Year Built 1998
Architect Mike Strantz (1998)

Single Allowed No
Dress code Appropriate golf attire

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 18

If you like Mike Stranz....

you'll LOVE Tobacco Road. Full disclosure, I'm a fan - which means I'm ok with a fair number of blind shots and forced carries. If you've played Caledonia or True Blue, you'll very likely enjoy this track. The one area that needs attention is pace of play. MOVE UP AT LEAST ONE SET OF TEES. Do not use your "normal yardage" as a guide. Unfortunately we had a number of folks on the course who were over matched and slowed us down significantly. Otherwise, again, I loved the layout, conditions were great and the staff was extremely solid.

4.5 hours for 12 holes

Love or hate this contrived, tricked up layout and it’s silly routing....everybody is entitled to an opinion. Tobacco Road is a monument to slow play and a poster child for everything ruining golf.

Two hours into our round we had just finished the 5th hole. We requested a refund and were offered only a rain check...as if we would ever return. We finally gave up after finishing 12 holes ... 4.5 hours into the round .

Pro sho staff is disinterested to the point of being rude. “There’s nothing we can do.” Guys who don’t belong on the course and can’t hit the ball 200 yards play the back tees and everyone suffers.

REALLY?

It’s all about the Benjamins here. They know most people will never return so they simply don’t care.

Commented on 02/12/2020

I like this course but pace of play here is a major problem.

Commented on 11/14/2019

hey buddy, your a clown.

sincerely,
every other golfer

Seven hour round

After1 1/4 hours we had only played 3 holes. When the marshall showed up we told him the pace of play was unacceptable. He did nothing to speed up the groups ahead—-who all were trying to play from the championship tees. On the eighth tee we called the pro shop and told them it had taken four hours to play 7 holes. Nothing was done. Finally, after 12 holes, having been on the course for 5 1/2 hours, we gave up and went in. When we told the head pro why we quit, and asked for at least a partial refund of our green fees, we were told “no refunds.”
This course is very challenging but management does absolutely nothing to make golfers play from tees appropriate to ther abilities.
Do not take the time to go there unless you enjoy 7 hour rounds.

Disappointed golfer

We visited Pinehurst last week (8 golfers) and on Sunday we were planning to play 18 holes at tobacco road in Durham, NC. and head to the airport after that. It was raining and the course was closed for few hours and that meant that some of us who were flying back couldn't play. I asked the director of golf, Chris Brown, who was at the shop on Sunday as to what are our options and he said that we can give you a rain check good for a year only. I told him that we play different courses every year (like other groups do) and we are not going back next year here. I asked if he can issue the rain check to legacy vacation who arranged our trip and he said NO, we cant issue a rain check to a booking agency and it has to issued to us. Basically Chris Brown, director of golf, rejected any option I offered to him. I asked to speak with the GM, and he said the buck stops with him. the cost of this course is over $150 and it is not cheap!. We played the course a couple of years ago and we loved the course, however the management at the course are MONEY HUNGRY and UNWILLING to work with you if any issue(s). The golf shop people should take customer service training course. We were disappointed with Chris Brown and the way he treated us and the people who were waiting at the course to play were looking at us and shaking their head for the ill treatment we got for the course management. Very disappointed and will not come back to the course. If you want to play at that course, be careful!!

Iowa Advisor

Roller Coaster Golf!

I played Tobacco Road three times on a recent golf trip to North Carolina. I can only describe the trip around the course as Roller Coaster Golf. It's such a fun ride, but you gotta hold on for dear life at some points.

If you've read or heard anything about Tobacco Road, you know it's golf at it's craziest. Mike Strantz sculpted a brilliant routing out of an old mine about 30 minutes from Pinehurst. The result is a course with intimidating blind shots, huge undulating greens and fantastic views all around.

While many of the tee shots are blind and look narrow, there is actually a lot of room out there. I'm not the straightest driver of the golf ball, and I only lost 2 balls in 3 rounds. The key is to trust your lines and hit it.

There are also many birdies to be had around the course. On every green there are 1-2 slopes you can use to get your approach shot close to the hole. In our group, we had lots of shots roll to within a few feet of the cup.

One of the coolest aspects of the course is the bunkers, which are all waste areas. There's not a single rake on the course! And you can take your cart right into the bunker if you want. On holes like 6 and 17, you have to drive into the bunker to get close to the green.

