2.6

Dress code Appropriate golf attire

Snacks

Clubhouse

PRICE TO HIGH

Course beautiful lay out fairways grass great shape love the course only reason I gave a low rating is the price is to high they are alot of other course just as good if not better around this area then you $67 than I had to pay Bear Trace
Lake Tanzi River Watch Fall Creek Falls

Don't Let the Length Fool You

Golf may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Tennessee, especially the small town of Crossville on the eastern side of the state. Crossville is known as the “Golf Capital of Tennessee,” with no less than 10 championship golf courses in the Cumberland County area.

Five of the area’s best courses are located in Fairfield Glade, a resort and retirement community located just north of I-40. About 8,300 residents call Fairfield Glade home; it’s situated on the Cumberland Plateau, between Nashville and Knoxville. Fairfield Glade is popular for “halfbacks,” retirees who moved from somewhere up north as far south as Florida and are now moving halfway back to be within easy driving distance of family and friends. Consequently, you’ll find a lot of people originally from Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana here. The area is blessed with four mild seasons and golf can be played year-round. No state income tax, low property taxes, and an overall low cost of living only add to the attraction of residing in the area.

If you haven’t been out to Fairfield Glade in a while, you may notice several differences. There’s now a clubhouse at Dorchester; it opened in 2015. Likewise, there have been some major renovations at Stonehenge, primarily at the grill and pro shop and a new maintenance building was added in 2018. The two courses at Heatherhurst and Stonehenge have all undergone extensive bunker renovation and now feature Better Billy Bunkers, considered by many to be the best bunker construction in the world.

The five courses at Fairfield Glade play out of 4 clubhouses, each with its own practice facility. Three of the four facilities have short game practice areas complete with bunkers. As if that’s not enough, There’s a TrackMan simulator in the Fairfield Glade Community Center where you can play any number of courses from around the world or sign up to take a golf lesson on it.

There are two courses at Heatherhurst, the Crag, and the Brae. The facility was built in stages; the front nine of the Crag opened in 1989 and the back nine opened in 2000. In 1991 the 3rd nine was completed and from 1991 – 2000 Heatherhurst was a 27-hole facility. In 2000, another 9 was added and this now 36-hole facility had two separate and distinct 18-hole championship courses: The Crag and The Brae.

Many consider the Crag the easier of the two, probably because it plays a lot shorter. That being said, the Crag course is as beautiful as it is challenging, especially when you get to the back nine. There are significant elevation changes and a range finder with a slope feature is a good asset to have, unless you’re playing in a tournament, where it may be frowned upon! Many fairways are wide open off the tee and since the holes aren’t extremely long – a few of the par 5s are reachable in two with a good drive. The emphasis is on your approach shot if you want to score well. One of the more memorable holes on the Crag layout is Number 17. This short par 4 is the course’s signature hole and is the most scenic hole on the course, if not the entire property. Stand on the overlook behind the tee box and you’ll see what I mean. The Crag course was designed by Gary Roger Baird and opened in 1989.

Golf’s not the only thing Fairfield Glade has to offer its residents. There are two full-service marinas and a racquet sports center complete with clay courts, indoor tennis, and pickleball courts. Fairfield Glade has also been blessed with mile after mile of hiking trails.

Springtime is the prime golf season in Tennessee and Fairfield Glade is the place to be for visitors from all over the area. There are a few reasons for this, the biggest being the fantastic golf that can be played within the community. Five beautiful and challenging courses in one location! The second could very well be the weather, with an average temperature of 59 degrees in March and 69 degrees in April.

Fairfield Glade is a golfer’s paradise and with five spectacular golf courses, you can easily make a week of it. Depending on the time of year, many homes in the community can be rented by the month, giving you plenty of time to learn the lay of the land and fall in love with the community. If you prefer to stay off-property, there are several well-known hotel chains in the area. A third option is a Club Wyndham timeshare, available through Extraholidays.com. These units come fully furnished and are available with 1 – 4 bedrooms; perfect for a couples golf getaway or a foursome with the guys – or gals! Several golf packaging companies have put together some tremendous Fairfield Glade stay and play packages; you can book through Fairfield Glade or one of several area golf packagers.

