The Rock Golf Club & Resort

• (864) 878-2030
  • www.therockgolfclub.com

Year built: 1979
Type: Resort

Walking allowed: Yes, members only before 1 PM on weekends/holidays.

Location is worth the drive   Great for wildlife/ scenic views locals seniors   Challenges include water hazards elevation changes narrow fairways   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views watching the game

"Goat Track"

erolly6's avatar
Age:  Under 25

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/14/2018

This place was the granddaddy of all goat tracks. It was so bad that it was worth my time to make an account and write this review. The staff is really friendly and the clubhouse is nice and renovated. Other than the views, thats about all they have going for them. Even at $32 it was about $10 over priced. There is no practice green and the driving range is a net...nice! If you want to practice your short game before you go, practice on your driveway because its probably softer than the greens. There were 2 temporary greens. The fairways on the front weren’t terrible but the back had no fairways. Hopefully youll be able to reach the green from the tee because if you hit it in the “fairway” you may not find your ball. There were several greens that recently undergone some very poor sod jobs. To top it all off, I ordered a burger and fries from the clubhoue and received no more than about 15 french fries, but they were good at least. Needless to say the course should be currently closed down while they attempt to make this track playable. So unless you just want to venture up toward that neck of the woods to see how bad it is for entertainment purposes, just stay away. You can thank me later.

Commented on 07/15/2018

Well, well, well...I just had to get an account to respond to your comments. If your age is correct (under 25) you have never seen "the granddaddy of all goat tracks". So, why didn't you play The Cliffs, or travel to Pinehurst? Was this the first time you have played The Rock? Did you see the condition of this course before the improvements?

My husband and son are in the low single digit handicap and they both enjoy The Rock. This is a fun and most times challenging course...I have played many courses in Pinehurst . I have seen the changes of The Rock for the past 10 years....have you? In your review you did not compare other courses from your expertise. Your comment regarding the fairways on the back nine...the back nine is lower to flood plain which means they may have been wet.12, 13 and 14 fairways can remain wet longer because of rain and can not be mowed. Use a pink or yellow ball and just enjoy a game of golf for $32 or go to Pinehurst and pay $300 to play #2 and not see a single creek or waterfall or range of elevation. If you do not enjoy "that neck of the woods", again travel elsewhere. There are many of us that enjoy a change of scenery when it comes to golf. I do agree with you regarding the net as I do miss hitting balls before playing. I so wish they would remove the net. For those of you reading this, please do not take errolly6's review seriously...you will thank me later.

"Mike Collins"

RoadKing04's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2018
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

I played this course years ago and liked it and then it went downhill fast. I am so glad it is coming back. Its a great layout and other that a few greens it was great and they are working on those. We got caught up in a rain storm and had to quit so I cant wait to get back and get all 18 in. Great job to everyone there and keep up the good work. The young lady in the restaurant was great and the food was excellent

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 06/15/2018:

Hello RoadKing04, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and we appreciate the great feedback on our renovations and restaurant. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon!

Jarrodgue's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2018

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 06/06/2018:

Hello Jarrodgue, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and had a great a golf experience. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon!

"A gem in the SC Upstate"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2018
Previously played Used cart

This course is under new ownership and management and what a pleasure it is to play here now. Everything is much improved. The 8th hole par 3 with the waterfall is a challenge with an incredible view. The pulled pork sandwich at the turn from the club house restaurant was delicious.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/30/2018:

Hello, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you had an excellent experience at The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we appreciate the great feedback on our food. Thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you again soon!

"Nice people and place, poor condition"

Cole4303162's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2018

The staff is incredibly friendly and the newly renovated dining area is great. The layout is fun but the fairways are poor. The tee boxes weren’t all kept and the greens were hard as rocks

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/31/2018:

Hello Cole4303162, thank you for the taking the time to write a review of our course. We are glad you found our staff friendly and enjoyed our renovated restaurant. We also appreciate your feedback and rating on our course conditions. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to earn your business again.

"Much better, but still a ways to go"

keoweekey's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Had a great time back at Bear Valley after a few years. Met one of the new owners and could see they are putting money and investment back into the course. There are a few greens that are still dormant, but many are in great shape. Some of the fairways are still coming in, but overall the course is in the best shape I have seen it in over 15 years of playing it. The new ownership has a great vision for getting that course in great shape, and the staff is very friendly. I thought I would never go back there, but after today I will be back for sure. Keep up the good work!

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 06/01/2018:

Hello keoweekey, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our improvements and found our staff friendly. Thank you for the kind words and we hope to see you again at The Rock Golf Club & Resort again soon!

"Best its been in 10 years"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2018

Best its been here in 10 years or so. they need rain but course was in very good condition. Staff was very pleasant. I recommend to anyone.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/11/2018:

Hello, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course conditions and found our staff friendly. Thank you for the excellent feedback and we hope to see you at The Rock Golf Club & Resort again soon!

"The Rock can be WAY better."

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2018

The last time I played the rock was about 12 years ago. Back then, the course was Beautiful and in great shape, there was an actual driving range, the greens were awesome and well kept. Now, is another story. Although the scenery is really great, the staff is wonderful, and the creek winding through the entire course is something that I love...the fairways, tee boxes, and greens need some serious improvement. I hope that it can return to its glory days of natural grandeur as a true golfing destination.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/11/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our course. We are glad you enjoyed our scenery and found our staff friendly. We also appreciate your feedback on the course conditions. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to earn your business again.

