The Rock Golf Club & Resort

Year Built 1979

Walking Allowed Yes, members only before 1 PM on weekends/holidays.

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2017 #3)

Nice Track Poor Maintenance

I enjoyed the track. Beautiful. However;
The Greens were in terrible condition. And they don't look like they will be in decent shape ANYTIME SOON
Too Bad }:(>

Lost greens

I pulled into the parking lot at 11:45 on a beautiful February day. 65 degrees. There was only one other car in the parking lot. Having played the course several times - although not in the past year - I was surprised at the lack of golfers. Thought perhaps the course was closed. Entered the Pro Shop and talked to the attendant. Mystery solved. He told me they had lost their greens last summer. It was too pretty of a day not to play. Played by myself and had a good time from tee to green. Greens were the worst I have ever played on. Clumps of grass and bare dirt. There is talk they will replant greens with zoysia grass. Also talk that the course is up for sale. Won't return until things change. Hopefully they can fix the problem. I really enjoy the course design.

Great course with terrible greens

I had much anticipated playing this course after hearing great things about it the last couple of years. When I saw the hot deal on Golfnow I jumped at it and it didn't take long to realize why I got such a good deal. The greens are terrible. I was told that during an extremely hot day during the summer, the superintendent failed to adequately hydrate the greens. 17/18 were unplayable. I left my putter in the bag after 7 holes. It was realy too bad as the layout is challenging and the views are above average. I hope this course finds a way to fix the greens and not go bankrupt as it's a great track.

Greens

The greens were in very poor condition, on the third hole the green was under repair and it seemed that they put the flag in a section of the fairway but did not mow the grass and it was impossible to make a putt.

Play Somewhere Else

The greens are in hideous shape. Until that gets better, I would avoid this course altogether

Terrible from "pro shop" to 18th green

I have played this course many times but it had been a while and now it is without doubt the worst course in SC...maybe even the southeast!! No grass on the greens, cart wouldn't hold the bag and the guy in the shop wasn't concerned about any of it. They should just go ahead and shut it down!! Do not go there even if it's free. It's a shame because fall would be a perfect time to visit this course but it is dead. Golf Now should even disassociated with them to save their good name.

Wait until Spring 2017

I love the layout and used to love playing here. But yesterday was very disappointing. Only one green of the 18 was even putt-able. The rest were dirt, sand, and patches of crabgrass. Both of our bags fell off due to the strap latches failing, until we crammed our towels in the latch too. Also, on a day when the temperatures are high 80s, there should be water in every cooler, not just half of them!

We were told by more than one person that they are working on things. One guy said, "Come back in two months." I think it's going to take longer than that to fix everything that's wrong. If we can get a super hot deal in the spring, we'll try again. As it was, yesterday wasn't even worth the $18 we paid.

The Rock should cloee

i have played The Rock/Bear Valley many times but i will not be back after my last experience. The greens were dead and painted dirt mostly. What grass there was on the green was crab grass and not cut for days. Tee boxes were akso mostly dead grass and fairways were hitable but hadn't been mowed in days. It appears they have no maintenance budget. Overall, the course was a dog track. Do not waste your money. honestly, the course should close. Golf Now should be ashamed to be associated with this course

ok for $16

Lots of dead grass piles in fairways and tee boxes. Greens were all in horrible condition, more crabgrass than anything. Had groups couple holes behind us so no pressure but has to wait on slow group ahead that wouldn't let us play through so had prob 45 extra minutes on our round waiting for the people in front. Fix the greens and I will be back. Friendly staff

The ROCK

The Teebox ,the cart paths ,the Fairways OK but the greens are in poor condition !

The course had great features

The greens were nothing but dirt and crabgrass

Needs major repairs to greens and bunkers

Owners have spent no money recently. seem to be destroying what was once a good course to play.

Please don't even waste your time. Seriously

Wow. Where do I start. Walking in the door even before getting the cart, staff was awful. Not even a smile on the guy's face to say the least. Got the cart which was extremely outdated and the strap on the bag holder wouldn't hold the bag up at all. Fell off 3 times before 12 holes were completed. Putting green was terrible. Hadn't been treated or watered in months it seemed. Fairways were like thick rough at other courses. Greens had more weeds and sand than grass. Absolutely terrible. Every single bunker had grass growing in them. We only played 12 holes and left. Had I not prepaid for this course I would have left sooner. Worst course I've ever played. Course has extreme potential but for now, I wouldn't recommend this course to anyone. Please dont waste your time at all. There are plenty of other courses in the area for the same price that are exponentially better.

Abhorred and Disappointed

I did not expect the conditions that we were thrown into. The greens were horrendous. It appears they hadn't been cut in weeks at minimum. One even had an abundance of mole hills.. The fairways were what I would consider rough on any other course - so you can imagine the rough itself. I have very little to say about this purse other than the layout has much potential, which only makes me sad thinking about how the management has let it go so far down.

Nice layout BUT...

LOVED the course layout but the conditions were disappointing. Tee boxes rough and greens terrible. Maybe 2 decent greens on entire course that I seriously tried to putt. Fairways nice, so approach shots were enjoyable. Now, if ownership puts in a few bucks, this place would be awesome. May be one of the best overall layouts I have played. Fix the problems and I would go back in a heartbeat.

Worse course I've played on in south Carolina

There was so many patches of weedstate on the greens you would be better off using a pitching wedge instead of a putter, and for $40 a round you think they had some weed killer. The golf carts were broken and the strap to hold you bag on did not work and my buddies clubs fell off and got scratched up. I was very disappointed in the course.

The Rock

I think ownership has just changed, again, so work in progress. Some greens spotty and most all with "crows feet" but seemed to have been rolled and putts stayed fairly true. Great Golf now deal but would not pay full price other than for convience but LOVE the Coyrse layout and will play again!

Need work

Some holes were in great condition. Others not so much.

NIce layout

Fist off, it was a very nice day and a great drive to the course. The gentleman in the Golf shop was nice and helpful.. It was slow when I was there, so could take my time and enjoy the scenery. But the course was not in good shape at all. The tee boxes were ok, the fairways were fair at best, and the greens left a lot to be desired. I found out that there was an owner change after a bankruptcy, and will take a while to get it back in shape. I'm hoping so, it is a nice, scenic course.

Save your money

Played on a weekend and was looking for a good course I hadn't played in a while. I was extremely disappointed in the condition of the course. Fairways were pretty rough and the greens were like putting on sand. This used to be a great course but it's gone to waste. Save your money and play elsewhere.

Sunset, South Carolina