Charleston National Country Club

Practice bunker: Yes
Practice hole: No
Simulator: No

Singles allowed: No
Dress code: Appropriate golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Discover, American Express Welcomed

Marshland and natural lagoons make Charleston National a real gem to play. Architect Rees Jones and Greg Muirhead strategically placed wooden bridges over the natural areas which sometimes range from tee to green. Once tree laden, it's now a little more open, which may be to your advantage. A trip to Charleston National should be considered by any serious golfer visiting the Charleston area.

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views a weekend splurge   Challenges include water hazards forced carries bunkers   Great for drinks

"Could be good"

JoeBDA's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2017
Previously played Used cart

The course is in rough shape at the moment. Our cart was on it's death bed.

I want to like it here, but I cannot come back until the conditions improve. She could be a gem.

"No walking? ITS GOLF!"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/13/2017

It's obvious that the staff is just trying to pump as many people through the first tee as possible. No walking policy is unbelievable. I even offered to pay their high cart fee. On top of it the staff was rude to our party for even asking the question. Will not come back ever. Do not recommend.

"Meh"

CookDaddy's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/16/2016
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Honestly this course was pretty brutal. Lost balls just off the fairway (why are the roughs cut sooo long?). We started 15 minutes behind our scheduled Tee time. Nothing special about the clubhouse. Sorry but I don't know that I'd recommend this course amongst all of the beautiful golf in South Carolina!

"Great course, disorganized staff"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I made a three-day golf trip to the Charleston area recently and I have to say Charleston National stole my heart. Every now and then you find a course that captures your imagination and makes you want to go back. This one fits the bill.

The way the layout stretches through the marshes, the forced carries over creeks, the setup of the greens, and the spectacular views made for an enjoyable round.

The day started and ended however, with some of the worst customer service I've ever experienced at a golf course. I'm not sure how you book someone for a 6:40 a.m. tee time and not show up to open the pro shop until 6:45. I ended up pairing up with another guy who had a tee time at 6:48, and we made it to the first tee just before 7:00. We waited for the greens to be mowed on the first three holes, and sprinted ahead on #4 to leave the mower behind us. Despite playing at breakneck speed we enjoyed those next few holes. I'd rather play fast than slow.

While many of the holes skirted residential areas, I never felt the homes were encroaching on the course. I counted just a couple of vanilla holes, but those were compensated for by awesome views on the holes that meander through the marshes on Copahee Sound. My only real complaint about the layout is having to end on a par 3, hundreds of yards from the clubhouse. It just seems a bit anti-climactic. Maybe that's nit-picking. After all, they didn't have much dry land to work with in the marsh, so kudos to the designer.

The poor customer service to start the day was becoming a distant memory until the 17th hole, when a ranger approached us on the tee box and told us they had a standing members tournament every Sunday morning at 10:00 and we had 8 minutes to finish our round. Not the way I wanted to end things.

I'm going to give the staff the benefit of the doubt and just assume they were having a bad day. It happens to all of us. We did air our grievance to the pro shop and were given discount vouchers for a future round (which expire July 31 so basically useless for a tourist like me ).

Regardless, I will be back. It's a good course. Not a swanky club or resort, but a solid track that keeps you engaged and on your toes. I would recommend it for anyone visiting Charleston. Just don't play before 10:00 on a Sunday morning.

"Personal Favorite"

EL79CANYSC's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/27/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes

Been in CHS now 2 years, coming from San Diego and NYC. Over the years, have played MANY hundreds of courses in and out of states. Charleston National is a fun course, moderately challenging (which adds to the fun factor) with relatively easily gettable Par 5s and fun Par 4s. Par 3s are good too.

One of my favorite golf courses for the fun factor and course design.

Some may call this course gimmicky and I thought so too the first time I played it, but over time, I've 'explored' different ways to play the same hole, hence not gimmicky.

Today was no different than previous times - fun and bit of wind added to the challenge. I won't dwell much on the condition of the course as it's that time of the year and all courses are suffering from the rain/drainage/colder temps - some more than others but Charleston National fairs better than others.

"Charleston National"

hengstwengst's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/22/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

Excellent course with all the amenities that you would expect of a championship course. Large practice facility and decent pro shop. Staff was very friendly from the moment I parked my car. I was barely out of the vehicle and there was a cart by my trunk with an attendant waiting to load my bag.

