The Rock Golf Club & Resort

Year Built 1979

Walking Allowed Yes, members only before 1 PM on weekends/holidays.

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2017 #3)

Response from on 02/27/2018:
Hello, thank you for the four-star rating. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and found our staff friendly! Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again the next time you are in Pickens!

It's still February.

First time. Better than I expected. The fairways were tough as it is February and the grass is still dormant. Made irons a bit difficult. A lot of water (ponds and streams) all over. Good to have a GPS map (I use goflnow.com) to actually view the satellite images. Guy at the pro-shop said the greens were new and hard. They were in excellent shape -pretty much the only green part of the course (it is February!). I would go back if I could next time through.

Response from on 02/21/2018:
Hello 88bogeyman, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed the conditions of our greens and pace of play. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again the next time you are in the Pickens area!

Welcome Back

I have played the course over the last 10 years. Unfortunately, I have not played much there the past three years because the conditions were so bad that he course was unplayable. However, they have done a great job of getting the course back nto shape, including rebuilding the greens. We had a great time on a cold day. There was very little play so we finished in 3 hours. The greens were smooth and quick. Do note that as most new greens they are very firm and not very receptive. However, with time, airification and top dressing they will improve. It has always been a nice track with some beautiful views and challenging shots both from the tee and into the greens. Welcome Back.

Response from on 02/06/2018:
Hello kcraig19, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course improvements and pace of play! Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again the next time you are in the Pickens area!

Enjoyable day

Great greens! Good layout. Despite recent rains course very playable. Look forward to going back.

Response from on 01/29/2018:
Hello Rada0016, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed the condition of our greens and our course layout! Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again the next time you are in the Pickens area!

Challenging and unique

I booked through GolfNow and the price was an extreme value for the course. I am one of those is tempted to use his driver at every tee box always looking for every extra yard to give me the advantage but on this course there are a few holes that makes you hold back the driver. The course is so well laid out and each hole plays unique that it seems like a different coursee just about every hole. It is riddled with water in the form of creeks and ponds which also lends itself to forcing you to choose your shot wisely. The greenss are in excellent shape and take a good eye to read some of the subtle breaks. Overall it was a fantastic experience from the staff friendliness to the course play! It will definitely be worth your time to play it.

Response from on 01/29/2018:
Hello johnmusser, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course conditions, layout, affordable rates, and found our staff friendly! Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again the next time you are in the Pickens area!

Changes are amazing

What a great job Tommy and the guys did with this course!! If you haven’t played here before or played it 2-3 years ago when it was in bad shape you need to come play it again. The greens are absolutely perfect and this is still January!! The layout is great and the new owners have brought this course back to life! You owe it to yourself to come play The Rock

Response from on 01/26/2018:
Hello jasonleist, thank you for the four-star review and for the kind words. We are glad you enjoyed our layout and course improvements! Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again very soon!

Best Improvement Ever

This course has come a long way on improvement and it’s a great course to play.

Response from on 02/05/2018:
Hello MountainFolk2009, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course and new improvements! Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again the next time you are in the Pickens area!

The Rock at Jocassee

Brand New greens are in wonderful playing shape,Challenging and fun to play.

Response from on 01/03/2018:
Hello, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our new greens and course layout. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again the next time you are in the Pickens area!

A must see!

Played this course couple times a year ago and told myself I would never come back. Now under new ownership it is a definite must play. The greens are 2nd to none. Even though the fairways are dormant I could tell there has been a lot of work done and has great potential. I now tell myself can't wait to come back.

Response from on 12/22/2017:
Hello Josh1484141, thank you for the five-star review! We are glad you enjoyed the conditions of our greens and other improvements. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again the next time you are in the Pickens area!

Great course, slow play.

Only problem I had with this round was having to wait between 5 and 10 min on every hole! Also the cart paths could use some TLC.

Response from on 12/08/2017:
Hello, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and found our staff friendly. We are also sorry to hear about the subpar pace of play you encountered. We appreciate your feedback on our pace of play and cart paths. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon!

Changes!!

What a job these guys have done! The greens are brand new and roll perfect. Tees and bunkers are much better also. Fairways and rough are dormant but I am sure come spring they will be really nice too. A perfect location and finally the course conditions make you want to go back time after time. Great job Tommy and crew!

Response from on 12/01/2017:
Hello jasonleist, thank you for your kind words and the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and the condition of our greens. Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you the next time you are in the Pickens area!

