1.9

Par 5 4 5 3 4 4 4 4 3 36 36

Year Built 1951
Fairways 419 Bermuda Grass
Greens Mini Verde Grass
Architect Rob Collins (2011) Tad King (2011)

9-Hole Rounds 8

Gorgeous is all I can say!

This course is absolutely gorgeous. Me and my buddies played 36 and loved every minute of it. Never mind that the off course amenities are lacking. We came there for the golf and weren't disappointed. Pack a lunch and play all day! Would drive the 1hr45min any time. The only negative was when we were leaving, the shack boy told us to clean out our carts. Huh?
Staff Friendliness Fair
Pace of Play Good

Unique, beautiful course!

First impression was not good! I’d seen the online ad with beautiful pictures of each hole! We arrived to a most unfriendly young man sitting on the porch of the “golf shack”. I asked where the putting green was.. he laughed.. and pointed to a circle of grass about 10’ in diameter with one hole! He told us to grab a cart that was parked next to the building. It had old used cigarette butts inthe ball holder and the whole cart was full of cobwebs. When I asked for a scorecard, he said there was one on the cart... failed to mention it was a used card. He did give me a new card when I asked. The only restroom is a porta potty by the first tee... only one on the course! There are no yardage markers, nor any water on the course! It was 90 degrees and not one of the three water jugs on the course had any water! There are no rakes in the traps.... and no map on the scorecard or tee marker maps! The course, especially greens were beautiful! Just too bad they don’t take the extra step and add a few basic things to make the experience enjoyable!! Glad we played but won’t be back!
Staff Friendliness Poor
Pace of Play Good
Value for the Money Average

This place is awesome

This is pure golf - an absolute treat if you love the game. No fancy club house, no driving range, no practice green - just 9 of the best holes of golf you will ever play. It is a thinking mans golf course where every hole gives you multiple options off the tee and then coming into the green. Don't play just 9. Plan to play at least 18 and you will not be disappointed. Great course for kids or players who don't hit it far because there are no forced carries and always options for coming into the green. I'm a 2 handicap and found it to be a great test of golf. Beautiful views, beautiful course, and a layout you won't forget. As a kicker, the staff is super-friendly, including club owner Rob.
Course Conditions Good

Hidden Gem - Highly Recommended

Great hidden course with very challenging greens. Pros: - Layout - Course condition - Pace of play - Cost Cons: - Need more yardage markers - Need to have SkyGolf/SkyCaddie map the course with GPS - Wish it was 18 holes - No practice/warm-up areas of any kind

Awesome Nine Hole Course

The course is fantastic from start to finish. Every hole requires thought and strategy to play properly and score well. The greens are all fantastic, having significant undulation changes.
Off-course amenities Average

Amazing Place

So much fun to play! Great design for all skill levels to enjoy. Amazing to see the before and after pictures of this redesign. If you have a chance gooooo play this track.
Off-course amenities Average
Birmingham Advisor

South Pittsburghurst

The Pinehurst/Southern Pines, N.C. areas has become one of my favorite golf destinations, particularly in the colder months. After reading about Sweetens Cove and seeing pictures online, I knew I needed to make the two-hour drive and come see this place for myself. I have not encountered a course so similar to those of the North Carolina sandbelt. I did not know the course that existed here before, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it must have been a monumental change. The ownership pours the money into the golf course, not amenities, and I am totally fine with that. There is no paved parking lot. No driving range. No practice green. The only restroom is a Port-a-John near the first tee. Something resembling a snack shack usually located at the turn serves as the clubhouse. And this is what is so striking about this place - the contrast between the golf course and everything else. I knew I would like the place while perusing the back of the scorecard before teeing off, which reads: "USGA Rules of Golf govern play at all times. Replace divots. Repair ball marks. Smooth sand before exiting hazards. Enter and exit all hazards at their shallowest points. With respect to all other matters, common sense shall be exercised." It is rare to be able to play some of the green-side shots required here in a non-links environment, but you will. The variety of the holes are quite good. The par-3 4th's green is 20,000 square feet. The pin placements on this serpentine green are endless and it is quite a sight. I have had the good fortune of playing several Biarritz greens in my life, but all have been on par 3s. The 8th hole is a par 4 with a Biarritz green that has a four-foot swale dividing it. The 9th is the best par-3 finishing hole I've ever encountered. It's not quite a true redan hole, but it is so wide that you can truly play a sweeping right to left shot that will roll nearly 50 yards. The cape-style 6th is a monster that is the hardest hole on the course in my opinion. Hard par, easy bogey. I rarely walk and play anymore, but chose to do so here and I'm glad I did. It is an easy walk with little to no elevation change. Finally, I went with the intention of just playing nine, but quickly changed my mind midway through the first 9. Course knowledge of seeing it once around was worth three strokes. I will definitely be back.
Pace of Play Average
Course Conditions Good
Course Layout Excellent

The most fun you will have on a golf course

This is the most fun you will ever have on the golf course! The course conditioning was perfect, playing firm and fast similar to Irish links. And what can I say about the greens beside WOW! The strategic contouring allows for many creative shots to be played into, and on the greens. The greens are wildly entertaining, similar to the famous Tom Doak designed green complexes at Ballyneal. An absolute design genius by Rob Collins...kudos! This is the most fun you will ever have putting. The course is perfectly conditioned, with fabulous scenery. It's almost like your playing an ocean side course, but better and at the foothills of the mountains. Great layout, fair course, amazing scenery, and just a pleasure to play. If I lived local, Sweetens Cove would instantaneously have one more member. Please do yourself a favor and play this course as soon as possible, it is a once in a lifetime experience. Also an enjoyable walk.

It's a must

This golf course is something really special. If you ever get a chance to play.....do it. You will not be disappointed.

Very Undulating Greens - Very Unique Course

I first drove by this course a few years ago and saw it was clearly under construction, so when I had an opportunity to play it, I read the reviews on here and decided to give it a try. It's one of the most unique courses I've ever played, with the Australian sand belt look. I would rate this course as enjoyable, but the huge flaw to me were the extremely undulating greens. I realize what they were trying to do here with sectioning the greens, a great idea, but they way overdid it. Had the undulations been reduced to what I would consider reasonable, this would truly be a great course and I would have given it 5 stars. Having said that, the greens are NOT unfair, just overdone.
Value for the Money Good