Omni La Costa Resort & Spa - Legends Course

Golf school / academy: Yes - "La Costa Golf Academy"

Metal spikes allowed: Yes
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is at a resort convenient to the city worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers entertaining clients a bucket list/top 100 pick   Challenges include bunkers water hazards undulating greens   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views patio dining

"La Costa just OK"

cory94's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/17/2018

Too many, way too many birds. Dung all over except greens., but greens so so anyway. The spray used ruined my white golf shoes.They should let you know ahead that at the tee time booked you won't finish because tournament on that day.

"A little rough around the edges"

Benedict9997017's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/10/2018

As a former PGA Tour stop, I was expecting more pristine conditions. I remember the rough being really lush and green, and at times punishing, but the dormant Bermuda was fairly easy to hit out of. I remember the first time I played here I would lose balls a yard off the fairway because the rough was so thick. Greens rolled fine, but they weren't in really great shape. I got a Hot Deal, but considering the conditions, the $75 (before GN fees) was a little pricy. Pace of play was pretty good, considering I teed off at 12:30 on a Saturday and the round took just over 4 hours.

Commented on 02/14/2018

Benedict9997017 thanks so much for playing with us and for the feedback! We have lots of thick rough on the Legends Course, where we overseed with Rye. We want the Champions Course to play firm and fast. Greens are rolling nicely but we need rain! :) Keep us in mind for future rounds and thanks again for sharing your thoughts. Dustin

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/04/2018

u000005889959 thanks for playing with us and for sharing your feedback! Dustin

u725420034's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/28/2018

Commented on 02/15/2018

u725420034 thanks so much for the great review! Hope to see you out again soon.

Commented on 02/14/2018

u725420034 thanks so much for the great review! Come back and see us again!

"Simply a great place to play"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/26/2018

Solid course - 16/18 greens were in very good condition. One was due to ducks crapping all over it - literally was unplayable. The other was due to too much water and was a combination of grass, dirt, mud and filled in new grass patches (hoping they fix this on soon)

I would play this course again without hesitation! Great track!

Commented on 02/15/2018

u714956619 thanks so much for the great feedback! Assuming you played the Legends Course - we are trying to come up with a humane way to handle the hundreds of coots that make our course home for the winter. On the other green (probably #2), we are working through some shade and air movement issues on the back of the green. Thanks again for your review and hope to see you soon. Dustin

"Great atmosphere for all levels of golf"

Artiegolf1970's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/21/2018

This place is always a pleasure to come and challenge your golf game . They have tees to suit all levels of golfers . Staff are friendly and the facilities are exceptional .

Commented on 02/15/2018

Artiegolf1970 thanks so much for the great review and hope you can come back to see us again soon. Dustin

"Always fun to play but..."

hammer74's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/14/2018

La costa offers some of the finest golf course in North San diego and we love coming out here to play. Conditions are for the most part in good to excellent, although there are a few holes where there are lots of bird poop all over the tee and green (which we hope the management can address at some point).

One factor that makes coming here less fun is the fact that they reserve one course for members only so there is only 1 course available for play for public and resort guest. This is such a downer given that if you are staying here, you do not want to play the same course twice when there is another course available. Why don't they just reserve some slots for the members and let resort guest have some slots for both courses? I know they want to keep the members happy but what about resort guest?

Golf staff was friendly and efficient. Proshop was well stocked. Driving range - mats were kinda worn off and old which was not up to par for a course that charges premium for golf.

Greens are pretty nice. They rolled true. Well maintained.

Bunkers well stocked and consistent.

Layout was ok. Some interesting holes although i feel a bit more claustrophobic at Legends with some homes very close to the holes.

i still prefer Champions over Legends but didnt get a chance to play that since it was blocked off for members that day.

Commented on 02/15/2018

hammer74 thanks so much for playing with us and for your feedback! Certainly understand your desire to play both - we do alternate member only course daily. It's a delicate balance keeping everyone happy but we do our best. :) Hope to see you again soon. Dustin

Klasmec's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/04/2018

It was a rough start with getting onto the course. So much going on and its a big resort! Lots of tourists and stuff! You will see what i mean!

The staff was friendly...

The course was nice after about 3 or 4 holes. The greens were a little sandy, fast, and slow.... but thats golf for ya! Its a bit expensive for food but then agaim, its at an expensive resort.

I booked it on golfnow and got a good price. We would never pay over 100.00 TOP!!!!

It is a ptetty course. The trees, water, homes flowets etc all very nice.

On the first hole, the bridge seems to be in the middle of the fairway making it a little tough. Coiple other little complaints .... but overall its nice to play...

Commented on 02/15/2018

Klasmec thanks so much for your review! Glad you enjoyed it and yes, always something happening at La Costa! First time on property is a little intimidating - I would recommend using our complimentary valet parking for the best arrival/departure experience. Hope to see you again soon. Dustin

"La Costa way too much"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/27/2017

Very overpriced for poor condition, slow play and mediocre layout. Extremely busy also. I’d recommend finding another course for this kind of money!!

"Average"

hammer6660's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/25/2017

Really disappointed in the conditions. Isn't this supposed to be a premier course?

Many greens had sections of sod that were being replaced.

Greens were over sanded. Fairways not that great.