Great Greens

The course is under new ownership and reopened three weeks ago. While I’m sure course will continue to improve, it’s still a great value. Best greens I’ve played all year!

Response from on 11/28/2017:
Hello sandrews06, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed the condition of our greens and our affordable rates! Thank you for visiting The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon!

Great comeback

New ownership. New greens. Great new attitude. Been playing here for years. The course never looked better. Thank you.

Response from on 02/09/2018:
Hello, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our new greens and improvements! Thank you for the excellent review and we hope to see you at The Rock Golf Club & Resort the next time you are in the Pickens area!

Many Improvements at THE ROCK

There has been a lot of hard work done on this course in the past year. And it takes a lot of guts to reopen a golf course when winter is knocking on the door. But they have done a great job fixing and improving this course. A beautiful place to play! I can't wait to see what this course will hopefully look like this coming summer. Thanks for all your continued hard work!

Response from on 11/27/2017:
Hello Rayconway7, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our improvements to the course and we appreciate your great feedback! Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again soon!

What a change!

I played the Rock at Jocassee today again for the first time under the latest management change. I played it last about 3 months ago and was very disappointed with the course conditions, the staff friendliness, and the amenities at the course. After hearing that there had been a change in ownership and heard that Biershank was involved in the new management, I decided to try it again. It was like stepping out onto a totally different course. From the first stop at the pro shop, the changes were dramatic. The staff was friendly and welcoming and the changes in the course conditions was eye-popping. Every green has been redone and was immaculate. It was like putting on a carpet. Wayne, Bill, and I play every week at some course in the upstate, and at present The Rock at Jocassee is our new favorite course. You've got to try it to believe it. The course has always been scenic, but the greens, tee boxes, and fairways are now first rate.

Response from on 11/27/2017:
Hello jaycbobo1, thank you for the five-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our new improvements to the course! Thank you for the excellent feedback and we hope to see you at The Rock Golf Club & Resort again very soon!

The Rock is back!

I have played the Rock for many years and it was sad the terrible shape the previous group let this course slip to. It was a dog track at best. I played on November 19 and was absolutely amazed at the changes. New gas carts, tee boxes, greens not just puttable but challenging, restaurant open and serving. I cant say enough good things about the course. It is a real golf course once again and i encourage any one who has ever played there to give it a shot. You wont be dissappointed.

Response from on 11/27/2017:
Hello, thank you for the five-star review! We are glad you enjoyed our new improvements to the course. Thank you for playing The Rock Golf Club & Resort and we hope to see you again the next time you are in the Pickens area!

Beautiful place

The mountain. Is a beautiful place,the course is in great shape,it has long fairways with tough mountain side holse very challenging me and my father played this course many times, friendly staff great club house with pool area plus lot more,cabins also available and condos in area , course has it all waterfalls small ponds to add water challenge,would recommend anytime of year

Response from on 02/26/2018:
Hello Wolfe18, thank you for the four-star review. We are glad you enjoyed our course conditions, layout, and found our staff friendly. Thank you for the recommendation and we hope to see you at The Rock Golf Club & Resort the next time you are in Pickens!

Great Potential, Terrible Shape

The course is in a fantastic area with awesome views of the surrounding mountains and waterfalls. However this may be the worst golf course I have ever played from a condition standpoint. The greens are unputtable and many are lacking grass (just sand) and the fairways did not look like they had been cut in about a week. There was no differentiation between the fairway and rough - it was all the same. On the positive side, we were able to play extremely quickly because we did not see any other players the entire round (3 other cars in the parking lot when we finished). The course has spectacular views but lacks in the quality of the course.

Up coming best course

WOW! Have you seen what they are doing at the Rock! Under new ownership & the place is going to be wonderful! All new fairways, all new greens & it looks like the club house & restaurant are going to be great. They have been closed since mid-May. I was told they will be reopening sometime in September. Can't wait!

No putting surface

I took my son to play at this course mainly because it was a hot deal for $12 each. It was really not a good value after all. The greens have totally been taken over by crabgrass. I have always like the layout of this course and the fairway were ok. Most of the tee boxes had not been mowed in a while. There was really no way to put the ball on most of the greens. They were just clumps of crabgrass and dirt. I hope someone turns this course around, but it's going to take a ton of work.

Sunset, South Carolina