Year Built 1998
Architect Mike Strantz (1998)

Single Allowed No
Dress code Appropriate golf attire

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 18

Iowa Advisor

Roller Coaster Golf!

I played Tobacco Road three times on a recent golf trip to North Carolina. I can only describe the trip around the course as Roller Coaster Golf. It's such a fun ride, but you gotta hold on for dear life at some points.

If you've read or heard anything about Tobacco Road, you know it's golf at it's craziest. Mike Strantz sculpted a brilliant routing out of an old mine about 30 minutes from Pinehurst. The result is a course with intimidating blind shots, huge undulating greens and fantastic views all around.

While many of the tee shots are blind and look narrow, there is actually a lot of room out there. I'm not the straightest driver of the golf ball, and I only lost 2 balls in 3 rounds. The key is to trust your lines and hit it.

There are also many birdies to be had around the course. On every green there are 1-2 slopes you can use to get your approach shot close to the hole. In our group, we had lots of shots roll to within a few feet of the cup.

One of the coolest aspects of the course is the bunkers, which are all waste areas. There's not a single rake on the course! And you can take your cart right into the bunker if you want. On holes like 6 and 17, you have to drive into the bunker to get close to the green.

My favorite hole is the par 4, 9th. From the ripper tees it plays about 420 yards to a severely uphill green. There is a massive bunker if you miss the green to the right. It's so much fun walking up to the green not knowing if your ball found the surface or not! I love the suspense.

I cannot recommend Tobacco Road highly enough. It's a must play for everyone who loves golf.

North Carolina Advisor

One of North Carolina's Best

Our day at The Road was unfortunately very wet with passing showers and a couple brief downpours. But despite subpar weather conditions, it was a great day of golf at one of North Carolina's most unique courses.

From the valleys off the first tee to the completely blind 18th tee shot, The Road is truly a quirky and unique design, with no two holes the same. There are myriad waste bunkers surrounding each hole, but the fairways are quite generous. Conditions were great, even with all the rain the course received; the greens rolled great all day and drained well. However, some waste bunkers showed signs of erosion, likely as the result of all the rain.

It's a great test of golf and shot making, with lots of sharp doglegs, blind approaches, and elevation changes. The greens are also very undulating. It's not overly long (only 6,500 from the tips), but still a great test of your game.

My only gripe is the price: we paid $130 for a Saturday afternoon round with a cart and range balls, but I can't help think that's a bit steep. No doubt there's some Pinehurst inflation present, but I think this is more of a $100 course than a $130 course.

Nevertheless, The Road remains one of my favorite courses and I'll definitely be back for another fun round.

OVERALL: 8.6/10.

Staff made the day

Knew this was a love/hate course going in, and I definitely slanted toward love. I expected crazy holes after reading reviews and hearing word of mouth, but aside from a couple holes (circular dogleg par 5, for example), it was fair and “real” golf. Staff moved us on the 2nd tee to avoid some awful and slow golfers ahead of us, so we ended up jumping around to finish the round, but it was most welcome and the kind of proactive service more courses should deploy. If you are going to put out a bunch of slow hackers, don’t let them ruin everyone’s day by turning every round into 5+ hours.

Sand Hills Special

Currently rated 53 in the 2019 Golf Digest Top 100 places you can play. While excellent I believe it is slightly over-rated. The greens and fairways were in fantastic condition, it would have been a challenge for them to be better. Course layout is considered by many to be diabolical, for me it was just convoluted. There were way to many blind shots. A few holes you can not even see the fairway from the tee, much less the greens. They had at least 7 holes requiring you to ring a bell so the group behind you knew it was safe. The bunkers/waste areas were challenging yet penal and the greens were exceptional in the way they were sloped to either assist a good shot or punish a slightly bad one.

The combination of green reading, requirements, people not ringing bells, and totally blind shots make this a long round. You should plan to spend a minimum of 4.5 hours here on a round of golf. We played the front in 2:10 and the back in 2;40. We ran into a deliberate group of golfers that were obviously perplexed by the greens. This would be a norm for a day of golf here,

We played from the Disc marker (traditional blue/white).
The course rating/slope was 71.3/143 and played out to 6317 yards.

My golf partners rated this as a personal top 10, for me a definite return, but not nearly a top 10. Although due to the uniqueness of this course it should be a must play for the avid golfer.

Golf Channel

Extremely unique offering in the Pinehurst-area sand hills

This Mike Stranz designed course should absolutely be on your list. The design can at times feel fairly wild/freeform when compared to other more traditional North Carolina sand hills style courses.

Stranz was considered by many to be more artist than course designer and there is no place more demonstrative of that fact than Tobacco Road. From the moment you drive in passing a sand and gravel plant at the entrance to the old-school machinery art leading up to the clubhouse, you realize you'll be in for a unique experience. The clubhouse and facilities are simple, but inviting and match the overall vibe of the facility.

