The Rock Golf Club & Resort

• (864) 878-2030
  • www.therockgolfclub.com

Year built: 1979
Type: Resort

Walking allowed: Yes, members only before 1 PM on weekends/holidays.

Location is worth the drive   Great for wildlife/ scenic views locals seniors   Challenges include water hazards elevation changes narrow fairways   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views watching the game

"Much better, but still a ways to go"

keoweekey's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Had a great time back at Bear Valley after a few years. Met one of the new owners and could see they are putting money and investment back into the course. There are a few greens that are still dormant, but many are in great shape. Some of the fairways are still coming in, but overall the course is in the best shape I have seen it in over 15 years of playing it. The new ownership has a great vision for getting that course in great shape, and the staff is very friendly. I thought I would never go back there, but after today I will be back for sure. Keep up the good work!

"Best its been in 10 years"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2018

Best its been here in 10 years or so. they need rain but course was in very good condition. Staff was very pleasant. I recommend to anyone.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/11/2018:

Hello, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course conditions and found our staff friendly. Thank you for the excellent feedback and we hope to see you at The Rock Golf Club & Resort again soon!

"The Rock can be WAY better."

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2018

The last time I played the rock was about 12 years ago. Back then, the course was Beautiful and in great shape, there was an actual driving range, the greens were awesome and well kept. Now, is another story. Although the scenery is really great, the staff is wonderful, and the creek winding through the entire course is something that I love...the fairways, tee boxes, and greens need some serious improvement. I hope that it can return to its glory days of natural grandeur as a true golfing destination.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/11/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our course. We are glad you enjoyed our scenery and found our staff friendly. We also appreciate your feedback on the course conditions. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to earn your business again.

"Spectacular Views"

refgerald1978's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2018

Excellent course !! Great staff . Only reason i did not rate condition higher is still lots of Flat pan with Grass slow to fill in and Grass not Covering fairways . BUT , that is coming soon with this good weather. great experience

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/01/2018:

Hello refgerald1978, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course, views, and friendly staff. We also appreciate your feedback on the course conditions. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon!

"Great greens"

amcconnell42's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2018

I have been playing this course for a number of years and I've never seen it in such a good shape especially the greens fast and true.....keep up the great work!

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/02/2018:

Hello amcconnell42, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you enjoyed the conditions of our greens and we appreciate the great feedback. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort in Pickens and we hope to see you again soon!

"My experience at the Rock"

Myangel81312's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2018

This was a wonderful course. The holes we a little challenging, but nicely designed. The views over all of the course was amazing!

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 04/25/2018:

Hello Myangel81312, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and views. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort in Pickens and we hope to see you again soon!

"Poor fairways"

Russell6018268's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2018

This is the first time I’ve played at The Rock and I had high hopes since it was recently renovated. The fairways were in horrible shape, the greens were average and you couldn’t tell where the fairways ended and the rough began. This course has the potential to be very nice if they would hire a grounds crew that knew what they were doing. I will say that the views on this course were very nice.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 04/20/2018:

Hello Russell6018268, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our course. We are glad you enjoyed our views and we appreciate your feedback on our fairways. We escalated your feedback to the appropriate departments. Our fairways are still dormant and we expect them to green up in the coming weeks. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to earn your business again.

"Somewhat challenging layout"

rcbrown1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2018

New owners are getting this course back in shape. Need steady temps in the 80s plus some rain to fill in the fairways... just like many courses in the upstate. No doubt this course will be in great shape very soon. Some holes will test your game. Championship speed on the greens but not difficult if you lineup your putt correctly and stroke it square & true. Will definitely play again & again.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/04/2018:

Hello rcbrown1, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course and conditions of our greens. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort in Pickens and we hope to see you again soon!

"Mixed bag"

RevSteve's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2018

Drove about 45 minutes to play. GPS directions from GolfNow were a bit off so double check before missing the course!

Pace of play was slow but it was a beautiful day so you expect it somewhat.

Greens were in great shape and rolled true. Best part of the actual course.

Fairways were non-existent. Terrible, I was glad to be in the rough so I didn’t have to hit off the hard pan. Most people use their foot wedge to get into the fairway, several times it was opposite! Hoping in a month there will be actual grass there. I will play again before writing the course off. If the summer season hits and there’s no grass, there are many other options available.

Staff was 5 star all the way. Cheeseburger from the grill was PERFECT and they let me refill my drink for the road.

Honestly, if there was ANY grass on the fairways it’d be 4 stars, nice fairways and it would merit 5 stars. The scenery is beautiful with a creek running through the course. Beautiful waterfall on 8 is definitely picture worthy. But the fairways!!!!

