Northwoods Golf Course

• 201 Powell Rd, Columbia, South Carolina 29203, Richland County
  • northwoodsgolfsc.com
Write Review

Year built: 1990
Architect(s): Pete Dye, P. B. Dye (1990)
Type: Public

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Championship 72 6800 yards 71.9 122
Back 72 6485 yards 70.4 118
Middle 72 5936 yards 67.6 113
Forward 72 4954 yards 67.8 116

Northwoods Golf Club is one of the Columbia area's premier public courses. P.B. Dye, son of renowned course architect Pete Dye, designed the layout, incorporating some of his father's signature features. The golf course is player friendly enough to appeal to any skill level but there are some challenges in store as well. Mature trees line most of the fairways and there are a few strategically placed bunkers that come into play. You won't come across much water on this golf course and it's not terribly long either. It's gentle enough for beginners to approach with confidence. The golf course's signature hole is the par-4 14th, which features the famous Dye railroad ties bordering a lake that hugs the bunkered green. Northwoods G.C. also offers a practice facility with a lighted driving range and putting green.

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for locals beginners advanced golfers   Challenges include bunkers water hazards undulating greens   Great for drinks watching the game

"The Spur at Northwood"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2018

The course was in awful shape no grass at all on the greens just sand. The fairways don’t have much grass either like management don’t care so go somewhere else if you want to play Golf

"you get what you pay for"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

I drove from Maryland to SC to visit my son. We played as a twosome on a Friday afternoon tee time 2:20. there was a five some in front of us and it was not the only 5some on the course. On the 16th tee they let us play through... really. We did finish in 4 hours. The greens were the worst greens I have ever played on in 25 years of golf. they had no grass on them. It was like a spongey surface painted green. There is no rough , all the cart paths have roots growing under them. Overheard at check in.. How are the greens. Attendant says.. "Honestly I have no idea." Not a good response.

I did enjoy time with my son but I would never go back willingly.

Response from Northwoods Golf Course on 04/20/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Northwoods Golf Course, in the Columbia area. We're sorry to hear the course may not have been in the best shape on the day of your round, and we appreciate your feedback regarding the greens so may work on any necessary improvements. We hope you will notice some of these improvements during your next round with us. Thank you for choosing our course, and we hope to see you again soon.

"Accurate recent reviews"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/07/2018

I've played this course ~10 times in the last two years, and it's obviously not know for award-winning conditions; other recent reviews reference the fact that the greens are currently spray painted mud, which is 100% accurate.

After making the turn, the ranger drives down to my group as we approached the green on 10, and yelled at us about the course being "cart path only" that day. Not a problem, but we were never told in the clubhouse or at the unmanned first tee, and there were no signs on the carts/club doors/tee boxes. Groups in front and behind us were driving all over. Interesting strategy by the ranger.

All things considered, it's 18 more holes than I would have played otherwise, and the price is fair for the conditions.

Response from Northwoods Golf Club on 04/11/2018:

We appreciate your dedication to playing our course over the years but are very sorry to hear your recent experience with us may have been poor due to the course conditions. We greatly value your feedback as we work towards any necessary improvements. Thank you for choosing our course, and we hope to see you again soon.

"Reluctant Review"

MBDNSC's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/05/2018
Previously played Used cart Verified Purchaser

A question at the top of the page asked if I would recommend this course to a friend.. Had you asked me this question a year ago my answer would have been most definitely. Improvements were being made and the course was making a come back. But now I would have to say I would not recommend this course to a friend.. at least not at this time. I hoping what I saw was due to a harsh winter. The greens were in very poor condition and the fairways weren't much better. This is one of my favorite courses. The layout can be tough from the back tees, but the course also rewards good shots. It is my hope that as the weather begins to warm we will see conditions improve quickly

Response from The Spur at Northwoods on 04/09/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, The Spur at Northwoods. We are sorry to see that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played and and we greatly appreciate your feedback so we may work towards any necessary improvements. Thank you for choosing our course, and we hope to see you again soon.

"Needs some tlc"

barneyb5's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2018

Course was in tough shape, looks like a lot of play, could use some maintenance. Greens were poor and painted green. There are no bathrooms on the course and not very lady friendly.

Response from The Spur at Northwoods on 04/09/2018:

Thanks for taking the time to review our course, The Spur at Northwoods. We are sorry to see that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played, and we appreciate your feedback regarding the greens so may work on any necessary improvements. Join us again in the near future!

"Excellent place to play"

Holly5176724's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/25/2018

We went on Sunday shortly after a good rain. Course is in good condition but give it 2-3 weeks and it should be excellent. This is one of my favorite courses around Columbia. Don’t be afraid to come here, it has a challenging course for all levels of play!

"Great value"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/14/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

There are several reasons this course is so popular. It is centrally located, has an outstanding and varied design, good practice facilities, and greens fees are reasonable (even more so when using a GolfNow Hot Deal). The greens are a bit rough but the crew is working hard to get them ready for spring play. If you play as a single or double, start very early or late in the day because wait times can be frustrating. And beware of fivesomes...really not cool for a course of this caliber.

Response from Northwoods Golf Course on 03/20/2018:

Hello, Thank you for sharing your review, We truly appreciate both your positive and constructive feedback and will be sure to pass it along to our team. We also appreciate your input on our maintenance. We hope to welcome you back for an enjoyable experience on the course in the near future.

