Maples at Woodlake Country Club

Dress code: No Blue Jeans. Golf Shirt with Collar Required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Yellow (W) 72 5303 yards 71.6 130

"Do not bother"

SherryL's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/13/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Terrible conditions. You can tell this place is running out of funds. Score card was photocopied. Pro shop opened 1 hour late as we waited to be the first ones out for the day. They only have 16 golf carts. Weeds everywhere and tall grass in the fairways. The lake has dried up. This place has so much potential to be a nice course. Do not waste your time and money playing this course when there are so many others in the area in the same price range that are top quality.

"Extremely Disappointing"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/13/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

We had looked forward to playing a Palmer course along a lake. Great price too. We should have paid attention to the older reviews as this course has not improved in the least. We arrived at 6:45 for a 7:30 tee time and no one was there. I mean no one. We walked around the facility and could not believe how much dis repair the place was. The lake has been drained due to the dam being unsafe. The club house looks like it is falling apart, lots of rotting wood and in bad need of paint. The guy that opens showed up at about 7:20 and got us a cart. The pro shop as well as the club house was all but empty. Now to the course. The Maples course is closed. I doubt for renovations as they say. The Palmer course you can see is a great layout but in horrible condition. In bad need of mowing, fertilizer and weed killer. Greens were thread bare and in bad need of rolling.

If you get the chance to play here don't. It is a waste of your time and money. I'm not sure how many members they have but it can't be many.

"Greens Are Completely Gone"

plummks's avatar

Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

The greens on this course are completely gone. All grass is basically burned off. Hitting an approach is like trying to hit onto a pool table. You have no hope of staying on the green. With no grass, putting is very irregular and difficult. Save your money and play somewhere else.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"Terrible"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2015

Don't play here this course use to be beautiful, not so much anymore!

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"Horrible Condition"

Gordon4347375's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2015

Course is honestly in terrible condition. Greens are completely bare, often just leveled dirt or sand. Unkept fairways and tee boxes. No matter what price you get it for, spend your money elsewhere.

"Terrible Course"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2015

There was no grass on the greens. Greens were in terrible shape. I would not recommend this course to any one. Worst course I have ever played. It should not be listed on golf now.

Quality of food & beverage: Poor

"This Golf Course Should Be Condemned"

brucekendall's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2015
Previously played Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

This used to be a very nice golf facility with two above average golf courses, the older Maples course and the newer Palmer course. Unfortunately, time has not dealt kindly with either course. The Palmer course is closed to play and the Maples course should be, as well. It's in derelict condition. The greens are totally gone. The fairways are mainly crabgrass. The practice range looks like a neglected cow pasture.<br/> The only creatures enjoying the golf course are the geese that have taken over, There's goose excrement all over the place. If Stephen King were to write a novel about a golf course, Woodlake would be a great setting. It's like a ghost town, where once stood a decent course. By no means should this place be open to public play until ownership is settled and the proper upgrades have been made. Until such time my sole advice is to avoid this place like the plague. They couldn't pay me to play it again.

"Disheartning"

Jmblue's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/16/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

This course should and probably will be closed soon. Former owners let a beautiful golf community down.has been sold ,hope new owners bring this facility back. Until then do not play. Sorry

"STAY AWAY until they rebuild the greens and use a lawnmower"

Tranks6's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/08/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Played this Wednesday July 8th. From the start I should have realized something was wrong. There were open tee times throughout the day, not the usual for the area. When we got there, there were only a few cars in the lot, and no one in the clubhouse except the manager. The course is on the largest manmade lake in NC, and that became evident on the first 3 holes where we were swarmed by these mosquito-like nimphs. They don't bite, but there were thousands swarming us while we tried to play. We were told by a group we passed that they would be gone after the 3rd hole, and they were. But I wonder why the manager/pro shop person we paid to play didn't let us know about them?<br/> The course was another story. We found out after this course had need taken back by the bank and then the owner bought it back and wants to make it good again, but he should close it until that is done. Nothing was maintained, no first or second cuts, tee boxes were left to grow wild with huge ragweed patches through out. And the greens- ALL FUNGUSED. Check out my photo of the 17th green. They need to scrape them all off, treat with antibiotics, and reseed. It can be done in a season. Of course, the manager did not tell us any of this either. DO NOT even consider playing this. We played the Maples Course, and Ellis would be extremely disappointed they are still using his name to con people in to play this. We drove by the Palmer course, it is looked no better. STAY AWAY!

Course Difficulty:  Extremely Easy

"Unpleasant Surprize"

ssaunders's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/08/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I figured that a community with numerous $1 million homes would feature a decent pair of courses. No. This course is one step above "abandoned". Greens were heavily damaged and the fairways were flattened dead grass. Sand traps not maintained. The lack of cars there should have tipped me off. After my round I found out the course is bankrupt.

