Santee Cooper Country Club is the sister course to Lake Marion, which sits less than 15 minutes away. Both courses are known for their exceptional greens that offer fast, smooth putting surfaces. The course wanders through the forests of majestic pines and native vegetation that border Lake Marion. The fairways are lined with trees and form twisting doglegs that can be quite tricky to navigate. The layout consists of an interesting mix of holes including challenging par 3s and risk-reward par 5s, which are all spread across a variety of different elevation changes. It is a golf course that will test your skills with different shot requirements, so be prepared to use every club in your bag. Santee Cooper Country Club finishes with one of the best closing holes in the area, which is partly memorable for its beautiful panoramic view of the lake.

Year Built 1967
Fairways 419 Bermuda
Greens Miniverde Bermuda
Architect George Cobb (1967)

Dress code Collared shirts required. Golf shorts permitted. No tees, tanks, halters, swimsuits, blue jeans, cut-offs, short shorts, jogging shorts, bike shorts, athletic shorts, or thong sandals.

Playing Multiple Courses 7

Very nice greens, BUT....

we played in Santee for four straight days. Out of all the area courses, this one had BY FAR the best greens. They were perfect. The only problem was, whoever set the pin locations has no idea what they are doing. There were three pin locations that were almost impossible. On 17, the pin was cut on the very edge of a slope that ran off the green (middle left). Any putt above the hole had no chance of staying on the green unless it hit the hole. Putts from below the hole would come right back off the green if they did not go in. If the pin were cut four feet further to the right, there would have been no issue. This was also the case on 8 (front right) and 9 (back left) Golf course staff, I hope you read this. If you are concerned about pace of play, especially when a large group visits, do yourselves a favor and place the pins in a more favorable location.

Not in good shape

Unfortunately this course was not in good shape.The fairways were rough and full of weeds and lacking grass in a lot of areas.Quite a few areas wer roped off because of the shape of the fairways.On a positive note it was a nice layout.

Very Good Course

This is a very nice golf course to play in the Santee area. The greens were good and held all shots coming in. Greens were good speed and rolled nicely. We were pleased with this course, but would rate it as the third best of the three in Santee. However, we recommend playing it, but would play it first. Course is wide open and plays fairly easy.

Cooper is the best!

My wife and I played this course for the first time, in mid-morning, with temperatures in the mid 90's. The course was by far our favorite for all the courses that we played in the area. Ladies get a fair but ample lead vs. the men's tee, the course is absolutely beautiful, well maintained, cared for and just a pure pleasure, with challenge as much as you want and reward for your good behaviour as well. We loved this course, the only drawback was the lack of food and beverage at the course. There was a sign on a portion of the building for Snack Bar but nothing open while we were there. If you play here, bring your own refreshment.

15a74e15-6ad7-5126-9b97-a2643b093db7
Commented on 07/09/2016

Excellent review. Surprised that the snack bar wasn't open when you were there. We had the first tee time during the week a few days before you and the guy running the pro shop also tended the snack bar.

Enjoyable Round with Some Challenges

End of June round today the course conditions were excellent. Greens were smooth and I never had a bad lie in the fairway.

Lot of dog legs and some water. Had a brand new cart which was nice but no GPS which would have helped. They said the carts were so new they didn't have time to install the GPS, which is a bit bogus to me.

Cart guy walked all the way into the snack bar to thank me for the couple of bucks I left on the cart. Does no one tip the cart guys anymore?

7:15 tee time and had the course to ourselves. Good value on package with Clark's Inn. Would definitely play again.

Nice Layout, disappointing conditions

The layout is great. Greens in fair condition. Several of the tee boxes being rebuilt. The fairways were loaded with seagrass. Bunkers well announced with sand.

course has a good layout with different holes

course condition was good except fairways were having problems with grass growth, probably due to hot weather

Nice golf day

This is a nice find if you have time. The greens are in great shape. No bare spots, patches, or rock hard tops. The ball makes a nice divot and recacts well. The club house is due for a modern face lift. More so in the snack bar. The course is great from tee to green. Cart path is a little iffy fairways are smooth so the cart path thing is ok I guess. Irrateing greens in mid July. (Punching holes in the greens).

very nice course

wife and I enjoyed playing here very much. course is not too difficult but challenging. members playing there treated us very nice as guests.

4th year in a row I've played this course

Harsh winter this year made grass a little slow in growth on fairways and greens. Thus tight lies made it hard to play your best iron shots. This is a great layout and a lot of fun to play. I plan to keep it on my annual playlist.

great experience

very good time, nice experience. would play everyday if I could. NOT VERY LONG BUT STILL UTILIZE DECENT SHOTS

Great Course Condition

I wasn't going to write the review as to let everyone know about this hidden gem near Santee.
The course was in great condition and my hat off to the ground crew; you can tell they take great pride in their work.
If it weren't for the driving range showing heavy use, you wouldn't think this course got a lot of action. It was in better condition than any course in North Charleston. My Father in Law and I played teamed up with a couple of locals on the second hole and had a great time.

Very enjoyable day

I booked my tee time online and had a question about my confirmation during checkin. Lady at front desk could have been a bit more sensitive to my needs rather than responding, " take it up with online". The starter was in the pro shop and met me at the first tee. We did not discuss the check in incident however he was friendly and could carry on a good conversation and was very knowledgable about the course and conditions. Let me go in front of a group. Never saw a golfer in front or behind me all day. Very relaxing and surreal. I'll play there again .

Dogleg left

this is a shot makers track, lots of great doglegs. if you like to cut the corner you will love this course.

Beautiful Course

We just stopped here because it was right off I-95. It was a nice course. I hit a hybrid off many tees because there are so many blind dog legs. It is a course I would like to play 3-4 times to know better.

The greens were very fast and in pretty good shape. The fairways were wide, and the houses set back so it was not too crowded.

great morning

the staff at the pro shop was very very nice. They grouped me with some guys from Ohio, down on a golf vacation. I really enjoyed playing with them! The ranger kept trying to rush us along, though there was no one in front of us and no one behind us all day long. This was unnessessary and took away a lot of the enjoyment of the day. I am a 5.6 handicap and I shot a 90, but I still had a great time. The rate through golf now made the hour drive to get to the course enjoyable!

pass this one up play the other ones in the area

5 and a half hour round, tried to get a beer afterwards nobody was in there to help us so we left

Shot Makers Dream!

Played the course for the 1st time. Undoubtedly, a shot makers dream. The course was not overly long but the design/layout of most of the holes made you really plot out where you needed to hit the ball.
The golf car had a pretty cool GPS/rangefinder, it told you the distance of the hole from the tee box, how far to the 150 yrd marker and once you past that how far to the pin, front of green and back of green. I think that really helped. Greens seemed a little slower than what I was used to but rolled really true. Fun course!

Great course at a great price

You can't beat this course for the price you pay. Will be coming back real soon. Missed a few shots I need to make next time.

great trip good golf

Sadly I was a little disappointed about the course especially the greens on the front nine. The back nine was much nicer and tidier. All in all not to bad for the price with the cart.

Santee, South Carolina