Bear Trace at Cumberland Mountain State Park

The Bear Trace at Cumberland Mountain
Nicklaus 72 6928 yards 74.0 141
Scorecard for Bear Trace At Cumberland Mountain
Gold M: 73.1/135 409 406 420 494 185 382 393 167 558 3414 449 525 325 466 165 515 212 407 450 3514 6928
Blue M: 71.4/130 362 370 398 473 158 350 371 139 540 3161 421 490 305 439 140 495 176 370 433 3269 6430
White M: 68.9/128 W: 74.1/136 318 312 362 459 145 332 340 114 505 2887 389 453 289 378 128 477 160 353 401 3028 5915
Red W: 69.9/126 284 302 294 419 135 303 302 88 497 2624 287 383 239 333 103 383 124 275 315 2442 5066

Year Built 1998
Architect Jack Nicklaus (1998) Wadsworth Golf Construction (1998)

Has gotten worse each time I play!!!!-

This is probably the 5th or 6th time I have played here. Each time course conditions are worse and worse. Greens are pry the best part of course and they are not fantastic just good. Fairways don't seem to get mowed or maybe its just when I play. Also some fairways are spotty. Rough is very very rough I mean if it was a pga tour event they would complain. It had to be at least 4-5 inches tall and grass clipping clods everywhere. I mean there are such things as dragging rakes. Sand traps were absolutely horrible!!! I mean rocky and untouched not turned or raked or anything. Tee boxes needed mowed. Practice tee area was horrible, not mowed and just divot filled. Carts are good. People were nice. Price is far too expensive for course conditions. Pro shop is basically filled with everything that has their name on it which is not cheap. All in all I was expecting things to be better then last time I played here and the fly were worse. I truly hope something happens at this course and things get better because it seems to me they are about making money and not putting it back into the course which is deteriorating. Cant believe Jack allows his name to be associated with such a mediocre course.

Golden bear

Coarse faired well due to all the rain they had and overall was good ,hey fellow golfers fix your ball marks on the greens it's not that hard these guys knock themselves out trying to give us good conditions due your part . One of my favorites to play

Nice course crossville

Met some friends from Knoxville and had a great round. Will make the trip again asap.

Great Nicklaus layout

My wife and I played the Bear Trace for the first time in early August. The layout of the course was very interesting. As first time players we had to drive ahead to see the hole. Could use visuals of each hole by the tee boxes. The greens were in good condition and rolled true. The fairways were a bit spotty and didn't have enough yardages on sprinklers etc. the grass is different than most courses in the Midwest which made chipping tougher for me. All in all this t was a fun course and I would recommend it.

Course is in great shape

The course is well maintained and greens were in good shape. The layout provided some good challenges, particularly if you were in the rough. Lots of trees and some good elevation changes on a few holes. I would definitely play again.

Great Course!

Really enjoyed playing here. The course is excellent. Scenery is beautiful. Very challenging layout with lots of elevation changes. Brung your A game if you want to score well. Everyone at the course was very friendly and helpful. Thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Bear Trace Cumberland

Course in great shape. Rough is high so take your medicine and don't try to play long irons out of it unless your ball is sitting up. Greens have mixture of grass, hard to read., faster than most, but relatively soft for iron play into them. Fairways in great shape. Bunkers need some work but ok. Fun course.

Great course... Great layout.

Really love playing this course. It really has a beautiful secluded feel. From the Range to the 18th Green, the course was in great shape (with the exception of 4-5 bunkers but the area had just had a lot of rain fall). We were the second group to go off and we were a twosome. We finished our round in 3 hours 15 minutes.

Prepared to be Backed Up

The course was extremely crowded. Sat waiting on every tee box for the group of men in front of us to play. Sat and watched them not hit a ball or do anything for 8-10 min. Overall beautiful course with a friendly staff. Love the fact they give you a small range bag to hit before you tee off. Really cool touch.

A beautiful setting

I thoroughly enjoyed Bear Trace. It was early season and not long after airifacation but the course was in good shape and well maintained. A very nice layout that is playable yet challenging. I play quite a few courses and this was a pleasure. I recommend Bear Trace. You will enjoy it.

Very Poor Condition

DO NOT waste your time and money. This course could have been good at one point, but the conditions of every part of the course are not worth playing. I know it is near the end of the season, and Tennessee needs rain - but those are not excuses for such awful conditions and unhelpful staff. Then when wanting to get food at the turn they were out of everything except lunch meat sandwiches and a three beer options. Their excuse was, "We're going to close in two weeks and if we order anymore food it might spoil." I'm sure the Nicklaus organization would be sad to see the conditions and lazy staff. Please find another place to play, this one just isn't worth it.

Been playing here since course opened. Our golf trip wouldn't be complete without playing here. Greatest course design and very challenging

Out in Nature

A dramatic change with no homes on the course. An interesting layout, not many golfers. Greens need some work. I would recommend as a good instructional course with interesting challenges.

The course that day was cart path only and boy what a walk !.

Great!

Great layout and beautiful course. Greens were a little bumpy. Over all top notch! Would play again for sure!

5 1/2 Hour Round - Tortuous

Teed off 11:30; walked off 18th green exactly 5 pm -- not a ranger in site all day. Hole #2 had 4 groups stacked up. Seems a large men's group had bottlenecked the course -- lots of empty beer cans in each tee box trash receptacle. Also lots of yelling to each other between fairways. How do these people not learn or care about golf etiquette and culture? Except for these issues -- we love the course. Always plays tough. The rough was high making off-fairway shots difficult to find -- ball settled deeply. Faicilities are very good -- only item to be made better is the strong, persistent urine smell in Men's bathroom -- seems to be soaked in floor tiles. Lesson learned from this trip -- get early tee time and check whether large groups are scheduled.

Worth the Trip

My son and I played an early round here. We drove over from a resort nearby and both agreed this was the best course we played the week we were in Crossville. It starts with the greens, they are difficult but rolled fast and true, we loved them. There was great variety to the holes and good shots are rewarded while poor shots are punished. There is enough course here for any golfer, just pick a tee deck! This course is a great value for juniors!!

Cumberland Mountain gem! Come and play!

A++++ we love this course! It is always very well maintained, the staff are welcoming and very friendly and most times remember us by name or recognize us as frequent golfers! We played on a busy Friday and the pace of play was good considering the amount of golfers on the course. The ranger did a great job of keeping things moving.

Crossville, Tennessee