The Rock Golf Club & Resort

The Rock Golf Club & Resort
Scorecard for Rock
Black M: 70.7/124 385 407 503 330 215 552 367 175 394 3328 420 165 538 405 150 415 395 406 488 3382 6710
White M: 69.9/118 341 350 470 312 188 524 320 140 325 2970 390 138 498 347 140 382 349 350 447 3041 6011
Gold M: 65.6/109 300 330 400 292 160 470 275 115 296 2638 350 114 470 332 130 335 300 300 430 2761 5399
Red W: 68.0/112 251 239 384 264 141 360 221 97 260 2217 251 99 420 276 108 328 253 295 320 2350 4567

Year Built 1979

Walking Allowed Yes, members only before 1 PM on weekends/holidays.

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2017 #3)

Hidden course with enjoyable layout!

I had no idea this course existed until I found it online. Everything was well manicured and it looked like they had a lot of machines out around the course fixing and improving on items. Will definitely be back for more rounds in the future!

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 09/20/2018:
Hello Lowden123, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course and had a great golf experience. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon!

Great Condition since re-done greens

They have ready done some great work repairing greens and fairways. place looks great and plays well. keep up the good work.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 09/28/2018:
Hello, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our improvements and had an excellent experience. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon!

Beautiful scenery

Really enjoyed playing here.It was my first time here,so wasn't sure what to expect.A few of the holes had issues with standing water but other than that it was really enjoyable. The staff was really friendly&the food at the clubhouse was great.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 09/06/2018:
Hello Frichard335, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course and our facilities. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon!

Goat Track

This place was the granddaddy of all goat tracks. It was so bad that it was worth my time to make an account and write this review. The staff is really friendly and the clubhouse is nice and renovated. Other than the views, thats about all they have going for them. Even at $32 it was about $10 over priced. There is no practice green and the driving range is a net...nice! If you want to practice your short game before you go, practice on your driveway because its probably softer than the greens. There were 2 temporary greens. The fairways on the front weren’t terrible but the back had no fairways. Hopefully youll be able to reach the green from the tee because if you hit it in the “fairway” you may not find your ball. There were several greens that recently undergone some very poor sod jobs. To top it all off, I ordered a burger and fries from the clubhoue and received no more than about 15 french fries, but they were good at least. Needless to say the course should be currently closed down while they attempt to make this track playable. So unless you just want to venture up toward that neck of the woods to see how bad it is for entertainment purposes, just stay away. You can thank me later.

sdmdhw2018
Commented On 07/15/2018

Well, well, well...I just had to get an account to respond to your comments. If your age is correct (under 25) you have never seen "the granddaddy of all goat tracks". So, why didn't you play The Cliffs, or travel to Pinehurst? Was this the first time you have played The Rock? Did you see the condition of this course before the improvements?

My husband and son are in the low single digit handicap and they both enjoy The Rock. This is a fun and most times challenging course...I have played many courses in Pinehurst . I have seen the changes of The Rock for the past 10 years....have you? In your review you did not compare other courses from your expertise. Your comment regarding the fairways on the back nine...the back nine is lower to flood plain which means they may have been wet.12, 13 and 14 fairways can remain wet longer because of rain and can not be mowed. Use a pink or yellow ball and just enjoy a game of golf for $32 or go to Pinehurst and pay $300 to play #2 and not see a single creek or waterfall or range of elevation. If you do not enjoy "that neck of the woods", again travel elsewhere. There are many of us that enjoy a change of scenery when it comes to golf. I do agree with you regarding the net as I do miss hitting balls before playing. I so wish they would remove the net. For those of you reading this, please do not take errolly6's review seriously...you will thank me later.

Mike Collins

I played this course years ago and liked it and then it went downhill fast. I am so glad it is coming back. Its a great layout and other that a few greens it was great and they are working on those. We got caught up in a rain storm and had to quit so I cant wait to get back and get all 18 in. Great job to everyone there and keep up the good work. The young lady in the restaurant was great and the food was excellent

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 06/15/2018:
Hello RoadKing04, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and we appreciate the great feedback on our renovations and restaurant. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon!
Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 06/06/2018:
Hello Jarrodgue, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and had a great a golf experience. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon!

A gem in the SC Upstate

This course is under new ownership and management and what a pleasure it is to play here now. Everything is much improved. The 8th hole par 3 with the waterfall is a challenge with an incredible view. The pulled pork sandwich at the turn from the club house restaurant was delicious.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/30/2018:
Hello, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you had an excellent experience at The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we appreciate the great feedback on our food. Thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you again soon!

Nice people and place, poor condition

The staff is incredibly friendly and the newly renovated dining area is great. The layout is fun but the fairways are poor. The tee boxes weren’t all kept and the greens were hard as rocks

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/31/2018:
Hello Cole4303162, thank you for the taking the time to write a review of our course. We are glad you found our staff friendly and enjoyed our renovated restaurant. We also appreciate your feedback and rating on our course conditions. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to earn your business again.

Much better, but still a ways to go

Had a great time back at Bear Valley after a few years. Met one of the new owners and could see they are putting money and investment back into the course. There are a few greens that are still dormant, but many are in great shape. Some of the fairways are still coming in, but overall the course is in the best shape I have seen it in over 15 years of playing it. The new ownership has a great vision for getting that course in great shape, and the staff is very friendly. I thought I would never go back there, but after today I will be back for sure. Keep up the good work!

