Type Private

Year Built 1992
Architect Tom Fazio (1984) Tom Fazio (1992)

Best Greens in the Lowcountry

I have played most courses on coastal SC and Callawassie Island has the best greens in the Lowcountry. The course is in immaculate condition and the layout is challenging but fair. The entire staff was very friendly and accommodating. They offer 6 different tees including junior tees. To top everything off you are in a certified wildlife community so you have nature/beauty that surrounds you. This is a golf course that you could play day after day and never get bored.

Most Beautiful Course in the Lowcountry

I was so blown away with the beauty of this course. Tom Fazio designed a nature-centric course that is challenging yet playable. I have to say this is the most beautiful course I have played so far. What a treat!

Great course and condition

Callawassie Island is an absolutely wonderful place to play. It has three challenging nines that bring the low country experience into virtually every hole. The course conditions were outstanding with the best part being the greens. They are miniverdi and possibly the best greens in the low country, definitely the best Bermuda greens I have ever played. If you are given an opportunity to play at Callawassie Island, you would be wise to take advantage of it.

Callawasie Island - Take A Pass

I played Callawassie Island with a group of 7 others. We played May River (great course) two days prior. When we arrived at 7:15am for our 8:15am tee time, they didn't even have the range open yet. We waited around 40 minutes for them just to get some range balls for us to hit. While waiting we decided to go to clubhouse and have a quick breakfast only to find out it didn't open until 11:00. On the course, the greens were fantastic but the rest of the course was just average. There were no beverage carts during our play and since the clubhouse didn't open until 11:00, there wasn't anywhere to grab something to drink even at the turn. When we finished our round we went to clubhouse to grab a quick lunch. I asked the waitress what was the quickest sandwich I could get as I had to leave and catch a flight. She said a club sandwich would be the quickest and they would have it ready in 10 minutes. After waiting 30 minutes for the sandwich I had to leave to catch my flight. Definitely not worth the time and won't be going back.

Commented on 02/25/2015

Your comments on Callawassie Island are unfair since they focus on whether or not it has a cart girl or whether the restaurant is open at 7:15 for breakfast. Callawassie is a private community and you were fortunate to having been able to play there. The need for a restaurant at a private course is determined by the membership and not by the needs of rare outside play. Callawassie has the best greens in the Hilton Head area and possibly in all of South Carolina. The remainder of the course is not "average", but outstanding.

Spring Island, South Carolina

Valid dates: Nov 15, 2019 - May 31, 2020
Conveniently located 20 minutes from the airport, the new We-Ko-Pa Resort & Conference Center features 246 contemporary guestrooms and suites designed with Native American traditions, bold Southwestern cuisine at Ahnala Restaurant, luxurious spa treatments and salon services at the Amethyst Spa and a spacious heated outdoor pool with two whirlpools.
From $1900