"Spectacular Views"

refgerald1978's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2018

Excellent course !! Great staff . Only reason i did not rate condition higher is still lots of Flat pan with Grass slow to fill in and Grass not Covering fairways . BUT , that is coming soon with this good weather. great experience

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/01/2018:

Hello refgerald1978, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course, views, and friendly staff. We also appreciate your feedback on the course conditions. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon!

"Great greens"

amcconnell42's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2018

I have been playing this course for a number of years and I've never seen it in such a good shape especially the greens fast and true.....keep up the great work!

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/02/2018:

Hello amcconnell42, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you enjoyed the conditions of our greens and we appreciate the great feedback. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort in Pickens and we hope to see you again soon!

"My experience at the Rock"

Myangel81312's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2018

This was a wonderful course. The holes we a little challenging, but nicely designed. The views over all of the course was amazing!

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 04/25/2018:

Hello Myangel81312, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and views. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort in Pickens and we hope to see you again soon!

"Poor fairways"

Russell6018268's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2018

This is the first time I’ve played at The Rock and I had high hopes since it was recently renovated. The fairways were in horrible shape, the greens were average and you couldn’t tell where the fairways ended and the rough began. This course has the potential to be very nice if they would hire a grounds crew that knew what they were doing. I will say that the views on this course were very nice.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 04/20/2018:

Hello Russell6018268, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our course. We are glad you enjoyed our views and we appreciate your feedback on our fairways. We escalated your feedback to the appropriate departments. Our fairways are still dormant and we expect them to green up in the coming weeks. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to earn your business again.

"Somewhat challenging layout"

rcbrown1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2018

New owners are getting this course back in shape. Need steady temps in the 80s plus some rain to fill in the fairways... just like many courses in the upstate. No doubt this course will be in great shape very soon. Some holes will test your game. Championship speed on the greens but not difficult if you lineup your putt correctly and stroke it square & true. Will definitely play again & again.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 05/04/2018:

Hello rcbrown1, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course and conditions of our greens. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort in Pickens and we hope to see you again soon!

"Mixed bag"

RevSteve's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2018

Drove about 45 minutes to play. GPS directions from GolfNow were a bit off so double check before missing the course!

Pace of play was slow but it was a beautiful day so you expect it somewhat.

Greens were in great shape and rolled true. Best part of the actual course.

Fairways were non-existent. Terrible, I was glad to be in the rough so I didn’t have to hit off the hard pan. Most people use their foot wedge to get into the fairway, several times it was opposite! Hoping in a month there will be actual grass there. I will play again before writing the course off. If the summer season hits and there’s no grass, there are many other options available.

Staff was 5 star all the way. Cheeseburger from the grill was PERFECT and they let me refill my drink for the road.

Honestly, if there was ANY grass on the fairways it’d be 4 stars, nice fairways and it would merit 5 stars. The scenery is beautiful with a creek running through the course. Beautiful waterfall on 8 is definitely picture worthy. But the fairways!!!!

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 04/18/2018:

Hello RevSteve, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our course. We are glad you enjoyed the conditions of our greens, scenery, and staff friendliness. We also appreciate your feedback on the pace of play and conditions of the fairways. Our fairways are still dormant and we are confident that they will green up in the coming weeks. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon.

"Disappointed"

buckeyeman19's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2018

Course was in rough shape. Not sure if it was due to the amount of rain the area has had or what but fairways had a lot of hardpan... rough was almost all hardpan...greens were like rock except for maybe 3 of them....pace of play was extremely slow due to a foursome of women not letting anyone play through on the front 9...back 9 was a bit better but not by much. Played the course a few years ago and it was in better shape. New owners have their work cut out for them to get this track in better shape. Course layout is pretty nice and you have to bag the driver on a bunch of holes as it is a ball position course with plenty of tight holes and doglegs.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 04/11/2018:

Hello buckeyeman19, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our course. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and we appreciate your feedback on the course conditions and the pace of play. We escalated your feedback to the appropriate departments. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to earn your business again.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2018

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 04/13/2018:

Hello, thank you for the four-star rating. We are glad you had a great golf experience at The Rock Golf Club & Resort in Pickens. We also appreciate your rating on the course conditions. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon!

"Worth the drive!!!"

gegas's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2018

The new owners are putting some money back into the course. Greens are in great shape just waiting for the grass to green up. The only small thing they need is sand on the carts and sand at the tees. Lunch was amazing.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 04/03/2018:

Hello gegas, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course, the conditions of our greens, and our lunch. We also appreciate your feedback on the sand on the carts and tees. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort in Pickens and we hope to see you again soon!

"Still early"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/25/2018

Overall I think this course is great. I live just a few minutes from the course, but this was my first time playing here. Played on 3/25 so the Bermuda is still domant, however, the course conditions overall we're great. Some small puddles of standing water, 1.5" of rain the night before. I will certainly be playing again in the next month.

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 03/28/2018:

Hello, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you had an enjoyable experience at The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we appreciate your feedback on the standing water. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2018
Previously played Used cart Cold weather

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 03/23/2018:

Hello, thank you for the five-star rating. We are glad you had an excellent golf experience at The Rock Golf Club & Resort. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again the next time you are in Pickens!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/03/2018

Response from The Rock Golf Club & Resort on 03/06/2018:

Hello, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course and affordable rates. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon!