Tobacco Road Golf Club

• 442 Tobacco Rd, Sanford, North Carolina 27330, Lee County
  • (919) 775-1985
  • www.tobaccoroadgolf.com

Year built: 1998
Architect(s): Mike Strantz (1998)
Type: Public

Singles allowed: No
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Ripper 71 6532 yards 71.7 144
Disc 71 6297 yards 70.3 135
Plow 71 5886 yards 68.6 129
Plow (W) 71 5886 yards 74.7 140
Cultivator 71 4946 yards 69.8 126

Location is worth the drive   Great for a bucket list/top 100 pick a weekend splurge advanced golfers   Challenges include forced carries elevation changes bunkers   Great for drinks

"An American Original"

JeffArenson's avatar
Denver Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/19/2017

Tobacco Road is a course that is polarizing; as with all works of originality, those who like the way that things have always been will not like it. If you are looking for something original and different, then you will love it. I was in the latter group.

Plenty of contours in the greens so the best way to pin A might be to aim for spot B. Plenty of elevated green sites or downhill green sites so club selection becomes more difficult to gauge.

Tee shots of plenty of risk/reward options. If the heroic carry is made, then you are rewarded with an easier approach. Easier or off target drives are met with hazards or a semi blind approach. Par 5s have multiple options with the player going for it in two needing to pull off a tremendous shot over hazards.

One note is that all hazards are waste areas so take advantage of the local rule and use practice swings-you will learn much as hazards vary greatly.

I can only recommend that you play this more than once. Every play reveals a different way to play the hole or something to avoid. Embrace the uniqueness and blind shots. In time, like your second round, you will know what to do. A course that could be interesting for a lifetime.

"Tobacco Road breaks the mold for excellent golf"

MikeBaileyGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/20/2017

Tobacco Road has been on my list of courses I've most wanted to play for a long time, and after finally getting to experience this legendary Mike Strantz layout, I can honestly say I wasn't disappointed in the least. In fact, it exceeded my expectations. Without a doubt, this is one of the most imaginative golf courses I’ve ever played. Yes, there are a lot of blind shots, and intimidating ones at that, but much of that is an illusion. Strantz gives ample room to land your drives; in fact you could say the fairways are very generous, even if they don't look like it at all times. With native grass and sand (it's not a hazard) everywhere, you'd think there's nothing but trouble out there, but it's really opportunity. I played decently, but not great and didn't come close to losing a ball. The most fun part of this course, though, has to be the greens, which are angled in every imaginable way. You can use the slopes to your advantage, especially if you can work the ball a little, and it's a blast to do just that. On the 11th hole, for example, I had an approach to a green that was sloped hard left to right, so I played a draw into the hole to hold the green and funnel the ball back to the hole. Unfortunately, I missed the six-footer for birdie, because the greens aren't easy to read, With all that said, having played the course once now would make for a great advantage the second time around. I'm looking forward to that day.

"Probably the most unique course I've ever seen"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/20/2017

Awesome experience! Each shot contained some form of visual intimidation. After a few holes, you understood that beyond the intimidation was a fairly forgiving area to receive the ball. Shoot out to Mike Bailey from Golf Advisor, who was added to our group. We enjoyed every minute!

I'm hoping to get back to this course one day and enjoy playing it again, with the knowledge gained after having seen it for the very intimidating first time.

Perhaps not the course for a beginner. Pete Dye and Six Flags all rolled into one really cool golfing experience.

"Very cool"

Ted5584078's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

This course is very challenging and difficult. I found that is was also one of the most unique courses I think you could ever play. It is certainly the most unique course I have ever played by a long shot. We played with a local who played 3 times a week. Thank god we had his local knowledge to help us navigate the courses many treacherous potential dangers. Even knowing what they were we still found many of them! The course plays slow because most people are first time players and understandably it is hard that way.

mikehamm76's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2017

"Fun layout"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2017

Awesome day. Showed up at 1 to an empty golf course. Hit some balls and played in 3 hours. Never waited. Incredible layout. If you hit driver well you can score. The yardage book was helpful and we rode up to look at some greens before hitting shots. It paid off and we loved the course. Greens were a touch slow and they had punched a few weeks ago. Staff was excellent. Would go back every chance I could.

