A sunny day view from The Preserve at Verdae.

The Preserve at Verdae sprawls across a lush landscape of rolling hills and meadows covered with beautiful Carolina forests. Formerly known as Verdae Greens, the golf course was completely revamped but one of the primary goals of the renovation was to find harmony between golf and nature. The carefully reworked course does just that, blending seamlessly into its scenic surroundings. Rambling brooks wander across the layout and provide water hazards on a few holes. The wind is also a major factor on this golf course. The breezes can be either light and refreshing or strong and blustery, making proper club selection even more important. The most photographed hole on the golf course is the par-3 second. If you're lucky enough to come when the azaleas are blooming, this hole offers a breathtaking setting.

The Preserve at Verdae Golf Club

Year Built 1991
Fairways Bermuda Gras
Greens Mini-Verde Bermuda Grass
Architect Willard Byrd (1991) JMP Golf Design Group (1991)

Golf Simulator Yes

Single Allowed No
Dress code Course dress code is collared shirts (mock neck shirts acceptable), no jeans, denim or cut off shorts.

Bar, Grill

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

Entertaining Clients 18

Not worth the $

Apart from for playing conditions, cart paths that are virtually nonexistent, poor drainage, virtually no yardage markers and a complete lack of a course Marshall, this goes down as one of the worst courses for for the money that was spent.

Apart from the above, the parking lot was clean and tidy it right next to the clubhouse

Overpriced and slow

First off, I have played this course 20-30 times over the years.. I have never loved it but this last time just ticked me off because it was so slow.

• Wet – this course does not drain well and many areas of the course and are unplayable most of the year. Do not play if it has had rain within 48 hours.
• Expensive – while the greens a good, the playing conditions a rarely ever great.
• Rough around the tee’s penalize mid-high handicappers – 12’ rough around the tee boxes only penalizes the high handicapper and of course slows play down tremendously. If a ball falls out of your pocket on the way to the tee box it’s gone. Really doesn’t make since to me.. Mow down the rough around the tee boxes to speed up play. You are a an average public course for goodness sakes.

Commented on 08/07/2020

Hi, we appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting The Preserve at Verdae. We hope to see you again in the future.

Pretty course/Rude staff

This is a country club, if your not apart of the country club don’t expect to be treated nicely. Very rude staff!

Great Greenville Golf

Florida golfer loved the rolling hills and tree lined fairways. Cart path only due to recent rain but course in great shape. Will definitely play again if we get back to Greenville!

Tough Course

If you are less than an average player, I would wait till your game improves. This is a beautiful yet very challenging course. Narrow fairways and rolling greens make it quite a challenge. I would definitely play this course again. KUDOS to the maintenance staff for keeping the fairways and greens in great condition. To the Pro Shop Staff and grill, thanks for the friendly service.

Better than recent reviews

After I booked this round I was concerned about this course when I read recent reviews. This course has made a marvelous comeback. Outstanding layout and design. Course is still wet but in playable condition. I look forward to playing this loop in the future.

Commented on 06/25/2020

I appreciate your comment and desire to understand more. I had a great long weekend in Greenville visiting my daughter who has moved to the area. I played three courses on that trip. The Preserve at Verdae was a last minute decision to go out again with my sons based on a recommendation of a friend of mine who has really hyped your course. He plays every time is visiting your area. As I rated the course, you have a tremendous and somewhat challenging layout. By reputation, I was looking forward to playing it. However, I was less than impressed. It was nearly a five hour round waiting at every hole with no player assistant in site to speed things up. The other two courses we played that weekend had seen the same amount of rain as your course a week prior to our visit. They were in great condition and their greens were pure. Your course was wet (and very wet in some areas). Moreover, some of the areas smelled more of sewer than just a wet course. Your course was beat up, unrepaired ball marks on the green (many seemed older like you hadn’t rolled the greens), unrepaired divots in the fairways seemed to always find my balls, bare spots in the fairways, and some that seemed to miss the mower. My friend kept telling me that you were like a small TPC Deere Run. Perhaps it was just expectations with all of the hype from my friend, but it did not live up to the hype.

Commented on 06/24/2020

Hello Joel, thank you for taking the time to review the course. Please tell us more. The way you have provided your feedback does not offer us any room to grow or change. We encourage you to update your review to fit a more constructive form so we can use your experience to make changes. Thanks for playing The Preserve at Verdae.