As a player, you can get caught up in the visual intimidation out there in front of you, so you'll really benefit from a yardage book or GPS/satellite app. This bird's eye view will boost your confidence and help with club selection as there are many holes where driver isn't necessary.

I loved the Par 3s at Tobacco Road as they featured some of the most dramatic greens on the course. Though the greens can be very undulating, I found they help you if you use them to your advantage to feed the ball to the hole.

I'd definitely love another crack at TR because I feel I'm much smarter and more informed about the layout and expectations after my first time through.

5 1/2 Hour Round!

Love the layout and the conditions were excellent. There are some blind tee shots but the course is very fair and generous fairways.

But the tee times were 20 minutes behind schedule and the round took 5 and a half hours!! Totally ruined the flow of the round. I'll play it again but this time in the AM with faster rounds (hopefully!!)

Indy Advisor

Unique Fun Course

To say Tobacco Road is unique is an understatement. Other Strantz courses can be tricked up but not to this extreme. Ski slope greens and fairways are found throughout the course. There are several holes where position matters more than distance. If you spray, there are all kinds of dangers awaiting from waste bunkers to thick grasses.

On this day in March it was very soggy, making it play long. The greens were in fantastic shape though, especially for this time of year. It ate me up and spit me out as I went along and I left wanting more.

If you expect and prefer a straightforward golf course go elsewhere, if you want a unique experience that will challenge every aspect of your game this is the place. Personally, I would play here as often as I could if I lived in the area, and will return when I travel to this part of the country again.

El Camino

I took a quick look around the El Camino course on the front nine on the way out of Pinehurst. The course was in great shape given the heavy rains that we'd gotten in the area for the past 10 hours. Everything drained fairly well within 30-45 minutes of the rain stopping. Fairways maintained very well, greens smooth. Always a course to stop by and play if you're in the area.

Best course I’ve played

This is the best course I’ve ever played.
You can only make golf course conditions so good and many of the courses I’ve played are in great condition. We played Pinehurst #4 and Pine Needles as well on this trip, and they were in perfect condition just like Tobacco Road.
The layout however is another thing, and Tobacco Road is the most amazing layout I’ve ever played.

What A Delight

Absolutely a masterpiece. A somewhat funky, almost defiant statement about what golf should be for those who love the game. On every hole I saw something that I had never seen before. The architect (the Late Mike Stranz) took chances and they all worked. Blind shots that provided some clues for those attuned to the shape of golf holes,, broad fairways that do not reward inaccuracies, sloping greens that punished inaccurately struck shots but were quite fair when the result was pin high, and a short par five, sharply angled requiring a high approach to a very small green inside a natural depression. The course was eminently playable but deliberately shaggy around the edges. There are no bunkers, but waste areas, through which carts are often driven, are everywhere and a local rule states that a ball may be replaced to an acceptable lie without penalty. I suspect the original links courses in Scotland were played the same way. The whole vibe is very rural, the opposite of Pinehurst, and the facilities are acceptable but minimal. My only complaint is that the bar/ snack bar closes early, so if you have staggered in off the course near sundown in early October (around 630PM) after an intense examination of your game, alcohol will not be available to help you deal with your thoughts and emotions. Still, a huge value at $120. I hope to come back.

Virginia Advisor

Even Better A Second Time Around

I first played this course back in March and it instantly became my favorite course of all time. From the truly unique layout to the fantastic playing conditions, exceptional staff and a surprisingly good value, Tobacco Road is an elite golf destination and my second visit proved that even more.

The design of this course is where it gets its reputation and deservedly so. You won’t see another course like this anywhere (although a slightly more palatable version of Mike Strantz’ drastic layout design will be available again next spring with the re-opening of Royal New Kent GC near Williamsburg, VA). Fairways and greens hidden by large mounds are a recurring theme throughout, forcing you to aim at backdrop features and trust your yardages (I will once again stress as I did in my original review: I HIGHLY recommend hiring a caddie for your first round).

The only enhancement I noted from my first visit in March (there really wasn’t a whole lot that I saw any room for improvement) was the course conditions, now in prime season the turf was fantastic and with all the rain they’ve had this year it was impressive to see not only the grassy areas looking immaculate but also the waste areas. Not a single sign of runoff in any steep bunker on the whole course (of which there are many).

The staff continues to be a shining highlight of this course and I appreciated their presentation even more a few days later when I paid twice as much at another famous course and didn’t receive nearly the same personalized treatment or warm friendliness that TRG staff exhibit. At a course like this the starter can make a huge difference on how well your round goes and the gentleman that assisted me (my apologies I didn’t catch his name) was excellent and was a huge help when I suddenly discovered I had booked a caddie for the wrong day 10 minutes before my tee time.