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 04/18/2018:

Hello RevSteve, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our course. We are glad you enjoyed the conditions of our greens, scenery, and staff friendliness. We also appreciate your feedback on the pace of play and conditions of the fairways. Our fairways are still dormant and we are confident that they will green up in the coming weeks. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon.

"Disappointed"

buckeyeman19's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2018

Course was in rough shape. Not sure if it was due to the amount of rain the area has had or what but fairways had a lot of hardpan... rough was almost all hardpan...greens were like rock except for maybe 3 of them....pace of play was extremely slow due to a foursome of women not letting anyone play through on the front 9...back 9 was a bit better but not by much. Played the course a few years ago and it was in better shape. New owners have their work cut out for them to get this track in better shape. Course layout is pretty nice and you have to bag the driver on a bunch of holes as it is a ball position course with plenty of tight holes and doglegs.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 04/11/2018:

Hello buckeyeman19, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our course. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and we appreciate your feedback on the course conditions and the pace of play. We escalated your feedback to the appropriate departments. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to earn your business again.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2018

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 04/13/2018:

Hello, thank you for the four-star rating. We are glad you had a great golf experience at The Rock Golf Club & Resort in Pickens. We also appreciate your rating on the course conditions. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon!

"Worth the drive!!!"

gegas's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2018

The new owners are putting some money back into the course. Greens are in great shape just waiting for the grass to green up. The only small thing they need is sand on the carts and sand at the tees. Lunch was amazing.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 04/03/2018:

Hello gegas, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course, the conditions of our greens, and our lunch. We also appreciate your feedback on the sand on the carts and tees. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort in Pickens and we hope to see you again soon!

"Still early"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/25/2018

Overall I think this course is great. I live just a few minutes from the course, but this was my first time playing here. Played on 3/25 so the Bermuda is still domant, however, the course conditions overall we're great. Some small puddles of standing water, 1.5" of rain the night before. I will certainly be playing again in the next month.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 03/28/2018:

Hello, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you had an enjoyable experience at The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we appreciate your feedback on the standing water. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2018
Previously played Used cart Cold weather

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 03/23/2018:

Hello, thank you for the five-star rating. We are glad you had an excellent golf experience at The Rock Golf Club & Resort. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again the next time you are in Pickens!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/03/2018

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 03/06/2018:

Hello, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course and affordable rates. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon!

"Nice Track"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/02/2018

I played the course several times back in the early 2000s. It is much improved. The new greens roll good and will get better with time. I found them hard to read, due to undulations, and suttle breaks. The fairways were very bare (even considering early March) This is a unique layout with lots of elevation and lots of dogleg fairways. It also has a pretty backdrop with the mountains. With warmer weather there should be greater enhancement. Played under 4 hours. Add all this together, it will be on my list to return.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 03/14/2018:

Hello, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed the conditions of our greens and our course layout. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again the next time you are in Pickens!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/24/2018

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 02/27/2018:

Hello, thank you for the four-star rating. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and found our staff friendly! Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again the next time you are in Pickens!

"It's still February."

88bogeyman's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/18/2018

First time. Better than I expected. The fairways were tough as it is February and the grass is still dormant. Made irons a bit difficult. A lot of water (ponds and streams) all over. Good to have a GPS map (I use goflnow.com) to actually view the satellite images. Guy at the pro-shop said the greens were new and hard. They were in excellent shape -pretty much the only green part of the course (it is February!). I would go back if I could next time through.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 02/21/2018:

Hello 88bogeyman, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed the conditions of our greens and pace of play. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again the next time you are in the Pickens area!

"Welcome Back"

kcraig19's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/01/2018
Previously played Used cart Cold weather

I have played the course over the last 10 years. Unfortunately, I have not played much there the past three years because the conditions were so bad that he course was unplayable. However, they have done a great job of getting the course back nto shape, including rebuilding the greens. We had a great time on a cold day. There was very little play so we finished in 3 hours. The greens were smooth and quick. Do note that as most new greens they are very firm and not very receptive. However, with time, airification and top dressing they will improve. It has always been a nice track with some beautiful views and challenging shots both from the tee and into the greens. Welcome Back.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 02/06/2018:

Hello kcraig19, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course improvements and pace of play! Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again the next time you are in the Pickens area!

"Enjoyable day"

Rada0016's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/25/2018

Great greens! Good layout. Despite recent rains course very playable. Look forward to going back.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 01/29/2018:

Hello Rada0016, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed the condition of our greens and our course layout! Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again the next time you are in the Pickens area!