My favorite hole is the par 4, 9th. From the ripper tees it plays about 420 yards to a severely uphill green. There is a massive bunker if you miss the green to the right. It's so much fun walking up to the green not knowing if your ball found the surface or not! I love the suspense.

I cannot recommend Tobacco Road highly enough. It's a must play for everyone who loves golf.

Strantz Forever

I have played 5 of Mike Strantz's courses and this one is second only to Caledonia for the "Pleasure to Play" factor. Wandering through large sand formations left from previous "mining" operations the course challenges your imagination on every hole. The par 5 #15 with the passageway between two huge mounds makes you place your layup shot to the proper side of the fairway for the daily pin placement. Condiitions were very good and my Son and Grandson and I all enjoyed the friendliness and courtesy of the staff. It is a tragedy that Mike passed away as he was entering the prime of his life and career. Had he lived longer I am sure he would have added more challenging but enjoyable courses to his repertoire. Perhaps he now is the Course Designer of Record in Heaven and hopefully I will be able to play on a Mike Strantz course if I am privileged to make it there.

Whee!

Played here at 10 AM on a weekday in September. Went off by myself with no prior knowledge of the course. I have a Garmin GPS that showed me the general hole layouts. A lot of guess work as to where to hit it off of the tee and even more as to where the green actually was. Conditions were very good and the greens were of a moderate speed. Over some shots I actually said out loud to myself "where the Heck do I hit it?" Overall it was great fun if a bit frustrating at times. Would love to play it again with some newly learned course knowledge.

North Carolina Advisor

One of North Carolina's Best

Our day at The Road was unfortunately very wet with passing showers and a couple brief downpours. But despite subpar weather conditions, it was a great day of golf at one of North Carolina's most unique courses.

From the valleys off the first tee to the completely blind 18th tee shot, The Road is truly a quirky and unique design, with no two holes the same. There are myriad waste bunkers surrounding each hole, but the fairways are quite generous. Conditions were great, even with all the rain the course received; the greens rolled great all day and drained well. However, some waste bunkers showed signs of erosion, likely as the result of all the rain.

It's a great test of golf and shot making, with lots of sharp doglegs, blind approaches, and elevation changes. The greens are also very undulating. It's not overly long (only 6,500 from the tips), but still a great test of your game.

My only gripe is the price: we paid $130 for a Saturday afternoon round with a cart and range balls, but I can't help think that's a bit steep. No doubt there's some Pinehurst inflation present, but I think this is more of a $100 course than a $130 course.

Nevertheless, The Road remains one of my favorite courses and I'll definitely be back for another fun round.

OVERALL: 8.6/10.

Staff made the day

Knew this was a love/hate course going in, and I definitely slanted toward love. I expected crazy holes after reading reviews and hearing word of mouth, but aside from a couple holes (circular dogleg par 5, for example), it was fair and “real” golf. Staff moved us on the 2nd tee to avoid some awful and slow golfers ahead of us, so we ended up jumping around to finish the round, but it was most welcome and the kind of proactive service more courses should deploy. If you are going to put out a bunch of slow hackers, don’t let them ruin everyone’s day by turning every round into 5+ hours.

Sand Hills Special

Currently rated 53 in the 2019 Golf Digest Top 100 places you can play. While excellent I believe it is slightly over-rated. The greens and fairways were in fantastic condition, it would have been a challenge for them to be better. Course layout is considered by many to be diabolical, for me it was just convoluted. There were way to many blind shots. A few holes you can not even see the fairway from the tee, much less the greens. They had at least 7 holes requiring you to ring a bell so the group behind you knew it was safe. The bunkers/waste areas were challenging yet penal and the greens were exceptional in the way they were sloped to either assist a good shot or punish a slightly bad one.

The combination of green reading, requirements, people not ringing bells, and totally blind shots make this a long round. You should plan to spend a minimum of 4.5 hours here on a round of golf. We played the front in 2:10 and the back in 2;40. We ran into a deliberate group of golfers that were obviously perplexed by the greens. This would be a norm for a day of golf here,

We played from the Disc marker (traditional blue/white).
The course rating/slope was 71.3/143 and played out to 6317 yards.

My golf partners rated this as a personal top 10, for me a definite return, but not nearly a top 10. Although due to the uniqueness of this course it should be a must play for the avid golfer.

Golf Channel

Extremely unique offering in the Pinehurst-area sand hills

This Mike Stranz designed course should absolutely be on your list. The design can at times feel fairly wild/freeform when compared to other more traditional North Carolina sand hills style courses.

