Lake Marion Golf Course is situated in the heart of Santee, one of the East Coast's premier golfing destinations. The course is routed through a series of lakes and mature pine forests. Trees border the fairways and there are 47 strategically placed bunkers lurking beside the greens. Water also comes into play on a few holes. The gently rolling terrain provides elevated greens and subtle but tricky contours. The winding layout also has a few doglegs that can be hard to navigate. Don't let the challenges fool you though, the golf course is player friendly enough for beginners to approach with confidence. It is a favorite amongst both locals and visitors not only for the extremely playable layout but also the well conditioned greens that putt fast and true all year long.

Lake Marion Golf Course

Year Built 1978
Fairways 419 Bermuda Grass
Greens Miniverde Bermuda Grass
Architect Ed Riccoboni (1978)

Dress code Collared shirts required. Golf shUorts permitted. No tees, tanks, halters, swimsuits, blue jeans, cut-offs, short shorts, jogging shorts, bike shorts, athletic shorts, or thong sandals.

Snacks

Clubhouse

Group Getaways 9
Playing Multiple Courses 7

What happened here?

I have been playing this course for many years, but it has been at least one year since my last visit. Let me start out by saying that I've always enjoyed the layout of this course. If you know where to hit the ball and where not to hit it, you can post a decent score. The greens were very patchy and very inconsistent for putting. It was quite frustrating. On top of that, the rough was recently cut with the grass clippings left inn place making it impossible to find a ball if I didn't hit the fairway. The fairway was not closely cut, so "pinching" the ball to create some spin was a bit difficult. I sure hope that the course improves because as I said, I really like this track. Santee National right down the road is a much better option right now as the course conditions are quite fantastic.

Great Value Great Staff

Great course. Well maintained, super friendly staff. This is a very affordable round of golf on a course that definitely has the look and feel of much more expensive locations. Generally great weather all year round. Great for beginners or the very skilled. Very good Pro Shop. Tremendous selection and supply of shoes. Just picked up a a pair of Skechers Golf at a great price. Well worth a visit for golf and equipment!

Great course. Well maintained, super friendly staff. This is a very affordable round of golf on a course that definitely has the look and feel of much more expensive locations. You won't be disappointed! Very good Pro Shop. Tremendous selection and supply of shoes. Just picked up a a pair of Skechers Golf at a great price. Well worth a visit for golf and equipment!

Nice Course, Greens?

Played here in late September. Course is still in great shape, but the greens were not as nice as previous. Greens had several spots of dying grass, looks like it was too wet in other places with bare spots, but the greens are receptive. You must pay attention to the grain in the greens. Course is challenging but playable for every level of golfer. A must play, you will not be disappointed.

Another Solid Round

Had Lake Marion on the agenda again for our annual trip. Other than some pace of play issues on our initial 18, everything was great. Course conditions were as expected for early spring. Fairways and greens were in good shape and the rough is still coming out of dormancy. Not overly challenging but a few holes can jump up and bite you if you get too lax.

Definitely worth taking advantage of the replay deal here if it's part of your package. We ended up playing another 9 and had a great time with a good bit less golfers on the course.

Great Value for the Money

Excellent course with a great layout.The fairways and greens were in top shape.I would definitely play here again.Also some great deals on shoes.

Good value with friendly staff

My first time playing on the course and I'll definitely be back!

Very nice layout and a greens fee that makes it a good value.

Very friendly staff and offered to mail my cell phone that I lost on the course back to me. Phone was mailed back to me in a protective package with no damage.

Excellent Golf Course

Played this course as part of a 3 day golf package along with Santee Cooper and Santee National. The course is in excellent condition. Greens hold nicely and run true. Greens has good pace and are in very good shape. Lots of dogleg holes. Course is wide open and plays fair. The package offered through Santee Cooper Resort is perfect, and they take very good care of you. Very much recommend this course, you should not be disappointed. Only thing we didn't like was no cold water jugs on the course.

Fun Round

If you are passing through the Santee area this is a great place for a quick and enjoyable round of golf. The course is right off the I-95 so it is easy to get to. The fairways were in average condition and the greens were similar. Greens were moderately fast and ran relatively straight. There are no 'gimmick' holes - what you see is what you get! Just a fun and easy place to play. Staff were very friendly and no reservations are needed.

This a great golf course. We played it during our annual spring trip and can't wait to go back. Great layout with great views. Placement off the tee is key. Driver stayed in the bag most of the day.

A Good Golf Value As Advertised

Played Santee Cooper on our way down to Hilton Head for the 4th of July and decided to try Lake Marion on the way back. Was glad we stopped.

Staff are very welcoming, and the pro shop is WELL stocked with Foot Joys at great prices. I also picked up some Volvik golf balls cheaper than I can buy them on line. Drinks and food, like the greens fees ($30), are all priced fairly.

Unlike its sister course Santee Cooper, this time our cart had a GPS monitor, which was really helpful especially in judging distances to hazards off the tee and on approaches. That said, the greens are very large so it helps to have a rangefinder also because the difference between a front and back pin location can be 10 to 15 yards.

The course was in very good condition in early July. The greens were large and many had quite extreme slopes so putting was a challenge even though the greens rolled true. Tee boxes and fairways were also good. Course had what I would call resort rough - meaning it was only marginally longer than the fairways. Much less water than Santee Cooper.

The course is not extremely difficult, but challenging enough and requiring enough different shots to make for an interesting round.

Pace of play was good. We finished in 4 hours. Only had to wait and only got pushed a couple of times. One group of local ladies had played the back 9 first and were making the turn as we were teeing off on 1, but they just waited for us to tee off and then drove around us and we never saw them again.

I enjoyed both of my rounds in Santee. It's title "America's Value Golf Destination" definitely has more than a grain of truth to it.

Lake Marion 7/8/15

Course was in good shape, but some top dressing left on the greens was not helpful to my putting. There was nothing listed on the GolfNow site about the top dressing.
I was disappointed in the 20% upcharge by GolfNow, seems excessive. I now know I can get he same greens fee rate by calling the course directly and won't have to pay a $10+ fee to secure a tee time.

Good local course.

Nothig frilly or fancy but still a challenge for most golfers. Very friendly staff and a no pressure environment. Overall a course to play over and over.

great golf course

wife and I played all 3 courses in santee and this was our favorite. we will play it again when we are in the area. funn course to play

this is a fun course

Considering the harsh winter I think the course was in great shape. Elavated greens test your skills especially for flat landers like me. Staff are friendly and helpful. The starter is a comedian. I love this course.

terrible shape

fairways ok but greens tees were awful . Had not been cut.
Greens had very little grass growing on them. For a place that seems to always get good reviews I was very disappointed.

Great day for Golf

Enjoyed the course, weather was beautiful. Would play again. Thanks

5 hour round

Course was great very slow pace of play but enjoyable

Worth the drive..

i would like to start by saying the people i dealt with were OUTSTANDING..We live in Summerville about 45 minutes away, the drive was easy and more than worth the trip. our weather was a little wet, but not bad since our winter has been very wet and cold this year. The course was in good shape considering all the poor weather we have dealt with. I would recommend this track to any golfer who likes to play a very fair course with little distractions. Typical layout with old growth tress, but with many opportunities to play out of them, love this since i was playing with my sons..

enjoyed the day very much, we plan to come play this summer when the course is in full color and full strength.

Santee, South Carolina