2.3
2.4

Type Public/Municipal

East Nashville's Shelby Golf Course is historic, opening way back in 1924, making it Nashville's first municipal golf course, and it's a beauty, offering 18 holes of golf over rolling hills on a good-looking landscape in the beautiful confines of Shelby Park. Bermuda Tif Dwarf greens became a part of the golf course in 2006, and golfers of all levels will be able to golf a round on this golf course, which has hosted the School Days Junior Golf Tournament, Tennessee's longest-running golf tournament.

The par-72 Shelby Golf Course measures 6,079 yards from the Blue tees, though ladies have the option of playing to 4,873 yards on the Red tees. A round of golf kicks off on a par-4 hole that comes in at 345 yards from the Blue tee. The long hole here is 16th, a par-5 that measures 528 yards from the Blue tee.

A round of golf on the Shelby Golf Course concludes on a par-4 hole that measures 364 yards from the Blue tee.

Shelby Golf Course

Year Built 1924
Greens Bermuda Tif Dwarf Grass
Architect George Livingston Donald Ross (1924)

Dress code Appropriate golf attire is required. Tank tops, cut offs, tattered clothing, and halter-tops are not allowed.

Nostalgic Gem in East Nasty

Shelby is the first golf course I remember from early childhood. Sixty years ago we had church picnics in Shelby Park located uber close to downtown. I was curious about the men walking and talking on the beautiful grass carrying bags of golf clubs.
Fast forward 50 years I joined a group playing the Metro public courses on a rotating basis. I feel glad when we play Shelby, with its hilly and tight front nine and its hilly and long back nine. I usually walk 9 holes with a push cart for exercise or ride 18 because of the hills and valleys. Lots of blind tee shots. Love the friendly staff. Unbeatable low greens fees. Love the millenial golfers who have gentrified East Nashville and taken up the greatest game, bringing Shelby back to life!

Short & Quirky Fun

Hilly venue with hidden dog legs and tiny greens. A little scruffy, so you a likely to lose an errant ball in the rough, but never fear, you’ll probably find one from the foursome ahead of you. Best played when paired with a local who can point the way, just keep your hand on your wallet. It’s a fun afternoon at the Park & the staff keeps it that way. Enjoy!

Hilly course

Very hilly golf course. Some blind shots. Yardage on course not very well marked.

Pace of play is awful!

I've always liked this course, it's short and gives players a chance to focus on accuracy and scoring. Without a lot of in town courses it's always packed on the weekend. Just as I was about to tee off the guy runs out and pairs me with another group, which sucks but it's expected. My main problem was the pace of play and the lack of a ranger. At one point my threesome was roasting on a tee box for 10 minutes and we had 5 groups on two holes. I know these courses accommodate less skilled players but it should not take 5 hours to play a short muni, Hopefully they get a ranger for the weekends.

Good Value

First time playing this course, and I definitely will be back. For $30 for 18 holes and a cart you can’t get much better. Some of the holes are very oddly set-up. Most of the greens are a little overgrown and need to be repaired, but I was overall pleased with the course’s condition. The elevation on some holes are pretty extreme, and there are many blind tee shots. I had a good time playing this course as an average golfer and was challenged by the layout. Overall, a good deal for 18 holes!

Fair

Course was poorly maintained, greens and tee boxes in bad shape. It is a short course so can drive many holes. Staff was very nice. For a cheap course and so close to downtown ca be fun to just get out. Wont play again though.

Old course small greens

This course has an interesting layout- tight fairways in some areas and wide open in others. As usual with these old courses, the greens are the size of postage stamps but still very challenging. The course will be great in another 2-4 week. Right now lots of dormant grass and broken branch pieces to play through.

Disappointing

The weather was perfect for February so me and two friends decided to play in town when we would normal travel outside Nashville to play. Nashville munis have a reputation for being well maintained but expensive. This time Shelby was only the later. Most courses will give you free range balls or a discounted rate for having winter or temporary greens. Shelby not only did not give us a discount for having all winter greens, they did not even notify us at all. My friends would have rather not paid 30.00 to play on winter greens. Also, these courses stack way too many groups up and the pace is atrocious. On the back nine we waited 10 minutes just to get on a tee box. After 30 minutes to complete one hole the ranger finally showed up and we informed him that the group two groups ahead were dragging. No water anywhere on the course, only two washers with water in them and no score cards available. Overall just a real disappointment for the price.

Poor customer service

Daniel had very poor customer service. Charged me 12$ to go early on an empty course. Very poor customer service!

Expensive concessions

The course was ok not knowing the area and randomly booking close to where I stayed. Greens were all in good shape.

My issue, and probably my fault, I paid $28 for the round through GolfNow. I then added a Monster drink and turkey sandwich, my new price was $39.90. So, $11.90 for these 2 items.

Public golf as it should be

Short course with hilly terrain and small greens makes for both challenge and fun. I’m a member of a Troon managed private club and wish my course were in as good condition as this one. It helps to play with someone who knows the course because blind tee shots and severe elevation changes can be challenging. There’s no posh clubhouse to celebrate your round, but the course is in the middle of Nashville’s trendy East end, so there are plenty of local spots to visit and hoist an IPA.

Fun course , many different challenges

One thing I like about booking a round on golf now is meeting different folks and enjoying a common passion. The golf course has been in very good shape the last two times I’ve played and the staff could not be friendlier and also accommodating. Blessings

Overall good

Course is well maintained. Some sections are dry as are most courses in this area. Course is narrow and bad shots will cost you. Overall good would play again.

Great course, great staff... am playing again soon

Rude management

Looks like a fun course but I wont be back to find out. The management and staff were unacceptabley rude, and left without playing. I was not the only one with issues with the staff.

Enjoyed Shelby!

My husband and I have played this course several times and are enjoying it more each time. Very good value for the money.

4.1119411765

Valid dates: Nov 01, 2019 - Feb 29, 2020
Back at Kiawah Island Golf Resort for a limited time, the Golf or Gourmet Escape is a perfect opportunity to pursue your passion for the game and experience this premier resort's pristine championship courses.