Quality of food & beverage: Poor

"Lakewood Golf Club and Resort"

AdrianLSides's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/14/2014

....Hmmmm. Where to begin?!?!. The drive in was very mis-leading, with high expections. After checking in, we were directed to the Palmer course with a pointing of the hand and "it's on the other side of the member's lounge". Good thing we were the only ones waiting to tee off, or we would held up the following group trying to find the tee box. There are no tee box markers to indicate or direct you towards the holes. Given the time year, you'd expect some rough spots on the fariways, which we had expected, but not this bad or rough. The first green was just beat up...Gave them the benefit of the doubt and figured the rest would be okay. NOPE, greens only got worse. After about about 5 holes and noticing that fairways and greens weren't getting any better, we sucked it up to experience and an 1 1/2 hour drive down to play, we just made the best of a bad situation. Don't get me wrong, the course setup and location, not to mention the views of the lakes were spectacular and awesome. The course will challenge both your long game and course management skills, but present conditions negates all of that.

Quality of food & beverage: Poor

"worst customer service ever! course was unplayable no rain check! glad they're bankrupt!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/26/2014

Terrible course was unplayable! Played half a hole and couldn't get a rain check. Staff was very rude! Glad they're in bankrubtcy!

Quality of food & beverage: Poor

"Worst course I have ever played"

Regf0urt33n's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/19/2014
First time playing Used cart

The Palmer course is the worst course I have ever played and the maples course is even worse. I would not play this course for free I was in a gap in the members.championship they were driving right up to the greens. In one case I saw someone putting from the cart that had two wheels on the green they were tire tracks all around the trees What does it tell you if the members have given up on the course the Greens turf was mixed grasses with lots of bare spots fairway grass is dead from over compaction of the soil all of the facilities were direly needing to maintained the driving range grass was three feet tall looked like it had not been mowed in several years.

Quality of food & beverage: Poor

"DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!"

gibhunt's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/11/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Excellent weather

This was once a very awesome course! The course in spots was so bad, I have seen better cow pastures in better shape. The layout of the course is awesome, but the conditions were very poor. Most of the fairways were already burnt or in very bad condition. This is a $20 course not a $40 dollar course. The course needs some serious TLC.

"Palmer course. Good layout, poor condition"

patriot1948's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 9/12/2013

Nice layout will challenge most golfers. Friendly staff. Unfortunately the course was in poor condition. Bentgrass greens had lots of bare spots and common bermuda growing in them. Traps had weeds growing in them, fairways were nearly burned out from lack of water, even though the summer was super wet. I hope somebody rescues this course soon!!

"I think they are going out of business."

hjfarrell's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 7/28/2013

Looked nice driving in. But then we got on the course. Didn't look like they had cut anything for a while. Greens were awful! Needed to go find bartender. And they check in clerk made me go get my printed confirmation from the car. Don't go to this course!

"Disapointed."

bynum013's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 7/20/2013

We played the Lake side previously and it was in good condition and well worth the cost but this side was not well maintained. No makers for any of the holes. The grass in the fairways had been cut sometime in the past week and left dried grass clumps everywhere even though the grass had weeds and wild grass throughout. The greens were solf with spots with no grass or wild grass.

"Great layout and challenging at times. Had a great time."

phelms70's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/20/2013

Recent rains and poor weather have made it difficult for the fairways to be properly mowed and maintained in certain places. Lost a couple of balls either in the fairway or just off the edge due to grounds crew being unable to keep fairways mowed properly and the edge being properly maintained. Would DEFINITELY play here again and the VALUE was excellent.

"We enjoyed the course very much but it is a little obvious that all the rain we have received this year took a toll."

Rdnash49's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 7/19/2013

Joe the gentleman in the pro shop was very gracious and helpful. It was disappointing that there was no half way house but the chef was very helpful and made sandwiches to go. They were not prepared to send you out with a cooler full of beer and water. Used ordinary plastic retail bags. After golf they were not set up to invite you to sit and have a Beer and watch golf. Overall though we had fun.

"This golf course it use to be beautiful and a great experience to anyone!"

ricangolfer50's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/07/2013

My girlfriend and I were very disappointed about the conditions of the Maples course at Woodlake. This is the worse conditions we have ever seen and experienced at what it used to be a great golf course. I know because I used to be a residents/club member of this great golf community and the golf courses were in pristine condition at all times back then but now we couldn't believed what our eyes were looking at on Sunday! First, never seen a plague of mosquitoes that big before in our lives and I am not exaggerating! This is to the point that we couldn't see the paint on the ball washer located on the tee box of hole number 2 because it was completely covered by mosquitoes and every time we stepped on the grass at number one and two they came up and attacked us and this is also happened while riding on the cart path we have been attacked by bunches of them even after we have sprayed ourselves, the whole cart and the bags with insect repellant we couldn't get rid of them! The maintenance of the course was horrible!!! The tee boxes and fairways were not cut down at all and the bunkers were looking like a bad dream in the desert. After the hole number two we couldn't take it anymore and went back and played the Palmer course which it wasn't in great shape either but better since we didn't have to fight a war against the mosquitoes and the grass wasn't as long! I really feel bad by writing this review because this is a great golf community from the cart attendants to the top of the chain and to its residents but I have to be honest:( Hope they can get these problems taken care of and get the courses back to standards! God Bless!