Ripper 71 6532 yards 71.7 144
Plow 71 5886 yards 68.6 129
Plow (W) 71 5886 yards 74.7 140
Cultivator 71 4946 yards 69.8 126
Scorecard for Tobacco Road Golf Club
Ripper M: 72.5/145 558 392 152 535 333 148 411 178 427 3134 441 531 419 573 194 365 326 142 432 3423 6557
Disc M: 71.3/143 547 377 147 507 322 143 401 173 415 3032 421 511 412 536 178 358 321 134 414 3285 6317
Plow M: 69.4/132 W: 75.7/145 521 344 125 478 315 133 383 152 394 2845 398 486 380 497 152 351 281 127 369 3041 5886
Points M: 66.9/125 W: 71.7/136 478 301 112 466 309 107 353 142 364 2632 365 361 347 455 111 311 266 102 352 2670 5302
Cultivator M: 62.6/117 W: 67.0/118 315 280 91 368 297 107 248 132 269 2107 242 290 291 429 96 267 248 84 242 2189 4296

Year Built 1998
Architect Mike Strantz (1998)

Single Allowed No

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 14

As unique a golf experience as you get

Tobacco Road is as wild a golf experience as you get. From the time you drive up to the clubhouse, you know you aren't at your stuffy traditional country clubs. First things first. The course is indescribable. Everyone will tell you it is a wild rollercoaster of a golf course with tons of blind shots, massive bunkers, undulating greens, and thrilling shots. They are all correct, but it is so much more than that. If it is your first time, buy the yardage book or download the app that has the yardage book on it. Otherwise, you will spend most of the time not knowing exactly where to go. The course has highs and lows. You will have some extremely thrilling shots, but others seem tricked up. There likely won't be an in-between for you...you will hate it or love it. I happen to think it was interesting to play and enjoyed the non-traditional shot making focus. The staff was amazing. The starter was an actual ranger that knew exactly where everyone was on the course. I was playing behind a large group, so he was able to re-route me to give me a way to play without waiting. He also swung by every few holes to see if I had questions where to go or how to play a hole. Can't say enough for having someone that cares about the pace of play and enjoyment of every last person. The staff inside the clubhouse was great too. Spent time talking about the course with us and genuinely wanted feedback. There is a little pro shop and food area. You can get some good food and watch people finish up on 18 while you are on a rocking chair on the porch. Overall, it is a great experience playing Tobacco Road. This is a true buddies and match play course. Get everyone together and enjoy a unique golf experience.
Course Conditions Average
Value for the Money Average
Course Layout Average

One of the most unique courses I've ever seen.

This is a course every serious golfer should play at least once in his or her life. It is incredibly unique, as it is apparently built into an old sand quarry. It is an incredibly raw and challenging course with a large number of blind tee shots and terrifying waste areas. It's a course you should play several times to score well on. The staff was great and the course was in immaculate condition. Go give it a try!

All time favorite course

I played this 8 Year’s ago and remembered loving it so I went back next time I was in the area. I was wrong - I didn’t just love it but believe it to be my favorite course anywhere! The people are wonderful, the course is beautiful, in great shape and an absolute blast to play!
Course Layout Excellent

Don’t be cheap - get a caddie

This was a WONDERFUL golf experience. My daughter & I played there on our North Carolina Golf trip...we were NOT disappointed. I think the architect, Strantz, could have been one of the greats (RIP). I had heard from a buddy how challenging this course is, so we chose to hire (in advance) a caddie. It was a GREAT call. There are lots of challenging, blind shots that require local knowledge, plus walking this course gives you so much appreciation of the elevation changes. But if you hit it well, you WILL SCORE WELL! Give it your best shot...it’s worth the trip!
Off-course amenities Average
Course Layout Excellent

If this is your first time playing here don't get hung up on your score!