Course has a challenging layout with many forced carries over marshes. Much like other Rees Jones courses, his use of the natural layout of the land really shines. The greens and fairways were in great condition. I would call this a must play course in the Charleston area.

"Pretty good layout"

birdieman601's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

First time player here. Layout was very enjoyable with 1 hole a little tricky due to layup off of tee on par 4. Greens were all bermuda and were extremely difficult to putt if you did not read grain. A couple of local golfers did not know how to read grain, so their round was a little more challanging. Fairways were in good shape. Bunkers were properly raked. I believe it was a little overpriced. Probably would go back if price were reduced a little more.

"BBV 2015"

francoali's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/14/2015

We had a family outing and everyone had fun. There were a few not so nice members who thought they should be allowed to play ahead of us. Staff did not allow this. The pro shop staff was very inflexible with some changes requested.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"Nice course"

BruceBradley's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/08/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Played from the senior tees. Several forced carries, lots of mounding. The course was in great shape.

The down side was the $20+ fees and taxes needed to book the Hot Deal. The $38 special rate when you add in the taxes and fees made the hot deal not so hot.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Good value in Charleston"

MrToohey's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2015

This course was cheaper than Patriots Point. Very tough course, $65 for non residents. Lots of houses, marsh, and hazards. Make sure your sand game is good. Had nice clubhouse and great selection of beers. Friendly folks working there, I would recommend it if you are around isle of Palms

"Great course"

Claudio8745634's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/29/2015

Real nice course that was in great condition. Some very challenging holes that make you really think about the next shot. Very nice practice facility and pro shop. Definitely one of the must visit courses for golfers coming to the charleston area.

"Worth the drive"

2dawgsat430's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/19/2015

We elected to make the 40 mile trip from Kiawah Island to Charleston National as we had played this course 2 years ago while attending another wedding in Charleston<br/> Great course and the only reason I gave less thank four stars for the course conditions is the greens were recently aerated and still bumpy.<br/> Terrific value for the price<br/> Food ok, facilities are dated but in good condition with some staff very friendly and others below average<br/> Would go back and definitely recommend.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Tough course, quick pace"

Thomas9407388's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/14/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

My brother and I played Charleston National on a Saturday Morning at 8:40am. It was not crowded and we were not paired up with anyone else, so the pace was quite fast. We finished the course in 3:45. Tough course and was is great condition but unfortunately, they were airating the greens. So putting was a little tough. I'd there again using the GolfNow discount of $45 like I did this time

"Great course"

Ken7351300's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2015

I liked this course a lot! It was challenging but it was very fair. The fairways and greens were in great shape! There is plenty of water and swamps all around. I look forward to my return to this course.

"Local Knowledge"

fargher258's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

This course could have been a lot more fun, if someone would have provided us some Local Knowledge about playing the course before we started. Several of the holes on this course were blind from the tees and one could not determine where to send the tee ball, and/or how long to hit the tee ball. Flags did not have reflectors, so the range finders did not work. There we several holes where there was no landing location for shorter hitters. The greens were extremely slow but this was most likely due to the sever slopes of the greens.

"1st Rees Jones Design/Cool Layout"

Callix5534292's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/06/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Showed up late for my tee time so had zero warmup swings but probably was a good thing. Had no time to think about my swing only about placement of tee shots. This course was very much a position golf course. Hit the wrong club off the tee and get out of position "good luck"! If you don't like having to carry marsh areas then please stay away. There was lots of that but this added to the beauty of the golf course. The back 9 was a beast from the Championship tees. Lots of tight tee shots into the wind! The greens were outstanding and not flat so bring your good putter:) Shot my lowest round here on the trip so I will be back in the future. Will play again in the future when I return.

"George G"

ggatesiii's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2015
Previously played Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Now remember why I liked playing this course after not playing it for several years.

"Must play if in Mt Pleasant area"

roadie622's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/08/2015

Course was in good condition considering the time of year. Greens were in very good condition although I don't remember having a flat putt all day. Beautiful views with many holes having marsh views. Only issue was the range is not near the clubhouse.

"aewsome views"

qbfarr's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/09/2015

fun course to play, greens in nice conditions for this time of year

"Excellent condition, challenging"

Joseph9479547's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/07/2015

Pace of play was pretty slow. Some sharp dog legs made it a little tough being unfamiliar with the course

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent