Style Parkland

Formerly knwon as Briarcrest Country Club.

City Course at The Phillips Event Center

Year Built 1971
Fairways Tifway 419 Bermuda Grass
Greens Champion Dwarf Bermuda Grass
Architect Marvin Ferguson (1971) Derrell Witt

Golf Simulator Yes

Dress code Collared shirts or mock turtleneck golf shirts; Shirts must be tucked in at all times; Lady golfers shall wear hemmed golf slacks, hemmed golf shorts or skirts with proper golf tops

Good pace of play

Was able to play quickly with limited interruptions.

Slow play by one group

This is a nice course that one can typically play quickly during the day. However, if you get stuck behind a senior group of 5 men and they won't let anyone play through, it can slow down. These guys played so slow, it took 15 minutes between shots for the final 4 holes. The first 14 holes took 1:30, the last 4 holes took an hour.

Great course, slow play

It's a great course to play during the week, but try to avoid the senior groups playing skins. They will not allow playing through, no matter their pace. I had to play the front twice.

Looking for a challenge

decision making course (go long, layup, go for the flag, play it safe, straight putt or not). The course is filled with natural obstacles that could keep you from gripping and ripping. You go there and you will be mentally challenged...very nice course!

So bad

I’ve played here a bunch and each time I want it to be my last. I didn’t have a REAL reason bc it was so cheap but as of this last round I do. Cart totally broke down, called the pro shop to try and get a new one out, took forever wound up walking a few holes in 106 heat. Kid with the cart passed us cause he had his headphones in. After I went and calmly told the pro about our experience and he got so mad at me bc we left the broken cart on the course... the cart wouldn’t move and they wound up towing it. Instead of the benefit of the doubt to the customer he was yelling at me and getting defensive. On top of all this it’s an underfunded city course and the greens have weeds everywhere that make putting like an old price is right game where you have no idea where the ball is going when you hit it. Luckily I’m moving in a few months so I can actually keep my promise to myself to never play here again.

Best Value in Texas?

I've been playing this course for a couple years now, ever since the City moved it's municipal course to this location. I enjoy the course, it could use some tree removal as almost any course could but it's an enjoyable muni. It got 100X better last Friday when my wife and I showed up at 6:30pm to walk 9 holes. I had my wallet out at the register and the kid working the desk told me "That'll be $18." I politely told him that I was paying for both of us and he said, "Yea, it's $9 to walk. Also, you're paying for 18 holes so if you want to keep playing after 9 you can." I actually laughed out loud at how cheap the price was. I guess i don't have to wonder what I'm doing after work the rest of the summer.

Fun round! Will play again!

Course in good condition. Staff was great. Pace of play was good. Some holes are hard to navigate if it's your first time playing course.

Soggy

Course was super wet, no yardage markers, bunkers were not in good shape, greens were a little rough on some of the holes

Course is fair

Plays ok, course needs more maintenance. Bunkers are hard as concrete and greens have different types of grass.

Course with a lot of potential.

I’ve played this course countless times because of the good pricing. The course is a typical tree-lined fairway country clubs. Your only obstacles, hazards, or things to worry about on every hole are trees. You’re often punished for good shots here because of the overwhelming amount of trees on nearly every single hole. You can hit a ball in middle of the fairway and not have a shot at the green because of the trees, and even being a few feet off of the fairway, or even on one of the edges of the fairway on any given hole is essentially a stroke penalty because there is no room for recovery shots here, just pitch outs into the fairway. I’ve played here a ton and the pace of play has always been pretty bad. No one ever wants to group up and pretty much no one ever wants you to play through. If you’re a solo player you’re better off at the campus course. Lastly, you’re left guessing on most approach shots as to how far you are. There are no 150 used poles, just faded spots on the fairway somewhere that you’re either left driving around looking for, or you can never find it. Sprinkler heads very rarely have yardage’s in them. I don’t like using range finders so I was left guessing how far I was a majority of the time because of poor yardage markings. Grass in great condition all over course though. Greens were in great shape all around.
I like challenging courses in the sense of trying to make recovery shots, avoiding hazards, elevated/ de-elevated greens, and saving strokes with your short game, but there’s not room for much of that here. If you’re incredible off the tee and can place the ball exactly where you want it in the fairway, you might like it, but if you like to save strokes on your game through wedge play and recovery shots, you’re going to have a rough time.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Nice tight challenging layout. Would definitely recommend.

Needs some dry time

Hole# 14 fairway has not been mowed in a few weeks and hitting out of the fairway was like hitting out of rough.
Makeshift cart path between holes 6 and 8 is a disaster waiting to happen.
Greens laced with poa annua making putting difficult.

Conditions were good considering the weather we've been experiencing.

Good course

B/c of all the recent rain the course was still very wet, but we were all happy

City Course @ College Station

We found the course to be rather challenging with tight fairways and angler greens unfortunately there has been so much rain in the area the ball would stick and of course cart path only with a lot of spots you’d lose a shot if not leaced up tight but we will play it again on our next trip to town.

Course is BOGGY right now

I play this course regularly and it is excellent for a good price. With all of the rain lately it is just an absolute swamp. The greens are good overall and the tee boxes are fine but the fairway are hit or miss. I hit some great drives that would end up in a bog right in the middle of the fairway! If we get some dry weather it will be in great shape but right now it is just boggy and squishy all over the fairways.

Lovely Tree Lined Course

The course was in excellent condition with nice green fairways and fast greens. Although there are lots and lots of trees on the course they are not detrimental if you hit a fairly straight ball. The only downside was that there was a few water hazards that didn't appear to be marked and we had no idea where the hazards were as we didn't have a course planner.

Overall, it is a great course with friendly & helpful staff. I would definitely recommend playing it if you are in the area.

Valid dates: Dec 01, 2019 - Feb 16, 2020