The Rock Golf Club & Resort

The Rock Golf Club & Resort
Scorecard for Rock
Black M: 70.7/124 385 407 503 330 215 552 367 175 394 3328 420 165 538 405 150 415 395 406 488 3382 6710
White M: 69.9/118 341 350 470 312 188 524 320 140 325 2970 390 138 498 347 140 382 349 350 447 3041 6011
Gold M: 65.6/109 300 330 400 292 160 470 275 115 296 2638 350 114 470 332 130 335 300 300 430 2761 5399
Red W: 68.0/112 251 239 384 264 141 360 221 97 260 2217 251 99 420 276 108 328 253 295 320 2350 4567

Year Built 1979

Walking Allowed Yes, members only before 1 PM on weekends/holidays.

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2017 #3)

Hidden course with enjoyable layout!

I had no idea this course existed until I found it online. Everything was well manicured and it looked like they had a lot of machines out around the course fixing and improving on items. Will definitely be back for more rounds in the future!

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 09/20/2018:
Hello Lowden123, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course and had a great golf experience. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon!

Beautiful scenery

Really enjoyed playing here.It was my first time here,so wasn't sure what to expect.A few of the holes had issues with standing water but other than that it was really enjoyable. The staff was really friendly&the food at the clubhouse was great.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 09/06/2018:
Hello Frichard335, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course and our facilities. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon!

Goat Track

This place was the granddaddy of all goat tracks. It was so bad that it was worth my time to make an account and write this review. The staff is really friendly and the clubhouse is nice and renovated. Other than the views, thats about all they have going for them. Even at $32 it was about $10 over priced. There is no practice green and the driving range is a net...nice! If you want to practice your short game before you go, practice on your driveway because its probably softer than the greens. There were 2 temporary greens. The fairways on the front weren’t terrible but the back had no fairways. Hopefully youll be able to reach the green from the tee because if you hit it in the “fairway” you may not find your ball. There were several greens that recently undergone some very poor sod jobs. To top it all off, I ordered a burger and fries from the clubhoue and received no more than about 15 french fries, but they were good at least. Needless to say the course should be currently closed down while they attempt to make this track playable. So unless you just want to venture up toward that neck of the woods to see how bad it is for entertainment purposes, just stay away. You can thank me later.

sdmdhw2018
Commented On 07/15/2018

Well, well, well...I just had to get an account to respond to your comments. If your age is correct (under 25) you have never seen "the granddaddy of all goat tracks". So, why didn't you play The Cliffs, or travel to Pinehurst? Was this the first time you have played The Rock? Did you see the condition of this course before the improvements?

My husband and son are in the low single digit handicap and they both enjoy The Rock. This is a fun and most times challenging course...I have played many courses in Pinehurst . I have seen the changes of The Rock for the past 10 years....have you? In your review you did not compare other courses from your expertise. Your comment regarding the fairways on the back nine...the back nine is lower to flood plain which means they may have been wet.12, 13 and 14 fairways can remain wet longer because of rain and can not be mowed. Use a pink or yellow ball and just enjoy a game of golf for $32 or go to Pinehurst and pay $300 to play #2 and not see a single creek or waterfall or range of elevation. If you do not enjoy "that neck of the woods", again travel elsewhere. There are many of us that enjoy a change of scenery when it comes to golf. I do agree with you regarding the net as I do miss hitting balls before playing. I so wish they would remove the net. For those of you reading this, please do not take errolly6's review seriously...you will thank me later.

Mike Collins

I played this course years ago and liked it and then it went downhill fast. I am so glad it is coming back. Its a great layout and other that a few greens it was great and they are working on those. We got caught up in a rain storm and had to quit so I cant wait to get back and get all 18 in. Great job to everyone there and keep up the good work. The young lady in the restaurant was great and the food was excellent

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 06/15/2018:
Hello RoadKing04, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and we appreciate the great feedback on our renovations and restaurant. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon!
Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 06/06/2018:
Hello Jarrodgue, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and had a great a golf experience. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon!

A gem in the SC Upstate

This course is under new ownership and management and what a pleasure it is to play here now. Everything is much improved. The 8th hole par 3 with the waterfall is a challenge with an incredible view. The pulled pork sandwich at the turn from the club house restaurant was delicious.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/30/2018:
Hello, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you had an excellent experience at The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we appreciate the great feedback on our food. Thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you again soon!

Nice people and place, poor condition

The staff is incredibly friendly and the newly renovated dining area is great. The layout is fun but the fairways are poor. The tee boxes weren’t all kept and the greens were hard as rocks

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/31/2018:
Hello Cole4303162, thank you for the taking the time to write a review of our course. We are glad you found our staff friendly and enjoyed our renovated restaurant. We also appreciate your feedback and rating on our course conditions. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to earn your business again.

Much better, but still a ways to go

Had a great time back at Bear Valley after a few years. Met one of the new owners and could see they are putting money and investment back into the course. There are a few greens that are still dormant, but many are in great shape. Some of the fairways are still coming in, but overall the course is in the best shape I have seen it in over 15 years of playing it. The new ownership has a great vision for getting that course in great shape, and the staff is very friendly. I thought I would never go back there, but after today I will be back for sure. Keep up the good work!

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 06/01/2018:
Hello keoweekey, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our improvements and found our staff friendly. Thank you for the kind words and we hope to see you again at The Rock Golf Club & Resort again soon!

Best its been in 10 years

Best its been here in 10 years or so. they need rain but course was in very good condition. Staff was very pleasant. I recommend to anyone.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/11/2018:
Hello, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course conditions and found our staff friendly. Thank you for the excellent feedback and we hope to see you at The Rock Golf Club & Resort again soon!

The Rock can be WAY better.

The last time I played the rock was about 12 years ago. Back then, the course was Beautiful and in great shape, there was an actual driving range, the greens were awesome and well kept. Now, is another story. Although the scenery is really great, the staff is wonderful, and the creek winding through the entire course is something that I love...the fairways, tee boxes, and greens need some serious improvement. I hope that it can return to its glory days of natural grandeur as a true golfing destination.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/11/2018:
Hello, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our course. We are glad you enjoyed our scenery and found our staff friendly. We also appreciate your feedback on the course conditions. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to earn your business again.

Valid dates: Sep 17, 2018 - Oct 31, 2018