The facilities here also help to give you the right kind of practice before your round. A grass range with target flags is present, there’s a chipping/pitching green that I recommend spending a good amount of time on and the putting green seems at first glance to be a bit much with a absolutely massive slope right in the middle of it but there are a few holes on the course where you’re going to wish you had practice wacking your ball full speed up a 10-ft hill with your putter!

I paid $100 for my round and that is certainly not easy money for a lot of golfers. That said, I still think this course is a very good value. You get an experience that rivals that of pro tour courses at a fraction of the cost and it’s simply a more interesting and engaging place to play. I cannot recommend this course more highly. It’s simple the best it gets!

Best "walk in the park" course in the world

This is my favorite golf course in the world. It's 19 years later and I still remember the shots I hit on each hole.- especially my Hole In One on number 6. I was playing the back tees. Came to 6 and that tee was closed. The ranger happened to come by right then and would not let me it even though I begged him. He made me play the Plow tee. I was not happy. Plus he wouldn't leave. You could feel the grip ooze out of my hand as I swung. The ball landed past the pin and back spun into the cup. I looked over at the ranger to see if he was still there. Then I went over and hugged him! My witness!!! An overall awesome experience.

As unique a golf experience as you get

Tobacco Road is as wild a golf experience as you get. From the time you drive up to the clubhouse, you know you aren't at your stuffy traditional country clubs.

First things first. The course is indescribable. Everyone will tell you it is a wild rollercoaster of a golf course with tons of blind shots, massive bunkers, undulating greens, and thrilling shots. They are all correct, but it is so much more than that.

If it is your first time, buy the yardage book or download the app that has the yardage book on it. Otherwise, you will spend most of the time not knowing exactly where to go.

The course has highs and lows. You will have some extremely thrilling shots, but others seem tricked up. There likely won't be an in-between for you...you will hate it or love it. I happen to think it was interesting to play and enjoyed the non-traditional shot making focus.

The staff was amazing. The starter was an actual ranger that knew exactly where everyone was on the course. I was playing behind a large group, so he was able to re-route me to give me a way to play without waiting. He also swung by every few holes to see if I had questions where to go or how to play a hole. Can't say enough for having someone that cares about the pace of play and enjoyment of every last person.

The staff inside the clubhouse was great too. Spent time talking about the course with us and genuinely wanted feedback. There is a little pro shop and food area. You can get some good food and watch people finish up on 18 while you are on a rocking chair on the porch.

Overall, it is a great experience playing Tobacco Road. This is a true buddies and match play course. Get everyone together and enjoy a unique golf experience.

One of the most unique courses I've ever seen.

This is a course every serious golfer should play at least once in his or her life. It is incredibly unique, as it is apparently built into an old sand quarry. It is an incredibly raw and challenging course with a large number of blind tee shots and terrifying waste areas. It's a course you should play several times to score well on. The staff was great and the course was in immaculate condition. Go give it a try!

All time favorite course

I played this 8 Year’s ago and remembered loving it so I went back next time I was in the area. I was wrong - I didn’t just love it but believe it to be my favorite course anywhere! The people are wonderful, the course is beautiful, in great shape and an absolute blast to play!

Great Track!

This course is so unique and non-traditional. Mike Strantz's amazing imagination created a real beauty here. Every hole is unique and fun to play. You need to play it more than once, there are a few blind shots that you could do without, but once you've played it, it's not a problem. Traditionalist may not like it, but they will respect it. Awesome track! Super fun with some buddies. Play the right tees or it could make for a long day. Only complaint is all the good press has gone to their head, green fees continue to go up. At some point, it won't be worth it. Course is always in great shape.

Don’t be cheap - get a caddie

This was a WONDERFUL golf experience. My daughter & I played there on our North Carolina Golf trip...we were NOT disappointed. I think the architect, Strantz, could have been one of the greats (RIP). I had heard from a buddy how challenging this course is, so we chose to hire (in advance) a caddie. It was a GREAT call. There are lots of challenging, blind shots that require local knowledge, plus walking this course gives you so much appreciation of the elevation changes. But if you hit it well, you WILL SCORE WELL! Give it your best shot...it’s worth the trip!

If this is your first time playing here don't get hung up on your score!

This is a course that is a true treat and your must play it more than once to even begin to figure it out. I played it twice 18 years ago and had a blast playing it again but I did not remember the variances of the layout which is to be learned.
Great strategic layout as each hole offers different ways to play it depending on how brave you want to be!
The only reason I did not rate it 5 stars is because of how it is not clear to the first time player exactly how to play many of the holes from the tee or even the fairway. That adds a difficulty to calling it a truly enjoyable round despite the fact walking off holes laughing because you got 'fooled' by Strantz is not exactly what happens every day.

