Royal American Links Golf Club pays homage to the birthplace of golf, the seaside links of Scotland, an inspiration that is also reflected in the architecture of the clubhouse. The 18-hole course was created in the traditional link-style but with added features not typical of the classic design including water coming into play on nearly every hole. There are also large, deep bunkers protect the sloping greens, many of which are double-tiered. Royal American Links Golf Club's signature hole is the par-3 12th. Its green is guarded by a not only a large rock wall but also water to the front and left. There is a large bunker to the left of the green that will swallow any errant shots but players with a sharp short game will be able to manage.

Royal American Links
Silver (W) 72 5172 yards 69.6 123
Scorecard for Royal American Links
Gold M: 73.2/133 532 352 336 183 340 414 447 207 552 3363 526 426 190 423 598 364 192 328 449 3496 6859
Black M: 70.7/132 518 324 323 163 320 388 422 189 501 3148 491 393 161 418 581 333 168 304 410 3259 6407
Green M: 68.6/127 W: 73.9/133 471 299 281 158 315 364 397 174 471 2930 454 369 151 383 557 323 158 283 396 3074 6004
Silver M: 65.1/119 W: 69.6/123 429 238 212 142 271 335 349 145 416 2537 411 320 120 293 464 266 135 261 365 2635 5172

Year Built 1990
Architect Dr. Michael Hurdzan (1990) Craig Schreiner (1990)

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Discover Welcomed
Dress code Collared shirt required

Excellent course

The course was in excellent condition with the only exception being some bunkers. Pace of play was great. The location of the creeks and water made it difficult. Didn’t like having to use 3 woods off the tees on par 5s. Overall, very enjoyable!

Great condition except for bunkers

The course was in great shape except for the bunkers. Although they were raked well, the actual sand was very thin making the bunkers hard. Also spotted some large rocks. If you stay out of the bunkers, the rest of the course was fine. Greens were fast and the fairways and rough was dry. Fun place

Excellent track in desperate need of a ranger

Maybe 20 cars in the parking lot, played the front in 90 mins, couple water soaked bunkers but overall in great shape.

Waited 20 mins on the 10th tee box then decided to drive up to see what the hold up was. 3 groups on #10, 4 groups on #11, and another 3 on #12 all behind a foursome playing the slowest golf I’ve ever seen.

We skipped ahead to #13 and not a soul on the course ahead of us.

No ranger combined with no cartgirl & no water coolers on the course with a heat index of 105 made it unplayable.

Beautiful Course

The course was beautifully maintained. Even with all the rain we have gotten recently, the fairways and greens were in great shape. The bunkers were partially wet/muddy at times, but that’s to be expected with the weather. The greens were fast but true. The course is challenging but fair. I will definitely be back.

Mostly Great Condition - Terrible Pace

Pros: The condition of the course on the tee boxes, fairways, greens and the driving range were outstanding. The layout is interesting enough and provides a decent challenge for a mid-handicapper. The scenery is also very nice. Also, a very nice looking clubhouse as well.

Cons: The bunkers were not very good, most weren't raked, some had been completely abandoned, such as the long bunker that lines the picturesque green on the par 3, #12 hole - it looked like a war zone, it was very disappointing.

The biggest gripe is probably the pace of play. I play here on average of once a year. On a normal weekend my group plays as early as possible and typically finishes between 3-4 hrs. I've never finished in under 5 hours at this course. The course does not appear to provide rangers to encourage a good pace of play either.

Between the bunker conditions and pace of play it's a hard sell given the price of this course with so many other gems in the area at a better price.

Commented On 10/17/2017

Thank you for your feedback. We're constantly and consistently putting all of our efforts into making conditions great, so we appreciate you noting the Pros and we are definitely working to improve bunkers. We are disappointed to hear that pace wasn't to your standards - we didn't have any complaints over the weekend, and our starters were monitoring times per usual. We apologize if there was oversight on the part of our rangers and we will review your feedback. We hope you would consider giving us another shot in the future.