Stranz was considered by many to be more artist than course designer and there is no place more demonstrative of that fact than Tobacco Road. From the moment you drive in passing a sand and gravel plant at the entrance to the old-school machinery art leading up to the clubhouse, you realize you'll be in for a unique experience. The clubhouse and facilities are simple, but inviting and match the overall vibe of the facility.

As a player, you can get caught up in the visual intimidation out there in front of you, so you'll really benefit from a yardage book or GPS/satellite app. This bird's eye view will boost your confidence and help with club selection as there are many holes where driver isn't necessary.

I loved the Par 3s at Tobacco Road as they featured some of the most dramatic greens on the course. Though the greens can be very undulating, I found they help you if you use them to your advantage to feed the ball to the hole.

I'd definitely love another crack at TR because I feel I'm much smarter and more informed about the layout and expectations after my first time through.

Second time around - don't think I'll be back

Played TR early in the spring and was my 2nd time playing it. Played the year before - both times as part of a guys golf trip down from Ontario Canada. The first time we played we kind of enjoyed it but couldn't quite make up our minds whether or not we really liked it. There were a lot of blind shots and some tricked up holes. We wondered if we knew the course a bit better, would it be a course we would like to play. Well, after our second time playing there, we decided it wasn't our cup of tea. Despite knowing the course and what to expect, we found the layout too unconventional for our liking. Too many blind shots and tricked up holes.
We would definitely recommend playing here in order to test your game and to decide for yourself if it's something you like. I think its a "love it or hate it" type of layout.
Course conditions were excellent - nice fairways and fast hard greens. Pace of play was a bit slow but not too bad. It's a bit out of the way but worth the effort to play a very unconventional course.

5 1/2 Hour Round!

Love the layout and the conditions were excellent. There are some blind tee shots but the course is very fair and generous fairways.

But the tee times were 20 minutes behind schedule and the round took 5 and a half hours!! Totally ruined the flow of the round. I'll play it again but this time in the AM with faster rounds (hopefully!!)

Indy Advisor

Unique Fun Course

To say Tobacco Road is unique is an understatement. Other Strantz courses can be tricked up but not to this extreme. Ski slope greens and fairways are found throughout the course. There are several holes where position matters more than distance. If you spray, there are all kinds of dangers awaiting from waste bunkers to thick grasses.

On this day in March it was very soggy, making it play long. The greens were in fantastic shape though, especially for this time of year. It ate me up and spit me out as I went along and I left wanting more.

If you expect and prefer a straightforward golf course go elsewhere, if you want a unique experience that will challenge every aspect of your game this is the place. Personally, I would play here as often as I could if I lived in the area, and will return when I travel to this part of the country again.

El Camino

I took a quick look around the El Camino course on the front nine on the way out of Pinehurst. The course was in great shape given the heavy rains that we'd gotten in the area for the past 10 hours. Everything drained fairly well within 30-45 minutes of the rain stopping. Fairways maintained very well, greens smooth. Always a course to stop by and play if you're in the area.

Best course I’ve played

This is the best course I’ve ever played.
You can only make golf course conditions so good and many of the courses I’ve played are in great condition. We played Pinehurst #4 and Pine Needles as well on this trip, and they were in perfect condition just like Tobacco Road.
The layout however is another thing, and Tobacco Road is the most amazing layout I’ve ever played.

What A Delight

Absolutely a masterpiece. A somewhat funky, almost defiant statement about what golf should be for those who love the game. On every hole I saw something that I had never seen before. The architect (the Late Mike Stranz) took chances and they all worked. Blind shots that provided some clues for those attuned to the shape of golf holes,, broad fairways that do not reward inaccuracies, sloping greens that punished inaccurately struck shots but were quite fair when the result was pin high, and a short par five, sharply angled requiring a high approach to a very small green inside a natural depression. The course was eminently playable but deliberately shaggy around the edges. There are no bunkers, but waste areas, through which carts are often driven, are everywhere and a local rule states that a ball may be replaced to an acceptable lie without penalty. I suspect the original links courses in Scotland were played the same way. The whole vibe is very rural, the opposite of Pinehurst, and the facilities are acceptable but minimal. My only complaint is that the bar/ snack bar closes early, so if you have staggered in off the course near sundown in early October (around 630PM) after an intense examination of your game, alcohol will not be available to help you deal with your thoughts and emotions. Still, a huge value at $120. I hope to come back.