Some Good Things and Some Bad Things

Me and my two friends hadn't played the course in years so we thought it time to check it out. There are several holes that are dissected by creek(s). The underbrush around many of these creeks is so overgrown it makes seeing the green hard to see while trying to play in.. The greens are large and in very good condition but some greens have a large number of old hole locations. More than should be expected and at times will affect a putt. Location and pace of play was great but my biggest issue is the fairways. So many have barely any grass on them. Even the ones that aren't low lying and get flooded. Several spots they have cut the grass so low around hazards the ball is almost funneled into the hazard. The course has so much potential but in many areas the mower blade needs to be raised and if they ever get the fairways as nice as the greens, condition wise, it could be an awesome course.

Commented on 05/13/2020

Hi, thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is very important to us. Please know that we are working to get everything up to par as the current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game, and we will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing The Preserve at Verdae. We hope to see you again soon.

Great Round, rough course

We have had some bad weather come through lately and it looks like this course got the worst of it. Looks like there had been flooding in some areas. Greens were still in good shape and It didn't bother our play. I am sure they are working on it, but the course usually looks a bit better. Pace of play was excellent - finished front nine in 1:45. Staff are always friendly and it is in a great central location.

Condolences to the members. What a waste of 4+ hours

Beautiful weather. Afternoon walking tee time. I was expecting a memorable afternoon. Well I cannot remember a course in such poor condition, so it was a memorable day. .

Hard to believe this is a semi-private course, with members who pay an annual fee to play. I truly feel sorry for the members.

For those who don't pay $2000+ a year, I strongly recommend you go anywhere else. See pictures.

Commented on 05/01/2020

Hi, thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course conditions are extremely important to us. We are working to get everything up to par as the current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game, and will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing The Preserve at Verdae. We hope to see you again soon.

Not playable. I feel sorry for their members

Picture perfect day in SC. Sunny, low 70's. Semi-private, decent reviews. This could be a really nice time.

Except for the golf course. Just say no.

If you can look past the scraggly tee boxes and walk up the thin brown fairways, you'll eventually get to a green that needs to be re-grassed or at least significantly patched. How incredibly disappointing.

I've never felt ripped off after paying so little for a round of golf, but that's the exact feeling I have after playing this dirt track.

See pictures. And then book elsewhere.

Commented on 05/01/2020

Hi, thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the conditions of the course are very important to us. Please know that we are currently working to get everything up to par. We have projects ongoing to recover the fairways and greens. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game, and we will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing The Preserve at Verdae. We hope to see you again soon.

Hackers stay clear

Verdae is a gorgeous course and not meant for those who like to play the full course on every hole. Very tight fairways and the hills are abundant. Had a great time and know if i played there more often, i would kill it on the easier courses. highly recommend!

Challenging but fun

For early spring and after a heavy rain the course played very well. Cart path only to be expected. Greens were not fast but putted true. Staff made it a very enjoyable experience.

Great Prce

The course was in decent shape for the amount of rain that has come through the last couple of weeks. But, they made up for it by keeping it cart path only to preserve the course.
Once the weather dries out, the course is a great track to play.

Better hit it straight!

This is not a relaxing golf experience. You need to be on your game on each and every hole. There is no let up, even after a good drive there is trouble waiting on these next shot. Very challenging course but very well kept. The greens are very good and very true. Pitched in from 40 yards on 18, made me want to come back!

Poorly Managed Course

A threesome was allowed to walk in and tee off in front of us, and no one in the group had the proper golf attire. Additionally, the group was sharing clubs. Due to the slow play as well as the "cart path only" for no apparent reason, it took my group almost 3 hours to play the front nine. I will never return to this course.

Commented on 01/07/2020

Hello. Thank you for reviewing the course. We apologize for the delay of play during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We work hard to accommodate everyone who visits our course and to best control pace allowing everyone to finish in a reasonable amount of time, but this situation you described is not acceptable. We take this type of feedback very serious at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. Thank you for playing The Preserve at Verdae. We hope to see you again soon.

Greer, South Carolina
Piedmont, South Carolina
Simpsonville, South Carolina
3.2013833333

Valid dates: Jun 06, 2017 - Jun 30, 2020
Let The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee create unforgettable Georgia vacations with packages that deliver adventure-filled weekend getaways, unrivaled golf outings or romantic escapes with your significant other.