Golfers in the midwestern states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, and Illinois have several golf travel alternatives for their golf vacations. Fairfield Glade and the plateau area of Tennessee has a lot to offer when compared to alternatives such as Myrtle, Beach, Hilton Head or Savannah, GA. It’s a lot easier of a drive – less than an hour from where I-75 splits with I-40 outside Knoxville – and a lot friendlier on the wallet. You don’t have to travel far to get a good meal either, whether you’re looking for a quick bite at the course or dinner and drinks after your round. Each clubhouse has a snack bar with the usual at-the-turn necessities or you can have a nice sit-down meal at the Stonehenge Grille or Legends, located in the Druid Hills clubhouse.

Fairfield Glade wants everyone to know that after 50 years the community is still thriving and continues to invest in all of their golf courses. If you haven’t visited them in a while, it’s time to come back and experience everything they have to offer, During your visit to Fairfield Glade, you’ll have scenic views of the surrounding mountains, good changes in elevation, and access to five golf courses that offer tremendous challenge and beauty. In short, it’s a golf vacation you’ll remember for a long time.

Worst experience I've ever had

The staff was unbelievably rude. I've never had such poor customer service in my life. There are too many other courses in Crossville that are much nicer that you can go to and not have to deal with a rude staff. Our group of four was playing a little slower that the group behind us. So, we showed proper ediquit and let them play through. We were playing no more than 20 minutes behind the posted pace schedule. So, they made us skip hole ten (which is the nicest hole). After the round, I spoke to the manager and he would not let us play the hole or refund any money for the hole that we didn't get to play. So, we paid for 18 holes of golf and they only let us play 17. I have been playing golf my entire life and have never had anyone make you skip a hole. I will never play heatherhurst again, and I strongly recommend that you don't waste your time playing it either. Go to a nicer course and have fun! After all, that is what golf is all about.

TERRIBLE MANAGEMENT. Worst golf experience of my life.

Worst customer service ever. If you want a nice leisure game of golf, not the place. They have a 4hr and 15min max pace of play. If you are over that by 15 minutes, they will make you skip holes. They are really mean about it... We let 1 group play through us because they were playing really fast and we got really chewed out on the first experience. They made us skip the signature hole 10th when we were 20 minutes behind. I went in to the pro shop and they were even meaner than on the course. The manager was the meanest. I asked them if there was anything they could do since we paid for 18 and were kicked off of a hole for being 15 minutes late. He said, "Short answer is, No". There was one lady that we talked to that was super nice. Everyone else was extremely rude. We played Cumberland and Stonehenge and they were both a really nice staff. If you want a pleasant round where you can enjoy the course, this is the last place I would go. It's in nice shape but we couldn't enjoy it at all... Literally running to our balls and still got kicked off. I've been playing golf for 13+ years and haven't seen anything close to that. I've actually never seen that bad of customer service ever in any place. It is clear that they want to get as many golfers through as possible. They don't care at all if you enjoy your game.

TERRIBLE MANAGEMENT. Worst Golf experience in my life.