Virginia Advisor

Even Better A Second Time Around

I first played this course back in March and it instantly became my favorite course of all time. From the truly unique layout to the fantastic playing conditions, exceptional staff and a surprisingly good value, Tobacco Road is an elite golf destination and my second visit proved that even more.

The design of this course is where it gets its reputation and deservedly so. You won’t see another course like this anywhere (although a slightly more palatable version of Mike Strantz’ drastic layout design will be available again next spring with the re-opening of Royal New Kent GC near Williamsburg, VA). Fairways and greens hidden by large mounds are a recurring theme throughout, forcing you to aim at backdrop features and trust your yardages (I will once again stress as I did in my original review: I HIGHLY recommend hiring a caddie for your first round).

The only enhancement I noted from my first visit in March (there really wasn’t a whole lot that I saw any room for improvement) was the course conditions, now in prime season the turf was fantastic and with all the rain they’ve had this year it was impressive to see not only the grassy areas looking immaculate but also the waste areas. Not a single sign of runoff in any steep bunker on the whole course (of which there are many).

The staff continues to be a shining highlight of this course and I appreciated their presentation even more a few days later when I paid twice as much at another famous course and didn’t receive nearly the same personalized treatment or warm friendliness that TRG staff exhibit. At a course like this the starter can make a huge difference on how well your round goes and the gentleman that assisted me (my apologies I didn’t catch his name) was excellent and was a huge help when I suddenly discovered I had booked a caddie for the wrong day 10 minutes before my tee time.

The facilities here also help to give you the right kind of practice before your round. A grass range with target flags is present, there’s a chipping/pitching green that I recommend spending a good amount of time on and the putting green seems at first glance to be a bit much with a absolutely massive slope right in the middle of it but there are a few holes on the course where you’re going to wish you had practice wacking your ball full speed up a 10-ft hill with your putter!

I paid $100 for my round and that is certainly not easy money for a lot of golfers. That said, I still think this course is a very good value. You get an experience that rivals that of pro tour courses at a fraction of the cost and it’s simply a more interesting and engaging place to play. I cannot recommend this course more highly. It’s simple the best it gets!

Best "walk in the park" course in the world

This is my favorite golf course in the world. It's 19 years later and I still remember the shots I hit on each hole.- especially my Hole In One on number 6. I was playing the back tees. Came to 6 and that tee was closed. The ranger happened to come by right then and would not let me it even though I begged him. He made me play the Plow tee. I was not happy. Plus he wouldn't leave. You could feel the grip ooze out of my hand as I swung. The ball landed past the pin and back spun into the cup. I looked over at the ranger to see if he was still there. Then I went over and hugged him! My witness!!! An overall awesome experience.

As unique a golf experience as you get

Tobacco Road is as wild a golf experience as you get. From the time you drive up to the clubhouse, you know you aren't at your stuffy traditional country clubs.

First things first. The course is indescribable. Everyone will tell you it is a wild rollercoaster of a golf course with tons of blind shots, massive bunkers, undulating greens, and thrilling shots. They are all correct, but it is so much more than that.

If it is your first time, buy the yardage book or download the app that has the yardage book on it. Otherwise, you will spend most of the time not knowing exactly where to go.

The course has highs and lows. You will have some extremely thrilling shots, but others seem tricked up. There likely won't be an in-between for you...you will hate it or love it. I happen to think it was interesting to play and enjoyed the non-traditional shot making focus.

The staff was amazing. The starter was an actual ranger that knew exactly where everyone was on the course. I was playing behind a large group, so he was able to re-route me to give me a way to play without waiting. He also swung by every few holes to see if I had questions where to go or how to play a hole. Can't say enough for having someone that cares about the pace of play and enjoyment of every last person.

The staff inside the clubhouse was great too. Spent time talking about the course with us and genuinely wanted feedback. There is a little pro shop and food area. You can get some good food and watch people finish up on 18 while you are on a rocking chair on the porch.

Overall, it is a great experience playing Tobacco Road. This is a true buddies and match play course. Get everyone together and enjoy a unique golf experience.

Olivia, North Carolina
Vass, North Carolina
Vass, North Carolina
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
3.1987235294
Southern Pines, North Carolina

Valid dates: Apr 04, 2020 - Sep 30, 2020
Here at Coachman's Golf Resort we pride ourselves on the high quality of magnificent golf, superb amenities and outstanding service that we offer our valued customers.