Virginia Advisor

An Unparalleled Golf Experience, If You Do It Right

If you’re playing Tobacco Road Golf Course for the first time, you’ve likely told some friends about it and you’ve probably had some strong opinions and/or advice thrown your way to try to prepare you for it. Being prepared for the course and knowing what to expect are crucial for enjoying your round and I HIGHLY recommend hiring a caddie to guide you through. My caddie, Will, was fantastic and he attributed more to my enjoyment of TRG than any other factor.

The real key to enjoying this course as it was designed regardless of whether you’re playing alone or with help is to respect the course but not fear it. Holes like #1, #8, #16, and #18 from the tee look menacing if not impossible. But with a sound and smart tee shot, you’ll find the hidden fairways rather inviting and the sensation of landing on them quite rewarding.

As for the course itself, well, it’s the 85th that I’ve played, and it’s #1 of all those, and it’s not close. I should caveat that statement by saying that I love Mike Strantz signature design features which many golfers aren’t huge fans of: the aforementioned hidden fairways (and greens), massive tiering on the greens, sand everywhere, and a general lack of lush greeness. What all golfers will appreciate are the generous landing areas, long grass that’s relatively easy to find and hit balls out of, and free practice swings in the waste areas.

Rounds here can take a while (though you’re rarely waiting unless you’re playing exceptionally well) which gives you time to really appreciate the landscape, even if it’s never St-Patricks-Day-green. The rustic look and theme match the history of the land here and really add a level of charm even some more prestigious courses don’t have. Tee markers are designated with shapes instead of colors, sandy cart paths weave through the tuffs of fescue and waste areas, and there’s even what appears to be the remains of an old mine shaft you hit over on a par-3. The holes here are so picturesque and unique, you’ll have a hard time not taking photos on each one.

When you’re spending over $100 just on green fees, you expect course conditions to be a level above and for the most part, Tobacco Road delivers. In fact, my only complaint is that for the amount of slope in the greens the speed of them was a bit extreme. My caddie said they generally run about 10-10.5 but that some were actually close to 12.5 during our round. Our threesome had several putts that rolled back to our feet and one or two that went off the green completely. That said, the hybrid Bermuda turf that’s new to this course makes putts roll so smoothly and true, you may not mind all the extra practice. Being able to see the grain direction across the green is another cool feature and with no unevenness in the putting turf you can see exactly where the green slopes (subtle breaks, unfortunately for me, are less obvious).

While you are often reminded by the staff that there are no rakes for the bunkers and you can take practice swings in them, they are still groomed by the maintenance team and look spectacular. The fairways too look awesome with their short cut and dramatic undulations. The tee boxes, fairways and greens were devoid of any weeds, unfilled divots, unrepaired ball marks.

The staff here is phenomenal and deserve a lot of credit for making my experience such a good one. The caddies are provided by a separate company but just having the option is what made me so excited to play. It was my first time having someone else carry my bag as I walked and I know it sounds cliche but I really did feel like a pro--I even had a couple shots that I walked in...how great a feeling is that? But it’s really the knowledge of where to aim on shots and putts that make getting a caddie worth it. As a bonus, you get someone that’s passionate about golf to talk to for 5 hours; that’s worth $20 in itself. The starter and pro shop staff are very welcoming and knowledgeable and help those without a caddie know what to expect out here.

The off-course facilities are very, very good. TRG doesn’t have the grandeur of some other expensive clubs, I thought for a second I had driven up to a cottage with a putting green. But everything you need is here on sight (except for an ATM, so make sure to bring plenty of tip cash for your caddie). Two practice greens for putting, another for chips and pitches, and a full, grass driving range. Be sure to give yourself at least 30 minutes of practice time to get a feel for the greens and bunkers.

The value proposition of Tobacco Road is relative as with most courses. This is the most I’ve ever paid for a round (by nearly twice) but the experience was better than any other by a margin equal to the cost premium so I would say it’s a solid value. I can’t afford this kind of venue more than once or twice a year. But as a bucket list course, as a once-in-a-lifetime round of golf, it’s a no-brainer. It’s a gimmie.

Tabacco Road

My wife's Mother and Brother & Sister in law live 2 blocks from Pinehurst No. 2 and I played that about a year and a half ago. We get down several times a year and just going through the list of good courses. A friend from Fort Wayne played Tobacco Road and told me to play it. It was breathtaking, difficult, especially the first time but one of the most amazing courses and unique courses I have ever played. The sand was everywhere, but the greatest accomplishment for me that day was playing with the same golf ball the entire round. I think my partners went through about 20 golf balls. You will either like this course or you will hate it. I will play it again down the road.

Olivia, North Carolina