View of the signature hole - number 6 - at Village Greens Golf & Country Club

Village Greens Golf Club sprawls across over 100 acres of what used to be farmland situated between Inman and Gramling. Remnants of the old farm can be seen throughout the course, including pear trees from the original orchard that line the 10th fairway. When the golf course was built in 1969, many new trees were planted but much care was taken so as not to obstruct the view of the Blue Ridge Mountains, providing nearly every hole with views that stretch from Glassy Mountain to Chimney Rock. The layout has a classic design that is playable for a wide range of skill levels. Sparkling lakes and ponds accent the landscape, coming into play on a few holes. Village Greens Golf Club's most memorable water hole is the course's signature sixth. This short par 3 features a semi-island green that is surrounded by water on two sides, along with three bunkers and out-of-bounds on the right.

Village Greens Golf Club

Year Built 1969
Architect Russell Breeden

Credit Cards Accepted Yes

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in South Carolina (2016 #11)

Fun golf

The only reason it's not 5 star is the cart paths are horrible. However the course is great fairways in good condition but the real claim to fame would be the best greens in the entire area.Greens roll true and quick exactly what all golfers should truly respect and enjoy. Thank you Village greens for giving our area tournament ready greens and a fun and challenging track.

Fast greens

Course overall was very nice good tee boxes and very good fairways although some fairways had a little mud on them but that’s due to all the rain we’ve had in the last week overall very nice course but be warned very very fast greens!! Will go back and play their soon..

Commented on 06/01/2020

Hi JLouis1961. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Village Greens Golf & Country Club.

Commented on 05/15/2020

We appreciate the 5 stars, and we cannot wait to have you back again soon!

Still can’t crack 90 here..

The greens are quick, and the hotter it gets, the safer you better play them. This is a challenging course for me personally. Played it 3 times now and still have no shot at breaking 90, and I holed a 70 yard chip for eagle today..

Commented on 05/19/2020

Hi wheelercp11. We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We love a good challenge, and we're sure one of these days you'll beat your own record! We're looking forward to that day and having you back again soon!

New Jersey Advisor

Would Give 4 Stars if Greens were in Better Condition

Overall this is a very nice course. The staff was very friendly and the club house is nice (more about that at the end of the review.) It was a very cold and windy day so it would be interesting to see how it plays in different conditions.

I am giving it 3 stars because of the condition and speed of the greens. I don't mind fast greens when the greens are in excellent condition and these greens would be challenging if they were in excellent condition (because of pretty sever breaks on many holes) but with the current condition of the greens, you will add strokes to your game quickly.

As one of my playing partners stated "It's like putting on cement." And he has played this course many times before so the fact that he felt the greens needed to be addressed is just a bit more insight.

Not sure if weather is the reason for the glassy greens but it took away from the enjoyment of the round. At the end of the round the starter asked how I played. I said "OK but I had never had so many 3 putts" to which he replied, "Well, don't feel bad, the greens were running 12 on the stimpmeter today." Wow, that is championship/tournament speed. As a comparison, Oakmont is famous for the fastest greens at 13-15.

On the bright side, the fairways were in great condition. You do get some nice role but the fairways are lush enough so that they can also grab your ball if you are laying up (expect, of course on a sever downhill grade).

It is an interesting course that makes you think about shots because there are lots of elevation changes and many fairways slope one direction or the other (e.g., right to left or left to right). Also, given the slope of some greens you really need to put the ball in the right spot.

Forward Tee Note:
This insight is for those playing the forward tees. Some of the holes from the forward tees are odd distances. One hole (I think it was 8) is clearly a hole the course staff is trying to figure out. They tried to make it easier by moving up the tees but in doing so the carry over the creek is 150-160 and the average female golfer can't carry it that far (especially in the wind). The other option to layup is odd because you can't hit more than a short iron given the fact the fairway slopes severely downhill before the water. Normally I would have tried to carry the creek but because of the wind, I hit a sand wedge 50 yards and it still rolled into the water. So, it looks like the original forward tee would be much better distance to layup (but of course too far to carry). The other woman in my group plays the course a lot and said she would rather hit from the original tee box.

Also, there were a few other holes that clearly would benefit from the tees moving up. Again, the woman I played with noted a few holes where she felt they should move the tees up. But these issues should not keep a short hitter from playing the course, just be aware a few holes may be a bit long for you.

The course does have really forward tees (orange tees at 4055 yards) for juniors but too short from an enjoyment standpoint, in my opinion, for an average female golfer.

As I mentioned at the beginning of the review the staff is wonderful. The clubhouse is really nice (much nicer than a lot of public courses I have played). It has a great patio to relax and enjoy a drink and meal after your round. You also pass the clubhouse at the turn and they have a great selection of food/snacks.