"Nice Course-Not Great"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/22/2017

Course has excellent fairways and greens. Waste areas were extremely hard to play out of with all the rain that they recently had. The back 9 gets rather frustrating with the layout, hard to tell where/how far to hit even with the yardage books. You're forced to tee off with a bunch of shorter clubs which wasn't much fun. Cost was $100 but plays more like a $70 course. Would recommend playing it once but don't think I would go back.

"There are greens simiar to the putting green!!"

willmy86's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/06/2017

What a course. We got lucky to play with a guy who works there. He guided us through the course. Most people say this course is very hard and it can be. I think it is fair and forgiving if you have decent distance control coming into the greens. Green speeds were great too. It is a must play Course conditions were perfect

"Second time around was disappointing because of pace"

BostonGolfTraveler's avatar
Boston Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2017

As with the first time we played this course it really lived up to expectations once again when it comes to condition and of course the layout. Sadly our round was pretty much ruined by the pace of play, it took three hours to play the front nine and then sadly we had to walk off the course after 14 holes. We allotted five hours for this round just to be safe so we would have plenty of time to get to the airport in Raleigh for our flight home but as it turned out five hours was not going to be enough. On the 14th hole we were already approaching the five hour mark and there was no relief in sight as there were three groups On the short par four when we got there. I'm sure if you go and you don't get stuck like we did you'll enjoy your round there's this really is one of the most intriguing golf courses in the country but to see ranger sitting in the woods talking to each other while we were all backed up surely did not help the way we felt as we drove off the course. I'd still recommend this course to anyone who hasn't played it and I just hope you don't get stuck like we did

"Incredible Course - love it or hate it"

None's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2017
First time playing Used cart Cold weather

This is one of those courses that you will absolutely love or absolutely hate. The course itself is like nothing you will have ever played...it's hard on the eye and challenges your ability to hit the yardage you need. If you are ever in the area I highly recommend it. We played five courses in the area and this was the favorite. Not a course for a beginners.

"The most fun I've ever had on a golf course"

AHigherHandicap's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/17/2017

Mike Strantz broke every unwritten rule of course architecture when he did this one. There are blind shots all over the course, huge huge huge bunkers and waste areas. Every single hole is fun and has you wondering what will come next. I will go out of my way to make it back here as often as possible.

"Slowest Round of golf- EVER"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/24/2017

I love this golf course. However, I doubt I will want to play here again. The round was 5 hours and 40 minutes.

It was 2.5 hours on the front, and an incredible 3 hours and 10 minutes on the back. We waited on every single shot, on every single hole. It was horrible. Some of the holes are incredibly interesting. Greens were in good shape for February. We had players in front of us, that refused to pick up. Looking for balls every hole. Rangers were no help. They were pleasant enough, but they are limited on what they can do to pick up the pace. It was not a good experience.

"Tobacco Road"

Fortheloveofgolf71's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/18/2017

Top 3 courses of all time for me. If you don't like hitting out of sand then this is not your GC. No OB or bunkers. All considered waste area. Lots of "obstacles". Will definitely be back. Just a cool course.

"Fantastic!!!"

u00000202322's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2017

I have played Tobacco Road about a dozen times and have always found the course to be in great condition regardless of the time of year. This is a love it or hate it kind of course. I love it. I play this course every time I am in Pinehurst. It never gets old! Target golf. You must pick the right tee box or else you will be in for a really long day. The first time I played The Road, I just was amazed at the first hole. It is the toughest first tee shot I have played. Better warm up at the range.

"Fun! Fair! Fantastic!"