"Atrocious Greens"

Samuel8422228's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/05/2018

Greens are literally dirt and mud that were spray painted green. Fairways and tee boxes were just fine but lost a lot of strokes on the greens. Not worth the $30 greens fees. Check in guy and ranger super friendly !

Response from Northwoods Golf Course on 03/13/2018:

Hey Samuel. Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed the layout, pace and our great staff. We are very disappointed that the course conditions did not meet your standards. We will share your comment with our staff to make any improvements. Thanks for choosing Northwoods Golf Course. We hope you will give us the chance to change your mind about our course.

"Nightmare greens"

terrykelly's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/03/2018

The greens were horrible. Looks like the added the green fertilizer (paint) to the greens but there was very little grass and they rolled the greens way too much. The greens were ugly and rolled like the kitchen floor.

Response from Northwoods Golf Course on 03/07/2018:

Hi Terry. Thanks so much for choosing Northwoods Golf Course and taking the time to write a review. While we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the course layout, and the pace was to your liking, we are disappointed to hear that the greens did not meet your expectations. We are constantly looking to improve, so your feedback is welcomed. We will share your comment with the appropriate staff to make any needed improvements or corrections. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to change your mind about our course.

"Don't Play"

ericbarber2's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/24/2018

90% of the greens are just painted dirt/weeds. Pace of play was horrible at one point on 12 and 13 we had 7 groups. Fairways we ok, traps we great surprisingly.

Response from Northwoods Golf Course on 02/27/2018:

Hi Eric. Thanks for taking the time to review the course. We're sorry to hear that the conditions and pace did not meet your standards. We hope that you will visit us again as the weather and course conditions improve so that we can change your mind about our course. Thanks so much for choosing us, and we hope to see you again soon.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/18/2018

"Bad bad shape"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/18/2018

I’ve played this course 20+ times and have never seen it in this bad of shape. I would never want anyone to play when the greens are pure mud no grass to be seen for miles. And not to mention be put behind a dog fight of a bunch of 5 somes makes for a horrible round. Nope looks like I’ll be finding a new course. Not worth a dime to play

Response from Northwoods Golf Course on 02/21/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Northwoods Golf Course, in the South Carolina area. We are sorry to see that you may have had a poor customer experience with us and that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played. Any additional feedback is greatly appreciated so that we can improve your experience with us in the future. Thank you for choosing to golf with us.

"You get what you pay for"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/18/2018

Course use to be nice a long time ago. Now, I don't know what happened. I only play there as a last minute choice. Greens cannot be called greens...

Response from Northwoods Golf Course on 02/22/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Northwoods Golf Course, in the South Carolina area. We appreciate your dedication to playing our course over the years but are very sorry to hear your recent experience with us may have been poor due to the course conditions. We greatly value your feedback as we work towards any necessary improvements, and hope you will notice some of these improvements during your next round with us. Thank you for choosing our course, and we hope to see you again soon.

"OK"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/14/2018

This course is OK. It has improved. But was wet in winter time condition in February. The person checking us in was very cordial. Lady working in their snack bar was very quiet and unfriendly.

Response from Northwoods Golf Course on 02/20/2018:

Hi. Thanks so much for reviewing Northwoods. We are sorry to hear that your experience did not live up to your expectations, but we will share this information with the team so that we can improve your future experiences at our course. We appreciate your feedback. Please visit us again so that we can show you the upscale experience you deserve. Thanks so much for playing your round with us.

"Course greatly improved"

George7528068's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/02/2018
Previously played Used cart Cold weather

This course has made some great improvements in its quality in the last 2 years. It was in good shape for being winter. A few greens were mostly rolled mud instead of grass, but still played well. Would played this course again. Love the layout.

0913bobd's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/30/2017

Response from The Spur at Northwoods on 01/04/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to share about your recent experience with us, The Spur at Northwoods, and for the 3 stars. We hope you had a great round, and value any additional feedback on how we can improve your round in the future. We're glad to see you received a good value for your round and had a positive experience with our staff. Thank you for choosing our course in the Columbia area, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

"Slow"

u2055405's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/23/2017

Terribly slow. No ranger to maintain pace of play.

Response from The Spur at Northwoods on 12/27/2017:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, The Spur at Northwoods in the Columbia area. We're very sorry to hear you may not have had the best round with us recently due to a slow pace of play, and we appreciate your feedback so we can make improvements for your future experience with us. However, we're glad to see you had a friendly experience with our staff and enjoyed the course layout. Thank you for choosing to golf with us, and we hope to see you again soon for a smoother round.

sirharvey's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/14/2017

"Beautiful layout, Friendly staff!!"

James7294078's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/18/2017

I was in Columbia for a few hours and decided to pull out my sticks. This course was in great condition for the most part, the staff was friendly, and the pace of play was awesome! I can't wait to come back!

"Good value"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/02/2017

Went out at 10:30am and the tee boxes were very wet and muddy, and it hasn't rained all month so it was the sprinklers over watering.

Response from Northwoods Golf Club on 11/06/2017:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Northwoods Golf Club, in the Charlotte area. We are sorry to hear that the tee boxes were a little damp when you played, and your feedback is appreciated. It looks like you enjoyed the course layout and your round was a great value for you, so we hope that improved your experience with us. Thank you for golfing with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Commented on 11/12/2017

Best value out there for early morning tee times. The staff is very friendly and the course gets better every month.