Indian River Golf Club

Year Built 1992
Architect Lynn Young

Fun Course

Played this course for the first time. Tough and challenging layout. A few greens have some spots, but great bang for the buck course

Good Course with Friendly Staff

The fairways are in really good shape. The greens are decent except for a few spots on a couple of them. The staff really made me feel like I was at home. Everyone from the pro shop guys to the cart boys were so courteous and helpful. The golf carts seem new and have USB charging ports so my phone didn't die during my round. Indian River is an absolute bang for your buck!

First time playing at Indian River and it was great! The fairways are in wonderful condition and the greens are solid except for a few give spots on some of the holes. The staff was very friendly and professional. The carts were also amazing and had usb ports for the on-cart speakers. Definitely worth it for the price and I will be returning!

Although I do enjoy playing this course it needs some major love. The greens are terrible! Staff is always friendly and will be back but for real do something about the greens.

Greens rock hard and sandy

These greens are terrible, I couldn’t put on them if my life depended on it but I guess you get what you pay for.

New clubs

Just got some new sticks, so I figured I'd give them a try at Indian River. I played here about 4 weeks ago and had the best round of my life. (lots of lucky bounces!)
The fairways are in pretty good shape. The tee boxes needed to be cut, which surprised me since they had their Member-Member tournament starting an hour after my tee time. And the greens are in poor shape. almost every green (except #15), needs some work/attention. Some greens (#17) have "bunkers" on them. Probably not somewhere you want to bring your friends from out of town, but it was a great place test my new irons. It was a very peaceful round and the staff was very friendly.
I'll definitely be back since I live about 15 mins away, but I wish they would give the greens a little more attention. It's a great layout, and a challenging course. If the greens were a little better then it would be one to rave about.

Fun course

Overall good course. Aside from the group in front of me looking for balls every hole, it was a good time.

Slow play, great round

I've grown up playing this course. On Sat., I played by myself a little after 7:30AM not thinking there would be many people out yet. The first 6 holes, I didn't see a soul! it was great! However, on the 7th tee box (out of no where) two older gentlemen were in the fair way looking for balls. I waited 9 mins before teeing off. Got to my ball in the fairway and waited 6 mins. at this point, I was fed-up. And decided to go past them and not finish the 7th. I proceeded to finish the next two holes in about 15 mins. I know I'm a very fast player.... but it should never take two gentlemen 15 mins to play their first two shots on a par 5. Moreover, I got to #10 and had to wait on 2 groups. Where did these people come from?
Overall, the course was in pretty good shape considering we haven't had rain in a while, but many of the greens had sandy/bare patches. I now know to get the earliest tee time possible so I don't have to continue to pass people. Pace of play is definitely an issue..

Greens are slightly improving

Fairways need some moisture, but are acceptable. A few greens are in better condition then a month ago. There are a couple of greens in terrible condition. It’s like they have given up on them or have no idea how to repair them. Course could really be nice with some professional effort and knowledge.

Greens need professional help

Layout is good. Fairways are mostly in good shape. Plenty of room on most holes to hit drive. Enjoyable to play. Sand traps need to be raked out. Greens are decent. They are “the” problem that needs to be fixed. There is no reason for greens to have so many poor surface areas. Hire someone to work the greens. Open the greens up. Water the heck out of them. These greens have so much potential to make this course very special. Somebody needs to step up and start the process to get these greens in A 1 condition. Get a consultant to evaluate and find the solution. I want to join this golf course because it can be special. It’s up to management to make the tough decisions and fix the greens. As soon as I finally see a commitment to solve a very solvable problem, I will join and it’s a given that many golfers will feel the same way. GET IT DONE!!!!!!

Ouch

When the advertisement says "provides for an exhilarating challenge," they mean it. Its challenging to finish this course without wanting to kill yourself. The greens are absolute concrete and the tee boxes are covered in little bits of tees. You get punished for hitting good shots at the pin by the ball rolling 10 yards off the back of the greens. Its a cool layout, they just put no care into it. Its worth maybe $15 a round. You've got a serious pair if you can get through this course without thinking it is the worst few acres in all of God's green Earth.

Absolutely horrible course

This is probably the worst golf course I’ve ever played in my entire life. The greens probably haven’t been punched in decades and are in horrible condition and run faster then concrete. The fairways have gigantic buggers in them and not intentionality, just areas where there is no grass. If you are planning on playing this course, know that it is inexpensive but it is awful. You’re probably better off saving your money and buying that Tiger Woods video game. If I ever had to play this course again I would expect to get paid at least $100. The only thing that would make the course good would be if you would pounded about 32 beers, do not play here. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give the scores and -1,000,000,000.

Disappointing

The greens were more sand than grass and half the fairways were is the worse shape I have ever seen them. It appears Indian River needs water and lots of attention. I will pass on playing here for a couple months and see if they can get the course back in playable shape.

Save your money

While it’s a bargain price, the course in its current condition is not a bargain. Over half of the greens had fungus and more sand than grass, many of the fairways were in horrible condition, and the undergrowth off of the fairways hasn’t been managed in a long time. Even though we haven’t had rain in a week or so they had a 90° rule, although the group in front of us was ignoring that and slowing down our pace of play tremendously. I won’t be going back.

Poor course

Writing this review, so that i do not go back to this course ever again. Greens were terrible. Need to put a lot more into this course. I recommend Charwood instead.

lousy greens n staff

the greens are terrible, the staff wants to treat you like a kid, for the price they charge they should work on their greens whuch have been terrible for the past 2 yrs,

Fast greens, good layout.

As a lot of recent reviews have mentioned, the greens were pretty quick and some of the fairways need some attention. The heat has really taken a toll on the greens and there were several bald spots of sand around the greens.

Staff was very friendly and for the price it isn’t bad. Other golfers/members were welcoming as well.

The front 9 is very scenic and I saw raccoons, deer, and rabbits along the water.

I would play again, but I would want to make sure that the course has had major improvements to the greens.

Not good

This course has had course condition issues for some time now (years). It would be nice if they would circle the really bad areas in the rough and fairways as ground under repair. I did notice they have new golf carts and they were off loading new maintenance equipment, so maybe, just maybe, the course will get better this year or the next. Hope it does because it is a challenging course without bad conditions.

Getting worse

I have played this course various times over the past couple of years and the fairways and greens are deteriorating at a rapid pace. The price is more than fair and I like the layout but not sure if I will play again until it improves.

I hope the owner can investigate in the course because it attracts a lot of players and can be a gem if some worse is done on upkeep and greens/fairways management.

Great design and layout not maintained at all

1 maybe 2 greens are playable. I wouldn’t recommend this course.

Gaston, South Carolina