Smoky Mountain Country Club

Year Built 1996
Architect Thomas Walker

Scenic with a lot of fun

A little wet due to recent torrential rains but still very playable. Lots of elevation changes. 5th hole is a blast. Big downhill with a 200 ft cliff 150 yards from the green.

Lots of Elevation Changes

Beautiful course and a great layout. Being from south Louisiana, I don’t often get a chance to play a
course with this much elevation changes. It was challenging and a great experience. Looking forward to playing again in the future. Greens were a little bumpy from a recent aeration, but that’s to be expected this time of year. Great staff!

Too extreme to me

Although I played well, the course layout for me was not enjoyable. Just because one can build a golf course in a difficult location doesn't mean you should. A 9 hole course on the valley floor would have been better. The back 9 routing up and down the mountain on cart paths that switched back and forth continually was ridiculous. I don't know why pro shops fail to tell you they aerated the greens and put sand down before you pluck down your greens fee is beyond me. The greens were unplayable in my opinion. Constantly had to wipe sand off my ball and hands.

Fun as always

. I tried to play slow so I wouldn't be pushing the group ahead of me but caught myself waiting on a few holes. But with the views playing slow let me take some pictures and enjoy the mountains. I've played this course 3 or 4 times a year for the last 5 or 6 years. I could play another course in the area for free but I'd have to put up with not being treated very well so I chose to play this friendly course instead of playing a unfriendly course. Its worth the money.

Mountain Golf with Snowflakes (not liberals) it was cold.

Had fun but the wind was strong and we witnessed some snow for Mi-April.
Friendly staff.
Casino nearby and many attractions. Go ahead and make it a weekend golf trip with the family.

Beautiful course

My wife and I played a round recently and loved it. We are from Myrtle Beach and had to sneak in a round while visiting western NC. The course was beautiful and the elevation changes made it very challangeing. The staff was very friendly and we had a blast. Loved this beautiful mountain course!

Smokie Mountain Golf & Country Club is a winner!!

Staff was very friendly, course was in great shape and the weather was perfect. My friends and I have been playing this course once a year for the past 5 or 6 years. I would highly recommend this course. Not terribly long but challenging enough to make it lots of fun.

What a view

Course was pretty nice. Never played it before. Would definitely go back. Know where not to hit now. Rough is tough. Lots of blind down hill shots. Greens very small and putted good.

As a farmer, this is what I would call a cow pasture golf course

Course Conditions Need Some Work

"Mountain Golf" is an understatement ... don't even think about walking here! Some very interesting holes. Dramatic elevation changes. Greens & tee boxes in good shape. Green collars in poor condition on many holes. Rough very inconsistent, with heavy intrusion of weeds and undesirable grasses. Sand hazards OK, but need to be turned over and loosened up. Competent, helpful, friendly staff. Carts in good condition. Good value. With improved course maintenance this could easily be a 4 or 5 star rating.

Gem in the Smokies

Gorgeous scenery and a really fun mountain golf course. Bermuda fairways and Bentgrass greens in very fine condition. The pro shop staff was friendly and helpful. Great value for the price. I played with a member who told me that, under new course superintendent for the past 12 months, the course has never been in better condition. I will play Smoky Mountain again when I am next in the NC mountains.

Fun and challenging

We enjoyed a beautiful weekday out on this course. Fairways were in good shape but we spent a lot of time searching for balls in the tall grass off the fairways. The greens are in fair shape and smaller, without a lot of slope so i was made a bunch of up-and-downs. If you like elevations, this course has plenty of them with beautiful scenery to go along with it. My only negative is the back 9 is not marked out well enough for the distance between holes. Got lost once and turned around a couple times thinking we were.

Fun, fun, fun

Cannot say enough about how much fun we had playing this course. Course was not in the best of condition when we played, but I would go back in a heartbeat. If you're planning a trip to the Cherokee Casino and need a place to play you won't be dissatisfied. Great staff in the pro shop.

Worth the drive

We had a group of 4 foursomes for an annual golf trip that we take to a different area. If you're in the area, Smoky Mountain is worth it.

Some really fun mountain golf holes (shorter holes with a lot of bends, huge elevation changes). Hole 5 you will never forget.

Conditioning on a few holes isn't great -- but, trying to grow grass on the side of a hill isn't the easiest thing in the world.

Staff was great to us -- the pro gave us a few pointers, the restaurant had great food ready for us at the turn (we used the phone on Hole 8).

Sad Condition of what could be a beautiful course

It is obvious that at one time this was a beautiful course. Understand there is a new owner and new greenskeeper. Had looked at website, planned timing for lunch ( not open! ) ; planned to hit the range to warm up ( told that they had no balls! ); 1 employee there - not especially friendly when we walked in. He later became helpful to get us cups of water from the closed restaurant. Vistas are gorgeous and I really hope this course gets the attention it needs -- what potential!!! Recommend only due to vistas and hope for the future of this course & facilities.

Whittier, North Carolina
Tuckasegee, North Carolina
Cashiers, North Carolina
Glenville, North Carolina

Valid dates: May 10, 2020 - Jun 18, 2020
Every spring getaway should include the perfect mixture of lakeside recreation and 4-Star relaxation! The Tahoe Tap-in Stay & Play package offers a luxurious stay at Edgewood Tahoe Resort plus your choice of two rounds of golf with a cart at Lake Tahoe's only public lakefront golf course, two 50-minute treatments at the serene Spa Edgewood, or one of each for each night per reservation.