Jinxykat71's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/07/2017

This course was on my bucket list since moving to the Sandhills of NC. Even though we are in the middle of winter the course was in great shape. The layout is visually stunning. The pictures are excellent but seeing in person is Amazing. The landing areas are very generous and leave short irons into large very sloped and mounded greens. Almost Aced #6 with a front pin after the ball rolled back about 15 feet. The lift, clean and place no rake bunkers are a refreshing way to play golf. I could go on and on but I'll leave the rest for your own experience. Make the trip you won't regret it!

"A Must Play"

JeffReedMO's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/16/2017
First time playing Used cart Cold weather

This was easily the funnest round of golf I've ever played. This is a must play if you are in the area, just because it is so out of the ordinary. Everyone say's, you're either going to really love it, or you will really hate it. There is no in between. Well, I am one of the ones that loved it. I thought the greens rolled incredibly well and even though at times the landing area from the tee looks small, it's actually quite generous. You better have some confidence and more than a few shots in the bag, because this course will demand plenty of both. I found myself on many tee boxes just going, "Wow".

"Embrace the quirkiness"

BrandonWebb's avatar
Birmingham Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/16/2016
First time playing Used cart Cold weather

As I've stated in reviews of other Mike Strantz courses, he is a very polarizing course designer. And Tobacco Road is the most controversial of his efforts. I get why people don't like it. If you are not in command of your golf ball, this can make for a long day on this course. But I'm a fan of Strantz courses, particularly this one. I am accustomed to target golf from frequently playing the RTJ Golf Trail at home in Alabama, so this style doesn't bother me. If you like to think your way around the course and not blindly pull driver out of your bag on every par 4 or 5, then you can have fun here, but more importantly excel. Playing some of the holes, it dawned on me that this might be what it would be like to play golf on Mars. Some examples: the tee shot on the first, which requires you to fit it between two mounds that pinch the fairway; the ninth with its blowout green side bunker (see attached photo); the third shot to the par-5 13th (see attached photo), which may be the most imaginative green complex I've ever encountered. The green is built into what resembles a crater. It is a very disarming visual, really because you cannot see the flag from the fairway. There is a thin ridge that divides the green horizontally, so shots finding any part of the green will feed to the center of each respective half. Lost in all of the discussion of whether or not this is circus golf, is the strength of the course's collection of par 3s and par 5s. Be creative. The most direct route to the hole on approach may not be the best route. This course requires some imagination. With the complex green undulations, it also requires some resolve. Just know this going in: at some point in your round this course is going to make you look silly. Just embrace the next shot, the next hole. If you do that you can have fun. And you should. This is not the type of course a golfer from any part of the country will experience very often.

"Hard as heck but fun"

pigdoc's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/17/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Really challenging course that is in great shape. My primary criticism was that there was nothing on the score card or tee markers that showed the layout of the holes, and I literally had to guess on some tees where to hit it. But when I got home, I found that the agent who set up the round had included a course guide to each hole that I missed. This course is NOT for beginners, or those that hate to lose a golf ball. But when you hit a proper shot, and get a birdie, the feeling of accomplishment is so good. I'll go back.

"Awesome place!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2016

This course is well worth your time to play if your in the area, the layout is fantastic the course is in great shape and very well maintained. Staff is very friendly and helpful to help make the experience one to remember also look in the wooden bucket on the 16th tee box awesome surprise and just what you need after the first 15 holes! Will recommend this to all my golf buddies if there coming to the area.

"Butt Kicker"

ncandy1951's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/06/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Our first time to play TR. An extremely challenging course built in an old sand quarry with numerous forced carries, waste areas, elevation changes, undulating greens and blind shots. TR has a course layout app and an excellent yardage book but best to play with someone who has played the course several times. You had better hit your shots straight and know how far you hit each club. TR is probably one of the best courses I've ever played. You'll use every club in the bag and be mentally exhausted at the end. Great fun and I can hardly wait to play TR again.