This is a course that is a true treat and your must play it more than once to even begin to figure it out. I played it twice 18 years ago and had a blast playing it again but I did not remember the variances of the layout which is to be learned. Great strategic layout as each hole offers different ways to play it depending on how brave you want to be! The only reason I did not rate it 5 stars is because of how it is not clear to the first time player exactly how to play many of the holes from the tee or even the fairway. That adds a difficulty to calling it a truly enjoyable round despite the fact walking off holes laughing because you got 'fooled' by Strantz is not exactly what happens every day.
Course Conditions Good
Virginia Advisor

An Unparalleled Golf Experience, If You Do It Right

If you’re playing Tobacco Road Golf Course for the first time, you’ve likely told some friends about it and you’ve probably had some strong opinions and/or advice thrown your way to try to prepare you for it. Being prepared for the course and knowing what to expect are crucial for enjoying your round and I HIGHLY recommend hiring a caddie to guide you through. My caddie, Will, was fantastic and he attributed more to my enjoyment of TRG than any other factor. The real key to enjoying this course as it was designed regardless of whether you’re playing alone or with help is to respect the course but not fear it. Holes like #1, #8, #16, and #18 from the tee look menacing if not impossible. But with a sound and smart tee shot, you’ll find the hidden fairways rather inviting and the sensation of landing on them quite rewarding. As for the course itself, well, it’s the 85th that I’ve played, and it’s #1 of all those, and it’s not close. I should caveat that statement by saying that I love Mike Strantz signature design features which many golfers aren’t huge fans of: the aforementioned hidden fairways (and greens), massive tiering on the greens, sand everywhere, and a general lack of lush greeness. What all golfers will appreciate are the generous landing areas, long grass that’s relatively easy to find and hit balls out of, and free practice swings in the waste areas. Rounds here can take a while (though you’re rarely waiting unless you’re playing exceptionally well) which gives you time to really appreciate the landscape, even if it’s never St-Patricks-Day-green. The rustic look and theme match the history of the land here and really add a level of charm even some more prestigious courses don’t have. Tee markers are designated with shapes instead of colors, sandy cart paths weave through the tuffs of fescue and waste areas, and there’s even what appears to be the remains of an old mine shaft you hit over on a par-3. The holes here are so picturesque and unique, you’ll have a hard time not taking photos on each one. When you’re spending over $100 just on green fees, you expect course conditions to be a level above and for the most part, Tobacco Road delivers. In fact, my only complaint is that for the amount of slope in the greens the speed of them was a bit extreme. My caddie said they generally run about 10-10.5 but that some were actually close to 12.5 during our round. Our threesome had several putts that rolled back to our feet and one or two that went off the green completely. That said, the hybrid Bermuda turf that’s new to this course makes putts roll so smoothly and true, you may not mind all the extra practice. Being able to see the grain direction across the green is another cool feature and with no unevenness in the putting turf you can see exactly where the green slopes (subtle breaks, unfortunately for me, are less obvious). While you are often reminded by the staff that there are no rakes for the bunkers and you can take practice swings in them, they are still groomed by the maintenance team and look spectacular. The fairways too look awesome with their short cut and dramatic undulations. The tee boxes, fairways and greens were devoid of any weeds, unfilled divots, unrepaired ball marks. The staff here is phenomenal and deserve a lot of credit for making my experience such a good one. The caddies are provided by a separate company but just having the option is what made me so excited to play. It was my first time having someone else carry my bag as I walked and I know it sounds cliche but I really did feel like a pro--I even had a couple shots that I walked in...how great a feeling is that? But it’s really the knowledge of where to aim on shots and putts that make getting a caddie worth it. As a bonus, you get someone that’s passionate about golf to talk to for 5 hours; that’s worth $20 in itself. The starter and pro shop staff are very welcoming and knowledgeable and help those without a caddie know what to expect out here. The off-course facilities are very, very good. TRG doesn’t have the grandeur of some other expensive clubs, I thought for a second I had driven up to a cottage with a putting green. But everything you need is here on sight (except for an ATM, so make sure to bring plenty of tip cash for your caddie). Two practice greens for putting, another for chips and pitches, and a full, grass driving range. Be sure to give yourself at least 30 minutes of practice time to get a feel for the greens and bunkers. The value proposition of Tobacco Road is relative as with most courses. This is the most I’ve ever paid for a round (by nearly twice) but the experience was better than any other by a margin equal to the cost premium so I would say it’s a solid value. I can’t afford this kind of venue more than once or twice a year. But as a bucket list course, as a once-in-a-lifetime round of golf, it’s a no-brainer. It’s a gimmie.