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 06/01/2018:
Hello keoweekey, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our improvements and found our staff friendly. Thank you for the kind words and we hope to see you again at The Rock Golf Club & Resort again soon!

Best its been in 10 years

Best its been here in 10 years or so. they need rain but course was in very good condition. Staff was very pleasant. I recommend to anyone.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/11/2018:
Hello, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course conditions and found our staff friendly. Thank you for the excellent feedback and we hope to see you at The Rock Golf Club & Resort again soon!

The Rock can be WAY better.

The last time I played the rock was about 12 years ago. Back then, the course was Beautiful and in great shape, there was an actual driving range, the greens were awesome and well kept. Now, is another story. Although the scenery is really great, the staff is wonderful, and the creek winding through the entire course is something that I love...the fairways, tee boxes, and greens need some serious improvement. I hope that it can return to its glory days of natural grandeur as a true golfing destination.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/11/2018:
Hello, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our course. We are glad you enjoyed our scenery and found our staff friendly. We also appreciate your feedback on the course conditions. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to earn your business again.

Spectacular Views

Excellent course !! Great staff . Only reason i did not rate condition higher is still lots of Flat pan with Grass slow to fill in and Grass not Covering fairways . BUT , that is coming soon with this good weather. great experience

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/01/2018:
Hello refgerald1978, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course, views, and friendly staff. We also appreciate your feedback on the course conditions. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon!

Great greens

I have been playing this course for a number of years and I've never seen it in such a good shape especially the greens fast and true.....keep up the great work!

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/02/2018:
Hello amcconnell42, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you enjoyed the conditions of our greens and we appreciate the great feedback. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort in Pickens and we hope to see you again soon!

My experience at the Rock

This was a wonderful course. The holes we a little challenging, but nicely designed. The views over all of the course was amazing!

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 04/25/2018:
Hello Myangel81312, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and views. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort in Pickens and we hope to see you again soon!

Poor fairways

This is the first time I’ve played at The Rock and I had high hopes since it was recently renovated. The fairways were in horrible shape, the greens were average and you couldn’t tell where the fairways ended and the rough began. This course has the potential to be very nice if they would hire a grounds crew that knew what they were doing. I will say that the views on this course were very nice.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 04/20/2018:
Hello Russell6018268, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our course. We are glad you enjoyed our views and we appreciate your feedback on our fairways. We escalated your feedback to the appropriate departments. Our fairways are still dormant and we expect them to green up in the coming weeks. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to earn your business again.

Somewhat challenging layout

New owners are getting this course back in shape. Need steady temps in the 80s plus some rain to fill in the fairways... just like many courses in the upstate. No doubt this course will be in great shape very soon. Some holes will test your game. Championship speed on the greens but not difficult if you lineup your putt correctly and stroke it square & true. Will definitely play again & again.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/04/2018:
Hello rcbrown1, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course and conditions of our greens. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort in Pickens and we hope to see you again soon!

Mixed bag

Drove about 45 minutes to play. GPS directions from GolfNow were a bit off so double check before missing the course!

Pace of play was slow but it was a beautiful day so you expect it somewhat.

Greens were in great shape and rolled true. Best part of the actual course.

Fairways were non-existent. Terrible, I was glad to be in the rough so I didn’t have to hit off the hard pan. Most people use their foot wedge to get into the fairway, several times it was opposite! Hoping in a month there will be actual grass there. I will play again before writing the course off. If the summer season hits and there’s no grass, there are many other options available.

Staff was 5 star all the way. Cheeseburger from the grill was PERFECT and they let me refill my drink for the road.

Honestly, if there was ANY grass on the fairways it’d be 4 stars, nice fairways and it would merit 5 stars. The scenery is beautiful with a creek running through the course. Beautiful waterfall on 8 is definitely picture worthy. But the fairways!!!!

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 04/18/2018:
Hello RevSteve, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our course. We are glad you enjoyed the conditions of our greens, scenery, and staff friendliness. We also appreciate your feedback on the pace of play and conditions of the fairways. Our fairways are still dormant and we are confident that they will green up in the coming weeks. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon.

Disappointed

Course was in rough shape. Not sure if it was due to the amount of rain the area has had or what but fairways had a lot of hardpan... rough was almost all hardpan...greens were like rock except for maybe 3 of them....pace of play was extremely slow due to a foursome of women not letting anyone play through on the front 9...back 9 was a bit better but not by much. Played the course a few years ago and it was in better shape. New owners have their work cut out for them to get this track in better shape. Course layout is pretty nice and you have to bag the driver on a bunch of holes as it is a ball position course with plenty of tight holes and doglegs.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 04/11/2018:
Hello buckeyeman19, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our course. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and we appreciate your feedback on the course conditions and the pace of play. We escalated your feedback to the appropriate departments. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to earn your business again.
Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 04/13/2018:
Hello, thank you for the four-star rating. We are glad you had a great golf experience at The Rock Golf Club & Resort in Pickens. We also appreciate your rating on the course conditions. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon!

Worth the drive!!!

The new owners are putting some money back into the course. Greens are in great shape just waiting for the grass to green up. The only small thing they need is sand on the carts and sand at the tees. Lunch was amazing.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 04/03/2018:
Hello gegas, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course, the conditions of our greens, and our lunch. We also appreciate your feedback on the sand on the carts and tees. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort in Pickens and we hope to see you again soon!

Valid dates: Oct 19, 2018 - Dec 20, 2018