"Bird droppings and a two some that CANNOT PLAY GOLF"

adicom's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/19/2017

I have played La Costa many times, probably 50 or more. I love both courses and layouts. The greens on Legends were sanded but rolled true. Some bare spots. The issue was BIRD DROPPINGS WERE EVERYWHERE. Literally stepping in piles and putting on a green filled with clump and piles of bird excrement. Coots are the issue, thousands of them Somehow they need to be reined in. Then a twosome in front of us taking 10-15 fairway shots. Not exaggerating, and no marshal to tell them to let us play through or even to hurry them up. We finally passed them on 7. The group in front of them was on 11 when we finished 7. The staff needed to be on this. The pace was great after passing them. But the bird droppings must be addressed.

"Great Course and Staff!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/12/2017

I live in the area and have been wanting to give this course a try. The course did not disappoint, my game on the other hand....

The staff was phenomenal in guiding us from the check in all through post round. Once you get set with your cart, you'll see some great views as you warm up. It would have been a challenge to get to the driving range without the staff pointing us in the right direction.

The course was in great condition and the pace of play was in line with our game. For the majority, the course has some give for a few errant (because we all have them) and give you a chance to compete.

Of course the weather was perfect, but when is it not in this part of town. Dustin and the team took great care of us and I'm sure will take great care of you too!

"Good older course"

chucklehead51's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/04/2017

Had a chance to play La Costa for the first time last week. Followed a junior tournament, so pace was great as most players were done on the course.

Nice layout with good variety of holes. Fair amount of parallel holes with few holes that would be considered memorable. Overall good condition with fast, firm greens. Some patches on greens where repairs had been made but no real problem. Staff was great and facilities are top notch. Would happily play here again but would not pay over $75 as there are more interesting courses in the area.

Only real down side is the chaos in the parking area in front of the clubhouse. This entrance area serves not only the two golf courses, but the entire hotel, function and food venues, so there are tons of cars converging on this small area at the same time. Just poor design from back in the day.

Commented on 12/15/2017

chucklehead51 Thanks so much for playing with us and glad you enjoyed the golf experience! Come back and see us again soon.

"Shelley Archibald Review"

AndrewA13's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/28/2017

My overall experience of this course was supurb. Dustin Irwin recommended my son and I to golf at Omni La Costa. We had a great breakfast at Vue in the resort before our round. All of the staff was exemplery, from valet to starter. Every member of the La Costa staff greeted us with warm welcomes and made the experience relaxing and luxurious. The course was in excellent shape and our round of the Champions Course was perfect. I would recommend this resort and course to anyone.

Commented on 12/02/2017

Thanks for playing with us Shelley! Glad you enjoyed your experience and looking forward to having you back again soon.

"Staff is top notch / course layout and conditions are great"

Jepeter2's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/26/2017

First time playing the course in my backyard.

Staff - very friendly, knowledgeable, and overall great people. Genuinely care about putting the customer first Ina hospitality setting.

Had the pleasure to meet and speaks the director of Golf and some of the other staff members. Unbelievable people making the experience that much better.

Looking forward to playing again soon!

"Over priced and underwhelming amenities"

MikeVegas777's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/26/2017

I have played this course 4 times this year (3 on the Legends and 1 on the Champions course). For the $ spent you’ll receive a better value playing The Crossings or Arrowood. The Legenda course is in much nicer shape & condition. The Chanpions course has a Basic layout and your garden variety offering of hotdog, brat, turkey or Roast Beef sandwich and tuna cup/wrap provided a lackluster experience given the price charged for the round.

Commented on 12/02/2017

MikeVegas777 thanks so much for sharing your feedback and I'm sorry to hear you felt underwhelmed. We will certainly take your comments into consideration as we continue to make improvements to the golf experience. Feel free to email me directly if I can ever be of assistance dustin.irwin@omnihotels.com

"Value"

rpaiko's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/20/2017

This older iconic destination is worth what I paid $60. Fine people, good condition but not memorable. Still glad I tried it out. Nice to blend in with the rich and famous.

Commented on 12/02/2017

rpaiko Thank you for submitting your review and we look forward to having you out to play again soon.

"Very playable for all levels of golfers! In great shape"

HappyGilmore31's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/19/2017

The Legends Course is not nearly as difficult as the Champions 18 but it's in way better shape. Greens roll true at a good pace but are kept soft making them receptive. Few areas where patch ups have been made are usually not where the cup is cut. Nicely kept fairways and tees along with the friendly staff made this an enjoyable round. Champions course still gets my nod as the better layout but lots of fun can be had with the Legends.

Commented on 12/02/2017

HappyGilmore31 thanks so much for playing with us and for the positive comments. Looking forward to having you back again soon.

uLHYR4917LH's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/06/2017

Commented on 12/02/2017

uLHYR4917LH Thank you for the recommendation! Hope we see you again soon!

"Great layout, but not great conditions."

HappyGilmore31's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/05/2017

Omni La Costa is a course I was very excited to play, having heard great things. I went in with high expectations and unfortunately came out a little disappointed. The course itself is great, nice layout with plenty of well placed bunckers. Unfortunately most of those bunckers were rocky with very little sand. Greens rolled at a nice consistent speed but through the green dead patches of grass everywhere made finding a good lie difficult.