Tabacco Road

My wife's Mother and Brother & Sister in law live 2 blocks from Pinehurst No. 2 and I played that about a year and a half ago. We get down several times a year and just going through the list of good courses. A friend from Fort Wayne played Tobacco Road and told me to play it. It was breathtaking, difficult, especially the first time but one of the most amazing courses and unique courses I have ever played. The sand was everywhere, but the greatest accomplishment for me that day was playing with the same golf ball the entire round. I think my partners went through about 20 golf balls. You will either like this course or you will hate it. I will play it again down the road.
Staff Friendliness Good
Off-course amenities Average
Value for the Money Good
Denver Advisor

An American Original

Tobacco Road is a course that is polarizing; as with all works of originality, those who like the way that things have always been will not like it. If you are looking for something original and different, then you will love it. I was in the latter group. Plenty of contours in the greens so the best way to pin A might be to aim for spot B. Plenty of elevated green sites or downhill green sites so club selection becomes more difficult to gauge. Tee shots of plenty of risk/reward options. If the heroic carry is made, then you are rewarded with an easier approach. Easier or off target drives are met with hazards or a semi blind approach. Par 5s have multiple options with the player going for it in two needing to pull off a tremendous shot over hazards. One note is that all hazards are waste areas so take advantage of the local rule and use practice swings-you will learn much as hazards vary greatly. I can only recommend that you play this more than once. Every play reveals a different way to play the hole or something to avoid. Embrace the uniqueness and blind shots. In time, like your second round, you will know what to do. A course that could be interesting for a lifetime.
Course Layout Excellent

Tobacco Road breaks the mold for excellent golf

Tobacco Road has been on my list of courses I've most wanted to play for a long time, and after finally getting to experience this legendary Mike Strantz layout, I can honestly say I wasn't disappointed in the least. In fact, it exceeded my expectations. Without a doubt, this is one of the most imaginative golf courses I’ve ever played. Yes, there are a lot of blind shots, and intimidating ones at that, but much of that is an illusion. Strantz gives ample room to land your drives; in fact you could say the fairways are very generous, even if they don't look like it at all times. With native grass and sand (it's not a hazard) everywhere, you'd think there's nothing but trouble out there, but it's really opportunity. I played decently, but not great and didn't come close to losing a ball. The most fun part of this course, though, has to be the greens, which are angled in every imaginable way. You can use the slopes to your advantage, especially if you can work the ball a little, and it's a blast to do just that. On the 11th hole, for example, I had an approach to a green that was sloped hard left to right, so I played a draw into the hole to hold the green and funnel the ball back to the hole. Unfortunately, I missed the six-footer for birdie, because the greens aren't easy to read, With all that said, having played the course once now would make for a great advantage the second time around. I'm looking forward to that day.
Value for the Money Good
Course Layout Excellent

Probably the most unique course I've ever seen

Awesome experience! Each shot contained some form of visual intimidation. After a few holes, you understood that beyond the intimidation was a fairly forgiving area to receive the ball. Shoot out to Mike Bailey from Golf Advisor, who was added to our group. We enjoyed every minute! I'm hoping to get back to this course one day and enjoy playing it again, with the knowledge gained after having seen it for the very intimidating first time. Perhaps not the course for a beginner. Pete Dye and Six Flags all rolled into one really cool golfing experience.
Staff Friendliness Good