are a few strategically placed bunkers that come into play. You won't come across much water on this golf course and it's not terribly long either. It's gentle enough for beginners to approach with confidence. The golf course's signature hole is the par-4 14th, which features the famous Dye railroad ties bordering a lake that hugs the bunkered green. Northwoods G.C. also offers a practice facility with a lighted driving range and putting green.

Northwoods Golf Club - The Spur Course

Year Built 1990
Architect Pete Dye P. B. Dye (1990)

Bar, Restaurant

Clubhouse

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2015 #10)

Too slow, too long.

Over all the course is in good shape, but I found it to be too long for a 70 y.o. A super senior tee might help some. The pace was terrible. We waited literally every shot from tee and fairway. I play golf to have fun, this was not fun.

Commented on 10/23/2020

Hello, thank you for reviewing the course. With an uncharacteristically full day, we work hard to accommodate everyone who visits our course and allow our guest the chance to complete their rounds. With that in mind, we are working to best control pace and allow everyone to finish in a reasonable amount of time. We will continue to look for ways to improve. We are glad to see you rated the course conditions to be great during your round. Thank you for playing Northwoods Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

Nice Round

Friendly folks, good greens & beautiful day... we'll be back.

Commented on 10/16/2020

Hello, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We would love to know how we can earn those last two stars next time! Thanks for playing Northwoods Golf Course.

Wet Mess

It was a very wet course due to recent rain, but it played very favorably at times. I’m a 20 handicap and shot 25 over with tough conditions. It was fun despite the cart path only rule. Definitely one of the better courses in the area.

Commented on 09/17/2020

Hi Rob, thank you for reviewing us. We see you rated the course 3-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve before your next round. Feel free to comment on this review or reach out to the team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Northwoods Golf Course, and we hope to see you again soon.

New Greens / New Course

The rumors are true! I played this course today for the first time in a few years and it was hands down the best it has E.V.E.R. been. The new greens completely changed the course. They are just awesome! So much better than the two nearest popular public courses. Can’t wait to get back and play this again. The layout has always been great but with the improved fairways and new greens, it’s like a brand new course. This isn’t the Northwoods of old.

Commented on 09/11/2020

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the team. Thanks for visiting us and we hope to see you again in the future.

Decent

Northwoods is a decent golf course to play. Has some fun holes but some not so much. Some of the fairways are rough and the pace of play is just God awful. It gets annoying playing golf having to wait 10 minutes between every shot sometimes. They clearly tend to lean towards overbooking and making money and doesn't do well tending to their golfers and ensuring they have a good experience.

Commented on 09/08/2020

Hello and thank you for reviewing the course. We apologize for the delay of play during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. With an uncharacteristically full day, we work hard to accommodate everyone who visits our course and allow our guest the chance to complete their rounds. With that in mind, we are working to best control pace and allow everyone to finish in a reasonable amount of time. We will continue to look for ways to improve. Thank you for playing Northwoods Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

The course was in much better shape than the customer service. I was walking in the front door with my wife and my hands were full. The manager looked at me, did not greet me, acknowledge me, nor smile. He had nothing in his hand and open the door just enough for him to slip in and have the door close in my face. I asked the guy at the counter if the guy was an employee there. He said he was a manager. I told him what happened and he quickly moved on without addressing my concern. I guess he expected it and I should have also. On the way out of the pro shop the manager had his hands full and told me I could go first. He wanted me to open the door for him. I insisted that he go. Fortunately for him, a customer was coming in. The customer held the door for both of us. Really guys...Its the little things. What is in your heart eventually comes out in words and deeds. Please do a little soul searching and learn how to treat ALL customers.

Commented on 09/04/2020

Hello and thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for your experience during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game and will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Northwoods Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

WOW

What a beautiful gem. Great shape. From tee to green. Still the best staff also.

Northwoods Review

I’m a 70 yo female and my husband is 81. We are weekly golfers and play a variety of courses in the Midlands. Our chief complaint is that you do not offer super senior tees in front of the red tees

Also we noticed several younger golfers removing the flag stick on the greens which is not following the Covid19 CDC guidelines.

Also sprinkling system was turned on during course of play on one of our holes while in play.

Otherwise, beautiful course and friendly staff!

Solid track!

First time playing here and my wife and I were impressed. A great variety of types of holes along with beautiful, rolling hills scenery. Tee boxes, fairways and greens were in good shape despite recents downpours. Play it!

Good value

Greens are being worked on, course is a good value

Great layout and fun, but those cart paths

The course was in pretty good condition except a few greens were burnt, however, the main fall back here is going to be the cart paths. I’ve never given feedback that said to fix your cart paths on a course because most of the time you can either avoid it or put up with it, but The Spur needs this ASAP. Probably not a surprise by the pro or super, but just know that it makes the course unbearable to an extent.
Very friendly staff, A+ ranger on the course. Friendly and welcoming.

Commented on 07/20/2020

Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We have projects underway to recover the tee boxes, fairways, greens, and sandtraps.. We hope you'll bear with us through this transition and give us another try in the near future. Thanks for choosing Northwoods Golf Course.

Fort Jackson, South Carolina