Hyland Golf Club

Golf Season year round
Architect Tom Jackson

Bar

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

Price higher than course valuee

Not enough course for the money and no real social distancing being encouraged. Other courses in area just as good condition, or better, and cost less.

Little gem

A very enjoyable course to be played. Just play it and enjoy it

Wonderful Course:

Today was a beautiful day in Southern Pines. Hyland is in the best condition that we have seen in a long time. Doug the GM and Pro along with his staff are doing a wonderful job. Extremely Friendly and Very Helpful. From being met in the parking lot with a golf cart to the starter working us in off the back so the pace of play would be better. The course was in excellent condition with the overseeded fairways and tees to the Excellent Champions Greens. What a wonderful day!! I will be back and Highly Recommend this Golf Course.

Hyland

Ownership is investing in all the right places! Over seeded, new tees, tree clearing, fantastic greens, bunkers with sand! I just didn’t find anything to complain about.

This place is great. It’s not overly expensive and the pace of play was awesome. Will be back very soon

Early time

Arrived 10 minutes before 7 had the first time. Cart guy was very friendly pro shop attendee was a little late not a big deal started round about 10 after 7 first few holes are nothing to write home about but the course gets better as you go. Greens are true and fairways are great paths a little bumpy. Some beautiful scenery and holes last hole is not a great finishing hole. Overall fun track

Hidden Gem

This was the first time I played the course and was pleasantly surprised with the overall condition (great shape ) and the difficulty of the greens. The winter overseed is coming in nicely and the greens with their gentle rolling terrain were fun and challenging. A few soft/moist spots in the fairways that were , probably from the watering of the winter seed. A must play for for the Sandhills.

Great track

Perfect blend of a course using the natural contours of the land. Course is veteran owned and playing it on Veterans Day was special. Course was in great shape.

One of a Kind in the Pinehurst Area

Play now before it is no longer a public course. The beautiful course is easily accessible off of Highway number 1 and has so many exclusive qualities you must play to believe.

New Management/New Staff

Doug Thompson, a long time PGA Pro, and prior GM at Hyland has returned as General Manager once more. Changes are happening fast and furious as things are cleaned up at. Course conditions are improving. The restaurant, the Tap In Grill Room, is now under the careful management of Doug Garner. There is new staff in the pro shop and the restaurant. We welcome you back.

Over priced

Although overall course conditions were average for this time of year, greens were very good, being hard and fast. But at $55, it's somewhat overpriced. I won't go back at these rates.

Very nice course, excellent condition and friendly staff...

I've played here 4-5 times since the first of this year and the condition has been very, very good each time. The greens are in excellent condition and very tricky; if you put your ball in the wrong spot you'll pay.
All bunkers are raked and have an adequate amount of sand. Tee boxes and fairways only stressed a little due to heat but I give them a pass for this time of year.
Staff, especially Bridgette, are always very friendly and helpful.
I can't make an opinion on the driving range as I haven't used it yet but it looks like it's ok for loosening up; nice practice green.
Overall one of my favorites in the area.

Over Booked , no refund! bad attitude of owner

Once a year I travel to the Pinehurst area to play golf . I have played Hyland Golf Club many times and like the course. However this trip the owner who booked our tee time over the phone failed to tell us that she had back to back corporate tournaments booked before the tee time we requested. It was only once we showed up to check in did she mention the tournaments . The owner (Bridgette) told us the pace for a twosome was slow because of the tournaments out on the course . We decided that slow was ok enough to play and we were instructed that the number 1 tee box was open and we could tee off. Once reaching the first tee box the last group of tournament players were still teeing off with no starter in sight. We waited for the hole to open up and then teed off . By the third tee box there was a group on the tee , the group waiting to go on then our twosome , and the group of three behind us . Looking over the fairways we could see from our vantage point, there was no movement of any groups of golfers . The marshall told us the course was at a stand still . We watched the group on the tee box and saw a player hit her tee shot three times before she gave up and gave way to the next player. The marshal advised us to return to the clubhouse and get a refund.

Once back to the clubhouse the owner would not give a refund explaining she does not do that and would only give a raincheck if it was raining . The threesome behind us also returned to the clubhouse and wanted a refund . I could see the owner getting upset when I asked her what the tee time intervals are. She exclaimed that no one tells her to adjust her tee time intervals , even though I never mentioned anything about adjust her intervals. After further discussions the owner finally offered us a raincheck .

My opinion : The owner's responsibility was to tell us when we called for a tee time that she had two corporate tournaments that morning prior to us accepting a tee time.
When she said it was "slow" she didn't say the course was stopped and a 15+ minute wait on each tee box is expected . If you do schedule a corporate tournament on a weekend then wait at least 45 minutes after the last corporate group tees off before you book other customers a tee time
I also suggest corporate tournaments not be booked on a Saturday. The should also be of a best ball ,shot gun start with instructions to the players to pick up after a double boogie
The owners attitude sucks and puts the all mighty buck before the satisfaction of the patrons . I will not use my rain check and doubt if I will ever play Highland again.

Bridgette needs to hire a friendly manager that knows how to run a golf club There are too many other golf clubs in the region that offer a similar price points that actually care how the customers feels

Commented on 07/10/2019

EXACT same thing happened to us in June of 2019. I guess some things never change....

Golfers Beware!!

The course is not that bad, but the service is absolutely horrible. If you want to get treated poorly and play on a course that is not well taken care of then this is the course for you. The staff are ok but the owners are not nice at all. They treat you poorly and could care less about you. They just want your money!!

Rude Staff Bad Course

The lady in the pro shop was extremely rude to my entire group. The sad thing thing is that I think she's an owner/co-owner. We were yelled at for stopping by the pro shop to buy a drink between the front and back nine on a 90 degree July afternoon. The course was dead. No one in front of or behind us all day. She would not stop arguing with us. It was ridiculous.

I've played the course many times. Tee boxes and fairways were in bad shape (as usual). Cart paths are washed out and rough. Trust a local -- there are better places to play in the area for same/lower rates. These people gave up a long time ago. I'll never go back.

Okay Course

Hyland is an okay course. The day we played it was cart path only but it didn't really need to be. Some areas on some of the greens need work. Cart path is very rough.

Bridgette in the Pro Shop is so friendly and accommodating!

What a waste

What a waste of what was a great track. The fairways and tee boxes lord help no grass. Just last year was in great shape. Now it is not worth 25.00. the only thing that is great is the greens. They have them perfect, but you are coming in to them from dirt in the fairways. So many more better choices in the area for the price. Avoid this one till some improvements are made.

Liked it!

Layout was nice. Greens were in impeccable condition. The staff was really nice and welcoming, especially Bridget at check-in. Would recommend and would play again.

3.1194058824