I have played twice this year and it has been sunny and windy both times. I love the layout and will keep coming back

Commented On 10/17/2017

Sorry we missed the chance to say THANK YOU back when your reviewed the course. But...THANK YOU! We appreciate the kind words and hope you've had another chance to join us this season :)

Excellent bet if in Coliumbus OH area

Played on a whim and enjoyed the course. Except for the power lines crossing the 1st and 10th tee shots (which killed one of my tee shots), definitely feel like you're out in the country. Course has good variety in design and was in good condition.

Commented On 03/15/2017

Thanks so much for the great review, RavensGolfer! We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and hope you'll visit us again when you're in the area!

Very nice course

very nice fairways and greens water comes into play on a lot of holes.

Commented On 06/24/2016

Thanks for taking the time to review our course, hope to see you again in 2016!

Secluded

Typical winter conditions. Just good to get out and play in Feb!

Commented On 06/24/2016

Always nice to get in a winter round! Thanks for the review, hope to see you again this season!

December Golf!

December golf was amazing ! Staff was friendly & had a good sense of humor. Beer was a lil pricey, $18 for a 6 pack of Miller lite. Greens was a lil hard to play with all the sand but I guess being December I really can't complain. Would love to play again next year when it's warmer. Definitely would recommend everyone go play this course.

Commented On 06/24/2016

Thank you for the great recommendation! It's always great when you can get out in the winter and have an enjoyable round. Hope to see you soon!

This course is top notch. Will definitely play again. Well worth the money

Commented On 06/24/2016

Thank you for the fantastic review! Hope to see you again soon.

The past year has been very good to Royal American

Much improved course. Great greens! Bunkers are well maintained. The areas that needed attention are getting it. Staff was great and they have a nice selection of craft drafts. Cart paths need work, but no reason to not make the drive out. Well worth it.

Great place to play

Played here before & the course never disappoints. The greens are near perfect.

Poor weather

Fun course

This was my first time playing Royal American, and it was pretty fun after it stopped raining and lightninging. I did have one of my worst rounds in a while here but if I didn't hit six balls in the water, it wouldn't have been that bad. Even after some rain the greens were still pretty fast. After the round I went to get something to eat, and it was 3.25 for a hot dog. I've never seen a hot dog that much overpriced. Anyway it still was pretty good. With everything I said the round was pretty fun and I hope to come back soon.

Five and a half Hours

Nice course but five and a half hour round. I get it was Saturday but no rangering observed. Lost interest at the turn but a great chicken salad sandwhich.

A great course to play!

This course was in great condition, considering the amount of rain we've had in the Central Ohio area. The pace of play was a little slow, but everyone seemed to be out taking advantage of the best day for golf in about a month. The staff here is excellent, from the bar/grill, to the pro shop, all the way out to the grounds crew. I would recommend this course to anyone, and I will be back to play here soon.

Totally unenjoyable experience - stay away from Royal American

I met up with a buddy from college for a weekend of golfing in Columbus. We played The Players Club, Longaberger and Royal American.

I dont know if I would even play Royal American again if it were free.

Pro shop manager was rude and tried to argue with me when I said we just golfed 18 holes and never saw a cart girl and that that water jugs were either empty or hot water in them. It was extremely hot and humid. No water to be found in any of the coolers on the course and no beverage drink cart as they were using the cart girl to prep for afternoon private outing.

Course cart paths are in horrible shape. The bunkers have zero drainage and almost zero sand.

My recommendation would be to go elsewhere.

Great course.

Unusually busy for a Monday. Great pace of play tho. Great weather and great course.

Great Course - Previous Weather didn't agree

The course was really nice. The previous days had saturated the fairways and greens. By the time we made it out it was cart path only and there were only a few spots of standing water. The greens dried up quickly and played really nice. The pace was one of the only downfalls. There was a log jam due to some scheduling issues but I will say the staff's friendly nature helped quite a bit. Andy, the assistant pro, outlined the course really nicely for us and was just a pleasure to speak with.

I've started playing more gold this year. I've played several courses around Columbus. So far this is the nicest one and with golf now it's a great value. The course is well kept. It provides challenging holes as well as some to redeem your game and leave feeling good about yourself.

Valid dates: Aug 15, 2019 - Aug 31, 2020