Year Built 1955
Architect Kris Spence (2008) MacCurrach Golf (2012) Scot Sherman (2012)

Fivesomes Allowed No. Only with permission.
Dress code No denim allowed. Shirt with collar required.

Birmingham Advisor

Keeps your attention, won’t beat you up

Furman is a charming, walk-in-the-park course that is not tricked up, and allows for good scoring opportunities.

The front nine is spacious. Drives must be epically wayward not to be playable. The course embodies classic architecture, so shallow cross bunkers pinch in the fairways at select points. Otherwise, the rough is lighter than it looks, and though greens are on the smaller side, they are not difficult to hit. Green-side bunkers aren’t overdone, but are claustrophobic and deeper than the fairway bunkers. If short-sided, they are to be dealt with.

The greens are pushed up and subtle, relying more on slope than contour. They are extremely grainy and you should err on being firmer with efforts than you think.

The back nine exercises more cant in the fairways, so pay attention. The tree line also constricts those fairways, penalizing loose drives with obstructed approach shots.

The par 3s are pretty blah, except for the 16th. A ridge that divides the green makes putting interesting.

The course plays longer than the stated yardage on the scorecard. Greenville also received heavy rain overnight. Those two factors caused us to play the white tees. From those tees, the par 5s are seemingly gettable. The yardage for the group on the card is as follows: 477, 464, 495 and 448. As a 6-handicap, my eyes lit up and I’m thinking birdies. I played them collectively at +3! Miss in the wrong place and bogey and double bogey are in play.

I had been wanting to get out to Furman since I found out they had a course back in February. Finally made it out today and boy was it a treat. When I first got there, I saw that the greens had just been top dressed and I was disappointed to have driven an hour to play on sandy greens, expecting them to be slow and bumpy. However, the staff did a great job and it affected the putts none whatsoever. As a matter of fact the greens were firm, and the fastest I have played in quiet some times. Most of the greens are slightly raised and divided into sections which makes hitting the green, and the correct part of the green very important. The fairways and tee boxes were cut and in really good shape as well. The rough was pretty thick in spots and if your ball got down in it was hard to see. The bunkers had plenty of sand and were pretty consistent. The layout is really fun. It is plenty challenging without beating you to death. A good mix of long, short, straight dogleg left, dogleg right holes. Really fun to play. The front 9 is pretty open, not to say the fairways were huge, but plenty of room to find your ball and hit it if you miss the fairway. Things really tighten up on the back 9 and in my opinion it is much more challenging. Its a great course and I cant wait to find a time when I can go back.

Shameful behavior

My husband was hit by a golf ball on the 18th green yesterday. While we don’t hold Furman responsible for this incident, their reaction and treatment of my husband who could have lost his eyesight in his left eye (according to ER doctors) was treated with dismissiveness and an incredible lack of concern when we went to get his possessions. They didn’t even offer to help load his bags in the car. Very shortsighted and foolish and uncaring. Hope no one else receives this kind of treatment.

New Jersey Advisor

You Get What You See and that's the a Good Thing!

I really enjoyed playing Furman University Golf Course. The staff was very welcoming and friendly and so were all the other golfers.

The course has a nice practice ares to warmup and there is a practice putting green by Hole #1 and Hole #10. The day I played we started our round on Hole #10.

The course is a good walking course but I took a cart because it was very hot and humid.

As I said in my review title, You get what you see and that is a good thing. You don't need to guess too much about what is ahead of you. The only hole that had water (that you could not see from the Tee is Hole 10). So you have been warned, there is a pond you need to carry (for me on my second shot) and if you are a long hitter you probably need to check the yardage before you bomb it down the fairway.

The tricky part of the course - the greens. The majority of them are raised (think Pete Dye) and many have various plateaus so local knowledge of the greens would be an advantage. On the bright side, it's a great course to practice your bump and run shot.

I really enjoyed the course and would definitely play again.

Good course fun to play Easy to walk and setup tee times online

Georgia Advisor

Excellent course layout in great condition

II have played Furman golf course several times and each time I play, I really like the course and it is always in top condition.

The course is layed out on pretty, rolling land, with tree-lined fairways. The course is very wide open. I didn't lose a ball all day long because if you miss-hit the course is pretty wide open. Some of the tee shots on the holes give plenty of room off the tee, and tee shots make you feel like you are trying to hit your drive down a bowling alley.

The course plays longer than the yardage with many uphill shots. All the greens (except two or three) are slightly elevated making club selection critical and the yardage a little longer than what is stated on the card.

The greens are very smooth and roll true with lots of undulations and breaks. The nice greens made putting challenging, but very fair.

The tee boxes were lush and nice. The fairways were great with very few bare spots. The rough was lush, long and very challenging. Overall, the course is in great condition.

This is the place if you are ever in the Greenville area

I've played this course a couple of times previously, although it had been many years since the last time I teed it up here, so it was like playing it for the first time. I showed up without a tee time early on a weekday morning, hoping I could get paired up with someone else. No such luck. The wierd part is that the lady checking me in said that the earliest tee time I could get where they could pair me with someone was like 2 hours from when I showed up. I was on vacation, so I didn't care, so I said sure. I took my time and hit the range, and had an extended warm up session, which was nice. When it came time for my tee time I was then informed that I should just go ahead and tee off by myself, as the twosome that was supposed to show up never did. The course was packed already, so I really didn't want to play as a single, but after waiting another 20 minutes and no one was teeing off I went ahead and went. Really just a strange situation, and there's nothing anyone can do about that. I was a single, so I just shrugged it off and teed off. The course itself is in fantastic shape. They had just punched the greens a few weeks ago, but it didn't really detract from putting too much. I ended up pairing up with one guy who went off behind me, for the front nine, and then he left after nine holes. So I'm back to being a single, and waiting on a full course in front of me that honestly were playing at a good 4-hour round pace, so I can't complain about the pace of play really at all, even if I like to fly around any golf course. What you really need to know is that this course is a tremendous value for the golf course that you get. They play (or used to anyway) USGA qualifiers here, so you know you are getting a top notch track in excellent shape. From the tips it will be all the golf course anyone can handle, and they have enough tees for any level of skilled golfer. The fairways are wide open enough that if you aren't the greatest golfer you can still manage your way around this place. Basically whenever I drive up to Asheville to visit my folks my car starts shaking when I drive by this place. Great golf course, and such a great value to play every time.

Fun time

This course was really fun. Very fast, elevated greens, great course conditions. Wonderful layout. The course demands a specific shot from every location tee to green. Loved it.

Enjoyed our round

Missed out playing here last year due to rain so nice to revisit on a very sunny day.
Course conditions were good, greens were tough to read and somewhat fast but rough made it tough to find balls if you were off course.
Overall enjoyed the course and would come back

Fantastic Greens....

Terrific course. Beautiful rolling land, and tree-lined fairways. Some of the holes give some room, and others make you feel like you are trying to hit it down a bus aisle. The course plays longer than the yardage with a plenty of uphill shots....and all of the greens are slightly elevated making club selection critical. But the greens are amazing. Lots of undulations (wonderful), and perfectly smooth. Made putting challenging, but loads of fun. Cannot wait to go back

Taylors, South Carolina