2.6
2.2
2.2

Type Public/Municipal

Champions Golf Course, designed by Robert Trent Jones, features rolling fairways, mature trees, demanding doglegs, undulating greens and hilly terrain. The golf course opened in 1948.

The 18-hole, par-70 Champions course measures 6,536 yards from the back tees. It carries a rating of 70.8, with a slope of 125.

Champions Golf Course

Year Built 1948
Architect Robert Trent Jones, Sr. (1948)

Dress code No denim, collared shirt and bermuda shorts required

Ruined a perfect Saturday

We got to the course about 30 minutes before our tee time and there were 12 groups stacked up on 1 tee box waiting to tee off. They were running about 30 minutes behind on when getting people off. They did not have carts available for us even tho we paid for 18 and a cart. They were letting groups of 8 play together and even when they were notified they didn’t do anything. Terrible experience, wound never come back

Dont judge a book...

Okay, not going to lie...when I drove into the parking lot I thought I had made a mistake choosing this course. Lots of construction going on (found out later it's for new clubhouse) and old, outdated facility. But things got better...
Range was ok...tee needed to be mowed, putting green and chipping green were in great shape. Some tee boxes are rough. Most fairways and greens are in good shape. Greens run about a 8 or 9.
Layout is SICK. Great old-school, RTJ design. Was told they are shutting course down in Sept to redo all tee boxes, finish clubhouse/ parking lot, and overall improvements. Will definitely be back to play it again.

Another RTJ gem

We were visiting Columbus for my wife’s birthday and she wanted to play a round. We located Champions Golf Course a few miles from our hotel and booked a time. Having played other RTJ courses in the past, the initial impression was not ideal. No elaborate clubhouse and evidence of construction led to a severe drop in expectations. Boy we’re we fooled! We checked in, the clubhouse staff was friendly. Hit a few range balls before our tee time and proceeded to the first tee. The starter asked if we had played there before and we said no where he proceeded to give a very enthusiastic welcome and told us of some hole characteristics to prepare for and off we went. From the first hole to the last it was a classic RTJ design reminiscent of the other RTJ courses we had played. The greens were impeccable and quick but true rolling. With the exception of a couple of fairways, which appeared to be recovering from water log in patches, were as plush as any we had played. The forward tees also provided a very adequate advantage for my wife, who is a fairly new player. There was a group in front of us that were a bit slow, but we and the groups behind us adjusted our pace to match so that waiting was minimal. All in all a great experience at a very nice old course. We highly recommend this course if you’re in the area.

Robert Trent Jones

Played the Blue Tees at 6,222 yards. A great course to walk to enjoy the scenery and tree lined fairways. Shaping the ball off the tee left and right is required. Rough was a little US Open like so hitting the fairway is a must. Greens were excellent. They were fast and held a good shot in. Highly recommend playing if you haven’t.

Good place to play

An old style course in very nice shape the day I played.
Greens were lightning fast, tee boxes in good shape, all other green areas well kept.

Robert Trent Jones gem

One of my favorite courses in Columbus. A few odd holes but for the most part an interesting fun layout with lots of personality. Some of the bunkers have been sanded this year and others are basically mud and dirt. I’m sure they can only do some many each year since it’s a city course on a strict budget.

Greens Had just been aerated so putting was worthless, but it’s that time of year. It also was still wet from the 4 inches of rain we got a number of days prior and it was cart path only without any notice. There was no notice of the aeration either. Irritating and unprofessional to not give notice.

I have bad knees and a bad hip and I would NEVER book a round knowing a course was cart path only. Probably would have been just as easy to try and walk.

I like the course very much but I will say you should always call before booking if there has been any recent rain. It holds water like no course I’ve ever seen and it is cart path only A LOT.

Course was closed, didn't call, and i was charged a convienance fee even though we showed up to play, and course was closed. no refund was offered, nor were we informed prior to driving 1hr that the course was closed.

brilliant day!

tee time at 12 18 and no one else around. We loved it! fairways and greens in excellent condition, challenging topography, very friendly drink cart and restaurant staff. Had a wonderful day.

Starter

Like all courses, they try to save money by not having a starter. Then you have twosomes and singles holding up the play when they should have been paired together. I have seen this a lot lately and with golf courses having such a tough time, this is the one place that they should not cut. Offer free golf to a retired person to be the starter is what most courses do.

Champions

I got to play Champions Golf Course Sunday and was very impressed. The course layout is cool and looked great. The greens were aerrated recently, so they were still bumpy, but that was the only thing a bit off. I'll go back again for sure.

Commented on 10/22/2017

If you are going to bother to post an extremly negative review could you please be bothered to provide details on why you apparently had a terrible experience. I play the course regularly and I find it to be an excellent traditional style golf course. Robert Trent Jones Knew what he was doing.

Golfnow booking

Be careful the staff checking you in tries to collect despite a prepaid booking from golfnow

An average course

It's an average course. Definitely not worth $50 a round.

Convenient Challenge

We've played this course a few times, it's always a fun challenge. The day we played there was some confusion as we were able to book a tee time right before a shotgun outing was teeing off. We were fine with it, but the staff seemed annoyed we were signed up to play. We called for our tee time that morning, so it should have been on them to correct and adjust. As a result we felt a little rushed on the first few holes but settled down once we offered the two-some to play through.

Commented on 04/17/2016

The staff at Champions is annoyed no matter what!

Nice

Nice course, felt a little rushed from the group behind us but no fault of the course would play again for sure! Nice fairways and greens enjoyed our day

Valid dates: Oct 10, 2019 - Oct 31, 2019
Golf Package Special for October starts at $199.00 for 1 or 2 golfers, Monday to Thursday. Golf included for each nights stay. Call 520-577-4092 to add additional golfers to the package.