Worst customer service ever. If you want a nice leisure game of golf, not the place. They have a 4hr and 15min max pace of play. If you are over that by 15 minutes, they will make you skip holes. They are really mean about it... We let 1 group play through us because they were playing really fast and we got really chewed out on the first experience. They made us skip the signature hole 10th when we were 20 minutes behind. I went in to the pro shop and they were even meaner than on the course. The manager was the meanest. I asked them if there was anything they could do since we paid for 18 and were kicked off of a hole for being 15 minutes late. He said, "Short answer is, No". There was one lady that we talked to that was super nice. Everyone else was extremely rude. We played Cumberland and Stonehenge and they were both a really nice staff. If you want a pleasant round where you can enjoy the course, this is the last place I would go. It's in nice shape but we couldn't enjoy it at all... Literally running to our balls and still got kicked off. I've been playing golf for 13+ years and haven't seen anything close to that. I've actually never seen that bad of customer service ever in any place. They are clearly just trying to get as many people through as possible and couldn't care less if you have a good time. We ended with a 4 hr and 45 minute round and they said we ruined the day for everyone even though there was nobody behind us. They give golf a bad name. The other courses in Crossville are a much better value. Go to Cumberland Mountain and enjoy your round.

Fairly Short but Testy

There are a couple of good golf holes on this course and with a good drive you are in good position to score well. OB is close tho. The fairways and greens were in great shape.

Nice Fairways & Greens but loading up stinks...

Boy if they only used zoyzia on all there courses....what a treat.....Greens putted well.....my issue with all the Fairfield Glade properties is.....You cannot move a single golf cart until its exactly your time to start....you must either use the bag drop.....or schlep all your clubs and stuff to the cart....yep cart guys but nobody loads clubs for even women.....No wonder why EVERYONE who lives here uses carry bags.....No so impressed with a half assed way of running clubs that are either 4 star or 4 1/2 star clubs......

Good not Great

I played Heatherhurst Brae with a friend on a Sunday afternoon. It did not appear to be busy but we were paired with another twosome. Did not bother us but I know for some this can be an issue. The practice facilities were very nice and I always consider it a plus when a course has a nice short game chipping and putting area which this place did. The course was in great shape visually. It has Zoysia fairways which is unique to the other Fairfield courses. The greens looked great but they were a little slow for bent grass this time of year. The Layout just did not fit me personally. It’s a very very short course with out of bounds everywhere. Lots of doglegs with OB. Not a difficult course other than the fact your gonna find yourself hitting 3 from the tee box a couple of times. Number 10 is a beautiful golf hole. Overall this is a good course I would recommend just bring a few extra ball because OB is lurking everywhere.

Tennessee Advisor

Another short layout at Fairfield Glades...with foursomes going off at 1 & 10. WTF!

This was the second course I played over a weekend at Fairfield Glades. This was another annoying short course (see my review on Druid Hills) with the tips at 6171y. When I played I had a foursome with me, a married couple, and an 90 year old senior. Playing from 4 tee boxes was itself a trial. But what really surprised me was the course sending off foursomes in the morning from #1 and #10. I was in the first group off of #10 so the front side was completed without anyone slowing us down ahead. But it still too over 2.5 hours to finish 9. Then at the turn, we had one free hole and then we caught up to the groups who went off the other half. It took us 3 hours to finish that 9. In all, a 5.5 hour round. Add to that, another annoyingly sort course and you have a very frustrating day.

The course itself is in fine condition but who can enjoy the layout with such a long round. My overall impression of laying two Fairfield Glades courses over two days is that the locale is best suited for seniors and those who don't mind waiting on every shot. If you are a low handicap player, find another place to play.

Good course

Central tee times is very difficult to deal with all the time in order to play here. Great course. But gets a lot of play

Always is great shape

This course, like the rest of the Fairfield Glade courses, is always in great shape. They take special care of their courses from tee to green. I also love playing here because they employee numerous marshals who keep the pace up play moving. You could play on a Saturday with a foursome on every hole and you will still finish in under 4 1/2 hours. Wonderful course in a great area.

Beautiful and well maintained. No complaints here!

Great course! Absolutely immaculate greens. I would definitly play again.

Rockwood, Tennessee
Monterey, Tennessee
Harriman, Tennessee

Valid dates: Jun 06, 2017 - Jun 30, 2020
Let The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee create unforgettable Georgia vacations with packages that deliver adventure-filled weekend getaways, unrivaled golf outings or romantic escapes with your significant other.