The course also has a driving range and putting green conveniently located right by the clubhouse and 1st tee.

Commented on 06/01/2020

Hi, GalCallaway. Let us first say that we are so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit. We work hard to create a seamless experience with so you can focus on enjoying yourself and let us do the rest. We also want to thank you for your honest and constructive criticism of the course. Your comments are presented in a way we can incorporate them into actual change. We are going to escalate your review to our team in charge and do everything we can to improve before your next game. Thank you for visiting and playing at Village Greens Golf & Country Club. We hope to see you again soon!

Golf now patrons still treated like the plague greens hard . Fairways side by side look out for balls all the way thru cousre

Commented on 05/07/2020

Thank you for taking the time to review the course. We are sorry your round was not up to the standard we strive to uphold. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Village Greens Golf & Country Club.

Decent Course

The Starter was completely lost. He asked my name at least 7 times. He then complained I was playing as a single. At one point we had 8 people, 6 available carts, and nobody teeing off on 1. Many were frustrated with him.

The greens were not in good shape. Maybe they'll get better. I'd play again as I like the layout and the round cost was appropriate.

Commented on 05/04/2020

Hello andydurst. Thank you for taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass along your feedback to the staff so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting us!

The course was overall very wet due to the extensive rain the area had the day before so the whole course was much slower than normal. Best value for the money though.

Commented on 05/07/2020

We appreciate your patience with us and the rainy days we had. We are glad you had a great round otherwise, and hope to see you again on a nice and sunny day!

Good golf.

Greens are fast,tricky. Read from both sides. Fairways have come in and good lies abound. Great balance in easy and tough holes. Great food when full service returns.

Commented on 04/27/2020

Thanks for the great review! We're excited to bring back the full service food as well. For now, we're focused on safety and the well being of all. We look forward to having you back here again soon!

Commented on 04/22/2020

Thanks for taking the time to rate us!

Very enjoyable time!

We enjoyed our round and then pace of play was fine! The course was in pretty good shape. There were about 5 greens that were patchy and several tee boxes weren't in great shape. The staff is always friendly and the layout is fun and challenging. I hope that they repair parts of the cart path that are rough.

Commented on 04/20/2020

Thanks for taking the time to write us a review. We're so glad you had such a great time at the course, and with our staff. Thanks for the feedback as well, and we will implement some changes. Hope to see you back here again soon!

Commented on 04/22/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Village Greens Golf & Country Club!

Nice course on a great day

It has been many years since I played here, and can't remember why. Course was in very nice shape. Fairways and greens were nice, sand was in good shape, not hard packed like others I have been on. I got lucking and got out as a single in front of a couple groups and no-one in front of me. Can't ask for more than that!

Commented on 04/22/2020

We're so happy you had such a great experience! We work hard to keep our course in top condition for our golfers, and we are so glad you were able to experience this. We cannot wait to have you back here soon!

Testy

Greens were very quick but we'll maintained. Found a few bunkers but they were maintained as well making it easy to get out of. For the money I would highly recommend this course. I will definitely play it again.

Commented on 04/22/2020

Thank you for visiting us at Village Greens Golf & Country Club. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Value Hot Deal

First time on this course. Condition was dry and greens were fast and enjoyed the layout.
Was both fair and forgiving thus scoring was possible...
We will go back

Commented on 04/22/2020

We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back at Village Greens Golf & Country Club!

Commented on 04/06/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, Louzts! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Village Greens Golf & Country Club!

Commented on 04/06/2020

Thanks so much for rating us, and we cannot wait to have you back here soon!

The course was great, but the pace was the worst I’ve ever seen. There were two holes open in front of the foursome that was holding up the entire course. After the round, the clubhouse apologized and gave us free greens fees next round. I wish they just would have moved the slow group ahead ! But, thanks for acknowledging!!

Commented on 04/06/2020

Thanks so much for the honest feedback, and we will use this to make some changes! We appreciate you coming to the course and hope to see you back here again soon!

Great Day

Great day awesome course will definitely play it again!!

Commented on 03/30/2020

Thanks so much for taking the time to write us a review and leave a rating! We're so glad you enjoyed your time here and we can't wait to have you back here soon!

Typically the course is in great shape. Unfortunately, we had a lot of rain that caused the fairways to be matted. That is the only reason why I gave it an average for course conditions. As a course, it is a phenomenal course I always enjoy playing it. Hoeever, the greens can Really test your putting skills. It is definitely worth the drive even if you are over an hour away.

Commented on 03/23/2020

Thanks for the review! We are hoping the rain will clear up very soon, and we appreciate you taking the time to play our course!

Campobello, South Carolina